The Outlaw Josey Wales - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Outlaw Josey Wales Reviews

September 1, 2016
Another excellent Clint Eastwood western directed by himself.
August 24, 2016
The Outlaw Josey Wales is very well acted, directed and competently made and the film looks really good, but it is such an uninspired and typical western feature with not a single original or memorable thing in it. The characters are forgettable, the action is overwhelming and the film is too boring at times despite having some genuinely great moments. It is in the end a very dull, overrated movie that favors style over substance.
½ August 9, 2016
This has a great story and Clint Eastwood's direction and performance are excellent.
June 16, 2016
Eastwood's best film -- as actor & director.
½ May 28, 2016
Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood), a Missouri farmer, is driven to revenge by the murder of his wife and young son by a band of pro-Union Jayhawker militants. The Union murderers were from Senator James H. Lane's Kansas Brigade, which included Captain Terrill (Bill McKinney). After grieving and burying his wife and son, Wales joins a group of pro-Confederate Missouri Bushwhackers led by William T. Anderson and fights in the Civil War. At the conclusion of the war, Captain Fletcher (John Vernon) persuades the guerrillas to surrender, saying they have been granted amnesty. Wales refuses to surrender. As a result, he and one young man are the only survivors when Captain Terrill's Redlegs massacre the surrendering men. Wales intervenes and guns down several Redlegs with a Gatling gun. Senator Lane (Frank Schofield) puts a $5,000 bounty on Wales, who is now on the run from Union militia and bounty hunters. Along the way, despite wishing to be left alone, he accumulates a diverse group of companions. They include an old Cherokee named Lone Watie (Chief Dan George), a young Navajo woman (Geraldine Keams), and an elderly woman (Paula Trueman) from Kansas and her adult granddaughter Laura Lee (Sondra Locke) whom Wales rescued from rape by Comancheros. Wales need to handle Captain Terrillīs posse out for his head before they catch up with him and kill him...

Upon release in August 1976, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was widely acclaimed by critics, many of whom saw Eastwood's role as an iconic one, relating it with much of America's ancestral past and the destiny of the nation after the American Civil War. The film was pre-screened at the Sun Valley Center for the Arts and Humanities in Idaho in a six-day conference entitled Western Movies: Myths and Images. Academics such as Bruce Jackson, critics such as Jay Cocks and Arthur Knight and directors such as King Vidor, Henry King, William Wyler and Howard Hawks were invited to the screening. The film would later appear in Time magazine's Top 10 films of the year. Roger Ebert compared the nature and vulnerability of Eastwood's portrayal of Josey Wales with his "Man with No Name" character in the Dollars Trilogy and praised the atmosphere of the film. On the Merv Griffin Show, Orson Welles lauded the film, calling Eastwood "one of America's finest directors." "The Outlaw Josey Wales" depicts so many topics such as love, hate, revenge, forgiveness, sorrow, life, death, racism, the result of war, betrayal, redemption, solidarity and friendship. Eastwood is his usual self as the quiet but action driven character, close to his "Man with No Name" character as Roger Ebert pointed out in his review. The idea of having Wales lose his family in the beginning and "adopt" a new one along the course of his destiny is quite nice which ends up with fine support by an excellent ensemble cast including Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke, Geraldine Keams and Paula Trueman. Thereīs twists and turns and the cunningness of Wales is a great touch as well. For example his action towards the redlegs when they are crossing a river on a raft which he cuts lose in the middle of the river after just waiting on the other side. Josey Wales is a man who becomes tired of all the violence he has had to see and to take part in, but yet he wants to revenge the killing of his family to be able to move on and leave the violence behind him and to be able to live in peace. I saw "The Outlaw Josey Wales" when I was a kid and I havenīt seen it for years, until I decided to re-see it the other week. I reckon itīs suffers partly from Eastwoodīs direction at times as he hadnīt managed to find his solid direction skills back in 1976 and the acting is not always top notch. The action is full on and I like how Eastwood puts the camera "behind" the guns putting you right in the action. Then again the action is not either fully believable at times. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is good, but I canīt say I think itīs one of his best westerns or for that matter one of the best westerns ever made. Thereīs plenty of other western films in my book that steals the limelight in that genre. Trivia: This movie received a lot of high praise among Native American viewers for its non-stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans in the film.
May 17, 2016
Clint reminds me of my dad, I like all his stuff
½ March 16, 2016
Another pretty fantastic western from Eastwood. It's a little longer than it needs to be, but I'm glad Eastwood took the time to let it breathe.
February 28, 2016
Just an outstanding Western. Eastwood is amazing. Great storyline. Loved it!
½ January 25, 2016
Watched this on 25/1/16
A forgotten classic, perhaps the best western directed by Eastwood, The Outlaw has a layered story, much denser than what you can expect in the genre with a lot of characters and a relatively fast pace, but with some sort of a slow epic feel. Eastwood's character is as mysterious as his characters from the early westerns and it's extremely well shot. It's really dark at times, surprisingly with nudity as well. It's more action packed and violent than your average western.
January 10, 2016
This movie was an excellent film. Despite the one scene were the characters looked like they were shooting at nothing in the early scenes on there horses galloping in war, everything about Joe is amazing. He is very interesting, and it had Will Sampson. It was historically interesting film, and just one of my favorites.
½ November 11, 2015
151111: This was the second of a double header for me. Started with High Plains Drifter and then moved on to this film. Both are amazing. There is some fabulous dialogue in the film, some of which is inspirational and some of which caused me to laugh out loud. Great actors portraying great characters in a wonderful story. Some of my favorites were Chief Dan Jones as Lone Watie and Will Sampson as Ten Bears; but I could go on and on. Full of cap & ball action. Totally enjoyable time.
½ August 3, 2015
A good adventure film with cool lines and cool cowboys. Trim 15 minutes and its great
July 28, 2015
Clint Eastwood once again kicks ass in The Outlaw Josey Wales: a well crafted and entertaining western
May 25, 2015
Fantastic Western. Eastwood shines as usual.
April 3, 2015
I loved it one of favorite westerns
½ April 2, 2015
A very respectable Eastwood western. His directing skill is just as manly as his screen presence. Straight to the point with no fancy shots. His acting is very restrained and you could argue that he's not a good actor at all. Like other actors like Jack Nicholson, the man has the face of a star. Very authentic. He doesn't say much, but when he does speak it's a memorable one-liner. As director and actor Eastwood knows what is too little and what is too much, and he delivers what is necessary. He has enough confidence in the story to let it sell itself without the help of gimmicks and western cliches. The film is very dark, but Eastwood plays his character in a light-hearted way, when he's not in a violent confrontation or witnessing something tragic, and there's a lot of violence and tragedy in this movie. It paints a very hellish picture of the old west. Some characters are even traumatized. Everyone who joins Eastwood has some emotional damage and have lost everything. The depressing nature of the movie makes the finale feel all the more triumphant because once you've made it that far you might be feeling a little angry at the world and how cruel it can be.
March 31, 2015
One of the best western movies of all time.
March 14, 2015
classic movie. If you like westerns, good acting, interesting characters, or any clint eastwood movie, I would definitely recommend.
February 28, 2015
One of the great westerns. Dan George is amazing.
February 24, 2015
this is a great movie!!!!!!!!!