No Country for Old Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Country for Old Men Reviews

July 27, 2016
Five stars hands down! We get tired of movies with the same old redundant plot but not this one! Hint, pay attention to the steel canister! Watch it! Enough said!
July 26, 2016
Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem star in the best Cohen Brothers film ever!
½ July 25, 2016
Was blown away by this. Any Coen brothers fan will be pleased.
July 22, 2016
*****
The Coen Brothers give us their best movie to date, with an eerie tone that's helped by Roger Deakins gorgeous cinematography, and an underrated performance by Josh Brolin, as well as a creepy one from Javier Bardem.
July 19, 2016
A visceral, and heart-pounding narrative gives way to a horrible third act. No Country For Old Men does it's terrific cast, and novel concept an injustice by giving in to a weak conclusion, ill-fit for what was originally an engrossing tale.
July 14, 2016
The best movie of 2007, and also the best of the Coen's, this film brings you one of the best villains in movie history.
July 13, 2016
The only successful McCarthy adaptation of how one single greedy act ignites a series of violent events. No Country for Old Men is the Coen brothers' best film with masterful filmmaking that excellently intersects the perspective of three leads who are snared in corruption. Javier Bardem steals the movie with one of the most iconic villains in recent memory. Portraying a character who is the embodiment of the unstoppable evil that pervades humanity. Well made beginning, middle, and end.
July 8, 2016
It was interesting how this film provided a modern take on the classic Western. It was also a really good one at that. Many scenes had a lot of tension to them, and it had a ton of unexpected moments. Then, at the 90 minute mark, the movie pulls the rug out from under the viewer, and it becomes a lot more interesting. This is the finest Coen brother film I've seen yet. In my opinion, it's even better than "The Big Lebowski" - another masterpiece.

After a hunter named Llewelyn Moss accidentally stumbles across a drug deal gone horribly wrong, and nearly 2 million dollars in a briefcase, a serial killer named Anton Chigurh follows him in and attempts to get it back, killing anyone who gets in his way. A bounty hunter named Carson Wells is also hired to recover the money. In the meantime, Sheriff Ed Tom Bell oversees the investigation. Violence and mayhem results.

What I loved about Chigurh was that he was able to accomplish all of his tasks without ever showing much pain or effort. He did gruesome murders like it was no big deal. Since he never showed much emotions throughout the movie, this gave me the idea that he knew exactly what he was doing and he wasn't afraid of dying whatsoever. This made his appearance seem very threatening. Also, it was very hard to escape him. Very few people he encountered in the film made it out alive. Most of his victims stood no chance when he killed him. Also, his character was made a lot better by Javier Bardem's amazing performance. Without showing too much emotion, he was able to send a chill down the viewer's spine every time he enters the screen. He has an ominous feeling to him which makes his appearance look unnerving. Bardem terrifies the viewer somewhat in the same way that Anthony Hopkins' from "The Silence of the Lambs" does. I don't think that many actors could do the same as him. What he did is very difficult to do, yet he nailed it perfectly. His Oscar for "Best Actor" was well deserved. Also, many other actors such as Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones gave great performances as well.

Also, this movie has several of the most suspenseful scenes I've ever seen in a film. For example, the coin toss near the middle is, by far, the best one in the film. Chigurh constantly stops all attempts the man in the convenient store does to escape. When he throws the coin, the viewer is left on the edge of their seats to see what will happen. Also, you probably didn't notice the gentle push-in from the camera which raises the tension even more. Another great scene is when Moss is in a hotel, and he suspects that Chigurh is right outside the door. Moss turns the lights out and points his gun at the door to prepare. The calm moments the viewer experiences keeps them on the edge of their seats, because anything can happen at any second. There are many other scenes where the Coen brothers add background noises which inform the viewer that something bad might happen. It could simply be the sound of footsteps, someone flushing a toilet, or a loud phone ring. It could also be when the viewer knows something that a character in the film doesn't. If a character is walking into a room, it could show you a shot to see Chigurh waited for him/her. This is another highly effective technique which works very well too. I can't think of a single movie I've ever watched which made me feel as much suspense as I did in this one.

Around the 90 minute mark, the Coen brothers pull the rug out from under you, and they make a choice which makes the film a whole lot better. It is so unexpected, and it opens the film up to a whole new layer of pros after it leaves a few loose ends in its storyline, making it ambiguous. I am a real enthusiast for ambiguity. I think that it's great to have in films as it gives them more staying power, and it can lead me to discover new things every time I re-watch them. The ambiguous ending in this film seems simple at first. It doesn't seem too impressive at first glance. However, after thinking about it for a little while, I was slowly able to realize how impressive it actually was. It makes you see the film in an entirely new way, and it makes simple action scenes that we witnessed earlier in the film become much deeper. It was interesting how the Coens were able to provide a somewhat unique take on ambiguity. People who criticize its ending and call it disappointing are missing the point. This is a film which has a deeper meaning. It requires you to think. Just because it leaves a couple plot points up to interpretation doesn't make it a weaker film. Ambiguity isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In conclusion, this was a perfect movie. Chigurh was an amazing villain. I feel like he's one of the best modern villains ever, because Javier Bardem knocked it out of the park with him. Also, his calm expressions were terrifying. Chigurh was reminiscent of Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Also, I've felt more tension in this film than any other film I can think of off the top of my head. To top the film off, once the ambiguity is introduced, it allows the viewer to appreciate the film in entirely new ways, and the film becomes very different on re-watches. This is, quite possibly, the best Coen film to date.
½ July 2, 2016
Overrated, but still greatly original
½ June 27, 2016
Good and very well done, but I don't understand why it's so acclaimed
June 27, 2016
This was one of the most BORING movie, I have ever seen!!! There was NO excitement, boring dialog (what little there was of it). I couldn't wait till it was over. I wanted my 2 1/2 hours back. Thank goodness I didn't pay to see such a crappy, boring movie! This movie deserves a -100 rating from me.
June 27, 2016
I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for this review but hey you asked for the movie reviews. Javier Bardem truly deserved his Oscar.  He was unflinchingly evil.  In my opinion No Country for Old Men has the characteristics of a piece of Realism.  Realism depicts real working class people.  Often times there is no "happy ending."  That is what I saw in No Country for Old Men.  Anyway, I'm not saying I hated this film.  I just wonder what all the buzz is about.  Sure the acting is great but by the end of the film there's no one left to root for.  I didn't really tell you anything about this film.  I'm sure you've heard all the buzz so I'll let you decide on this one.
½ June 26, 2016
The film is so thematically powerful while maintaining a simple chase film that's perfectly adapted and also a beautiful Western. The Coen Brothers have really made a Classic here that no one can emulate.
½ June 25, 2016
Tense, Exciting And Highly Original!
½ June 22, 2016
Typical American western.
June 18, 2016
No Country for Old Men is an immensely overrated movie with too one-note characters, overly simplistic dialogue and themes that are left unexplored. It does have good editing, pretty good performances and some intense scenes, but its mix of genres, although original, is executed poorly and the film ended up being too simplistic and having way too many blockbuster sensibilities to it.
½ June 10, 2016
Just a few pegs below Fargo, but great!
½ June 9, 2016
Horrible, waste or time. All style no substance. No charater or plot development. Just some pretentious bable mixed with Corny gimicky murders.
June 4, 2016
I hated Anton, that's great acting
May 26, 2016
It's grown on me over the years as a gritty, realistic chase film. Top notch cast, especially Javier Bardem.