Oz the Great and Powerful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oz the Great and Powerful Reviews

April 23, 2018
Oz: The Great and Powerful - Well this film left more to be desired it was a great disappointment and i found myself really bored and lost interest in the film extremely fast. I love the Wizard of Oz and i feel it only needs to be a stand alone film no remakes or origin films are needed. Watch it on DVD if you have any interest in seeing it.
Oz: The Great and Powerful - 2 out of 5
½ April 13, 2018
for the kids it is above average (raimi has some frivolity with a weak script), but most of the cast doesn't feel right and the tone is inconsistent - the target audience is ill-defined.
March 27, 2018
Visually stunning but lacks depth.
March 9, 2018
The visuals and effects are brilliant, while the cast is solid and have strong chemistry between them. The prequel sets things up nicely for the Wizard of Oz, with just enough nods to it. Typical Disney entertainment.
½ March 4, 2018
Clearly a knock off of Army of Darkness. Would have been nice to see something original, but alas....
February 26, 2018
There is a great story given to the titular "wizard" how cleverness can be used for good, but it's mostly let down by uneven CGI and and some pretty laughable acting.
½ February 19, 2018
With amazing special effects, Oz The Great and Powerful isn't anything new but still proves to be a worthy Disney film.
February 9, 2018
I'm pretty sure I was less than impressed with this one.
December 25, 2017
Oz el poderoso nos da algo similar que se quizo hacer con maléfica, una nueva visión de una fábula clásica pero está vez desde otro personaje, pero a diferencia de maléfica el director Sam Raimi realmente si supo desarrollar una historia diferente y unos personajes de otra forma que no conocíamos a esto le podemos añadir los personajes secundarios que de igual manera están muy buen desarrollados y la forma en la que se desarrolla la historia, en un punto todo es color rosa y para otro es completamente negro.
½ December 23, 2017
Such a fantastic movie:)
December 22, 2017
I've been a fan of Oz, Raimi and Franco for years. To see them all together in the same project worked out great! And it didn't hurt how many nods to Army of Darkness there were, including a cameo by the man himself, Bruce Campbell!
½ November 18, 2017
With some nice imagery, James Franco with say, *BLEEP* this I want New Muntants or Spider Man! Who the *BLEEP* was all like," Mommy I want to know how Oz is s human instead of the magical man we all know, and have the Witch kill millions of people like a *BLEEP*, please!" NO
½ September 5, 2017
Biggest piece of garbage-poop I have ever seen
August 19, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) So Greg, what was your overall impression of Oz?

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) I thought Oz was a visually impressive movie with a weak story. It sets the stage for the classic Wizard of Oz story as we know it from the classic movie.

SCOTT: Youre right, it was visually stunning. The colors of Oz were dazzling and like all movies these days, the computer effects were extraordinary. The story itself wasnt bad. But somehow all the good parts didnt make an impressive whole.

GREG: I felt they took an overly long time setting the story up. Like the original, Oz The Great and Powerful starts out in black and white. But it seemed to take forever to get to the color portion. There is a lot they could have cut from that opening bit. Then, it took a long time (like half the film) before our Hero had a Main Goal to chase after. I was bored for the first half of the second act.

SCOTT: Yes, they copied the old formula. A tornadic trip to Oz ... segueing from black & white to color ... the hero stumbling upon a group of unusual helpers ... the hero being charged with the goal of killing a witch, etc. But the magic just wasnt there. A few dull scenes were painfully long. And as you mentioned, the set-up at the beginning took an eternity to unfold.

GREG: This is a classic Heros Journey. The Ordinary World of Kansas gives way to the Special World of Oz. Mila Kunis was great as the naive witch/sister spurned by the Wizard. She is beautiful compared to the Wicked Witch. This emphasizes one of the problems with the Disney story-telling worlds. People who are beautiful are good and people who are ugly are bad . We see this transformation over and over again. Witness Beauty and the Beast.

SCOTT: Yes, the film contained most of the elements of the heros journey. At the end of the journey the hero was indeed transformed; he finds himself, and he finds love. Im not sure that James Franco, playing the Wizard, was up to the challenge here. The strongest actors were the three witches, particularly the two wicked witches played by Mila Kunas and Rachel Weisz. The theme of all-is-not-as-it-seems pervades the film. We see this theme most notably in the Wizards magic tricks, and in character introductions, e.g., the wicked witches appear good at first, and the good witch appears bad at first. Greg, whats your take on the Wizard and his goals here?

GREG: The Wizard didnt seem to have much of a passion for anything. He seems content to wander around Oz learning the ins and outs of the world. He *is* interested in the treasure, but it isnt clear that hes keen to get back to Kansas - or anywhere for that matter. Also, there is a little china doll that really adds nothing to the story. In my mind, it looks like an opportunity for shameless merchandizing.

