Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
Even for those missing their Harry Potter fix, this is some weak, watered-down stuff.
August 11, 2017
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters is full of flaws although it still improves a little, and I emphasize a little, over its predecessor. I say this because while it still has that derivative feel to it, it's oddly more faithful to the source material than the first film. Percy and Annabeth are just good friends at the moment, the latter is blonde, Grover's kidnapped and the cliffhanger ending is there like what Rick Riordan does with his books all the time. The visual effects are nice to look at but they can sometimes feel distracting. The action is enjoyable but I think it lacks the extra push from the battle sequences from other book-based movies. This movie is more for tweens and young teens, really, though I think they're more likely to have a blast reading the book. I'm still pissed off with the age thing, though. It's because of the actors' ages we aren't going to get a film adaptation of The Titan's Curse anytime soon. But what if those asshats at Fox get the idea for a Kane Chronicles movie full of more whitewashing than Gods of Egypt? Oh my God (or should I say, oh my gods), has Hollywood really come to this? Sorry, I have a bit of a paranoid personality. Percy Jackson 2 isn't groundbreaking, original or as compelling as its witty source material but at least it tries to be faithful to the book unlike the first film and one reason why I don't dare be too harsh on the film because every once in a while, something happens with the actors' performances being decent...except maybe the guy who plays Tyson. Yeah, PJ3 ain't happening. Reboot the movies with a Netflix series or something. Or maybe just leave the books alone before you piss off Riordan even more which eventually leads to him going on a killing spree in a jealous rage.
August 10, 2017
I am glad they made a second movie, but I was so disappointed when they didn't plan a third one, really, really hoping they will make a third movie :(
½ July 16, 2017
the movie makes it look like that everyone that worked on the film never even heard of Rick Riordan. The film vaguely met big events in the book, but it also missed a lot of big events too. This movie is an insult to the whole Percy Jackson fandom and to Rick Riordan.
July 9, 2017
Very quite good in its own way. I haven't read the book, but if I ever do and re-watch this, I might change my opinion. Saw it on Netflix and I remember watching the first Percy Jackson film 7 years ago and I really enjoyed it and loved it! I enjoyed this one too!

But I somehow feel as though the First one was better than this one, it had a little less action into it and the plot was ok to me. What I don't understand is why they stopped making the rest of the Percy Jackson series? I would of loved to watch them at least.
June 17, 2017
OMG LIKE YOU TOTES HABE TO SEE THIS!!! I AM SIKED
April 15, 2017
While better than The Lightening Thief, this film still lacks of the charm, action, fantasy, and comedy from the books.
½ March 25, 2017
For being based off of a book, it sure did not stay true to the plot of its predecessor. Missing events such as the real Circe's Island, the opening dodgeball game with the giants, and the sirens, just to name a few, this movie was a complete trash heap compared to the cornucopia of the book. The visual affects crew could have also easily made these scenes, but for some reason they didn't. This movie could have been much better if they had just stuck to the script of the book even remotely. They could have also had success as a bigger series. I hope to see this mistake made right by someone like netflix who can make a series of not just the Percy Jackson series, but also the Heroes of Olympus storyline, as well as the Kane Chronicles. However, if you have never read the book then this would be a decent movie, but if you did read the book your hopes have probably been smashed into millions of pieces.
March 4, 2017
It is an awesome family movie in the world of fantasy...
½ February 7, 2017
This was good, I quite liked the plot, however the acting made it a kids film. I know it is a kids film but it was made for kids only I think. The Lightening Thief was better imo.
February 4, 2017
I love this movie! Wish they'd make another and continue the franchise!
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
Even more Harry Potter lite shenanigans.
½ January 14, 2017
This movie is even worse then the first one and as a fan of the books it is nothing alike them the acting is terrible, the story and everything.
January 2, 2017
It looks rotten but it's got Alexandra Daddario in it and that alone deserves a star.
½ December 26, 2016
Had some fun moments. But overall poorly made.
½ December 10, 2016
12/10/2016: An ok movie. While it was just ok, I still hope there is another film to close out the trilogy.
December 6, 2016
This movie made me, a Percy Jackson fan, very sad. From a casual viewer standpoint, the movie isn't too bad, just a little rushed and poor acting at times. But from a PJ gan standpoint, this movie was terrible. The movie was filled with inaccuracies after inaccuracies. I'm gonna say the bad first, then get to the limited good. The movie was so rushed with plot, that the characters feel boring and we don't get to understand them. A movie like this should be at least over 2 hours because of all the story. But instead, the director decides to just cut those scenes out. Percy going to a normal school with tyson as his main friend, grover looking for pan, percy NOT knowing his destiny from the oracle until later, circe's island, chrion's family, the sirens, annabeth tricking polymorpheus by calling herself nobody, and luke having an entire cruise ship, rather than a yacht. All of those things were not in the movie. Instead, percy finds out his prophecy IN THIS MOVIE, his time comes when he turns 20, not 16, grover was captured by luke, and oh yeah, kronos was successfully brought back then sealed back in his coffin within minutes. Now to the good things, Dionysus was perfectly cast and portrayed, chiron was pretty good, they managed to fix some things from the last movie, hermes was great, and clarisse was fine. I really hope they don't continue this series because nobody can get it right. You only get one chance at a first impression, and this movie failed making a good first impression, unlike something like harry potter.
½ November 13, 2016
I would've liked it a bit more... if it actually followed the books.
½ November 5, 2016
While it's basically going through the motions, PJ&TSOM is fun and definitely a movie for fans of the amazing books that deserve soooo much better. But hey! I was just hoping it'll follow the books and be better than Lighting Bolt Thief. Sooo... I'm satisfied

"B" is my final grade