No Country for Old Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Country for Old Men Reviews

½ May 18, 2019
Um bom filme. roteiro e história interessantes. fotografia sensacional. a edição e evolução achei muito pretensiosa, isso (C), apesar de carregar muita filosofia e reflexões, o filme em si deixa o final aberto at (C) demais.
½ May 18, 2019
*Major Spoilers*
I had to look up the hidden meaning behind this movie. The title actually had a correspondence to what happens but it is very subtle. I honestly did not notice it and was very confused by the ending. So first, I'll start with what I noticed in the movie. No Country for Old Men takes the outcomes of certain roles within a general western action movie and completely reverses them. First, there is the psychopathic killer that actually gets away. Even when Chigur runs into a stroke of bad luck, he still gets away. There is the "hero" that is merely just a thief and seems to be able to get away from the man hunting him down. He ends up dying by minor drug cartel goons while being caught off guard. Even the wife he wanted to protect in the end is killed by Chigur. In the middle of the movie, there is the appearance of a hitman that knows who Chigur is. He appears as someone that can really change the tide of the movie, but is immediately killed by Chigur. This change in outcomes makes the movie awfully realistic and a different movie from the rest.
The most interesting part of the movie is Chigur himself. He works in the same way as natural chaos in the world. His victims honestly have no idea that their last breaths are being taken as Chigur has a casual conversation with them then kills them haphazardly. Especially with Woody Harrelson, who you would assume Chigur would use as leverage is instantly killed by the wince of a shotgun.
Now outside of the action of the movie, is a senior sheriff that is investigating the aftermath of Chigur. This old man is the sole reason of the title and s the most boring aspect of the film. Essentially, the sheriff is still used to the simple crimes of back in the day, where problems were between just two people and you could basically just talk through it. Nowadays, there are brutal crime scenes of a complete massacre and random destruction strewed about with little direction to where anything is going. The sheriff is perplexed by the fact that someone has even been using a compressed air cylinder to break into homes and even kill people. "No Country for Old Men" is as simple as that. The sheriff cannot keep up with the situation and is merely overwhelmed by the complexity and lethality of the people involved.
May 15, 2019
I don't usually like the Coen Brothers and I would consider Western films to be one of my least favorite genres but in between The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) and The Life of Emile Zola (1937) this was a welcome refresher. No, I don't think it should have won Best Picture, I prefer Atonement (2007), however I will admit it is an extremely enjoyable, tense film that features a great Javier Bardem performance and some wonderful Roger Deakins cinematography. This is not a film for everybody because it does contain graphic violence and you will have to have tolerance for the Coens' self satisfied dialogue.

Sociopathic hit man Anton Chigurh, Javier Bardem, is chasing Llewellyn Moss, Josh Brolin, who has stolen a briefcase of money from drug dealers he found in the desert. It quickly emerges that Chigurh simply enjoys murdering people and we see a myriad of victims be murdered in creative ways as he pursues the crafty Moss. Moss's wife Carla Jean, Kelly McDonald, has been sent to stay with her mother but her concern for her husband increases the longer he is gone and she reaches out to Sherriff Bell, Tommy Lee Jones, who she believes can protect Moss.

Never let it be said that the Coens don't know how to blend comedy with graphic violence and you get a lot of that here. The whole film is essentially one long chase and the directors and the screenwriter know how to keep the story engaging and interesting even as the characters would be thoroughly dislikable in a flatter film. When we witness Moss desperately trying to pull the briefcase of money out of an air duct as the unstoppable force that is Chigurh approaches it was a nail-biting moment as well as being one that elicits nervous laughter. Even the dark penultimate scene of the film has an undertone of humor to it and although I was horrified I was also tittering to myself. This blend makes the film a really fun romp but is deceptively well constructed as it is incredibly difficult to make such dark material entertaining and keep audiences engrossed.

