The Outlaw Josey Wales - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Outlaw Josey Wales Reviews

September 14, 2017
Clint Eastwood stars and directs this 1976 western that I would say ranks up amongst his very best including 1992's Unforgiven.
It is rather opposite to Unforgiven in that in that film he plays an older character who has long since left his gun slinging days behind in order to find solace after the death of his family yet here he goes in full gun slinging overdrive at times.
The cinematography is very polished and matches all the great films from the genre.
Some of the cast members are native Indian actors. What a good job they do. I am thinking of Chief Dan George as Lone Watie, Geraldine Jeans as Little Moonlight and Will Sampson as Ten Bears.
The story concerns Josey Wales (Eastwood) who sees his wife and son murdered at the start of the film by Union soldiers in the American Civil War.
Eastwood has this great ability to deliver some great sarcastic one-liners in his films. However in this film we yet again see his macho side in doing this and killing a few people but making friends along the way to an escape to Mexico.
I always have admired actors who direct the film as well and deliver a great film.
A truly great western film.
September 1, 2017
Fantastic film and a great Western!
½ June 10, 2017
151111 & 170610: There is some fabulous dialogue in the film, some of which is inspirational and some of which caused me to laugh out loud. Great actors portraying great characters in a wonderful story. Some of my favorites were Chief Dan Jones as Lone Watie and Will Sampson as Ten Bears; but I could go on and on. Full of cap & ball action. Totally enjoyable time.
May 20, 2017
He has a name in this one, but everything you love about a gunfighter western is here!
Watch it!!!
½ March 25, 2017
One fun revenge tale.. full of quirky characters and testosterone.
March 5, 2017
Fantastic characters and writing. Almost perfection.
February 25, 2017
A fairly standard Clint Eastwood Western. There are some flashy shootout scenes, but I wasn't too impressed otherwise. I was expecting more from the story. (First and only viewing - 2/25/2017)
February 7, 2017
Awesome western - Clint Eastwood doing what he does best!
January 25, 2017
Probably my favorite of all the Clint Eastwood westerns. I enjoy them all but his is awesome.
January 18, 2017
The Outlaw Josey Wales was a very different type of western for Clint Eastwood, but it remains one of his best in the genre, and as a director. What makes Josey Wales stand out is the fact Eastwood isn't playing a nameless bounty hunter or gunslinger out of retirement, but a man dealing with the aftermath of the Civil War and grieving the loss of his family. This is a man trying to find a balance between vengeance and peace. A man who desperately wants to be left alone, but never-the-less cares for those who get caught up with him and his quest for revenge. I think it's safe to say Eastwood has always been much better at directing than acting, but he delivers a wonderfully tragic performance here, giving Josey Wales plenty of depth, conflict and humour. This may have been his fifth time in the director's chair, but this was the first glimpse we got of what a powerful filmmaker Eastwood would become. He keeps everything moving at a quick pace, developing his characters, building the suspense, staging some terrific action sequences, and throwing in plenty of lighter moments to help ease the tension. Most importantly though, he treats his characters and the story with intelligence. The Outlaw Josey Wales has aged quite well, and remains an extremely entertaining, thought-provoking, and rather poetic film that will surely be remembered as one of Eastwood's best.
November 23, 2016
Young Clint is colddddddd
September 1, 2016
Another excellent Clint Eastwood western directed by himself.
August 24, 2016
The Outlaw Josey Wales is very well acted, directed and competently made and the film looks really good, but it is such an uninspired and typical western feature with not a single original or memorable thing in it. The characters are forgettable, the action is overwhelming and the film is too boring at times despite having some genuinely great moments. It is in the end a very dull, overrated movie that favors style over substance.
½ August 9, 2016
This has a great story and Clint Eastwood's direction and performance are excellent.
June 16, 2016
Eastwood's best film -- as actor & director.
