Oz the Great and Powerful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oz the Great and Powerful Reviews

July 16, 2016
Once I got passed Franco's strange mannerisms, and mediocre actress Mila Kunis, the movie turned out worthy of being a sequel to the classic. While the casting was somewhat unappealing, I enjoyed the film based on its story and in the end I came to accept Franco as the wizard, even though I'm not a big fan of his.
July 16, 2016
Love it so much it was the best movie ever
½ July 14, 2016
Just one big, bold word, with an exclamation mark at the end: AMAZING! Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and James Franco all did WONDERFUL! The best movie of 2013, possibly all-time.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - it seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the 1939 movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the (simple) features from The Wizard of Oz (1939) were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - It seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the original movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the simple features from "The Wizard of Oz" were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.
July 11, 2016
Sort of suits well as an inferior, typically-enjoyable prequel to a great benchmarking classic with the imagination and art direction given an update through Disney's trademark approach, resulting the film to have managed a standing rate of 4 stars. Some performances went too much to match the intended level, while the narrative pieces and transitions were short and rough, as well occasionally cartoonish. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 5, 2016
Half star deducted for the Mariah Carey pop song interrupting Elfman's score. Oz was beautifully imagined and kept its fresh, child-like tone while still respecting the original. Oz was sweeter and more fun than I'd hoped.
½ June 19, 2016
A mess of a movie that is difficult to follow, despite its sometimes plodding pace. Franco can do so much better than this.
June 9, 2016
I had a huge misconception in thinking the movie was just a remake of Wizard of Oz. It turned out to be a prequel about Oz which was a good twist. I had a bad experience watching those modern fairy tale remakes. It'll be so cool if Alice in Wonderland and Oz is in the same realm...everything is all colorful and weird...oh wait they are produced by the same people....
½ May 24, 2016
"Oz The Great And Powerful" is just okay and simply lacks the magic of the original classic.
½ May 11, 2016
Well crafted film that often brings us back to the same feelings that made OZ such an amazing film back in 1939.
½ May 7, 2016
this movie is really great with a lots of action and little bit funny too
May 3, 2016
A fun and dazzling adaptation of a classic tale, Oz The Great and Powerful works as both a stand alone introduction as well as a prequel to the classic 1939 film - that only suffers from being somewhat overlong and a weak Mila Kunis performance.
½ May 1, 2016
James Franco's performance is so bad, it made it hard to enjoy the movie, his delivery in every scene is lazy and has zero emotions. It's sad for me to say that I think he has peaked as an actor, I really enjoyed 127 hours but I cannot name another movie with him as the lead that I could say is even good. As far as the story goes? OZ is not the kind of man you root for , he's a jerk and I wanted him to fail. A good movie should always let me in, make me feel as if I'm there with the characters , but I was on the outside looking in throughout the entire film.
May 1, 2016
enjoyed most definitely
April 22, 2016
The Wizard of Oz (1939) is easily considered one of the greatest films of all time; it is a part of nearly everyone's childhood, and any attempt to add to that legacy, especially in film, has always been met with scrutiny and criticism. While this prequel from Disney doesn't come close to the massive standard set by its predecessor, it is still a good time. Oz is now an almost completely CGI animated background, much like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010). Thankfully, the cast, especially star James Franco, is just as animated and help bring this exciting, sometimes touching story to life.
You'll like it if...you are an Oz fan, especially one waiting for a follow-up to Return to Oz (1985).
April 21, 2016
i absolutely loved this film
½ April 17, 2016
Okay, but not nearly as good as I had hoped.
April 8, 2016
This movie suprised me. I just thought it woukd be some other generic Oz movie, but it was really good. The visuals were beautiful to look at, and the characters look the way you think they would if they were young men and women. One drawback for me was Mila Khunis as the Wicked Witch, which was not a good choice. When I see her, I don't think of her as the Wicked Witch of the West. Other than that, if you can tolerate it, you'll enjoy it as much as the first Wizard of Oz.