Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters Reviews

½ March 10, 2018
February 10, 2018
Basically, another random movie with the name " Percy Jackson " by Fox.
½ January 22, 2018
TERRIBLE NOTHING LIKE THE BOOKS, if you are part of the pjo fandom you will without a doubt HATE how this movie directors say its based off the pjo books, they made up random scenes and did not protray the characters correctly AT ALL. I had faith, but not even the gods could save this movie
½ January 5, 2018
Nothing like the book at all. Plot holes everywhere. Even
December 19, 2017
Decent follow up. Doesn't bring much new to the table, but it's an entertaining enough sequel.
November 22, 2017
Does not live up to the first one.
October 16, 2017
They keep changing the date
½ September 24, 2017
The action is pretty good and so is the acting, but Sea of Monsters tries to cram the plots of two additional books into the final act of this one, and fails to do so. I'm actually glad this movie is so bad, because that means they can't mess up any of the other books.
½ August 14, 2017
Even for those missing their Harry Potter fix, this is some weak, watered-down stuff.
August 11, 2017
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters is full of flaws although it still improves a little, and I emphasize a little, over its predecessor. I say this because while it still has that derivative feel to it, it's oddly more faithful to the source material than the first film. Percy and Annabeth are just good friends at the moment, the latter is blonde, Grover's kidnapped and the cliffhanger ending is there like what Rick Riordan does with his books all the time. The visual effects are nice to look at but they can sometimes feel distracting. The action is enjoyable but I think it lacks the extra push from the battle sequences from other book-based movies. This movie is more for tweens and young teens, really, though I think they're more likely to have a blast reading the book. I'm still pissed off with the age thing, though. It's because of the actors' ages we aren't going to get a film adaptation of The Titan's Curse anytime soon. But what if those asshats at Fox get the idea for a Kane Chronicles movie full of more whitewashing than Gods of Egypt? Oh my God (or should I say, oh my gods), has Hollywood really come to this? Sorry, I have a bit of a paranoid personality. Percy Jackson 2 isn't groundbreaking, original or as compelling as its witty source material but at least it tries to be faithful to the book unlike the first film and one reason why I don't dare be too harsh on the film because every once in a while, something happens with the actors' performances being decent...except maybe the guy who plays Tyson. Yeah, PJ3 ain't happening. Reboot the movies with a Netflix series or something. Or maybe just leave the books alone before you piss off Riordan even more which eventually leads to him going on a killing spree in a jealous rage.
½ July 16, 2017
the movie makes it look like that everyone that worked on the film never even heard of Rick Riordan. The film vaguely met big events in the book, but it also missed a lot of big events too. This movie is an insult to the whole Percy Jackson fandom and to Rick Riordan.
July 9, 2017
Very quite good in its own way. I haven't read the book, but if I ever do and re-watch this, I might change my opinion. Saw it on Netflix and I remember watching the first Percy Jackson film 7 years ago and I really enjoyed it and loved it! I enjoyed this one too!

But I somehow feel as though the First one was better than this one, it had a little less action into it and the plot was ok to me. What I don't understand is why they stopped making the rest of the Percy Jackson series? I would of loved to watch them at least.
June 17, 2017
April 15, 2017
While better than The Lightening Thief, this film still lacks of the charm, action, fantasy, and comedy from the books.
½ March 25, 2017
For being based off of a book, it sure did not stay true to the plot of its predecessor. Missing events such as the real Circe's Island, the opening dodgeball game with the giants, and the sirens, just to name a few, this movie was a complete trash heap compared to the cornucopia of the book. The visual affects crew could have also easily made these scenes, but for some reason they didn't. This movie could have been much better if they had just stuck to the script of the book even remotely. They could have also had success as a bigger series. I hope to see this mistake made right by someone like netflix who can make a series of not just the Percy Jackson series, but also the Heroes of Olympus storyline, as well as the Kane Chronicles. However, if you have never read the book then this would be a decent movie, but if you did read the book your hopes have probably been smashed into millions of pieces.
March 4, 2017
It is an awesome family movie in the world of fantasy...
½ February 7, 2017
This was good, I quite liked the plot, however the acting made it a kids film. I know it is a kids film but it was made for kids only I think. The Lightening Thief was better imo.
February 4, 2017
I love this movie! Wish they'd make another and continue the franchise!
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
Even more Harry Potter lite shenanigans.