Playing for Keeps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Playing for Keeps Reviews

½ November 3, 2017
Playing for Keeps is a really hard movie to like. I tried to find one positive thing to say about the film, and I came up empty. I can imagine even rom-com fans will have a hard time liking this film, as I'm sure they have seen many better ones.

The acting is serviceable, which is the highest praise I can give to this film. Playing for Keeps stars Gerard Butler, Jessica Biel, Dennis Quaid, Judy Greer, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Uma Thurman. Not a bad cast. You're not going to think any of them are bad actors/actresses (even the child actor was pretty good overall), but they're not really doing their best and the chemistry between Biel and Butler isn't that great.

The problem with this movie is that it's very melodramatic. Playing for Keeps was directed by Gabriele Muccino, director of The Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds, both decent movies that starred Will Smith. Though they were both very melodramatic, at least the movie earned some of the melodrama. Playing for Keeps does not because the lead character isn't relatable. He's a former football player (as a British person, the word soccer doesn't exist) who's down on his luck, but seemingly gets everything handed to him when he becomes a children's football coach, such as a job as a sports anchor and a Ferrari just because he's friends with Dennis Quaid. Kids love him, women want to have sex with him, men want to be him, and it's one of the most self-aggrandizing pieces of shit I've ever seen (with Butler also serving as a producer).

Dennis Quaid was over-the-top and annoying. He plays a supporting role as a rich, unfaithful businessman who bribes George (Gerard Butler) with what looks like a thousand dollars (my estimate might be wrong) so that his son can be goalkeeper and his daughter can sing the national anthem. Why is that so important to him? And his admiration for George just felt awkward.

The women in the movie are idiots, with Uma Thurman being the biggest idiot of them all, and her shrillness made her character really irritating. Not that George is any smarter because he lets his child drive a Ferrari on the road at what looks like 60mph. The women are idiots for comedy purposes, but I only laughed once and the tone was all over the place. It's a bland and slightly crude rom-com in one scene and a mawkishly sentimental family drama in another.

Playing for Keeps is a very basic rom-com where Gerard Butler tries to be more responsible and rekindle his relationship with his son and ex-wife. Of course, his ex-wife takes him back in the end because the movie didn't even try to give her fiancé a personality. He does nothing other than open the door and greet Gerard Butler. There isn't even a subplot where he's suspicious that Jessica Biel might be cheating on him.

Playing for Keeps is a really bad film, which plays right into Gerard Butler's wheelhouse (I have yet to see a good Gerard Butler movie), but it's sad to see Gabriele Muccino sink this low. Playing for Keeps is a terrible rom-com that's on par with Gigli, and we all know what happened to Martin Brest after that film. Muccino's career is probably dead now because of this film as his latest film (Fathers & Daughters) was a critical and commercial failure. Thankfully, I saw this film on YouTube as no one cares enough about the film to take it down and it helped me fall asleep. So the next time I need help falling asleep (because I do get insomnia), I'll just watch this film again on YouTube.
October 8, 2017
Had potential but it just didn't live up to its attempted storyline, fell flat in many aspects
January 26, 2017
Un futbolista (Gerard Butler) se retira del fútbol y pasa por una mala racha económica, desempleado y buscando trabajo como periodista deportivo, logra hacerse de un espacio como DT de fútbol del equipo de su hijo, en donde sus encantos atraparán a las madres de otros chicos. En medio de una relación deteriorada con su ex mujer, George, el DT, no quiere darla por perdida y lucha para volver a conquistar a su mujer y de paso recuperar su familia. Con la actuación de Dennis Quaid, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jessica Biel, Uma Thurman.
January 10, 2017
Not good movie to watch
½ October 19, 2016
Worst movie i've ever seen
½ May 17, 2016
The movie has some jokes, it has an honest take on family life that you don't see in alot of movies. The Soccer moments are fun.
April 7, 2016
Predictable rom com / family film goodness.
November 29, 2015
pretty good movie...not really heart tugging but good
November 15, 2015
The movie was pretty good; the story was sweet and interesting. I especially thought Dennis Quaid did a great job. The thing I did not like about the movie was that it was hard to follow and I did not like George Butler in this film. He is a good actor, but I just feel that his character was not the right fit for him.
August 10, 2015
Likeable, but superficial and predictable rom-com.
½ July 5, 2015
All I saw were a bunch of horny, desperate soccer moms and a ass-kissin' soccer dad (Quaid) who'd love to screw Butler's character at any cost.
May 2, 2015
'Days Of Our Lives' Meets 'The Parent Trap'...Far Out. Bloody Terrible Combination. Your Mum Will Love It Tho.. Ha!!
April 1, 2015
Very cute movie. I loved everything about this
½ March 8, 2015
Really predictable, nothing original, quite by the number, but better than Butler normally is .. Nowhere near as poor as its rating on here would suggest
½ March 2, 2015
A beautiful..... FAILURE!
February 28, 2015
Comedy ? Totally not ! Just love story number 444354654 but other theme bild around it .Beautifull actresses ok , SOMDVD
½ February 23, 2015
I love Gerard Butler- but this movie was awful ... And boring... And boring..
½ January 30, 2015
Cute story and good life lessons.
½ January 21, 2015
Couldn't pay attention, didn't seem interesting
JohnSilver