The Passion of Darkly Noon Reviews

• Jan 19, 2015

Its definitely interesting. I wouldn't say its bad just that it wasn't for me. Its like a weird Fairy Tale for grown folks. The ending was fucking cool doh.

• Oct 03, 2013

A great little Lynchian film charged with sexual tension, religious terror and wonderful acting.

• Feb 23, 2013

A truly bizarre film featuring a lot of future stars (Brendan Fraser, Viggo Mortensen, and Ashley Judd), The Passion of Darkly Noon follows a young man who escapes from a cult and attempts to fit in with a modern couple living in a rural location. Unfortunately, Darkly''s (yes, that's his name) love for the beautiful young woman begins to drive him insane once her mute boyfriend returns. Intensely strange and definitely original, The Passion of Darkly Noon delivers a few moments of twistedness but ultimately fails to entirely make up for its somewhat idiotic aesthetic.

• Dec 15, 2012

Woa! Brendan shows his dark side!

Woa! Brendan shows his dark side!

• Aug 22, 2012

Stunning film. Ridley creates an seemingly idyllic life for Ashley Judd and Viggo Mortensen and then reminds us you can't escape the past or avoid the present as he tears it apart. Multi-layered story that really deserves an analysis as opposed to a review. Suffice it to say that is beautifully filmed, scored, and acted. Very well done, touching and worth seeing.

• Aug 16, 2012

I couldnt stop laughing the whole way through.

I couldnt stop laughing the whole way through.

• Apr 27, 2012

The Passion of Darkly Noon (Philip Ridley, 1995) Ah, 1995. I vaguely remember all the teenaged girls swooning over this movie back in the day. I assume it had something to do with Brendan Fraser's naked backside, which appears briefly. This is back when both Fraser and a deliciously sensual Ashley Judd's stars both eclipsed that of their co-star, an already well-traveled, but not yet A-list, actor named Viggo Mortensen. (In fact, it was the trifecta of this film, The Prophecy, and Albino Alligator, all released in 1995-96, that really propelled Mortensen into the public conscioiusness in a way he hadn't been previously. Then along came Peter Jackson, and the rest is history.) Because of all the fangirl-worship, I always pushed this one onto the backburner when it came to actually sitting down and checking it out; I shouldn't have. As we open, Darkly Noon (Fraser), the only son of a now-deceased strictly religioius couple, regains consciousness in the woods. (Given his injuries, I think we are to assume there was some sort of vehicular accident; we find out later what really went down.) He finds his way to a dirt road and stumbles down it for a while, eventually almost getting hit by Jude (Apollo 13's Loren Dean), a delivery guy who's one of the only people from the nearby town who is willing to interact with a couple of local outcasts, Callie (Judd) and her currently-absent boyfriend Clay (Mortensen). Jude drops him there, and Callie nurses him back to health. Darkly has never met anyone quite like Callie, overtly sensual and free-spirited; it doesn't take long before his religious beliefs are butting heads with his attraction to her. This is exacerbated when Clay comes home, and then even further when Darkly, on a walk in the woods, meets Roxy (Twin Peaks' Grace Zabriskie), who has quite a grudge against Callie... I'm pretty sure Ridley (Heartless) wanted this movie to feel like a dream, despite the realist nature of the cinematography (nothing is ever in soft focus here, and as Captain Peacock was wont to say, "thank heaven for that."). It's the only way to pass off some of the movie's sillier scenes (more than once I was put in mind of that annoying blowing plastic bag in American Beauty) and still like it as much as I did. The acting is impeccable all around, the movie is usually well-paced (there are a couple of early scenes that drag like Ashley Judd's shift over her nipples), and the subject matter is just crazy all the way around. Did I mention Lou Myers (A Different World) doing his best Garrett Morris impersonation as the town's undertaker/ex-preacher? Fun stuff indeed. *** 1/2

• Feb 09, 2012

One word to describe this movie? Yooooooooooooo!

One word to describe this movie? Yooooooooooooo!

• Jul 29, 2011

Strange, intermittently inpressive but mostly obscure and boring film.

Strange, intermittently inpressive but mostly obscure and boring film.

• Jul 24, 2011

Difficult movie that should make anyone sad. Tension abounds.

Difficult movie that should make anyone sad. Tension abounds.