SCOTT: To me, the china girl was a necessary help to the hero but both she and the monkey, as sidekicks for the hero, were far more annoying than they were appealing. Unless of course small children are the intended audience here. Oz came across as designed for 10-year-olds, which is unfortunate because Im sure the filmmakers were hoping for broader appeal. My main complaint was with the movies final resolution. Its a familiar issue -- I call it the Law of Convenient Powers, or LCP. We saw this problem in the Hobbit, too. The law states that, at the end of the movie, beings who previously had shown limited magical powers suddenly, out of nowhere, acquire extraordinary superpowers that get them out of the worst of jams. How convenient that one of our heroes suddenly becomes so powerful at the end. Where were those powers earlier when they were so desperately needed?

GREG: Right. In the writing world we call this Deus ex Machina. Certain characters did sort of pull off stunts that we never saw in the earlier parts of the movie. I know you didnt think James Franco held his own in this film. But I preferred him over the producers first choice for Oz: Johnny Depp. Franco came off as ambitious with an edge, but still with a streak of goodness. Besides, Depp is over exposed in these sorts of roles. After playing the Mad Hatter and Willie Wonka, I have seen enough of him for a while. Let someone else take on the quirky roles for a change.

SCOTT: Maybe it wasnt so much that Franco fell short, but that his character did. Lets face it -- The Wizard of Oz had Dorothy, played spectacularly by 16-year-old Judy Garland. Dorothy was an innocent and quite vulnerable. Franco played a conniving never-do-well. He just wasnt as likeable. At the end of the movie, after we know hes been a womanizer his entire life, are we really expected to believe hell be faithful to his new love interest?

GREG: Youre right. The Wizard in this film was not a good guy in the beginning. He was a trickster, charlatan, and womanizer. In the end he was transformed into something more respectable. On another note, we saw the movie in Flat-2D. I wasnt disappointed. But there were several scenes that were overtly 3D out-of-screen experiences. Flying Baboons jumping, Bubbles Popping. For my money, the extra special effects are not worth it. There was not much in this film that I felt needed to be seen in 3D.

SCOTT: There was a spectacular waterfall scene that would have been great to see in 3D. Other than that, 3D would have added nothing of appreciable value. This movie also suffered from the fact that we know the ending. The first time I saw Wizard of Oz, I had no idea what would happen. A movie in which we know the ending (e.g., Titanic) has to be truly superb to make up for the lack of suspense.

GREG: Its true, this is the origin story of the Wizard of Oz and as such we pretty much know how it has to end. I was disappointed that there was no mention of ruby slippers. (Dorothy Gale was given no age in the books). Also, I dont know if you noticed, but Annie - Ozs girlfriend in the opening - was to be engaged to a man named John Gale - which was Dorothys last name (possibly her uncle).

SCOTT: Good catch, Greg!

GREG: Overall, I enjoyed this movie, despite its slow pace. The CGI ending made up for a host of sins. I recommend seeing it in theaters for the spectacle, but I dont think its a fitting prequel to the Baum stories. I give it 3 Reels out of 5. My biggest fear is that it sets the stage for a Wizard of Oz remake from Disney in coming years. I think if this is any indication, such a remake would be a disappointment. The hero was lackluster but still evolved into a better man. I give him 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: This movie was a mixed bag. It provided a visual feast for the eyes. The hero story was quite respectable, as the Wizard followed the classic pattern of being sent to a strange and dangerous world; meeting up with sidekicks, albeit annoying ones; finding a love interest; and using his skills to cleverly overcome evil. But Oz failed to enchant me and one heros superpowers at the end rang false. I also give it 3 Reels out of 5, and I give the Wizard 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
August 14, 2017
James Franco disappointed hugely. It wasn't the role for him. Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp were offered the role of Oz. But both of them denied. I also felt that the role would suit Depp more than anyone else. The movie was an average fairy tale. CGI was extraordinary. And there was this cute China girl. Nothing else was really special about it.
August 6, 2017
Disappointing. Fancy special effects didn't make up for generally bad acting and a poor script. The only one to hold her own was Michelle Williams. She managed a subtle performance amongst all the OTT. There were moments of good comedy, but they only managed to raise a smile rather than a chuckle.
This film had so much potential.
What has happened to you Raimi?
July 19, 2017
Effects ok, made for 3D. Mediocre acting.
July 9, 2017
Fun, amazing visuals, decent acting and a beautifully made film.
June 29, 2017
Rough start but a great story
June 29, 2017
When I saw this movie I was not a fan of this movie I just found it boring just like the wizard of Oz