All of the characters were very simple and they don't exactly experience arcs but I still felt myself rooting for Moss even as I was entertained by Chigurh's antics. The overacting present in all of the Coens' movies is something I have never been quite on board with and the presence of the usually wonderful McDonald giving a performance I didn't like irked me. Some humor was mined from this approach but I always find myself being more annoyed with how smug and self satisfied this seems instead of finding it funny or disturbing. Bardem is of course great as he convinces as a very creepy sociopath with his sunken face and precise delivery. If this was a foreign film maybe I would be more accepting and I do admit that what it does is very impressive because I have seen so many films fail spectacularly in trying to imitate the style of the Coen brothers.

I suppose the meaning of the film was that evil will always prevail. We see the evil figure of Chigurh triumph over all of the characters who attempt to make moral decisions in the film and it doesn't appear that his reign of terror will end any time soon. No, Moss is not perfect but he does try to be a good husband and is not as unnecessarily violent as Chigurh. It's hard to relate to the nihilistic outlook that the Coens seem to have taken here but if they are to commit to that ideology they have certainly written an ode to it in film form.

This is probably one of the most fun Best Picture winners that you could watch and at just over two hours it's fairly short. Because of that I like it a lot more than some of the epics that have earned the top prize but that don't contain enough meaning to support their lengthy run times. If you like the Coens I'm sure you'll love this and if you're like me I assure you it's still a really enjoyable viewing experience.
May 14, 2019
The Coen brothers know how to keep audiences on the edge of their seats.
April 18, 2019
One of the great crime tragedies of the day, that is masterfully crafted, powerfully acted, and full of provoking themes.
½ April 8, 2019
Dark, brooding & unforgettable. Javier Bardem's tour de force.
April 7, 2019
Another good film brought by the Coen brothers. I wouldn't call it the best like everyone else does but it is really good. The movie did have its downs, like the introduction and the resolution. The beginning just happened so quickly, the protagonist stole drug money and then the pursuit by a hitman and police start. I like quick, but I did not follow what occurred. And the ending, it just slowly showed up, took their sweet time and it wasn't that entertaining. However, despite these parts, the movie is elevated by great acting, cinematography, scenery, dialogue, and suspense. That's what kept me interested throughout. I did enjoy those parts a lot. This is a solid movie. It is one of the best brought by the directors, but I haven't seen all of them, so, this one is down toward the bottom.
½ April 7, 2019
Intense career-defining acting from Bardem and masterful manipullation of suspens by the Cohen borthers makes this a well deserving Best Picture winner
½ March 30, 2019
3/31/2019
Probably the most profound among the Coen brothers' output, to a certain degree I am still unable to fully fathom the underlying message of the monologues by the lead protagonist and had to look up write ups about it. Bardem's Chigurh ranks as one of the scariest characters I have seen on film. Almost all of the encounters had my eyes half closed.
½ March 25, 2019
Desolate in setting and morality, yet overflowing with character and beauty.
½ March 14, 2019
No country for old men was written and directed by the Coen brothers. Really good dialogue throughout the film. Really good acting whether it be fear or dialogue delivery. Great characters from Llewelyn Moss to my favourite of the film Anton Chigurh. The film is also a really good character study of Anton and how we see him become more insane. Good CGI exsept a few animals toward the beginning. The film also has a great style with the Colour and the setting. Very good cinematography with some really great shots. Really good set design with the setting and really good props with the weapons and the cars. Very good story. Great action. The film is also really suspenseful with some really tense scenes. The film also has great atmosphere especially near the beginning. Over all I give it a 9/10 - so close
March 11, 2019
Best movie ever made
March 8, 2019
One of the greatest movies Hollywood has ever produced. The film grapples with evil, moral ambiguity, existential horror, and righteousness. And, it does all this with pitch-perfect writing and an incredible cast.
March 8, 2019
I never got the hype, it was just not something I enjoyed at all
February 19, 2019
Thank you for this all ime masterpiece! Scene, cast, story, camera, atmosphere 5 stars! I can't believe how fast the time flies but this movie is still GOLD
