Pink Flamingos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pink Flamingos Reviews

September 11, 2016
This piece is no technical marvel, but it's one of the greatest exploitation films of all time. The irony is that this film is actually more attuned to 21st nihilistic aburdist comedy than it was to anything contemporary to its release.
½ July 30, 2016
The forerunner of the midnight movie screenings in the 70's, Water's "Pink Flamingos" is as every bit crude today as it was back then, but you cannot help but revel in the charm and dedication the characters bring to the film. An unashamedly enjoyable romp.
July 22, 2016
An outrageous and repulsive exercise in bad taste whose only infantile objective is to leave you disgusted as if eating dog shit yourself. It is not funny, the acting is horrible and John Waters only proves that he is an awful director with his trashy zooms and camera movements.
June 19, 2016
One of the most daring, provocative and unforgettable movies ever made. Hilarious, bizarre and sometimes hard to watch, but a movie that'll linger in your mind long after it's over. An American original.
April 17, 2016
This film is truly in a league of its own, proudly labeled as the 'Filthiest Film Ever Made' & it truly lives up to its expectation.

A delightfully trashy comedy about a Degenerate Couple trying to take the title of Filthiest Person Away from Babs an over weight woman living with her strange family in a caravan park.

The saving grace of this film is its humor it's genuinely funny but there are some gross scenes to match...not for the faint hearted but a truly unique cinema experience.
March 6, 2016
Nearly 100 minutes of provocative material in which there is a little something to offend or gross-out anyone.
February 20, 2016
Weird and awful in a good way. I only had issues with one scene, but that is a personal thing because I don't think animals should die for art. Other than that, if you're looking for John Waters greatness, this is the top of the pile.
February 1, 2016
Trashterpiece! <3

Starring my mom, Divine.
½ November 21, 2015
Oh boy! What did I just watch? Whatever this was meant to be either just pure explotation or a dark satire on the Manson family, this is a bizarre and twisted movie experience that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.
½ November 13, 2015
"['Pink Flamingos' is] one of the most vile, stupid, and repulsive films ever made," Daily Variety sighs in order to make its way onto the DVD cover of the 25th anniversary edition of John Waters's infamous "Pink Flamingos." "Like a septic tank explosion," Detroit Free Press retorts, "it has to be seen to be believed."
As far as transgressive comedies go, "Pink Flamingos" is the one most widely pointed to as the finest, if you can even call a film featuring unsimulated acts of kinky chicken murder, prolapsed anus flexing, and dog poop consumption fine. It isn't so much that the film is good - it, plain and simply, sets out to disgust us, and it succeeds. But is being disgusted necessarily a bad thing? I don't think that's always the case.
John Waters began his career as a directorial outsider obsessed with repulsing his audiences, making films meant to induce vomit, and, if lucky, a laugh here and there. Eventually, he calmed down and made such modern cult classics as "Cry-Baby" and "Hairspray," but "Pink Flamingos," one of his first films, is still his most widely discussed project, in part to its many shocking scenes and in part to the performance of Divine, America's favorite drag queen and, in the context of the movie, the filthiest woman alive (a fitting label considering just how filthy "Pink Flamingos" sets out to be). Is it my favorite Waters film? I don't think so - I find myself more accepting of his later, more restrained stylings. But a film as exquisitely vile as this one has got to be praised; nobody can complete spy missions better than James Bond, and nobody does bad taste quite like Waters.
"Pink Flamingos"'s storyline is more concerned with individual gross-outs than it is with a cohesive plot, but it mostly involves Divine and her cohorts in griminess, which include her mother, the egg obsessed Miss Edie (Edith Massey), her degenerate son, Crackers (Dany Mills), and her fur coat adoring traveling companion, Cotton (Mary Vivian Pearce). Divine has just been named "The Filthiest Woman Alive" by a tabloid magazine, and that headline, perhaps a compliment in the film's backwards world, incurs the wrath of Connie and Raymond Marble (Mink Stole and David Lochary), a married couple who believe they deserve such a title. Why? They make their living by kidnapping young women, impregnating them, and selling their children to adoption hungry lesbians, essentially turning their prizes into slaves.
And so a game of one-upmanship ensues between Divine and the Marbles, including fun games of feces gifting, house licking, cannibalistic birthday celebrations, and trailer burning.
Certainly, "Pink Flamingos" wouldn't be such a shoddy novelty if not for Waters's darkly playful sense of humor and the hilarious performances from most of the cast, who make for one of the most eccentric ensembles even put to film. It's distasteful, sure, but the sheer magnitude of its distastefulness manages to be rather funny, whether prudish audiences would like to admit it or not. The dialogue, protruding with a sort of Hollywood mocking camp, is riotous, and Waters's welcoming of his no-budget makes the cheapery carry an unthinkable charm. Divine is a wonderfully subversive Z-star, and supporting player Edith Massey, my favorite of Waters's steady stable of actors, is uproarious as Divine's mentally ill mother.
If I were a critic as respectful as Ebert, then maybe I would make a smarter decision and refuse to give "Pink Flamingos" a letter grade - it's so reprehensible and so magnificently original that examining it, analyzing it, isn't necessarily the right way to go. To exclusively experience it, not write about it quickly afterward, might make more sense. But I can't help but enjoy what Waters has to offer; he does bad taste well, with enough knowing humor to make the film seem like more than a series of unpalatable gags.
½ November 3, 2015
I sincerely don't know how Pink Flamingos became John Waters trademark, it doesnt have any laughable moment, only disgusting scenes...I know that Waters and his crew were always stoned while making movies but this one is just horrible, not a single entertaining moment. Just watch one time so you can say that it sucks and thats it, don't waste your time again.
½ October 16, 2015
Hollywood had already made very violent movies, movies with sex in them, people had complained, which is good because it shows they had to watch them to find out, so why not make a really gross movie? I guess this is another example of how Hollywood misleads people about which road will lead to success. After John Water's relatively short apprenticeship making movies that can be described as grossploitaion, Hollywood decided he was ready for the big time. He paved the way for many youtube videos, tv shows like fear factor; he was a real gosh darn pioneer!
October 15, 2015
A film that reminds me of the Warhol movies of the 60's and 70's which has that similar brand of dark bad taste humour, wickedly funny if your humour is dark/black and outrageous you won't be disappointed.
September 30, 2015
Probably the most unique and risque film ever made, still even today.
September 21, 2015
Still crazy film about people fighting to claim title of "Filthiest Person Alive". All are quite despicable, but Edith Massey steals the whole damn show. Eggs! Eggs! Oh God!
½ June 3, 2015
This movie is really funny. Other than that, yuck!
May 13, 2015
Curiously cutesy and unashamedly depraved, John Waters' shocker is worth watching if only for its bizarre tone and eerie oddities. But be warned: this creepy comedy WILL test your stomach.
There's a lot of shouting, a lot of swearing and a surf-friendly soundtrack, as the film circles around a competition between oddball Divine and her baby-breeding adversaries for the title of 'filthiest people alive'. Characters include a travelling egg salesman, an egg-citable crib-bound Grandmother and a Peeping Tom (or rather, Flashing Raymond) and the marauding plot includes anything from creepy incest and the consumption of dog faeces, to anal stretching and chicken murder.
Despite the fact at least half of this outrageous material is near unwatchable, Pink Flamingos really has to be seen to be believed - it's one of few banned films that genuinely lives up to its myths. This is the filthiest movie alive. Or at least one of them...
May 3, 2015
The only movie that I love but would not recommend to anyone.
April 22, 2015
I felt that Pink Flamingos is just too raunchy and exploitive for it's own good,also quite poorly executed in ways.