The Power of One Reviews

• Jan 28, 2019

Great film with a beautiful soundtrack.

Great film with a beautiful soundtrack.

• Jan 27, 2019

A young man, growing up with racial equality on a South African Farm, who travels to boarding school, learns hard lessons about love and life, and comes of age as a minority of English descent in racist White Afrikaner (German) Apartheid South Africa, pre WWII through post WWII. Everyone loves a David vs Golaith movie and this one is no exception. With early roles for Brad Doriff and a vile Daniel Craig, reliable performances from Morgan Freeman and John Gielguld, the nice surprise here are the fresh faces of Nomadlozi Kubheka, Alois Moyo and Faith Edwards and the music that plays as important a role in the movie as it does in the story. Watching this little gem for the first time in 2019, twenty years after it was made, with aprtheid in the rear windown and understanding that there are good people in every village, every culture and every country, who change the world with hope and action, the message is clear, hope is not enough. Real change involves action and working together. I am not surprised that so many critics lack an appreciation for this film. As the world continues to hope and pray, the media continues to manipulate all of us, for their own benefit.

• Aug 28, 2018

This movie is pretty dated now but I watched it in high school. What i remember most was the boxing match with the 8 hit combo attack

• Aug 18, 2018

Excellent movie, made to watch at times because of the barbaric acts of the primitive police but worth a view.

• Jun 30, 2018

• Apr 29, 2018

Great film...classic

Great film...classic

• Mar 31, 2018

I had to watch this movie in my world literature class in school a while back, and... it was dissapointing. It had some good scenes, but a lot of it was either boring or just flat-out gross. Its better than listening to some mind numbing lecture, for sure, but as a movie, I'd take almost ANYTHING else over this.

• May 14, 2017

The film wants to be epic and mostly is. The story itself not being true, shows the viewpoint of an english boy raised amongst black in South-Africa. The english boy represents the good english while the africaners are the evil ones, even though the english instaured appartheid and invented the concentration camps, where tens of thousands aficaners and black africans died. The story is not as simplistic as some reviewers say but it is much simplist once the boy get into boxing. (See http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/power/context.html for more about the context.) I saw a film that captures the appartheid (Catch a fire) toward the end and it was very much like Nazi or East Germany with gestapo-like squads. Here the film follows a invented character that could not have too much influence on the country, because it just represents a humanist side of the white african. It provides evidence of the extent of the evil white side. It is true that some white were playing target shooting with Zoulous. One famous english bought a machine gun and pissed off the zulus to the point they would attack him. He mowed them down with the machine gun and declared himself a genius.

• Feb 13, 2017

More than anyone wants it to be, The Power of One is a hard look at some of the worst times in the history of the world. It is full of love. It is full of pain.