February 19, 2019
I first saw this in the theatre when it was released in 2007 (when I was soon to be 40). It is set in Texas in 1980 (when I was turning 13). Watching it again in 2019 (when I am currently 51), its larger theme, about changes in society/the world making it more difficult for old men? to keep up/stay engaged, struck me a bit harder. Tommy Lee Jones plays Ed Tom Bell, the old sheriff who comes to feel that the world (of crime) has moved into a new era (new terrain/country) with the scourge of drug-related violence hitting West Texas hard. He(TM)s ready to retire. This is not what I remembered about the film. Instead, I remembered it as a thriller, with Josh Brolin(TM)s scrappy welder, Llewelyn Moss, stumbling onto a drug deal gone wrong, escaping with $2 million dollars in cash, and being pursued by relentless psychopathic killer Anton Chigurh (played scarily by Javier Bardem in a really bad haircut). After all, the tête-à-tête between Brolin and Bardem takes up most of the movie, as we see their agentic/instrumental moves in detail (e.g., buying tentpoles and taping them together with coat hangers in order to retrieve the bag of money from the air vent in the motel). The scenes with Jones and his wife or with his old friend (Barry Corbin) seem almost like asides?, standing apart from the narrative. Are they really the key to writer Cormac McCarthy(TM)s themes (and the Coens(TM) screenplay which draws directly from his book)? Certainly, these scenes link us to the title of the book/movie and the sense that the world has become damaged and worse " or simply a young man(TM)s? game. However, I(TM)m not sure the air of melancholy induced here and in some of the amazing cinematography by Roger Deakins (at night, particularly) manages to overcome the ultra-violence onscreen (there is a lot of blood and death); I wish it did. I(TM)m also not quite sure the point that chance rules our lives (certainly a cornerstone of Anton Chigurh(TM)s philosophy and a key factor in most of the major plot turns) is debated well enough. After all, chance may provide both opportunities and obstacles for us but the way we respond to chance events seems to dictate how they play out. Or not. Moss couldn(TM)t escape the inexorableness of his fate once things cascaded. Perhaps the only solution is to step out of the melee altogether, as Ed Tom Bell chooses to do when he retires " but this may be a luxury for old men? (and women) and comes only when the time is right (i.e., not at 51). Until then, we will still have to contend with and attempt to control the random? changes in our lives and the world, even if it worsens.
February 13, 2019
The only successful McCarthy adaptation of how one single greedy act ignites a series of violent events. No Country for Old Men is the Coen brothers' best film with masterful filmmaking that excellently intersects the perspective of three leads who are snared in corruption. Javier Bardem steals the movie with one of the most iconic villains in recent memory. Portraying a character who is the embodiment of the unstoppable evil that pervades humanity. Well made beginning, middle, and end.
February 7, 2019
great movie, a must watch
great story that shows the world losing the true ways of the wild west for better or worse
very intriguing characters
acting was top notch
dialogue kept me captivated
nothing really bad to say about this movie, other than it was a bit long and probably could have been shortened by a few minutes
January 28, 2019
The Coen Brothers, the acclaimed writer/directors of such modern classics as Fargo and The Big Lebowski, delivered what may be the crowning achievement of their career with No Country for Old Men. While the plot appears familiar on the surface ("Violence ensues after a hunter stumbles upon some dead bodies, a stash of heroin and more than $2 million in cash near the Rio Grande"), nothing about this film is conventional. And despite being adapted from a Cormac McCarthy novel, the film is pure Coen entertainment with dark humor, unnerving tension, and reoccurring themes of fate and circumstance. At the center of the chaos and mayhem is Anton Chigurh, a psychopathic gun-for-hire who lives and dies by his own warped set of morals. Played impeccably by Spanish actor Javier Bardem, Chigurh's haircut and weapon of choice (an air-compressed cattle gun) draw equal reactions of fear. The fact that audiences receive no background to Chigurh's madness or fate only adds to his mystique. Simply put - Anton Chigurh is the "ultimate badass," friend-o.
½ January 12, 2019
These type of films aren't made to entertain people or give them their money's worth of satisfaction of watching a film.

They are made just for the sole purpose of bagging oscars, golden globes, etc.