Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

March 21, 2018
Their was absolutely no reason in the world for this movie to be released. From taking out special characters, to a awful story, to a slow pace. Stranger Tides not only help ruin the whole series but single-handedly destroyed any hope for a decent future in the series.
March 3, 2018
On Stranger Tides is another movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean series and is fairly good for a fourth movie. Another exciting and sashaying performance is given from Johnny Depp as well as another good performance from Geoffrey Rush playing Captain Barbossa. The series instead of going down in how good the movies is now staying at the same level still doing a good job at entertaining audiences and letting us have a good time.
February 28, 2018
Felt significantly better than the previous film. One fairly major disappointment being that Bloom and Knightley are out of the picture. Since it is the fourth installment especially, it felt a little like an add-on to grab fans of the franchise. Alone, the film isn't all bad and has enough surprises, but it may not necessarily compete well with the franchise as a whole. 6.5/10
½ February 16, 2018
We can all agree this movie never happend, right?
½ February 8, 2018
Not the best from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, but still worth a watch nonetheless. Johnny Depp once again leads the way in On Stranger Tides, with his unique and fun portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow. The effects and musical score are once again top notch and really stand out. The loss of Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom are felt, as their supporting roles really delivered in the previous 3 instalments. Penelope Cruz does well in her Pirates debut, but can't make up for the loss of the previously mentioned Knightly and Bloom.
½ February 4, 2018
Despite its dramatic change in cast and stretched story, still a worthy movie on a very close call.
February 3, 2018
I understand the criticism, but I still love this movie and is easily one of my favorites in the franchise
February 3, 2018
I believe this might be my favourite of the franchise! The creativity in the story really made this one stand out! I particularly liked the mermaids!
January 29, 2018
Not terrible but entirely unmemorable.
½ January 25, 2018
This fourth instalment is probably the most boring of the Pirates franchise. It has a promising first act, but after Jack vs Angelica, this movie falls flat on it's stupid face. I am a huge fan of this franchise and I was so disappointed when I saw this movie. It is shorter but it only has a couple of redeeming factors and is the worst movie in the pirates franchise. Who was the idiot who thought that Jack Sparrow is a main character.
January 8, 2018
Was not able to finish this one.
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Una secuela absolutamente innecesaria, que no toma a la franquicia en ninguna nueva dirección, que solo rellena el film con carismáticos personajes que te hacen pasar un momento entretenido.
½ December 18, 2017
This movie had some good scenes, but it felt a little boring to me. The score was worse and the exploring for the Fountain of Youth was boring. The thing I liked about this movie was the mermaids.
½ November 21, 2017
As like the previous two movies, the movie heavily relies on Jack Sparrow to carry the show. The franchise is getting repetitive and boring. Can't really get entertained by the repeats of storylines.
November 20, 2017
Johnny Depp, fantastic as always. I never seem to get tired of Captain Jack Sparrow, or the lush pirate-y world that he inhabits and meddles with!
½ November 19, 2017
POTC-OST is not the best of the series, but it is a step in the right direction. If you, like me, were very disappointed with the third Pirates movie then I do not blame you for wanting to skip out on this one. In fact I was considering not seeing this one myself, especially when the critics reviews came out. I decided to give it a chance, primarily because I had seen the other ones. I was pleasantly surprised and ending up liking the movie. One of the major differences between this and the other Pirates movies (and it is one everyone is going to notice right off the bat) is that Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightely are not in this movie. I am not too disappointed, there story overtook the third Pirates movie, which is part of the reason I did not like it. I was also sick of Knightely terrible speech scenes (if you saw the third you know exactly what I mean). Furthermore a few other pirates who were franchise regulars were missing in this one. What is left from the original three is Jack, Barbosa, Gibbs and the monkey makes two brief cameo appearances.

There was a number of things wrong with the third Pirates movie, among them was the fact that it was long, or it felt long at least. This movie is the shortest of the Pirates films and it moves at a brisk pace. The third Pirates slowed down considerably in the middle, to the point it was almost unbearable to watch. This movie does not make that mistake. This movie is almost all action and because of this it did not feel long, at least in my opinion.

As usual the effects were great. The action is almost nonstop and when there is no action there is enough going on to keep the audience interested. There is also plenty of signature Jack Sparrow humor. Since the previous two (especially the third) were focused almost entirely on the story of Will and Elizabeth Jack was almost forgotten. Another reason the third suffered. It was great to have that story out of the way, because this movie is focused on Jack and that is a strength.

