Prime Cut Reviews

• Jun 15, 2019

Piece of crap. Worthless.

Piece of crap. Worthless.

• Feb 03, 2018

a very cool movie that reminded me of point blank. lee marvin is a badass who has been forgotten by modern audiences but he was great

• Jul 07, 2017

Story about a mercenary for hire who decides to take down a major crime sydicate. The acting by Marvin, Spacek and Hackman is awesome. The directing by Ritchie is great as well. But the storyline was rather odd. Something about southern gangsters who run drugs and pimp women didn't make much sense to me.

• Aug 07, 2014

Not one of Lee Marvin's nor Gene Hackman's best. It was like watching a made for TV movie. Probably would have been if it weren't for the R rated scenes but they're mild compared to what you see today. Features a very young Sissy Spacek.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jun 03, 2014

Violent both in action and intention. Exposing some of the seamy underbelly of the seemingly docile Midwest. Fantastic acting by Marvin, Hackman and a very young Sissy Spacek. The beginning is not for the squeamish.

• Jun 01, 2014

Nothing Finer Than A Gangster Film Where The Anti~hero Totally Ruins A Filthy Scum Gang Of Rapists And Child Abusers ,The Unmissed Cannibalisim is obvious in the Title Scene And The Scene where The Sausage Is Deliv ered To Nick's Patron.!

• Apr 15, 2014

Still effectively gruesome yet slickly paced, Ritchie's darkly comic yet grisly mob thriller is damn good. It's a little short, but tight editing, strong performances from our three top-billers and a satisfying action climax make up for it.

• Apr 06, 2014

This came out around the same time as THE CANDIDATE and was unanimously panned. If nothing else it did give us Sissy Spacek.

• Jan 07, 2014

When a Kansas City meat baron stings the outfit in Chicago for $500,000 they hire Irish gangster Lee Marvin to collect payment. Hackman is one scummy cunt as the debtor who likes to turn his enemies into sausages. Marvin is cool as fuck and Angel Tompkins made me cream my togs.

• Sep 09, 2013

The mob enforcer Nick Devlin (Lee Marvin) is hired by Chicago racketeer Jake (Eddie Egan) to collect an overdue payment of $500,000 from Kansas City cattle baron Mary Ann (Gene Hackman). The previous attempts to collect the money has resulted in Jake´s men having been mauled into sausages and drowned in the Missouri River. Devlin agrees to the fee of $50,000 and asks for some additional muscle. He gets a driver and three other younger members of the Irish mob as help him in the mission. When Devlin confronts Mary Ann at his cattle ranch in Kansas City it´s revealed that he also sells women as sex slaves. One of them, who is later revealed to have the name Poppy (Sissy Spacek), begs Devlin for help. Devlin takes her with him "on account". The next day Devlin is supposed to pick up the money at a county fair, but Mary Ann has other plans for Devlin and his men... "Prime Cut" was considered highly risqué for its time based on its violence and particularly its graphic depiction of female slavery, including a scene depicting naked young women in pens being auctioned like beef cattle. It is also noted for its depiction of the beef slaughtering process, and a famous chase scene involving a combine harvester, in an open field. Seeing Lee Marvin in the shoes (in this case white loafers!) of a hit man or enforcer is not really something out of the ordinary as he did a few roles as specifically that. His performance is low-key and yet you know that Devlin is a highly dangerous man who won´t stop for anything when on a mission. Gene Hackman is in great and nasty shape doing yet another bad guy you truly mislike the minute he appears. "Prime Cut" is gritty and I love how Michael Ritchie has directed it with a touch of Hitchcock goes hillbilly. The action is pretty solid, even if it wobbles sometimes. I love as well that Devlin uses a Smith & Wesson M76 submachine gun which is a copy of the Swedish Carl Gustav M/45. The funny thing is that I have been looking at this movie a couple of times, but the cover was so shitty I didn´t think it would be any good. Then I found the movie in a remastered version with a different much more appealing cover in Berlin and thus I bought it. Meaning a dvd cover design does make a difference. "Prime Cut" is a gangster action/drama that stands out specifically with the very ugly view on female sex slavery, but also with great performances by Marvin and Hackman.