Pink Ribbons, Inc. Reviews

• Oct 29, 2017

This movie was interesting in two ways and seriously flawed in the most important ways. It was interesting in that it showed the hysteria and cultural phenomena that is the breast cancer awareness campaign. And it was interesting that it showed how this movement has partly been coopted by corporate interests and those who make money off aligning with them. But it cannot recover from the way that it does not call out the sexist, misleading nature of the movement itself. They act like this is the only major disease and that this disease is more horrible tha others because only women have breasts. But what about prostate cancer which affects and kills just as many men? Or testicular cancer? Isn't it wrong to use sexism to benefit one gender over the other? Who isnt aware of breast cancer? why not lung cancer awareness, colorectal cancer? diabetes. This pink ribbon campaign is a feminist-fueled anti-male campaign that it does not surprise me that some are getting rich from. Why dont we all wear blue for prostate cancer? why dont wa all shave our heads for childhood leukemia. What sheep have we become? these are the important questions that this movie does not question.

• Jul 06, 2016

Quite well made. Shows how good intentions without direction will not bring the right results.

• Sep 26, 2015

A very telling story that broke at the same time when this movie was released: A director for Komen, the evil money-grubbing profiteer profiled in this smug self-righteous documentary, cut off funding to Planned Parenthood. The people at PP and their allies squealed like stuck pigs when that flow of dirty, capitalist money was cut off. It was restored shortly afterward because of the backlash. The money raised DOES fund a lot of research, if "Pink Ribbons, Inc" would prefer not to have it maybe they can donate all $25K this film grossed to a more acceptable fund.

• Mar 23, 2015

Assumed it was going to simply be about the dollars the 'Pink Ribbon' movement has raised and question how much of the money goes to research... BUT it was actually a lot larger exploration- questioning the value or the movement. The larger questions seem to be 'what should activism look like', 'is this movement really targeting the root of the cancer questions (or just funding 'big pharm' endeavours)), 'have they just branded the cause', and 'is the movement too rosy given the reality of the disease and the brutal effects'. It's hard to not cheer for those that are finding some peace in their walk and feeling that they are making a difference (and maybe there's always a rationale to spread positivity...)- but this documentary does some pretty solid questioning of the Pink Ribbon culture (and there are some corporate examples in the doc that really convey how icky a capitalistic mentality can be when paired with a cause).

• Sep 22, 2014

The documentary raises great questions on corporate greed, how we frame support for cancer patients, and somewhat delves into carcinogenic factors, but the agenda and broad generalizations are a real turnoff. What particularly annoyed me was the complete disregard of the actual progress that has been made on breast cancer. This documentary would have you believe that we're scientifically still at square one compared to a hundred years ago and that we know nothing about breast cancer. The overarching theme is that the pink ribbon campaign has done nothing, and all that money that has actually been put into studies has amounted to squat. That is blatantly false. Is a lot of that money wasted? Yes. Do companies enter the breast cancer business and pocket most of the money? Yes. However, to use this message to invalidate actual scientific research is completely dishonest and fraudulent, turning this into an emotionally charged misinformation fest. Bottom line: If they want to show the problems of breast cancer discourse in today's society, they can't spread lies as well.

• Aug 01, 2014

Everybody should watch this doc. It's important.

Everybody should watch this doc. It's important.

• Jul 21, 2014

I have had talks with my wife about all the pink everything outside and how I felt it is all marketing filling up someones pockets as there seems to be a pink group on every corner like a Tim Hortons coffee drive thru. My wife agreed because there have been proof of many foundations corrupted by greed, such as Unicef. Coincidentally this film came out and my hunch is correct. A bandwagon is the bane of all charity organizations, the support is only as good as the ride is good. And if nobody is having fun helping out for a cause, they lose interest, thus no more funding. Just like one of the activists' said, write a cheque!

• May 12, 2014

If any one is in the mood for an enlightening documentary...

If any one is in the mood for an enlightening documentary...

• Mar 30, 2014

The Mass Marketing & Associated Consumerism Link With Death Is Sickening To Watch...Corporate Behaviour Has A Lot To Answer For. This Is The Real Story Behind All The Feel Good Bullshit. 10% Of Your Dosh Is Actually Being Spent On A Cure Because It's In The Interests Of Business For The Illness To Remain As It Makes Them $$$

• Feb 26, 2014

it is very scary to acknowledge that,in the middle of all this humble act of "awareness" there's a high level of deceit and misinformation mix with capitalism and false intentions...people involved in this,should watch this documentary,for their own good.