Once Upon a Honeymoon Reviews

• May 20, 2016

A WW2 time period drama about the war. I think it should be seen merely to appreciate how outlandish this plot was for a Hollywood blockbuster.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    May 28, 2015

Here's a curio of the type you don't often see: the Hollywood propaganda machine teaching head-in-the-sand Americans (hhhey, that's like me!) about foreign affairs, specifically the gathering storm in Europe preceding America's entry into WWll. And so debonair Cary Grant and saucy Ginger Rogers (charismatic teachers if ever there was!) lightly dance across Europe, with romantic interludes aplenty between countries (tough to qualify in those years as she plays a woman just married!), just one step ahead of Hitler. Its a fascinating goldmine to students of Americana and of WWll history. There's one particularly interesting segment wherein Rogers and character actor Albert Dekker waltz through a pantheon of Hollywood dialects representing the approved Hollywood version of America that makes this oddity worth viewing all on its own, the strains of America The Beautiful playing softly in the background. As a film to see strictly on its own merits ... ehhh, not so much.

• Jan 05, 2015

Possibly the worst script Rogers or Grant ever had. But anti-Nazi flicks were all the rage in Jewish dominated Hollywood.

• Dec 23, 2014

One of my five top Cary Grant films. The chemistry between Grant and Rogers is excellent. While it drifts from romantic comedy to melodrama at times when portraying Nazi villains, this must be viewed in the context of the time in which the movie was made. Unlike today, the lines between good guys and bad guys were not blurred. (The scene in which Ginger Rogers pledges her allegiance to the United States is unabashedly patriotic, and again must be viewed in the context of the times.)

• Dec 20, 2014

Odd romantic tragi-comedy set in a pre-WWII Germany (though filmed during the war). Carey Grant is a radio correspondent who falls for burlesque dancer Ginger Rogers who's engaged to be married to an Austian Baron who's really an undercover Nazi agent. The film has some rather long dull spells and there is one particularly strange moment later in the film when Grant and Rogers are mistaken for Jews and nearly sent to concentration camps. Still, Cary Grant can make just about any film watchable and Ginger Rogers is her usual likable self too, which does make this film worth checking out, even if it's far from a classic.

• Jan 27, 2014

You'd think the combination of Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, and Leo McCarey directing would be a slam dunk, or at least entertaining throughout, but the movie is overlong, and there's some parts that you can tell they didn't have any good ideas for. The movie is able to coast on Grant and Roger's charm, but there's not much else to enjoy in this strange movie.

• Sep 20, 2013

Okay, so maybe I just find Ginger Rogers grating in this one, or maybe I was just in the wrong mood for the film, but I swear to God it took me four sittings to finally grind my way through this film, and I've basically loved everything else I've see Cary Grant in, so I feel like I HAVE to blame Rogers, y'know? Rental? At best?

• Oct 08, 2012

There goes the daughter of Flannel Pants O'Hara Just prior to World War II Europe is slowly getting taken over by the Nazis. An American woman, about to marry the baron of Austria, notices where ever he goes the Nazis follow and the country falls. Meanwhile, an attractive and assertive reporter follows them around trying to get a story. "Don't wait too long. Happiness may pass you by." Leo McCrarey, director of An Affair to Remember, Going My Way, Duck Soup, Bells of Saint Mary, Red Hot Rhythm, and Wild Company, delivers Once Upon a Honeymoon. The storyline for this picture is very good and a nice combination of comedy, espionage, and romance. The character development is excellent and the acting is awesome. The cast includes Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, Walter Slezak, John Banner, and Walter Dekker. "You mean it's up to Hitler who has babies?" "Yes. It used to be up to God." I came across this film while flicking through upcoming movies on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I am a huge Cary Grant fan so I decided to DVR this picture. I can tell you this is an excellent movie with a brilliant theme and outstanding subplots. The execution of this film is perfect and I adored the characters. This is amongst my top 5 favorite Cary Grant movies. "If I didn't trust a woman, Baron, I'd throw her out." Grade: A

• Feb 06, 2012

good rom com that WWII audiences would have devoured

good rom com that WWII audiences would have devoured

• Jan 16, 2012

Not one of my favorites of CG's. Seems to almost be missing a chunck in the middle of the movie.