Despite the fact that it improved on a number of the things that made the third bad, this one still is not up to par with the original. It is a good movie all around. It is refreshing and reminds us why we liked these movies in the first place. I recommend giving it a shot, don't expect anything great, just know that this movie is superior in every way to the third.Carribbean films. The plot was flaky and apart from Jack, the characters weren't that great.

After seeing Ian McShane in Deadwood I was convinced he'd make a fantastic Blackbeard, but I think his Lovejoy character was more evil than he was in On Stranger Tides. At the height of his devilishness (is that even a word?) he triggered his ship's flamethrower to kill a mutineer and gave us doubts over his true feelings to a daughter he'd only just found out about. He wasn't a patch on the Barbosa/Davey Jones/Lord Beckett trifecta of evil from the first three films. As someone once said, Luke Skywalker was only as good as Darth Vader was evil.

Speaking of the daughter, Penelope Cruz as Angelica was a character I felt very apathetic towards. The whole raison d'etre of her quest to find the Fountain of Youth was because it had been foretold that a one legged man would kill her father and she wanted to save him so she could have that father she never heard. I'm sorry but pass me the bucket - that sentimental dross deserves to be on Jeremy Kyle (Oprah Winfrey for anyone reading from the US) not as the main plot for the latest of one of the biggest film franchises of all time.

The dilemma at the end of the film sees both Blackbeard and Angelica about to die and only one can be saved by the Fountain of Youth. At that point I didn't care if either died and why should I? Blackbeard is an evil man, or so they tell us, and Angelica has used Jack to get to the Fountain of Youth. If I were Jack I'd have left them both to die and the film would have been better off if he had. At least then we'd have some of the darker side of Jack which never showed appeared in this film. Instead our scoundrel played a goody two shoes who seemed to be motivated by his concern for Angelica's safety. Please, this is Jack Sparrow we are talking about, like he really gives a damn about anyone apart from himself, a characteristic which made him so appealing in the previous films. Yes, he does have a softer side that we've seen before, but to not this whipped extent.

Don't even get me started on the Mermaids. They were great to start with, but as soon as it was just Syrena and her boring relationship with Philip the clergyman, all was lost as they gave us the dullest moments in Pirates of the Caribbean history, to date.

My last major moan is about the part where Jack left Angelica on the island. Remember, Angelica's whole motivation was to save her father, and Jack had just condemned him to death. So why in God's name, when his back was turned, did she try to attack him with a piece of wood and not shoot him in the back with the pistol he had just given her? Yes she had some feelings for Jack, but surely not enough for her to get over the fact that Jack had basically just killed her father and destroyed what she had spent the whole film trying to achieve? Don't give me the old 'he saved her life' spiel - Jack let Blackbeard , her father, die - end of story.

The Good

Whilst nowhere near as funny as in the previous films Jack was still a great character, in spite of his wimpy attitude change. The scenes where he escaped from the King and the clutches of the Spanish were a reminder of how great Pirates of the Caribbean can be at its best. It was great to see Gibbs back alongside Jack as their chemistry is great and a nice link back my beloved first three films.

As always, the film looked and sounded great, though the 3D wasn't essential and I found myself taking the glasses off from time to time and it made little difference. In fact I'd go as far as to say that while you lose depth in 2D, you gain richness in colour.

I'm struggling to think of much else to compliment the film for and at the moment I'm stuck in my post viewing disappointment funk. I really need to watch it again but after my horrific cinema experience I'll wait until it comes out on Blu-ray.
½ November 12, 2017
Suffering from the exact opposite problems as At World's End, On Stranger Tides tries to cram too much action into a much shorter runtime. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush once again give strong performances, and Ian McShane is surprisingly menacing as Blackbeard, but the script is uninspired and the film fails to live up to any of the previous films.
November 11, 2017
Even though it?s a step down from the original trilogy, I still enjoyed it with the addition of Ian McShane as Blackbeard
October 20, 2017
On Stranger Tides is such a disappointing entry in the series and so much weaker than the original trilogy. I loved its locations, score and some scenes were quite fun. Jack is also reliably good and memorable. But unfortunately the other characters are boring and the addition of Penelope Cruz hurt the film tremendously. She was never a great actress and here she gave a mediocre performance in a very annoying role. It is a shorter film, but owing to its odd lack of fantasy elements, it is mostly not as exciting as the previous entries.