Pink Ribbons, Inc. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pink Ribbons, Inc. Reviews

July 6, 2016
Quite well made. Shows how good intentions without direction will not bring the right results.
½ September 26, 2015
A very telling story that broke at the same time when this movie was released: A director for Komen, the evil money-grubbing profiteer profiled in this smug self-righteous documentary, cut off funding to Planned Parenthood.

The people at PP and their allies squealed like stuck pigs when that flow of dirty, capitalist money was cut off. It was restored shortly afterward because of the backlash.

The money raised DOES fund a lot of research, if "Pink Ribbons, Inc" would prefer not to have it maybe they can donate all $25K this film grossed to a more acceptable fund.
March 23, 2015
Assumed it was going to simply be about the dollars the 'Pink Ribbon' movement has raised and question how much of the money goes to research... BUT it was actually a lot larger exploration- questioning the value or the movement. The larger questions seem to be 'what should activism look like', 'is this movement really targeting the root of the cancer questions (or just funding 'big pharm' endeavours)), 'have they just branded the cause', and 'is the movement too rosy given the reality of the disease and the brutal effects'. It's hard to not cheer for those that are finding some peace in their walk and feeling that they are making a difference (and maybe there's always a rationale to spread positivity...)- but this documentary does some pretty solid questioning of the Pink Ribbon culture (and there are some corporate examples in the doc that really convey how icky a capitalistic mentality can be when paired with a cause).
September 22, 2014
The documentary raises great questions on corporate greed, how we frame support for cancer patients, and somewhat delves into carcinogenic factors, but the agenda and broad generalizations are a real turnoff. What particularly annoyed me was the complete disregard of the actual progress that has been made on breast cancer. This documentary would have you believe that we're scientifically still at square one compared to a hundred years ago and that we know nothing about breast cancer. The overarching theme is that the pink ribbon campaign has done nothing, and all that money that has actually been put into studies has amounted to squat. That is blatantly false. Is a lot of that money wasted? Yes. Do companies enter the breast cancer business and pocket most of the money? Yes. However, to use this message to invalidate actual scientific research is completely dishonest and fraudulent, turning this into an emotionally charged misinformation fest.

Bottom line: If they want to show the problems of breast cancer discourse in today's society, they can't spread lies as well.
½ August 1, 2014
Everybody should watch this doc. It's important.
July 21, 2014
I have had talks with my wife about all the pink everything outside and how I felt it is all marketing filling up someones pockets as there seems to be a pink group on every corner like a Tim Hortons coffee drive thru. My wife agreed because there have been proof of many foundations corrupted by greed, such as Unicef. Coincidentally this film came out and my hunch is correct. A bandwagon is the bane of all charity organizations, the support is only as good as the ride is good. And if nobody is having fun helping out for a cause, they lose interest, thus no more funding. Just like one of the activists' said, write a cheque!
½ May 12, 2014
If any one is in the mood for an enlightening documentary...
½ March 30, 2014
The Mass Marketing & Associated Consumerism Link With Death Is Sickening To Watch...Corporate Behaviour Has A Lot To Answer For. This Is The Real Story Behind All The Feel Good Bullshit. 10% Of Your Dosh Is Actually Being Spent On A Cure Because It's In The Interests Of Business For The Illness To Remain As It Makes Them $$$
February 26, 2014
it is very scary to acknowledge that,in the middle of all this humble act of "awareness" there's a high level of deceit and misinformation mix with capitalism and false intentions...people involved in this,should watch this documentary,for their own good.
½ January 31, 2014
This was extremely insightful and much welcomed addition to the critical thought on fundraising for charities. I wish they would have dug a little deeper into how taking on "the cause" financially benefits the companies, and looked at actual numbers. But overall it was fantastic
January 16, 2014
Excellent! It features one of my favourite things.....the utter destruction of commonly-held myths. The truths revealed are heart-breaking and anger-inducing. The interviews are varied and good. The edit is very good. Even for someone like me who is very wary (and skeptical) of charities, there is a lot to learn about. And it reveals questions not just about corporate charity but the greater world around it.
½ December 12, 2013
A little thin in spots/padded (unnecessarily extended clips, etc) but still very insightful.
½ September 13, 2013
They brought up some pretty good reasons to hate Komen, but left out what I feel is one of the most damning ones: that they spend a million dollars of donation money a year suing other non-profits that use "for the Cure" in their titles.\
½ July 2, 2013
Fine Until We Get to Speculation

Today, I was explaining to someone I know online why there are pink guns if having a gun is supposed to be about empowerment. As it happens, I forgot one aspect in my rant, because the idea is too bizarre. The fact is, some of those guns are pink because they're supposed to be promoting breast cancer awareness. I mean, that's not me, right? That's seriously weird, right? Some of the breast cancer awareness stuff makes at least a vague kind of sense, but the gun thing does not. Because the thing is, even if you're saying "I'm going to use it for protection," a gun's purpose in life is to cause harm to another human being, which is sort of the opposite of trying to fight cancer. So okay, whatever. But when you get right down to it, the whole "breast cancer awareness" thing is not as good an idea as it sounds for a whole list of reasons, many of which are covered in this documentary.