½ May 28, 2016
Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood), a Missouri farmer, is driven to revenge by the murder of his wife and young son by a band of pro-Union Jayhawker militants. The Union murderers were from Senator James H. Lane's Kansas Brigade, which included Captain Terrill (Bill McKinney). After grieving and burying his wife and son, Wales joins a group of pro-Confederate Missouri Bushwhackers led by William T. Anderson and fights in the Civil War. At the conclusion of the war, Captain Fletcher (John Vernon) persuades the guerrillas to surrender, saying they have been granted amnesty. Wales refuses to surrender. As a result, he and one young man are the only survivors when Captain Terrill's Redlegs massacre the surrendering men. Wales intervenes and guns down several Redlegs with a Gatling gun. Senator Lane (Frank Schofield) puts a $5,000 bounty on Wales, who is now on the run from Union militia and bounty hunters. Along the way, despite wishing to be left alone, he accumulates a diverse group of companions. They include an old Cherokee named Lone Watie (Chief Dan George), a young Navajo woman (Geraldine Keams), and an elderly woman (Paula Trueman) from Kansas and her adult granddaughter Laura Lee (Sondra Locke) whom Wales rescued from rape by Comancheros. Wales need to handle Captain Terrillīs posse out for his head before they catch up with him and kill him...

Upon release in August 1976, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was widely acclaimed by critics, many of whom saw Eastwood's role as an iconic one, relating it with much of America's ancestral past and the destiny of the nation after the American Civil War. The film was pre-screened at the Sun Valley Center for the Arts and Humanities in Idaho in a six-day conference entitled Western Movies: Myths and Images. Academics such as Bruce Jackson, critics such as Jay Cocks and Arthur Knight and directors such as King Vidor, Henry King, William Wyler and Howard Hawks were invited to the screening. The film would later appear in Time magazine's Top 10 films of the year. Roger Ebert compared the nature and vulnerability of Eastwood's portrayal of Josey Wales with his "Man with No Name" character in the Dollars Trilogy and praised the atmosphere of the film. On the Merv Griffin Show, Orson Welles lauded the film, calling Eastwood "one of America's finest directors." "The Outlaw Josey Wales" depicts so many topics such as love, hate, revenge, forgiveness, sorrow, life, death, racism, the result of war, betrayal, redemption, solidarity and friendship. Eastwood is his usual self as the quiet but action driven character, close to his "Man with No Name" character as Roger Ebert pointed out in his review. The idea of having Wales lose his family in the beginning and "adopt" a new one along the course of his destiny is quite nice which ends up with fine support by an excellent ensemble cast including Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke, Geraldine Keams and Paula Trueman. Thereīs twists and turns and the cunningness of Wales is a great touch as well. For example his action towards the redlegs when they are crossing a river on a raft which he cuts lose in the middle of the river after just waiting on the other side. Josey Wales is a man who becomes tired of all the violence he has had to see and to take part in, but yet he wants to revenge the killing of his family to be able to move on and leave the violence behind him and to be able to live in peace. I saw "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when I was a kid and I havenīt seen it for years, until I decided to re-see it the other week. I reckon itīs suffers partly from Eastwoodīs direction at times as he hadnīt managed to find his solid direction skills back in 1976 and the acting is not always top notch. The action is full on and I like how Eastwood puts the camera "behind" the guns putting you right in the action. Then again the action is not either fully believable at times. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is good, but I canīt say I think itīs one of his best westerns or for that matter one of the best westerns ever made. Thereīs plenty of other western films in my book that steals the limelight in that genre. Trivia: This movie received a lot of high praise among Native American viewers for its non-stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the film.
May 17, 2016
Clint reminds me of my dad, I like all his stuff
½ March 16, 2016
Another pretty fantastic western from Eastwood. It's a little longer than it needs to be, but I'm glad Eastwood took the time to let it breathe.
February 28, 2016
Just an outstanding Western. Eastwood is amazing. Great storyline. Loved it!
½ January 25, 2016
89%
Watched this on 25/1/16
A forgotten classic, perhaps the best western directed by Eastwood, The Outlaw has a layered story, much denser than what you can expect in the genre with a lot of characters and a relatively fast pace, but with some sort of a slow epic feel. Eastwood's character is as mysterious as his characters from the early westerns and it's extremely well shot. It's really dark at times, surprisingly with nudity as well. It's more action packed and violent than your average western.