No Country for Old Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Country for Old Men Reviews

June 17, 2017
A very simple, and incredibly intense... Uh, thriller? Western? I'm not quite sure which genre to categorize "No Country For Old Men" under. One could argue it to be really anything other than a musical or documentary. Yet somehow it still feels quite disciplined and not scattered or incoherent. The performances are great, and the writing and cinematography are as well. But, the real star here is the atmosphere. The location in which it takes place feels dusty and raw, and almost as though technology hasn't quite become a part of society. And Javier Bardem's character has such a presence, he's unlike anything I've seen before. The film left me kind of speechless, so I'm not sure what to say here. It's very good... Friendo.
June 5, 2017
Wonderful movie, wish I ran out of time before sitting through the dog sh!t of an ending
½ June 3, 2017
It was pretty good, not happy with the ending though.
½ June 1, 2017
It's de-mented, it's de-structive, it's de-lovely. No Country for Old Men sells me on its ruthless and hopeless atmosphere, sparse sound design, tense direction, and penetrating performances. So well that I neglect the relative mediocrity of plot and character development. There is money at stake, and many people are after this, including a sociopathic hitman named Chigurh (Javier Bardem). Local sheriff Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), in awe upon how unconditionally brutal Chigurh is, aims to protect money holder Moss (Josh Brolin), as best as he can stomach. The film succeeds as a two-hour testament as to how unforgiving and dangerous the world can be, as well as a lack of justice when most needed. The Coen Brothers and Cormac McCarthy may not have much else to say, but for your attention, they need not say much else. If anything, it may be better to interpret No Country for Old Men as a horror-thriller, than as a neo-Western drama. Most horror movies fail to send me into a pit of despair, or to get the following out of my mouth: "Yikes! ____ is one scary son of a bitch." And believe me, Chigurh consistently scared me, walking firmly on the edge between reality and urban legend.
May 27, 2017
What's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss?
May 27, 2017
A solid 4 stars for a movie that despite it's length keeps you gripped in both fascination and suspensful fear most of the time. With an unexpected, almost jarring occurrence late in the movie and a sudden and inconclusive ending, it may annoy some but it nevertheless leaves it's mark on you.
May 27, 2017
Rarely does a movie master the use of silence as this one has.
May 25, 2017
Javier Bardem is slowly starting to become my favorite actor with performances like this... beautiful cinematography with beautiful gore action scenes and a serious intensity that starts from beginning to end
April 24, 2017
Probably my least-favorite Coen brothers movie. Bardem's character is so unconvincing, that the movie lacks any real edge and is not the least bit disturbing. Great cinematography though.
½ April 17, 2017
a bit slow for me from beginning to end. The suspense was there, and I liked the airgun shots. I guess it's not a memorable one, like some others I've seen recently. I don't know how this got to be the film of the year though tons of ppl will argue over that!
April 10, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of their work, but the Coen brothers have made much better films than No Country For Old Men. This has to be one of their worst. It is certainly the most boring. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
April 9, 2017
Would have liked to see fight seen at motel, especially with a main character losing life. I liked the ending but didn't at the same time! Wonder how much was cut out of this film?
½ March 27, 2017
2.89 --- The story is hollow and the film leaves you wanting more.
March 25, 2017
I fricking love this movie.
½ March 24, 2017
Exceptional movie with 3-4 different memorable characters. Tommy Lee Jones plays an elderly sheriff who is too old to chase murderers. Josh Brolin plays a guy who gets "lucky" when he finds a case with a lot of cash. Javier Bardem plays the evil mass murderer who no one can stop or even understand. I think the Coen Brothers wanted to show the innocence of the Southwest and how its unprepared for such a danger. Wonderful film.
March 23, 2017
This was a stunning film that kinda blew me away on all levels just from the first viewing.

The deliberate, matter-of-fact death-dealing is so unrelenting you're left on the edge of your seat almost from the first frame right down to the very last.

Recommended.
March 18, 2017
You will lose in a coin toss in this western thriller on the new wave of villainy in society
March 13, 2017
While still an excellent movie, it could have been one of the all-time greats if they include either gun battle. And of course if not for that horrible, horrible ending. It's like everything just leads to disappointment.
½ March 11, 2017
An excellent Coen Brothers film that covers many of the same themes as Fargo, but with less humor for the audience. Instead, we have characters who who more faithfully follow their own particular codes, especially the villain of the piece, excellently played by Bardem. The Coen Brothers have a darker feel here than Fargo, and the characters are more seriously drawn. The key scene is the one of our last sight of Carla Jean, beautifully played by Kelly MacDonald. She is the only innocent character in the film, and she refuses make any compromises either. She remains true to what she believes. The scene of Bardem leaving her house is key and very understated. This is a movie that I'm very glad I saw, despite the fact that crime films are generally not my favorite genre, because it is definitely worth seeing!
March 5, 2017
Long and slower but it kept your interest