Night Train To Lisbon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night Train To Lisbon Reviews

½ November 16, 2016
Night Train to Lisbon is a disappointing film. It is about Professor Raimund Gregorius who abandons his lectures and buttoned-down life to embark on a thrilling adventure. Jeremy Irons and Melanie Laurent give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Bille August did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ November 14, 2016
A good introduction to the revolutionaries during Salazar's time.
June 4, 2016
A great film in terms of content. It goes deep into plot, showing very interesting characters and merging timelines spectacularly. It's a bit slow-paced with not much dynamic, but it compensates with the rich storyline and the great performace of Jeremy Irons.

A movie worth watching.
½ May 7, 2016
apparently, germans and portuguese are quite similar,, since all the lisbon characters are played by german actors! no, wait, there is a french, a british and a sweden one also, my mistake!
May 5, 2016
It tells an interesting story of love & friendship during a revolution in Portugal. It's a good film.
April 26, 2016
Read the book ages ago and absolutely loved the movie!
April 9, 2016
Excellent film. Recorded it from BBC2 a couple of weeks ago and watched it last night. While I was a teenager in the UK, if I was living in nearby Portugal it would have still been under a fascist regime - thought provoking.
April 3, 2016
Rather dull drama as a teacher stops a young lady from committing suicide which triggers a series of events surrounding an author of a rare book
½ April 3, 2016
Jeremy Irons character goes on a personal investigation into the Portuguese resistance movement of the 1970's. It's never truly explained why, but the drama surrounding his detective work has plenty of interest value.
April 2, 2016
Think this film deserves more credit that it appears to have been given.
An interesting plot, top-notch cast, interesting locations. What's not to like?
February 16, 2016
A beautiful dark story of even more darker time, when in our days you find thrilling but the unfinished end is a tell how we must all change if we don't like our story.
January 22, 2016
If you have an interest in history and a desire to understand the brutality of fascism, this movie is a must. Compelling story line woven together by characters conflicting perspectives provides an immersive experience.
½ December 19, 2015
I didn't dislike it as much as others! I actually quite enjoyed this movie.
December 17, 2015
A ridiculous drama that seems like a cheesy soap-opera, completely unaware of the meaning of subtlety and with everything so absolutely obvious and artificial: the clichéd cinematography, the risible metaphors, the self-help platitudes and the utterly embarrassing dialogue.
½ November 26, 2015
A Deeply Philosophical Story That Is Ultimately Far Too Slow. The Novel To Screen Transfer Is Difficult To Follow, But If You Need A Hint, It All Comes Down To A Key Confession By The Butchers Daughter. War, Betrayal, Intrigue...It Gas It All, Including Some Lively Scenery, But Jeremy & This Story Will Fail To Grip Everyone's Attention.
November 8, 2015
excellent well-paced movie, that explores the dying days of the Portuguese dictatorship and some of its consequences
½ August 30, 2015
Rambling and somewhat bizarre tale of people in the resistance, then and now. Not sure it was a total waste of time, but -- sure was long!
August 6, 2015
The film grabbed my interest in the first few minutes and then slowly let go of it. Raimund, a Latin teacher sees a woman about to jump from a bridge and pulls her back before she can jump. She slips away from him, he follows her and boards the train to Lisbon. That is the extent of the excitement. Thereafter the film becomes a love fest for leftists, with typical complaints that God does not love us and those opposed to leftist politics are at best stuffy old out of touch people. I kept hoping there would be something else to the film but finally gave up on it.
August 3, 2015
While it suffers from a wide range of flaws, Night Train to Lisbon is saved thanks to a well assembled cast as well as a compelling story