Oh, God! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oh, God! Reviews

May 29, 2016
A very inoffensive religious film that walks a fine line between preaching its specific faith and offering a universal interpretation to the mysterious force that the majority of the world believes to exist beyond our reach.
September 12, 2015
Theologically I had some issues with it but still a good message for Christians to take to heart.
½ July 3, 2015
Harmless and amusing. George Burns and John Denver are cast well together. (First and only viewing - 6/21/2015)
½ May 5, 2015
While God is in no way represented factually in this movie, it is entertaining. George Burns did a marvelous job, and Teri Garr wasn't too bad, either. And Carl Reiner has to be one of the funniest guys around.
January 7, 2015
Too precious and feel-good for my tastes. I like that God is mostly just a smart and elusive guy though, who is both accepting of all religions and not interested in any affiliation. But as a movie there's really no build... proving God on a talk show or in a court of law isn't exactly that riveting. Coulda been great if it was funnier and less preachy... Reiner takes himself too seriously in this one.
½ September 13, 2014
Ironically enough, it's quite preachy. I was impressed by how well the grocery store scenes were lit and shot.
½ August 8, 2014
Feeling nostalgic, I decide to watch a film from my childhood. Of course, Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Annie Hall also all came out in '77, but nostalgia wants what nostalgia wants. It's good-intentioned but too sitcom-y, although Burns is terrific.
½ April 12, 2014
'Oh, God!' delivers the laughs with George Burns in the titular role.
½ November 30, 2013
Dad: 73
I remember my Mom took me to see it when I was 12!
½ November 28, 2013
good movie but could be more funny.
September 9, 2013
Saw it ages ago, but I don't care for the subject matter.
½ March 7, 2013
"Jerry Landers" (John Denver) is a family man with a steady job at a grocery store. One day, he gets a weird letter telling him to go to a building for a meeting with "God" (George Burns in one of his most famous roles). "God" asks him to get His message out to the world.

"Landers", who is skeptical of the kindly old man who asks for his help, and a non-believer in God, tries to get out the message by any means. He eventually gets on national television, and in front of a panel of religious leaders, who ask him to have "God" answer a list of questions, written in an ancient and extinct language.

Now, "Landers" has to prove to the court of the existance of "God", while trying to defend himself in a slander suit filed against him by a televangelist over comments "Landers" credits to "God", who claims the televangelist is a fraud.

Let me say that, when I first saw this, I thought it was funnier. Having seen it all these years later, the jokes fell flat in my opinion. However, I was not once offended by any joke in the film. The humor targets a lot of questions believers and non-believers of the Almighty ask when questioning their beliefs, but not once is offensive. If you ask me now, the jokes are worth a couple of chuckles.

For anybody who is a hardcore believer, who will walk up to a stranger to give his or her testimony and try to convert the person, I can guarantee you that you will not be offended with this movie at all. The subject matter is handled with extreme care, and is handled perfectly by Denver, and especially Burns.

The performances in this movie are pretty good if you ask me. Terri Garr, who portrays Denver's wife, plays her character as a woman who is skeptical of her husband's believe that he was visited by God, but supports him no matter what. Denver was pretty good in his role, never missing a beat as Burns straight man, and handled his character's transformation in the film nicely.

Burns though is easily the star of this film, and made "God" one of his most memorable roles in his career. Anybody who has seen this movie, or its two sequels have never forgotten Burns in this role. To his fans, this and his role with the love of his life, Gracie Allen, is fondly remembered.

This film is perfect for families, as their is no violence or swearing. Younger children may not understand the message of the film, but might enjoy some of the jokes. Older kids will understand the message, and may have questions about their own faith.

The supporting cast is not well developed in this film, especially the televangelist, who was the most vocal in the counsel that asked "Landers" to have "God" answer the questions they gave him. Personally, I would have liked to have seen the televangelist go to his flock and the media to try to discredit "Landers" in his believe he saw "God". Just having "God" tell "Landers" to call the guy a fraud to help set up the court scene was a bit weak in my opinion.

There is some special effects in this film, but you can tell they were all done by editing. They just don't hold up after all these years. The soundtrack was completely forgettable as well.

In my opinion, this movie is not bad. I would suggest to watch it on television if there is nothing else on.
½ January 4, 2013
This film works.

Veteran George Burns played his role well, as did John Denver.

The result is an enjoyable film with a good message.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 14, 2012
This is one of my favorite movies because John Denver is in it
November 4, 2012
i seacherd for the app for tomatos n der woz NONE DER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #ANGRY
September 26, 2012
So help me me.
So help you you?!
September 5, 2012
I thought this film would be funnier, considering the caliber of talent involved. It did have its moments (all involving George Burns), but the film ultimately falls short. The theology (or lack thereof) ultimately sinks the film and I just couldn't get into it.

But there is a glimmer of good. The film deals with themes of persecution and exposing charlatans. Jerry's belief in God ultimately costs him greatly, making him a laughingstock and almost costing him his family. This is a central theme to many biblical stories, and Jesus Himself warned many times that believers will be slandered and that families will be split because of faith. Very poignant, but gets lost in the muddled theology of who God is.
May 28, 2012
John Denver, how could I take this movie seriously? Give it ten minutes and if you don't at least crack a smile then you are dead inside.
April 2, 2012
A CUTE MOVIE ! GEORGE BURNS AT HIS BEST !