Nights of Cabiria (Le Notti di Cabiria) Reviews

• Oct 14, 2020

The movie's appeal can be summed up in two words...Giulietta Masina. Her energy, sassiness and vulnerability transform an average story into a memorable viewing experience. An inspired performance from a special performer.

• Jul 09, 2020

Fellini at his finest! Best combo of realism and mystical elements. Masina is a gift from the film gods

• May 07, 2020

Federico Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria is a marvelous - yet sad at moments - journey through the life of the larger-than-life titular character thorugh the talents of Giulietta Masina's tour de force performance.

• Jan 14, 2020

I loved this movie. You go through a lot with Cabiria, by the end, you know her. It's hard to agree with her accepting grin, but I guess a lot of things are challenging, like the sermon on the mount.

• Sep 07, 2019

One of the most emotional, moving movies ever made. Giulietta Masini gives one of the best performances in film history

• Jul 26, 2019

always balancing the world on her smile la madonna Giulietta Masinas

always balancing the world on her smile la madonna Giulietta Masinas

• Apr 05, 2019

A classic story of lust and love and how much that can pull at someone's life. Nights of Cabiria opens with Cabiria (Giulietta Masina) and her boyfriend playfully embracing by the seaside -- and then he shoves her into the water and steals her purse. Cabiria is revived by some local boys and runs off by herself, shouting. What follows is a series of similarly humiliating episodes, in which the defiantly positive prostitute Cabiria is hurt, but never broken. This feels weird. Because life has gotten so busy, I haven't written a movie review in over a month. For the one person that might read this, I don't write these for other people - these reviews aren't polished, nor are they spell checked, obviously. I write them so I can learn more about film and think deeper about the films I watch. Anyways, I watched this weeks ago so my memory is hazy, but what an old classic this was. "Nights of Cabiria" was a very interesting story. It's the story about how much someone can get sucked up because of lust. How lust / love can blind one person so much and the consequences it brings. It hurts to see and it's unforgivably comical at times. It's a well written screenplay translated to a solid film. Giulietta Masina did so well as the lead. She really made this character her own. The character isn't the most likable by any means, as she really just an everyday person. But the themes present throughout the film are shown through her character ark, up until the very last scene (which was very nice by the way). This is certainly an artsy-esk film that many people probably won't see if they're not in the film industry, but it's one that's pretty good. I'm not the most into old classics but this is a story with some really intriguing and relatable themes.

• Mar 04, 2019

Nights of Cabiria is perhaps Fellini's best film, if not his most well known. The story is a little more grounded, and the characters more sympathetic than his later, more famous films. Giulietta Masina plays Cabiria, who kind of reminded me of Charlie Chaplin's Tramp in that she's unselfconsiously underclass, rolls with the punches, and full of life. Roger Ebert also believed she was channeling Chaplin. It all builds up to the ultimate betrayal, which can't completely destroy her character.

• May 23, 2018

Nights of Cabiria is a tough movie to watch. It starts with the main character almost being killed, and her life doesn’t improve much from there. It seemed every time there was an opportunity for things to turn around for her, she’d get smacked back down. I struggle with films that are so opposed to their protagonist, because I have a tendency to empathize too much with their ordeal. I appreciated that she had such a positive outlook on things despite all the difficulties she faced, but it seemed to just be the strength of her character that allowed her to rebound. Since there was never a legitimate silver lining, I had trouble finding the same reasons to look on the bright side. I suppose I don’t have the same resiliency. I’m not sure if there is an arc for Cabiria in the film, it just amounts to a series of ordeals where the rug gets pulled out from under her. That being said, it is a well-told story that delivers on the theme of the undying human spirit. Giulietta Masina is superb in the lead role, and does so much emotional work with nothing more than her eyes. She totally blew me away. If this is a style of story that doesn’t faze you, then it might be the best version you could possibly find. It’s just a type of narrative that I find ridiculously hard to watch, but I will say the last few frames of the film were marvelous and did my heart good.

• Apr 23, 2018