Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

½ September 24, 2017
Just watched this one recently before watching the dead man tells no tales. New characters weren't too bad though not too interesting. Story wasn't bad and didn't have too many plotholes (compared to other films).
½ September 13, 2017
We all thought it had ended with the trilogy but no! As in this modern age there had to be a continuation, it had to be milked and a milked it shall be. New director, change of cast line up and a new myth to explore, this franchise has become the Indiana Jones of the era.

This film takes elements from actual real history this time and blends them with classic fantasy. The real bits involve the legendary English pirate Edward Teach and his flagship Queen Anne's Revenge and the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon. Now this plot has relaxed a bit, its not a complicated mess of sub plots and tonnes of characters. Sparrow is off to sea once again to find the fountain of youth, alongside him is Barbossa who is now a privateer for the British Navy. At the same time Blackbeard is also after the fountain along with the dastardly Spanish and their religious thoughts. Each party has their own reasons naturally which does as usual involve some double crossing and twists.

I must admit to liking the intergration of actual history into the plot this time. The franchise has slowly used various common old fables and sea myths to its advantage which has worked well, this time the inclusion of some real historic figures gives the whole thing a bit more class, credibility and a small sense of realism. Of course old Blackbeard has been given a slightly spruced up look with black leather top to bottom by the looks of it, aiming for the cool factor a bit too much methinks.

Gotta say I didn't really like the whole supernatural power thing Blackbeard had over his ship with the magic cutlass. That seemed pointless if you ask me, if he can control the ship like that then why use a crew? His galleon has also been given a very fantasised appearance which makes it look like a unique ghost ride attraction in a fairground. Oh and his ship breaths fire out the front? really? Did we need that silliness? They'd probably burn down their own ship with it.

Next to that we see mermaids which is about time really if you think about it. The fact they are actually fearsome creatures that kill innocent sailors was a nice touch if rather obvious. But that plot detail causes confusion with the main mermaid character who we are meant to feel for, but that's hard knowing her kind are merciless killers of the deep, plus the 'Splash' finale for her was too much cinematic deja vu.

I think the film in general is let down by totally unrealistic action sequences that just feel implausible when they are suppose to be reasonably plausible. The escape set piece at the start is a good example, its overly long and over the top in every sense. Sparrow is leaping around like an acrobat (clearly a stunt double) and doing things that just wouldn't work, the worst bit is seeing all the English soldiers prat falling about everywhere trying to catch him, its cringing. We all know the franchise is suppose to be fun fantasy but apart from the actual supernatural stuff you do expect a degree of slight realism with some stunts. If it becomes too outrageous then it ceases to be fun and simply becomes a joke, what's worse is the fact its not meant to be that kind of joke.

The film is full of these daft action sequences really, it looks bad because we all know Sparrow isn't that kind of character, we had Turner in the trilogy for that. So now seeing the campy Sparrow mincing about doing these big hero stunts looks stupid as its actually taken semi seriously. As I said earlier the plot does also go down the route of old Indy with the chalices thing and especially the finale for Blackbeard which is pretty much a rip off from 'Raiders' and 'The Last Crusade'.

Altogether the adventure feels a bit flat to me, nothing much happens that we haven't seen before or made me go wow! Most of the characters are running low on juice now accept for Barbossa who is always brilliantly played by Rush. Cruz was a bad casting choice and did nothing whilst McShane wasn't all that intimidating as Blackbeard if you ask me. Kudos to Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey for being gorgeously cute as the mermaid and Richard Griffiths in a small role as King George II at the start.

On the whole very very average in my opinion, hyper stunt laden action sequences can't divert from the fact the film is actually kinda dull. It all looks terrific and very atmospheric in that Monkey Island kinda way but you can tell the difference in direction with the film, it does stand out. I just feel they have now used up most avenues of pirate legend both real and fantasy, I can't see what they can do in the fifth film without it being a complete rehash, especially with this struggling for a fresh look. Who's left to utilize? Long John Silver? Sinbad? YellowBeard? What other old creatures and myths can they possibly crowbar in?? Atlantis?