There was a time when discussing any kind of cancer was taboo, and breast cancer was among the most taboo, because breasts. Now, every product you can name and probably more than a few you'd never consider has a breast cancer awareness promotion or special packaging or some such. There are sponsored [i]everything[/i]; my mom does, or did, the Avon Walk for the Cure herself, and Mom doesn't do things like skydiving or dressage, though other people appear to. And that would be great if there were some evidence that it was accomplishing anything. However, breast cancer rates aren't down. Survival rates are up, I believe, but since there's no communication among researchers, a lot of work is duplicated, even when it proved futile the first time. And there are plenty of companies that are both known for their anti-breast cancer programs and for using carcinogens that are probably given people, whether employees or the general public, cancer. Even if it isn't breast cancer, that's still bad.

One of the things presented here is the simple math. Let's say you do that thing where you send in (cleaned!) Yoplait lids during that particular promotion. Eating three containers of yogurt a day throughout the promotion, and mailing in all the lids, would earn $34 for breast cancer programs. It's got to be cheaper to just send them the check. And since so much of the research is duplicated, you can't even be sure that your $34 is going towards anything useful anyway. But people think just buying something pink is really contributing, so they don't actually contribute. It's more than a little frustrating to people actually working in relevant fields--or people with breast cancer. Avon and Revlon have both made a big deal about their breast cancer programs, but they both use chemicals in their makeup that are linked to cancer. (More on which anon.) So of course, no one using those funds is going to look too closely at environmental factors that might point the finger at Avon or Revlon, are they?

So okay, this is something that kind of got me. "Linked to cancer" is not the same as "a proven carcinogen," and the film gives no details. I happen to know that there are a lot of people who believe things are linked to cancer no matter how little evidence there is in favour of it--or evidence there is against it. I don't know any of the details of the chemicals in question here, because--among other things--I pretty much don't wear makeup. But correlation is not causation; that's one of the first and most important things they teach you in science. They had a woman who appeared to be just someone at an event, and she was saying how obvious it was to her that the issue was plastic in the food chain. But who is that woman? Does she know what she's talking about? Or did she hear it somewhere and think it sounded good and not look into anything that suggested maybe she was wrong? I don't know, because the film never gives any detail on the subject.

Overall, this is a good and important film. It's worth knowing that a lot of these programs are more about profit for the companies running them than actually fighting--or certainly preventing--cancer. And that's leaving aside the thing the film doesn't say, which I already knew anyway, which is that heart disease kills more American women every year than all cancers combined. The film includes an interview with Barbara Ehrenreich, who doesn't like being called a "breast cancer survivor" but is in current parlance, and I highly recommend seeking out her book [i]Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America[/i], wherein she talks about her experiences in breast cancer groups. Here, she says that she's actively offended by the idea that pink teddy bears will solve her problem. If you are over seven, it may be time to move on from pink teddy bears. And it seems no one wants to listen to the Barbara Ehrenreichs out there, because they aren't saying what we believe they should.
April 21, 2013
Crack a beer. Watch this movie. Ask some questions about that pink spatula you spent $12 on.
½ January 17, 2013
An interesting documentary that asks pointed questions.
December 30, 2012
A lot of great arguments in this film - it was kind of dry though.
December 30, 2012
An uneven documentary, perhaps, but spearheaded mostly by informed women who make their point well: The Komen pink ribbon campaign has morphed into little more than a profit-making gimmick for corporations and a source of gluttonous salaries for Komen executives.

Example: Research reveals that female workers in certain production areas of the automotive industry are at a much higher risk for breast cancer, yet Komen partners with Ford to issue a black Mustang with pink striping and logos.

Example: Cosmetics companies vend products containing various known carcinogens-with pink ribbon logos on the boxes.

Example: Komen funds little research into a variety of highly-suspected environmental risks because it would conflict with the profit-maximization objectives of the corporations with which it partners.

Example: A woman points out that lighting Niagara Falls in pink for 24 hours might make women feel good, but what does that accomplish in terms of actual change?

Again, the documentary is uneven, but it contains a number of such insightful nuggets that reveal the public's pink ribbon obsession for what it really is--entirely misguided.
December 2, 2012
Nicely done. I really liked it and learned some new things. I would recommend it to everyone. It encourages people to think and question everything. It includes interviews from cancer victims and corporations' representatives. It will rub some people the wrong way like a woman said in the documentary the lies people believe about cancer are comforting.
½ November 13, 2012
"In the 98 minutes of "Pink Ribbons, Inc.," a wealth of information and images flit past, many intended to raise eyebrows if not ire." â" Seattle Times