Pleasantville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pleasantville Reviews

November 18, 2018
This film has aged well, it's cute and funny with vintage Reese Witherspoon and Tobey Maguire!
September 11, 2018
This movie is amazing! Because the actors are great, the music is pretty good and the scenes are beautiful. The movie was made me laugh and sad. Great movie!
July 28, 2018
This movie has something for everyone. The visuals for the black and white are done so well by Gary Ross. It actually looks like a genuine sitcom from the 50s at times. The change to color is done very well too. Tobey Maguire is also excellent as Bud.
June 12, 2018
a very old fashioned black and white town is invaded by two modern day teens who begin to change the very predictable routines of everyone. its unforunate that sex, nudity and cheating were used in this movie. Otherwise i would rate 4. I enjoyed how the black and white gradually turned colors as people began to accept change.
May 27, 2018
just as good as i remembered.
April 8, 2018
More than just a pleasant movie. Something like Big meets Fargo.
½ December 23, 2017
I'm glad I finally watched this. It's pretty weird, but by the end the metaphor becomes crystal clear. You can't go back to the good old days.
October 31, 2017
it was pleasantly pleasing to me!
½ August 29, 2017
I enjoyed the old-fashioned theme and the wholesome goodness, but, I found parts of it disturbing at ruining the moral fabric of their society with current values
½ August 25, 2017
SAW IT IN a Ewaeds irvine
THEATER 10,25.98 $4
DONT REMBER ANTHING MUCH.
Now reading the reviews i'm guessing it knocks the wholesome tv shows of the 50s and 60s. The uncensored and unrestrained tv of today, began with cable tv's lack of inhibitions, and increasingly mocked by regular tv.....
August 14, 2017
If you ever lived in a TV and saw "Leave it to Beaver" notice the mother was always dressed in an evening gown and wore high-heeled shoes?? Well this movie was about 2 kids trapped inside a TV where everything was B & W - but soon color starts to arrive with dazzling Visuals where B & W turns to color!
I have to give Pleasantville a *4* star Rating!
August 6, 2017
Story about a conservative mid-western town in the 1950's that gets magically transformed into a liberated populace filled with happiness and joy. It hates on anything small town calling it racist, sexist, hating on art, etc. Not my type of movie.
July 30, 2017
1929 Was 69 Years Old In 1998.
July 13, 2017
Great movie, reminded me of Big Fish a few times...great plot and acting. Really makes you think about today's society.
June 3, 2017
There's nothing thought-provoking in this movie, to be honest, it's very simple and plain, it's only trying to be something more that it it. This is just another liberal entry in fighting against the past and traditions, in trying to destroy and condemn everything in the past and to offer ... nothing. Just to destroy.
Evaluating technical sides of the movie it's amazing, the mix of b\w and technicolor is awesome. The soundtrack, of course, can't be not good, especially when you are utilizing good old rock-n-roll. And the talented cast in addition.
January 17, 2017
Interesting illustration of backwards people and the "perfect life."
November 24, 2016
Great fun! R.I.P. Don Knotts. On Blu-ray.
½ November 12, 2016
It starts out as a lovely homage to TV shows from the 1950s, but then it brilliantly turns into an allegory of racism and acceptance. I thought this was going to be one of those lighthearted and entertaining comedy films that uses old formula to deliver something fun, but it ended up being something more. "Pleasantville" is a terrific film and one of the most original movies I've ever seen. It is charming, funny, wonderfully acted, and visually dazzling. I loved it.
½ October 17, 2016
Love the switch between color and b+w. Touching movie with deeper messages about censorship and fear of the unknown or even change.