Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Reviews

April 25, 2017
The 4th POTC is my favorite in the series. Plot was less confusing than previous movies, fresh new cast, interesting story. I don't have much bad to say, HOWEVER, the only part of the movie that was a bit WTF was why the filmmakers chose not to resolve the romantic subplot between missionary Philip (Sam Claflin) and mermaid Syrena (Astrid Berges-Frisbey), not even after the credits ended were they given any small scene or explanation as to their fate. She drags him off to the depths but it is supposed to be assumed that their story ends happily. I guess we'll never know but its all a bit confusing and they should've at least given their short story some closure
½ April 15, 2017
While entertaining and restores the character of Jack Sparrow from previous abuse, OTS still provides a weak script, an uninteresting villain, and the complete degradation of Barbossa, all the while forcing romantic tropes in cheesy fashion.
April 14, 2017
An unneccesary movie to the Pirates franchise, but still worth seeing if a fan of the first 3.
½ April 10, 2017
I really did not enjoy this movie. I was very surprised and disappointed that this film was so... disappointing. Even Captain Jack Sparrow wasn't exactly like himself. His character came off as 'flat' and too serious. I truly felt the absence of Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner. The film just wasn't the same without them. The first two films were enough, the third one a bit over the top and now... I'm kind of over it.
½ April 7, 2017
Quite start to get bored with Jack Sparrow
March 30, 2017
The picture quality on the blu ray is rather nice, which can't really be said so much of the other films. But when you have two hours of what can beat be described as bland, tedious blockbuster action does that really matter? It's like saying the Transformers films are redeemed by looks alone.

The set up is bafflingly incoherent, things seem to conveniently happen even more than usual, but it isn't helped by weak direction and the main cast phoning it in with a gazed look on their eyes. Depp and Cruz in particular are woeful and only there for the pay cheque. Whateber shits Depp used to have for the character are gone now, the cheeky happy go lucky persona gone in favour of a weirdly intelligent, softly spoken and thoughtful Jack Sparrow. Ian mcshane was probably wondering what he did wrong in a previous life to even be there.
March 30, 2017
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

So I just got back from watching On Stranger Tides. To the point as a MAJOR fan of the series I enjoyed it, but because I'm a fan don't think I'm going to go easy on it muahaha.

First of all let me say the opening set in London is amazing, it's one of the funniest bits of the film and Cpt. Jack Sparrow makes a rather humorous entrance. We also get some brilliant cameos once again from Keith Richards, we also see Dame Judi Dench in probably one of the funniest cameos I have seen, And Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon) as the king which he plays perfectly. The only thing I will fault in the London scenes (first 25 mins) is that Keith Richard's cameo is too short... yes it's a cameo, but after it you want to know so much more about the character... such as why he can magically vanish? I'm guessing he's too much of a drunkard for them to give him a main or even secondary role.

Soon we meet Angelica (Penelope Cruz), now so many people have had their doubts about her, now I thought she was funny, but she isn't that likable and while she is tolerable in this film, I don't think she should be in anymore.... which by the looks of things she will be. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom aren't really missed, the Black Pearl crew are however. I personally think having them in would have hindered the plot, instead we have the crew of the Queen Anne's Revenge who unfortunately are forgettable, the only one who is memorable is Scrum (Stephen Graham) although he is too much like a replacement to Pintel & Ragetti (Baldy and Eyeball) who are irreplaceable and missed.

Next we are introduced to Blackbeard (Ian Mcshane), his introduction is his best scene and he feels like a menacing villain.... until shortly after when he becomes a pantomime villain scared of his death at the hands of a "One Legged Man". Ian McShane is quite capable of playing an amazing villain but unfortunately the character hasn't been developed and this is one of the films main negatives.

Now on to master Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, without doubt the best character in this film also the most developed, unfortunately all though he is in the film a fair bit... it's not enough. Despite this every scene he is in is fantastic and the chemistry between Barbossa and Jack is brilliant... as always. Another Character who isn't in the film enough is Mr Gibbs (Kevin Mcnally) he doesn't have all that much to do, but he provides a lot of the comic humor.

The mermaids in this film are amazing, the whole mermaid sequence is amazing, it's like Jaws but they are mermaids not a shark ;). Alot of reviewers complained that Phillip and Astrid where replacements for Keira & Orlando I strongly disagree, I think Phillip is a much more developed character then Will, although some of the romance bits can be a tad cheesy, the characters are far less annoying and look like they want to be there.

-this bits is mainly for the die hard fans and contains biggish spoilers- Both Lt Groves and Gillette have pretty much have nothing to do in this film and Gillette doesn't even speak... oh and both die at the end, it leaves you thinking why even bother bringing them back.

The final battle falls a bit flat compared to the previous films in terms of scale... it's basically a rehash of the first one's battle. Then again I guess they would have a hard time trying to do something bigger then a maelstrom.

