The Omen Reviews

• Aug 09, 2019

Forced story Sometimes the visual effects are kind of cheap bad (or even awful) physics. When Father Brennan runs under the rain, the lightning striking on the fence makes no thunder and never affects him at all. Big plot holes, very abundant. For example, they never tell us who are the ones that stole and killed Robert's son, or what evil cult is it, in case they're of course Mrs Baylock and Father Spiletto (and other hypothetic people). We never get to know that, and I would have been great if they made it clear. The movie bases a lot on what we call "jump scares", trying to scare us by sudden visual changes or scary sounds, instead of keeping the suspense and scare us with some good quality idea.

• Jan 12, 2019

A poor imitation of a great original.

A poor imitation of a great original.

• Nov 20, 2018

Totally unnecessary and extremely inferior remake of the scary 1976 classic. This version is not scary, it is badly put together and uninteresting.

• Sep 15, 2018

Worst remake ever. The Omen (2006), directed by John Moore, is essentially a shot for shot remake of the original horror classic The Omen (1976) directed by Richard Donner. This new remake is like if a child held a camera for 2 hours while someone tried to make an Omen film. The shaky camera work never stops moving. Truly atrocious cinematography. The direction is uninspired as literally every shot of this movie is a rehash of the original, except they managed to make it worse every time. Gone is the brisk speed of The Omen (1976). The pacing of The Omen (2006) is non-existent as they made a near 2 hour movie feel like 3 hours. Horrible editing that jumps randomly whether to a new scene or an awful and not scary jump scare make this movie drag. They did not even get the iconic score from The Omen to at least give you something to listen to as you wish you would die so you did not have to watch this terrible movie. Worse than pointlessly remaking a classic shot for shot, but worse is that they changed the dialogue to dumber phrasing that makes less sense. The characters constantly refer to something that never happened on screen because they cut out parts of the original, but characters act in this one as if these events took place. It's astonishing the number of changes they made for no reason that weaken the story. This movie hardly even makes sense in a modern era, let alone changing sequences to incoherent insanity. The acting is the worst part however. Liev Schreiber is no Gregory Peck. He is as bland as milquetoast and never even sounds like he is consciously speaking. If he were speaking from his sleep throughout the entire film, I would not be surprised. The few times he tries to actually emote, he overacts. Julia Stiles is so bored and miserable in The Omen (2006) that you almost feel bad for her. Almost. She is lackluster and dull during the entire time she is on screen. I cannot believe that they cast these two downgrades from the original as the leads. There is no chemistry or enjoyment here. Furthermore, I just want to complain about how bad Mia Farrow is every time she is on screen. She overacts and feels so out of place. Is this a parody of The Omen or what? It's disgraceful to even have cast her. Lastly, why would they waste Pete Postlehwaite, David Thewlis, and Michael Gambon in this? What an embarrassing movie. Just awful. Please just watch the original trilogy of films and skip this one. I hate this movie and I do not want you to subject yourself to a terrible Omen film. Watch the original 1976 film instead, I implore you!

• Jul 05, 2018

If you’ve never seen the original film (1976) you certainly wouldn’t need to do so in order to experience the almost identical subject matter and dialogue. This film (2006), in my opinion is only intended to modernize the original version. My rating is based on how well the original themes and feel are recreated and or revisited. The first half is non-stop scene for scene which leaves you feeling a bit numb through the second half of this richly evil film.

• Feb 15, 2018

So unneeded. Poorly done in comparison to the original, which used except directing and subtle terror to make giant impression. This one relies in a faster pace to suit those who are impatient, but loses everything but added melodrama and cheapness.

• Nov 15, 2017

The Original Omen is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. While this remake is not bad it does not live up to the original. It does not add anything, except for a better look. That said, it is not a bad movie and if you did not see the original, then you should be satisfied with it

• Apr 19, 2017

I'll have to rewatch this for a review/re-rating since my memory of a movie I saw a decade ago isn't the best.

• Aug 29, 2016

Well where do I begin the directing is horrible the actor is laughable at times the film does suffer from trying to be the same of the original have all the same big moments the film at times seems to fight with itself on what it wants to be overall I don't recommend you check it out

• Sep 22, 2015

The movie that should never have been made. It is a word-for-word copy of the original script, just freshened up for the 2000's audience. An audience, one may presume, that the studio thinks are morons. I like the actors in the remake, but this is just a pointless movie. I guess if you never saw the original it would be just OK, hence the 40% audience score. Unfortunately this remake is a testament to the complete lack of creativity in Hollywood.