The Player - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Player Reviews

½ February 24, 2018
A look at 90's hollywood, but a look that I felt was forgetful and unnecessary. There was a good cameo list, and it was interesting to see the politics behind movie making, but characters I could care less about.

1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 17, 2018
I start to think I don't like Altman very much. And I am sure Tim Robbins is not among my favorites actors. It is true that on its final part the movie improves, but if I was the producer on this thing, I would have pulled the plug I am afraid.
January 6, 2018
A perfect bookend to Sunset Boulevard demystifying Hollywood lore. Cavalier in its approach, hits like a sack of doorknobs, just in case you ever get the itch to head out west to try your hand at screen writing. Altman returned after a lengthy self-imposed exile with this cynical opus exuding a profound intensity for his craft and a casual disregard for what others might care.
½ August 22, 2017
Witty little satire on the movie making industry, and the egos and personalties who fuel it.
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 It has a charm, but the most praise comes from self-indulging Hollywood.
August 20, 2017
Odd movie about sleazy Hollywood producers. Never really liked it. I've never really liked Tim Robbins either.
½ May 30, 2017
The Player not only marked Robert Altman's return to Hollywood relevance in the 1990s, but also ushered in meta-shows about the entertainment industry, from The Larry Sanders Show to Bojack Horseman. Unerringly scathing towards Hollywood culture and politics, the movie presents the process for how a film gets made, all while encasing the story in a noir-esque guise that's simply delectable. Filled to the brim with shots that blatantly reference movies (including the ultra-impressive opening long take that visibly and verbally references Touch of Evil), The Player is hardly subtle, but the cinematography and editing are so clever that one would be hard pressed to complain. Furthermore, it feels accurate to how the movie business works while also working as high-style pastiche, and the inclusion of actors-playing-themselves is very appreciated. Concluding with one of the most provocative endings of Altman's oeuvre (outside of his masterpiece 3 Women), The Player feels like a legit Hollywood classic, even if it only came out 25 years ago.
½ February 1, 2017
Simultaneously a mystery thriller and a satire of the politics and hobnob of big time Hollywood, "The Player" is considered by many as Robert Altman's crowning achievement.
January 19, 2017
Too old private jokes
December 11, 2016
This is a brilliant movie.
½ December 8, 2016
Feels more like a documentary which is to the movie's credit.
½ October 20, 2016
The Player is well acted, but everything in it is was so lifeless and boring from the plot to the characters. The film is not only immensely dull, but it also has a very confused identity to it as it never really knows what it wants to be and what genre it belongs to. It is never a great Hollywood satire film that it was supposed to be and it is one of the weakest films from one of the weakest years for film.
½ September 19, 2016
91%
Saw this on 18/9/16
A satirical and cynical anti-Hollywood black comedy that seems to be one of the best Altman films as opposed to Gosford Park. Altman manages to keep the movie interesting by effectively utlilizing its ensemble cast and various short cameos. The equally hold suspense, comedy, twists and its a treat to the movie fans thanks to the multitudes of film references within the film.
September 16, 2016
You can always tell when a movie is written by someone who's been screwed over before.
August 20, 2016
Thick-layered plot crafted by Altmann towards the basic moral of Hollywood and their incredible stupid and false behaviour. Naturally pulling every cliche there is, in outsmarting the system, really pinching itīs essence. Tim Robbins douching it through, making a monumental statement on the stereotypical "something" in their landscape of bisarre slickyness.
July 28, 2016
Tim Robbins is the perfect match for this incredibly cynical lookout on hollywood royalty and what they could get away with.
July 17, 2016
Super-meta. Super enjoyable.
½ July 6, 2016
A sure hit for any fanatic lover of films
June 1, 2016
I like Julia Roberts
May 8, 2016
Robert Altman uses his street cred to phone in a few favors, namely "will you be in my next film? You get to play yourself." There's a plot here, murder or something, some adultery, some lying, but it's way secondary to the taking of this over-an-hour-long Hollywood selfie that has so many cameos that you'll be wondering when a fresh face arrives onscreen if they're integral to the plot or simply another celeb strolling past the camera to wave at you. Behind the scenes, a idea for a film drama portraying "real life" is pitched, meant to have no stars in it at all to detract from focusing on the story. Guess what?