Night Train To Lisbon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night Train To Lisbon Reviews

January 20, 2018
The book is drier than the film, but it still lifts the corner on the Portuguese return to democracy. With a patient watch.
½ December 31, 2017
"He was hungry for me, and for life. But the journey he wanted to take was into his own soul not into mine." - Estefânia

We should all be so lucky to encounter such loves; such passions; such danger and historical significance - even if only thru the windows - the souls of others. This is a special film. I'm sorry that so few people see it's significance.
September 24, 2017
Beautiful scenes, in contrast with undeveloped characters. The exiciting youth time during the resistance was recounted in an artificial way; the most intense emotion was not for revolution but due to jealousy.
June 11, 2017
Here it is the movie that killed Lena olen's career, poor acting and just very boring to watch...
April 19, 2017
A thoughtful movie about young people caught up in the final days of the Portuguese dictatorship, and about the lonely man who uncovers their story while discovering himself. Very moving and engaging.
½ March 26, 2017
We haven't gotten through it yet
½ February 18, 2017
What a complete waste of anticipation. Why do this to us???
February 12, 2017
An excellent adaptation of a besteller book, dealing with the after years of a cruel dictatorship.
February 1, 2017
Jeremy Irons stars as a Swiss school teacher who has lead a dull, sheltered life since his wife left him. One day on the way to class, he encounters a woman who is about to jump of a bridge. He saves her, takes her to his class (???) and when she runs off, leaving her coat, he finds a book in the pocket. The book is a light, philosophical volume by a Portugese doctor. He impulsively travels to Lisbon to find out more, finding out that the author died in the 70's, and finding himself involved with a story of resistance, romance and what not among various Portugese folks played by European actors adopting an inconsistent mix of strange accents. For a film about the spiritual awakening of a dull man, it's awfully stilted and not immensely engaging. It has a great cast ... Tom Courtney. Bruno Ganz, Charlotte Rampling, Christopher Lee ... but they are not given a lot to do, and all seem to be acting in their own separate movies. I'm not familiar with the book this is based on, but this feels like an awkward adaptation that has left out character motivations and large sections of plot in the interest of fitting it within 2 hours.
December 20, 2016
A ridiculous drama that seems like a cheesy soap-opera, completely unaware of the meaning of subtlety and with everything so absolutely obvious and artificial: risible metaphors, a clichéd cinematography, self-help platitudes and an utterly embarrassing dialogue.
½ November 16, 2016
Night Train to Lisbon is a disappointing film. It is about Professor Raimund Gregorius who abandons his lectures and buttoned-down life to embark on a thrilling adventure. Jeremy Irons and Melanie Laurent give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Bille August did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ November 14, 2016
A good introduction to the revolutionaries during Salazar's time.
June 4, 2016
A great film in terms of content. It goes deep into plot, showing very interesting characters and merging timelines spectacularly. It's a bit slow-paced with not much dynamic, but it compensates with the rich storyline and the great performace of Jeremy Irons.

A movie worth watching.
½ May 7, 2016
apparently, germans and portuguese are quite similar,, since all the lisbon characters are played by german actors! no, wait, there is a french, a british and a sweden one also, my mistake!
May 5, 2016
It tells an interesting story of love & friendship during a revolution in Portugal. It's a good film.
April 26, 2016
Read the book ages ago and absolutely loved the movie!
April 9, 2016
Excellent film. Recorded it from BBC2 a couple of weeks ago and watched it last night. While I was a teenager in the UK, if I was living in nearby Portugal it would have still been under a fascist regime - thought provoking.
April 3, 2016
Rather dull drama as a teacher stops a young lady from committing suicide which triggers a series of events surrounding an author of a rare book
½ April 3, 2016
Jeremy Irons character goes on a personal investigation into the Portuguese resistance movement of the 1970's. It's never truly explained why, but the drama surrounding his detective work has plenty of interest value.