Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Reviews

½ March 20, 2017
bad acting...awful movie
March 15, 2017
I tried to watch it on two different occasions, and it did not hold my attention long enough to get to the action shown in the trailer.
March 12, 2017
Well, it's settled; Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' still holds its own as a true classic...even if you fill it with the undead.
½ March 11, 2017
If you manage to go over the question "Why?" that comes in your mind after you have read the title of this movie, and you don't have prejudices of any kind, well, I think you can also arrive to enjoy it. In fact is a well made movie, even funny in my opinion. Also because the idea of adding zombies to Pride and Prejudice is so silly that it can only be good, or terrible.
March 9, 2017
Having read the wonderful book, I'm giving this film a miss. Do yourself a favor: re-read Jane Austen, then read the wonderful parody. I'm not willing to allow Hollywood to hijack my fun.
March 5, 2017
A bit too gratuitous to be campy, but this is a fun send-up of the Jane Austen classic. Just be prepared.
½ March 4, 2017
Wish there was a little more romance.
February 28, 2017
Look i could not help myself. I thought this was a fun movie. I was not expecting anything grand or amazing but it was fun. I kind of wish they had gone even more overboard with it.
February 19, 2017
This is for that odd bunch who likes period pieces AND zombies..get a feel the book would be better. Watch it if you fall in that slim venn diagram. Warning, it's a LOT more jane austen than zombie flick, so might leave most disappointed.
½ February 17, 2017
Ihan jees genresekoitus!

** 1/2 /5
February 16, 2017
Very boring and extremely ridiculous. It's just another zombie movie but worst than any zombie show or movie I've seen. I definitely wasted my time watching this. It's based on a book that has nothing to do with zombies. Like I said, a ridiculous movie.
February 14, 2017
It is what it says on the box.
It is not meant to be taken seriously.
Great cast. Good storyline and brilliant effects.

This is the ultimate rom-com / gory film you want to watch when you just want to chill.
This film deserves much more credit than it has been given just for the fact that it was never meant to be a zombie film nor a pathetic love story.
½ February 7, 2017
Horrible film. Stupid.
½ February 5, 2017
Starts with a bang only to fizzle out and die towards the end. The first half was stylish and a fun take on the classic novel. The cast were all charming and fun. Then we get to the midpoint of the film then it becomes sluggish and starts to look cheap. Its as if they were running out money half way through production. Its most noticeable during the climax with the climactic duel looking something straight out of history channel. In the end its still a fun film but it could've been so much more. A fun mash up take on the zombie genre that leaves more to be desired due to its interesting premise.
February 2, 2017
Loved the movie. Ironically, I think this movie is getting a low rating due to people's own prejudice against the title of the film! I watched P&P with Ms. Knightly and I have to say, throwing some zombies in the mix here actually kept me awake this time around. I can tell the low rating is coming from a bunch of movie snobs. The adaptation sticks to the essence of the book but doesn't drown one in a whole bunch of flowery exposition. Anytime I start falling asleep with the pretentious dialogue of the old movie, P&P&Z throws some zombies my way to bring back the excitement. It is entertaining, sexy, and fun. Sadly, I don't think the movie will get the attention that it deserves because of the title of the film. I have to admit when I first saw it, I was a bit skeptical. Get over your pride! Get over your prejudice and watch this flick! It's a fun weekend popcorn flick that commands your attention and frankly deserves more attention than it is getting from snooty movie critics.
½ February 1, 2017
Very dull and too long
January 29, 2017
*** May Contain Spoilers***

I have to say, I'm surprised at such a low rating for this movie. That being said, I waited until it was on STARZ to watch it. I would also like to say that I had never read the Jane Austen book, nor watched any film adaptation of her book prior to seeing this movie. So, I went into this movie with no preconceived notions about what I thought it should be. I saw it for what it was, and nothing more. I also didn't expect much going into it.

All that being said, I absolutely LOVE this movie! This movie had everything for someone that doesn't really take to romance stories. It had zombies. It had action. It had comedy. It had cringe worthy mortification. It had angst. It had romance. It had a bit of everything, that surprisingly worked well to bring a cohesive picture together and make an enjoyable fun movie for a Friday night with a bowl of popcorn.

How do I even begin to say what I loved about this movie? I loved the interaction between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. I found their story more enjoyable to watch then even the zombie action. The interaction between these two actors was amazing. They had this incredible chemistry together on screen that I have rarely seen Lily James have with another co-star (Cinderella, anyone?). Sam Riley's portrayal of the silent, brooding Mr. Darcy was great. I'll hold any other actor to claim that role to his standard for the rest of my life. Their interactions made me laugh. I found them one of the most enjoyable aspects of the movie. The first time Mr. Darcy proposed to Elizabeth, I was floored. I had no idea it was coming. Indeed, I had no idea that he had any feelings for her aside from contempt. And when she attacked him, I cracked up. It was perfect. Yet, after watching the movie a second time, I saw the subtle signs that said he was infatuated with her, that were easy to miss if you had no prior knowledge of the source material, such as the scene when he's in the garden at night hacking away at the hedges with his katana, because he's hopelessly in love with her, and she continues to confound him.

I also love the zombie aspect of the movie. Every absurdity in their society, every absurdity in their interactions, is all overshadowed by the never ending cloud hanging over their heads that at any moment zombies could attack and ruin everything. It lends the whole story a sense of urgency that otherwise would just make some of the silliness in their interactions contrite.

After watching this movie, I became curious as to its source material, so I read the actual book and watched a six-hour film adaptation of it done in the mid 90's. By comparison, I still prefer this version of the story. Why? Because the writer while keeping true to the story, and actually using many of the lines from the book written by Jane Austin for the dialogue of the movie, cut out all of the long flowery speeches that made the original dull, and often times ridiculous. How many pleasantries can you say before you get to the point of what you are saying? This movie cuts out all of the excess, unnecessary dialogue and just sticks to the point, drives the point home, and moves on to the next piece of the story. Simple storytelling. I like that.

I would love to see a Director's Cut of this movie, that includes some of the aspects from the book that were rushed out of it, such as when Elizabeth is introduced to Mr. Darcy's sister, and the "feud" between Miss Bingley and Elizabeth for Mr. Darcy's attention. I think some of that added into this movie could lend it a bit more enjoyability, tell more of the story, and still keep the zombie action moving.

If you can put aside any predisposed prejudices you have for the original source material, and just accept this movie for what it is, and not what you think it should be, then you will enjoy it immensely. If not, then you will hate it. This is not Pride and Prejudice. This is Pride and Prejudice and ZOMBIES.
½ January 26, 2017
Goodest zombie movie Ever
January 25, 2017
When I heard that Portman was cast as Lizzie, the stars where shining just for me. But too soon the rumours changed and eventually we were served with... this. It's not completely bad, but it could have been so much more.
January 23, 2017
Its not funny nor scary. In fact its a bit of a mess. The plot is stupid and whilst laughing at Jane Austin it really struggled to make me laugh and was extremely uninteresting.