Prime Cut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prime Cut Reviews

February 3, 2018
a very cool movie that reminded me of point blank. lee marvin is a badass who has been forgotten by modern audiences but he was great
July 7, 2017
Story about a mercenary for hire who decides to take down a major crime sydicate. The acting by Marvin, Spacek and Hackman is awesome. The directing by Ritchie is great as well. But the storyline was rather odd. Something about southern gangsters who run drugs and pimp women didn't make much sense to me.
August 7, 2014
Not one of Lee Marvin's nor Gene Hackman's best. It was like watching a made for TV movie. Probably would have been if it weren't for the R rated scenes but they're mild compared to what you see today. Features a very young Sissy Spacek.
jjnxn
½ June 5, 2014
Violent both in action and intention. Exposing some of the seamy underbelly of the seemingly docile Midwest. Fantastic acting by Marvin, Hackman and a very young Sissy Spacek. The beginning is not for the squeamish.
½ June 1, 2014
Nothing Finer Than A Gangster Film Where The Anti~hero Totally Ruins A Filthy Scum Gang Of Rapists And Child Abusers ,The Unmissed Cannibalisim is obvious in the Title Scene And The Scene where The Sausage Is Deliv
ered To Nick's Patron.!
April 15, 2014
Still effectively gruesome yet slickly paced, Ritchie's darkly comic yet grisly mob thriller is damn good. It's a little short, but tight editing, strong performances from our three top-billers and a satisfying action climax make up for it.
April 6, 2014
This came out around the same time as THE CANDIDATE and was unanimously panned. If nothing else it did give us Sissy Spacek.
January 7, 2014
When a Kansas City meat baron stings the outfit in Chicago for $500,000 they hire Irish gangster Lee Marvin to collect payment. Hackman is one scummy cunt as the debtor who likes to turn his enemies into sausages. Marvin is cool as fuck and Angel Tompkins made me cream my togs.
September 10, 2013
The mob enforcer Nick Devlin (Lee Marvin) is hired by Chicago racketeer Jake (Eddie Egan) to collect an overdue payment of $500,000 from Kansas City cattle baron Mary Ann (Gene Hackman). The previous attempts to collect the money has resulted in Jake´s men having been mauled into sausages and drowned in the Missouri River. Devlin agrees to the fee of $50,000 and asks for some additional muscle. He gets a driver and three other younger members of the Irish mob as help him in the mission. When Devlin confronts Mary Ann at his cattle ranch in Kansas City it´s revealed that he also sells women as sex slaves. One of them, who is later revealed to have the name Poppy (Sissy Spacek), begs Devlin for help. Devlin takes her with him "on account". The next day Devlin is supposed to pick up the money at a county fair, but Mary Ann has other plans for Devlin and his men...

"Prime Cut" was considered highly risqué for its time based on its violence and particularly its graphic depiction of female slavery, including a scene depicting naked young women in pens being auctioned like beef cattle. It is also noted for its depiction of the beef slaughtering process, and a famous chase scene involving a combine harvester, in an open field. Seeing Lee Marvin in the shoes (in this case white loafers!) of a hit man or enforcer is not really something out of the ordinary as he did a few roles as specifically that. His performance is low-key and yet you know that Devlin is a highly dangerous man who won´t stop for anything when on a mission. Gene Hackman is in great and nasty shape doing yet another bad guy you truly mislike the minute he appears. "Prime Cut" is gritty and I love how Michael Ritchie has directed it with a touch of Hitchcock goes hillbilly. The action is pretty solid, even if it wobbles sometimes. I love as well that Devlin uses a Smith & Wesson M76 submachine gun which is a copy of the Swedish Carl Gustav M/45. The funny thing is that I have been looking at this movie a couple of times, but the cover was so shitty I didn´t think it would be any good. Then I found the movie in a remastered version with a different much more appealing cover in Berlin and thus I bought it. Meaning a dvd cover design does make a difference. "Prime Cut" is a gangster action/drama that stands out specifically with the very ugly view on female sex slavery, but also with great performances by Marvin and Hackman.
½ June 25, 2013
dreckiger 70er jahre thriller mit tollem cast
½ June 12, 2013
Wow. You've never seen such a lurid, satirical take on the crime genre. Part western, part noir, part exploitation result in a grotesquely entertaining fever dream.
½ May 25, 2013
Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, and no plot--Nothing but cellulite!!
February 23, 2013
I wish I was as cool as Lee Marvin.
February 23, 2013
Very gritty crime thriller with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman, Sissy Spacek was good in this.
½ January 5, 2013
Lee Marvin travels to Kansas City as Chicago enforcer looking to collect some outstanding debts from a racketeering meat packer. Not bad but makes Kansas City look like a rural outpost. Sissy Spacek's credited film debut.
½ October 27, 2012
Kansas City meat packer and prostitution racket skips payments to Chicago bosses and sends their collector back as weiners. Top enforcer Lee Marvin is sent to straighten things out. Ending scene of freed orphans running in a field was a bit much.
October 3, 2012
Great movie, especially the bit where the combine harvester destroys the cadillac
½ September 8, 2012
Not bad, but man do they trash Kansas. I hope kansas wasn't like that.
February 9, 2012
After receiving a package of hotmandogs, the remnants of the crumbling Chicago Mob send Lee Marvin down to Kansas City to fetch their money and exact some serious punishment on Gene Hackman's gutmuncher cattle goon. Prime Cut is one of the all time great crime stories of the 1970s and it does not get the love it deserves these days. City Slicker Mobsters descend into Middle America Hell with gawking shotgun blonde farmboys as demons. Maybe not my favorite Marvin movie (Point Blank is A No. 1, see below), his satchel full of guns toting Devlin is my favorite Marvin character and probably the closest he's come to capturing the Parker of Richard Stark's novels. Gene Hackman's Mary Ann is sooooo vile and disgusting, a spiritual predecessor to his rich rancher from The Hunting Party and you do not want to be anywhere near him when he's 1. feasting on cow pieces 2. Wrassling with his Hotdog wielding brother. And Sissy Spacek has never been better than she is here as the girlflesh Poppy; utterly sweet & innocent while also managing to be nowhere near sweet & innocent. Prime Cut is a Great Movie, but don't make the mistake I did: eating my Chipotle Burrito Bowl dinner while the meat packing credits churned on. Unpleasant. VF.
October 17, 2011
Top drawer hard-case of his time, Lee Marvin, plays the role of Mafia enforcer, appointed to collect some half a million dollars of outstanding dues from a mid-west beef-baron who has turned renegade named 'Mary Anne' played by Gene Hackman. Marvin, it seems, is the latest in a series of previously vanished enforcers sent to take care of Mary Anne, the last one being returned to the east-coast mob as a parcel of sausages! Mary Anne is a nasty piece of work - as well as making gourmet cannibal sausages and trading cattle, he holds special market days for naked girls who are drugged up to their eyeballs and sold to the highest bidder.

There are a number of memorable moments in which country cattle-hicks are depicted almost as a different race. A bloody gunfight breaks out during a country fair. At another time, a Cadillac and a combine-harvester go head to head, with results that are both grisly and comic! The final shoot-out comes as something of an anti-climax.

Prime Cut is a very off-beat piece of cinema that pulls few punches with regard to its subject matter, and still deserves its reputation for originality. Very enjoyable.