Padre Padrone Reviews

• Jul 02, 2017

Unusually frank film by the Tavianis about the life of a shepherd in Sardinia; a must-see.

• Nov 02, 2014

A piece of Italian cinema that deserves to be seen by new generations. Tough and very interestingly shot, this film is a hard one to chew on but it's also and incredibly piece of cinema.

• Apr 05, 2014

So, so boring ugh !!

So, so boring ugh !!

• Dec 14, 2013

Had a hard time getting into this film at first, and I had to start over twice. But then I set aside distraction and gave it a real chance. I discovered an unforgettable gem in this film about fathers and sons and about wanting more than your ancestors can even imagine.

• Jun 02, 2013

A fine picture by the Tavianis. This is really a shepherd's drama with the main character being one and trying to escape this destiny. The one factor and person keeping him tied to this destiny is his father. The titular padre padrone. The film offers some beautiful images and strange events of a shepherd's life both as a child and a twenty year old man. Acting wise the film is covered by the naturalistic cast whose harshness match their surroundings. Standouts? Both Omero Antonutti as the father and Saverio Marconi as the twenty year old Gavino. The film's main issue is I believe the style. It is too straightforward and naturalistic while the picture at times isn't. There is a nice absurdism under the surface and in some sequences it really shines. Overall this is one to watch and appreciate for its naturalistic merits.

• Feb 06, 2013

This is a confronting film, and not just for the scenes involving bestiality, but because of the tyrant-like father and his treatment of his entire family. When the father removes his son from classes to tend to his family's flock he gives the children in class a stern reminder, today it is Gavino but tomorrow it is you, highlighting the lack of opportunities these children had growing up. The flight of many of these now young men to Germany offers a ray of hope to their dreary world, but the disappointment and despair that sets in as Gavino must return to his family and the countryside is truly palpable. This wasn't the easiest film to watch but it all combines to create a powerful experience from the in your face and flamboyant antics of the father to Gavino's simplistic and almost haunting whistling as a means of standing up once and for all to his father. Not for the feint hearted but well worthwhile if you can stick with it.

• Sep 13, 2012

Who do you think we are? Just think about it.

Who do you think we are? Just think about it.

• Feb 01, 2011

A very educative picture on education, for the kids, for the parents, for all of us.

• Jan 13, 2011

Inside this coming-of-age story, there are some surprising moments that work. But too often either the more surreal moments come off as contrived or the day-to-day realities of physical abuse or illiteracy don't resonate emotionally.

• Jul 28, 2009

Vencedor do Festival de Cinema de Cannes de 1977, este clássico dos irmãos Taviani baseia-se na autobiografia de Gavino Ledda.