No Country for Old Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Country for Old Men Reviews

August 13, 2017
This haunting and eerie tale about a stone-cold psychopath on a manhunt for the 'misunderstood' protagonist is executed perfectly. Exquisite storytelling along with outstanding acting gives the audience a reason to keep watching even with its lengthy runtime. And although some moments seem lacking importance to the plot, the audience remains on the edge of their seats due to the Coens' brothers excellent manipulation of suspense.
August 9, 2017
a great film about a psycho killer who loves to kill
August 7, 2017
But at the same time it harkens back to the roots of cinema, recalling Hitchcock and Leone, and Welles's Touch of Evil, as a combination of the best of noir and westerns. There are so many exceptional shots and lighting, so much depth to the perception of the characters through the mis-en-scene, so much tension, that through this it's all up to the actors to make or break the near-perfection that is the McCarthy source. Bardem embodies Anton like no other could: you can't even look into his eyes without wincing, often steel-cold and horrifically professional (to what profession... who can say?). Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones are also fantastic; we see Brolin often in the midst of an action scene, a moment of 'save-your-life' going on, and one can finally see an actor of his caliber completely breaking out in a role that doesn't require him to ever totally "emote". Jones, on the other hand, gives a compassionate turn in a film that's about the struggles of desperate men in a land without law and order. He's gone through so much that it comes out completely in his voice and eyes, sorrowful but holding back, and he reaches a level of connection with the character that makes the Fugitive look like simpleton TV. Kelly McDonald, who plays Lleland's wife, is also excellent when called upon, especially in a crucial scene later in the film.
August 3, 2017
One of the best movies I have seen, simply amazing
July 30, 2017
A great plot fused with great acting and direction leads to one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life!
½ July 29, 2017
This may very well be the best movie of 2007. It's a great movie, and what amazes me so much is that the plot is actually pretty simple, but it's the performances, which are great, and the whole structure is what makes the pic so memorable. The Coen brothers are known for making terrific movie, but this one may just be there best. Recommended !!
July 23, 2017
It offers a lot of action but the plot seems to subtle and complex for a regular viewer. Everything seems to ambigious. Still its a good tale where a evil reigns til the end and how the hero thinks his time has come if he doesnt quit.
July 20, 2017
The pure desperation of the entire film is presented subtly and smoothly until it jumps out and explodes.
July 19, 2017
It is hard to watch No Country For Old Men. It's teeth-clenchingly intense and pretty bloody. It's hard to get your audience to cringe during fight scenes and I think I may have cringed more from this movie's sheer intensity, bloody violence aside, (in a good way) than any other movie, besides maybe Dogtooth or Hard Candy. No Country is a pretty special movie, as it manages to make you afraid to go to sleep without putting anything supernatural in it. It reminds you how we as humans can do evil that the most disquieting horror movie can't even come close to portraying. Part of its ability to unnerve, too, is that all of this could really happen. The Cohens successfully threw together a western and a horror movie at the same time, the plot of which being completely plausible in real life. It has a sort of godlike figure as the villain, and it is supposed reminds us that the world works in mysterious ways, I think. Watching this movie, I couldn't help but think of the ancient myths in which gods visited regular people, disguised as humans. That must be how Tom Bell and Lewellyn Moss felt as their lives began to revolve around this man, Anton Chigurh, coming after them. This movie is very manipulative. It's almost sadistic the way that it enjoys using the plot to punch you emotionally. There is a reason why this movie won best picture, and it's one that everyone who loves dark movies should watch. It's hard to get a whole lot darker, or smarter, than this.
July 13, 2017
Detached, antagonistic filmmaking - captivating like a force of nature. Full of great archetypal performances and with an ultra-realistic POV that combines the best elements of independent filmmaking with mainstream gravitas.

Javier Bardem brought all of his international passion and channeled it in the worst way possible: as a transcendent serial killer one step ahead of every righteous man on the planet. Anton Chigurh one-ups Mickey (and Mallory) Knox from Natural Born Killers (protagonists all the way) because this villain was an invincible antagonistic presence to not one but two heroes in Sheriff Bell and Llewelyn Moss. It's an incredible challenge to play such an evil and believable character, with such an absurd haircut.
July 12, 2017
No Country for Old Men is a brilliant adaptation with excellent shooting scenes, well-rounded characters and a steady plot with constantly interesting and changing locations to keep you on the edge of your seat.
July 5, 2017
Hair-raising performance by Bardem, quintessential capricious, seemingly never-ending Coen brothers plot.
July 3, 2017
This movie started off really strong, but kind of lost of me towards the end. The performances by Bardem, Brolin and Jones are all great, but I found myself losing interest around 3/4 of the way in.
½ July 2, 2017
The Coen brothers have successfully seized the merciless Wild West into a picture that tells about mayhem and violence to the grandest scale.
June 27, 2017
Javier Bardem is a genius. What an inconceivably genius portrayal of an antihero. A cinematic masterpiece.
June 17, 2017
A very simple, and incredibly intense... Uh, thriller? Western? I'm not quite sure which genre to categorize "No Country For Old Men" under. One could argue it to be really anything other than a musical or documentary. Yet somehow it still feels quite disciplined and not scattered or incoherent. The performances are great, and the writing and cinematography are as well. But, the real star here is the atmosphere. The location in which it takes place feels dusty and raw, and almost as though technology hasn't quite become a part of society. And Javier Bardem's character has such a presence, he's unlike anything I've seen before. The film left me kind of speechless, so I'm not sure what to say here. It's very good... Friendo.
June 5, 2017
Wonderful movie, wish I ran out of time before sitting through the dog sh!t of an ending
½ June 3, 2017
It was pretty good, not happy with the ending though.
½ June 1, 2017
It's de-mented, it's de-structive, it's de-lovely. No Country for Old Men sells me on its ruthless and hopeless atmosphere, sparse sound design, tense direction, and penetrating performances. So well that I neglect the relative mediocrity of plot and character development. There is money at stake, and many people are after this, including a sociopathic hitman named Chigurh (Javier Bardem). Local sheriff Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), in awe upon how unconditionally brutal Chigurh is, aims to protect money holder Moss (Josh Brolin), as best as he can stomach. The film succeeds as a two-hour testament as to how unforgiving and dangerous the world can be, as well as a lack of justice when most needed. The Coen Brothers and Cormac McCarthy may not have much else to say, but for your attention, they need not say much else. If anything, it may be better to interpret No Country for Old Men as a horror-thriller, than as a neo-Western drama. Most horror movies fail to send me into a pit of despair, or to get the following out of my mouth: "Yikes! ____ is one scary son of a bitch." And believe me, Chigurh consistently scared me, walking firmly on the edge between reality and urban legend.
May 27, 2017
What's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss?