The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

Very beautiful movie!

Very beautiful movie!

• Aug 02, 2019

A beautiful portrayal and interpretation of this broadway production, telling the mysterious and intense love story of Christine and her obsessive yet persuasive pursuer the, phantom.

• Jun 29, 2019

A musical movie should cast people who can sing

A musical movie should cast people who can sing

• May 30, 2019

top 5 movie I've ever seen. but was intensely in love at the time so I wasn't exactly objective

• May 24, 2019

Reviews of movies that are based on live performance often include comparisons between the cinema and theatrical production, which is somewhat unfair, since these are two vastly different mediums. That said, even though I've seen and enjoyed the live performance of Phantom several times, I will keep my comments to this movie release only. People who enjoy musicals (I am one) typically see a musical, I think, primarily for the singing and the music. Dramatic acting in musicals is usually secondary. Of course, the acting performance in a musical shouldn't be so bad that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of the production. In 'Phantom's' case, I cannot figure out why Gerard Butler was cast for the lead role. He doesn't simply sing badly; he doesn't sing - period. It is impossible for a musical production to be enjoyed, on any level, when the lead actor isn't singing the operatic parts that were meant to be sung. Gerard growls, he hisses. That's not singing, that's "cheating". That is what a singer does when he can't sing what is written. The performance is cringe-worthy. For her part, Emmy Rossum does a decent job with her singing. She can carry a note and displays the innocence demanded by the character. Gerard looks too much like a buff fashion hunk to be a disfigured and tortured hero. Patrick Wilson plays the 'good guy', Raoul, the Viscount of the Paris Opera, and the 'intended' love interest for Rossum's Christine. Wilson is not known for singing, but fortunately his singing demands are minimal (he sings a fairly convincing duet with Rossum at the end of the first act). Minnie Driver has a lot of fun as the opera diva who storms off the stage during rehearsal. Driver is obviously playing the role for comedy, which some may argue as inappropriate for a seasoned professional. Take your pick; for me, Driver was the best thing in the film. That's not saying a lot.

• Apr 22, 2019

Entertaining, you either love it or hate it. For me, I loved it so much I hated it. Make sense? Although BEAUTIFUL soundtrack.

• Apr 04, 2019

This is one of the best movies I've ever watched and watch it over and over and over again. AMAZING!!!!!

• Feb 19, 2019

This film I like I give a five out of five,Emmy Rossumâ(TM)s performance in this film I thought was outstanding I praise her performance in the film

• Jan 18, 2019

This movie has good and bad aspects just as all movies do, but prove to be the best adaptation of this story to date. The music is consistently brilliant throughout the film. The sets of the movie are brilliant and clearly took much time and effort to create. The cast of the movie clearly took the least amount of time. Many of the insignificant characters were played by actors that did not fit into the story. However, the singing roles were chosen with delicacy for obvious reasons. Emmy Rossum was the perfect actress for the role of Christine, along with Gerard Butler as Phantom. Most importantly, this movie deserves at least one re-watch and the movie appears just as good as the first watch, and appears just as enjoyable as the first watch. Despite this movie having very small mistakes, it is without doubt the best movie adaptation of Phantom of the Opera and perhaps one of the best musicals of the 21st century (so far).

• Nov 27, 2018