Despite the negatives the film is still incredibly enjoyable, but it definitely feels more like a stand alone film. In terms of humor this one probably has some of the best, those who like sexual innuendo's will love it. Did I mention Angelica calls Jack Sparrow a bastard... like proper yells it ;). Oh and there are hint's to Cpt. Sparrow's sexuality ;).

I haven't actually spoke about Mr. Depp do I need to lol? As always he's on top form the one problem is towards the end he doesn't feel as central... he kinda disappears then it's like oh btw I'm still here.

As for the 3D it was done to a good standard, and wasn't over the top for example you didn't have things flying out of the screen constantly.

The soundtrack is brilliant as always credit to Mr Hans Zimmer. To conclude I think the critics have been far to harsh at the film and take it to seriously. See the film with a fresh mind and make your own opinion, but if you are a fan of the previous films I'm positive you will enjoy this one too.

Positives

Incredibly Funny
Brilliant Soundtrack
Fantastic Opening
Great Cast
Jack, Barbossa, & Gibbs Return
Cameos from Judi Dench, Keith Richards & Richard Griffiths (The latter being a bit more then a cameo)
The film looks good & CGI isn't overused, most things have been done practically e.g. most the stunts are real.
Perfect Running Length
Exept for Blackbeard most of the characters have some good character development.
Negatives

Ian McShane isn't given the chance to make Blackbeard a fearsome enough villain, instead he comes across a bit of a pantomime villain
Penelope Cruz will likely be in the next one.
The Crew from the previous films are sorely missed.
Keith Richard's Isn't in it enough.
Jack The Monkey, Cotton's Parrott & The Black Pearl put in appearances, but they are wayyyy too short, they are good appearances though... so i guess this could be positive too.
Jack doesn't get slapped... not even by Penelope Cruz
Geoffrey Rush & Kevin McNally are underused.
The mermaid scene & The opening are the only action scenes that stick out.
½ March 17, 2017
"Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" yet again travel on familiar waters in this yet action-packed adventure. It is unfortunate though that every new element they pull in, feels rather dated, unfocused and pointless the least.
½ March 15, 2017
The plot is less messy than POTC 3, told better. Most of the action scenes especially the mermaid scene is too notch with beautifully shot shots. However the lack of Will Turner and Elizabeth from the previous 3 pulls the movie charisma deeply.
March 4, 2017
This is awesome and It got Blackbeard and Mermaids <3
½ February 27, 2017
1.5/5. Easily the worst in the series. Depp, Rush, and Claflin are all great, and the mermaid capture scene is fun, but the rest of movie ranges between boring and stupid and it really never feels like a Pirates movie.
½ February 27, 2017
The film isn't a surprise disappointment based on the standard of the previous sequels. Depp's performance was once mesmerising but now seems a tad annoying. Ian McShane does his best but the story and script fail to allow him to deliver Blackbeard as a terrifying character.
February 22, 2017
I love the pirates of the carribbean
½ February 16, 2017
One of the most underrated blockbusters out there. I honestly cannot begin to comprehend why this is viewed so poorly.
February 6, 2017
This movie is my favorite one but don't get me wrong hay that have all become good movies!! I like the new villain Blackbeard Blackbeard is so creepy and a little funny I think I like how Blackbeard fights Barbosa that is a cool seen they both fight good, and it's very interesting that everyone is after the chalices. My favorite characters were Blackbeard Jack and Angelica. What is funny about this movie is that Blackbeard was a real person along time ago and his real name is Edward teach. This movie will blow you a way! See the trailer to this movie and it may look good to you!
January 27, 2017
This is one of the reasons it terrified me when I heard Disney was taking over the Star Wars and Indiana Jones properties. Disney only cares about pumping out movies and not quality like in the old days.
January 7, 2017
The worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie. There is no Elizabeth Swann or Will Turner, just Jack Sparrow, Gibbs, and Barbossa. It was pretty boring, until it got interesting in the end. Overall it's an "okay" movie.
January 3, 2017
POTC 4 Has Blackbeard in it and Jack Sparrow's love interest, Mermaids, but no Will, Elizabeth, Black Pearl crew (except for Gibbs).

This movie takes place in the 1700s and there were zombies in this film (I liked the idea). Did Zombies even existed back then?

I think this is a start to a new POTC trilogy... or are there supposed to be 7 made? Who knows who else will return in POTC 5? Maybe Angelica. This next movie could be like the Fast & Furious movies and focus on Will Turner's adventures,
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 20, 2016
A movie that has no reason to exist but to make money, especially if you consider the unnecessary 3D. Everything is so silly and predictable, the characters are mostly annoying, and you know something is very wrong when even the action scenes feel repetitious and underwhelming.