Oz the Great and Powerful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oz the Great and Powerful Reviews

January 17, 2017
This wasn't awful. Pretty entertaining actually
½ January 7, 2017
Didn't do it for me but great cast.
½ January 2, 2017
The original movie was better than this (much much better)
January 2, 2017
Es entretenida a momentos, a veces se siente larga y lenta, los efectos visuales son buenos, me parece chevere que al principio fuera en blanco y Negro y luego a color igual que The Wizard of Oz, los personajes son buenos, pero a veces James Franco y Mila Kunis se sintieron exagerados, el final fue agradable de ver con una buena conexión con The Wizard of Oz
December 18, 2016
Oz the Great and Powerful is a visually stunning adventure that is actually worth seeing in 3D. James Franco pulls off an outstanding performance in the role of the man who would become known as...The Wizard of Oz and the film even makes references to the classic 1939 MGM movie more than once. Such examples are the movie going from black and white in the beginning with an aspect ratio of 4:3 to full colour with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 widescreen and a cameo appearance from a lion whom we can only presume is the Cowardly Lion. Overall, this film is a witty film that ought to please fans of the original movie even if it can be a bit dark and scary at times.
½ November 21, 2016
Just make a Wicked movie already
November 14, 2016
It's fantastic to anyone who has read all the books.
November 7, 2016
Cute and predictable. Mila kunis improved throughout the movie. Thoroughly enjoyed her character.
½ November 5, 2016
Interesting imaging from Director Sam Rami and Producer Joe Roth!
½ October 25, 2016
Expanding on L. Frank Baum's beloved fantastical Oz mythology, Director Sam Raimi and Walt Disney Pictures has brought us back to the vividly vibrant land before the famous Dorothy ever arrived. Similar to that of Stage Production Wicked, Oz, The Great and Powerful is set almost as a prequel, but would suffer from the comparison.

After pulling one ethically-dubious flimflam too many, small-time circus magician Oscar Diggs (James Franco) is hurled away via hot air balloon from dusty 1900's Kansas to the luminous and timeless Land of Oz.

Given the impression he has hit the jackpot and fortune is his for the taking, it is under this misconception, he is he is pulled into a power struggle between three witches; the doting Theodora (Mila Kunis), manipulative Evanora (Rachel Weisz), and good Glinda (Michelle Williams). Each questions of is somewhat unconvinced by his flashy showmanship, but believes in his abilities to rally their people.

Grudgingly drawn into the epic predicaments facing Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must uncover exactly who is good and who is evil before it's too late. Through illusion, ingenuity and a dabbling of wizardry, Oscar attempts to transform himself not only into the great and powerful wizard they've been expecting but into a genuinely better man.

Like the 'fairy peoples' belief in Oscar, I wanted this production to be as wonderful as it initially seemed, but sadly it wasn't. The acting lacked heart, the script a brain and the direction courage of its conviction.

The Verdict: In a time where graphics can save or destroy a movie, directors have become complacent to the many facets that add to a complete experience. This is a brightly shining example of how to add a new chapter to a story whilst detracting eminence from a legend; personally I'd rather indulge my wicked side.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 29/03/2013
September 22, 2016
Visually stunning adventure!
½ September 4, 2016
I really don't understand the negative reviews for this movie. I actually didn't see it in theater based on the reviews. I finally rented it when I had rented almost everything else in the local Redbox. This was a wonderful movie, some of the special effects are a bit much, but, yet they are in keeping with the style of the much loved earlier movie; in context they are wonderful. I've learned a valuable lesson, not to listen to critics on live action Disney movies! I have now also missed seeing the Lone Ranger movie that was similarly blasted in reviews and I have a feeling that was good as well.
½ August 23, 2016
Oz The Great and Powerful is one of those forgetable Disney films. This is like one of those films where you say to one guy "hey have you seen oz the great and powerful"? And the other guy is like "what movie"? The film is ok. The design for oz is cool and some of the visuals can be great. But all of the characters are forgetable. They really don't try to make you remember them like Snow White or Cruela Devil. It's an ok film not one of Disney's best films but an ok one.
½ August 22, 2016
Oz The Great And Powerful has received a rather mixed reception from fans of the original and its Sequel Return To Oz while I can totally see why many think it was disappointing I personally enjoy it quite a bit, The cinematography is lavish and a feast for the eyes, The special effects are rather stunning,The landscapes are crafted with such elegance,James Franco was pretty good as the wizard and I found many of the other side characters to be likeable and cute but however there is many areas where it is lacking for example, Mila Kunis is wildly miscast as the wicked witch and her makeup was awfully executed, They unnecessarily incorporated a war element that does not belong in this type of franchise, The tone can be rather inconsistent at times also.
Overall I would recommend it 7/10
½ August 19, 2016
Wittily written creative prequel with numerous clever moments that keep you engaged through the few slow patches. Better than I anticipated.
July 16, 2016
Once I got passed Franco's strange mannerisms, and mediocre actress Mila Kunis, the movie turned out worthy of being a sequel to the classic. While the casting was somewhat unappealing, I enjoyed the film based on its story and in the end I came to accept Franco as the wizard, even though I'm not a big fan of his.
July 16, 2016
Love it so much it was the best movie ever
½ July 14, 2016
Just one big, bold word, with an exclamation mark at the end: AMAZING! Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and James Franco all did WONDERFUL! The best movie of 2013, possibly all-time.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - it seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the 1939 movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the (simple) features from The Wizard of Oz (1939) were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - It seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the original movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the simple features from "The Wizard of Oz" were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.