Plaza Suite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Plaza Suite Reviews

August 7, 2016
Plaza Suite is a disappointing film. It is about relationship issues are presented and taking place in suite 719 of the Plaza Hotel in New York City. Walter Matthau and Maureen Stapleton give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Arthur Hiller did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
January 9, 2015
gr8 cast makes this one go
October 27, 2013
Based on Neil Simon's hit broadway play with three vignettes, each starring Matthau. The first is about a married couple with the husband admitting to a n extra marital relationship on the day of their anniversary. The second is about a producer seducing a young woman. The third is about the mother and father of a bride-to-be who locked herself in the bathroom moments before the wedding. All these vignettes take place at a Plaza suite. This is really a great showcase for Matthau's charisma and comedic personality. He really gets a chance to shine. However, Plaza Suite is not so well translated to the big screen here, in a stagey and overall underwhelming cinematic version that nevertheless does not undermine the charm and wit of the original material by Neil Simon. Nevertheless, it's not quite as memorable as it should have been, and for that reason it comes across as rather disappointing.
May 15, 2013
A great Neil Simon play put to film.
October 18, 2012
This is a funny movie!!
½ February 26, 2011
Walter Matthau is disastrously miscast in this rare Neil Simon misfire. His leading ladies are terrific, particularly Barbara Harris, but it never quite lifts off into comedy orbit.
January 18, 2011
Absolutely Awful! Don't waste your time or money, I wish I could give it NO stars!
½ June 27, 2010
A criminally underrated dark comedy that almost has the same strength as Neil Simon's stage play.
April 11, 2010

I am not a big fan of Neil Simon's writing, NO ONE talks like he writes. People who come up with smug one liners in an instant are few and far between. Often his characters come off abrasive as well. But this film has a cast that saves the trite writing and make it worth watching. Maureen Stapleton, Lee Grant and Barbara Harris are quite memorable, especially Stapleton.
April 11, 2010
68/100. This comedy/drama has three separate stories are linked together with the common factor of all being set at The Plaza Hotel in New York City. Walter Matthau stars in all three as separate characters.

January 10, 2010
Walter Matthau plays 3 different roles in 3 separate stories of what took place in the same suite at the Plaza Hotel. I enjoyed the smart dialogue and different looks at some varied relationships.
June 10, 2009
A very enjoyable movie with Walter Matthau. The third installment was the best. I would have slapped the holy hell out of that bitch if that was me.
May 22, 2009
This is a funny movie!!
October 7, 2008
nominated for best picture at the golden globes
August 10, 2008
I think the movie is a little darker and explore the relationships between the characters in a darker tone than I imagined. But it is still comic and fun little acts. I like the way that they used Matthau for the 3 roles.
June 28, 2008
a four star play, filmed. doesn't really work, though the dialog as a combo of neil simon adapting mike nichols and great stuff from walter matthau in three roles makes things as fun as the boxed-in filming allows.
½ June 26, 2008
Good flick! This was suppose to be part of "The Out Of Towners" but was later made into a separate movie. I thought it was funny
June 24, 2008
Three "separate" act movie based off of Neil Simon's play of the same name. Really not much to talk about except the first act was the most interesting. BTW this is movie 1200 for me!
June 15, 2008
The third story was boring, but the first two were well-written.
½ June 15, 2008