The fact they even squeezed in the minute unrelated hobby of ships in a bottle shows how far they were stretched to incorporate anything remotely olde worlde and piratey into the film. I think this film just about manages to be semi acceptable but that's now it, no more can or should be done. I think Sparrow has had his moment in the spotlight, time to retire in the sun matey.
September 10, 2017
So what next? This film definitely feels like a cash in on the popularity of Depp's character in previous films. I also feel that with Depp as the only lead it just doesn't work. In previous outings the audience are always left feeling that Depp is a force in this world just out of reach and his motives are not always clear. As the main character these feelings are gone as the audience view it alongside him. My other biggest criticism is that this film really suffers from barely any time at sea. It was obviously a budgetary reason but to me don't make a film in the franchise unless you are going to go full out. The scenes in London were fun and the film starts with promise but from then on out it starts to struggle with no real villain and Blackbeard being firmly second place to Davy Jones!
½ September 8, 2017
For me it is fun and entertaining, the character are fun, the music was fantastic and the comedy is good. But the problem was that it had a lot of misleading concept of the story, the villain wasn't that great like the others, and we dint have some characters back. But it was a movie that has the same fun and likeable feeling like the others but it wants that serious and dark. I watch it like four time.
September 3, 2017
I thought Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was a good one. The action and adventure is good. It is a good one in the Pirates Franchise.
½ August 25, 2017
Utterly boring sequel with no memorable moments at all . Sad to see in a franchise which started so well.
½ August 15, 2017
POTC 4 Has Blackbeard in it and Jack Sparrow's love interest, Mermaids, but no Will, Elizabeth, Black Pearl crew (except for Gibbs).

This movie takes place in the 1700s and there were zombies in this film (I liked the idea). Did Zombies even existed back then?

I think this is a start to a new POTC trilogy... or are there supposed to be 7 made? Who knows who else will return in POTC 5? Maybe Angelica. This next movie could be like the Fast & Furious movies and focus on Will Turner's adventures,
½ August 11, 2017
Its not the best of the franchise...it could also be considered the worst....HOWEVER ive been able to find alot to enjoy in the installment.
August 6, 2017
Rather average movie
½ July 30, 2017
Bottom half fish, top half human. Oh, you're talking about the movie?
½ July 29, 2017
This is a very boring film. The comedy in this one did not work as well and would have been better if Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly where in it.

5.3/10
July 17, 2017
I'm going to need to rewatch this movie.

Well, I rewatched this movie. And I thought it was just ok. It had fun action scenes and the 3D was really cool but the plot is kinda faded and thin but it's not too bad. The new characters were pretty cool to me. Of course Johnny Depp gives a pretty good performance as Jack Sparrow yet again. But really overall, this is just another pirates movie. This plot is kind of thin but being a pirates movie fan, I'm just going to give this a C+. It's really mostly the action sequences that hold it up though. This movie is just ok. I think it has replay value though so that's good. But the 5th movie is much better.
July 14, 2017
Depp still charms and the visual spectrum is still dazzling, but unfortunately, it does not quite redeem the franchise.
June 30, 2017
Johnny Depp is still welcome to keep reprising Jack Sparrow. Its just not quite a necessary film. It's fun enough, but not as grand or spectacular as the first three. However, at least it doesn't meander on in pointless extrapolation like the third movie did.
June 27, 2017
Honestly, this is my first Pirates movie I've seen. Visuals are good and the film is not too comedic, timing it in good places.
June 26, 2017
I think this is where the franchise started to fall apart. This movie is still entertaining to watch, but it lacks anything appealing that the first three films had.
June 26, 2017
Horrible film, it was by far the worst of the series, and was very long, boring, and unnecessary. Hopefully the fifth installment will be better.
½ June 24, 2017
While the first three films painted a sprawling epic with thrilling subplots and laudable character development, this disjointed and haphazardly thrown-together sequel can barely be considered part of the same franchise. It's fun, but it's wildly inadequate.
June 22, 2017
This is another one people are 50/50 about but I enjoyed it. I thought it was farfetched in some parts but it was a good movie. I like it jsut as much as the other 3. I was a little disappointed about the way the fountain of youth looked. Depp and Rush are hilarious as usual. Good movie
June 22, 2017
If the adding of Penelope Cruz and Ian McShaw to the cast is attractive, it doesn't compensate for the fact that the film obviously isn't. It seems to have little to do with the first three of the franchise since it picks up every myth available (Foutain of Youth, Black Beard) and tries to make something out of it. However, 'On Stranger Tides' is running out of everything that was enjoyable in the original trilogy. Moreover, the absence of Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom is palpable. The two stars go for the little entertainment it can provide. Definitely rotten.