Pieces of April - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pieces of April Reviews

September 29, 2016
Found this little gem of a movie streaming on Stan. Katie Holmes (pre-Tom) is just wonderful in this movie. Reminiscent of the series The Big C with Oliver Platt, I wonder if it was inspiration for it? It's now 13 years old and this film really deserves to be seen.
September 10, 2016
Pieces of April is an okay film. It is about a wayward daughter who invites her dying mother and the rest of her family to her apartment for Thanksgiving dinner. Katie Holmes and Oliver Platt give decent performances. The script is a little slow in places. Peter Hedges did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and drama.
August 12, 2016
Possibly my all-time favorite low-budget drama ($500k or less). So many things are pitch-perfect in this film it's remarkable. Worth seeking out.
½ July 9, 2016
Pieces of April is an unusual film textured with emotion and sprinkled with light humor. I found myself pleasantly surprised with the film and its ability to remain rough around the edges and simple; instead of reaching to become something it's not. I couldn't help but sense a foreign film quality to this film, and a sort of unique angle on life or an event with the focus on the characters and story. Well done ! 3.5 stars
March 25, 2016
One of my favorite movies...
June 13, 2015
anyone who belongs to a family should see this
½ November 20, 2014
A cute, simple yet memorable indie movie.
October 18, 2014
This movie is smart and doesn't insult the viewer. It's also fun and explores the complicated relationship between parents and their now adult children.and our perceptions of race and class. The Soundtrack is awesome and spot-on.
August 4, 2014
Very solid yet breathtaking movie. When life is on the verge of breaking into pieces.
½ April 16, 2014
2014-04-16 Katie was good
½ November 29, 2013
Great story featuring a flawless performance by Katie Holmes.
½ November 29, 2013
Too slow, did not make it to dinner.
November 28, 2013
Watching this now. Love this movie.
½ November 28, 2013
Great acting abound in this touching,funny and heartbreaking story of love and all too soon to be loss.Patricia Clarkson shines in this bittersweet holiday gem.
November 18, 2013
It wasn't what I expected, but that's. not a Bsd thing! I found the story endearing, and I got the message. I am thinking about adding this one to my collection.
½ October 7, 2013
Very cute indie film that without sentimental schmaltz expresses the heartbreak and joy of family relationships and the true meaning of Thanksgiving.
½ August 17, 2013
Effective little indie.
½ July 8, 2013
Pieces of April is about being the black sheep. It's a critique of family life.

The good. A sweet, yet starkly realistic, family story, sometime touching, often surprising, with a few laughs and oddity to soften the drama. A solidly paced scenario well rendered by the editing and the camera work. Soft music and score. Complex and very varied characters with nice depth. Hard hitting dialogs that reflect the harshness that sometime life can have. Great acting on the part of all the cast.

The actors. The most notables are definitively Katie Holmes, Oliver Platt, and Patricia Clarkson.

The bad. Nothing.

The ugly. Nothing.

The result. Not everyone will appreciate this film, but I still recommend it to those willing to see life for what it is.
June 7, 2013
Thank God for the constant bombardment of repiticious adnorsioum airing same shows on pay tv without which I may never have found this gem. I am a photographer and I love this movie. When I find it I will buy it.
May 29, 2013
Can be a little bit silly at times but it's as entertaining as it's heart-warming; and I'm all good for bland entertainment.