Princess Caraboo Reviews

• Feb 25, 2016

This is just a wonderful flight of imagination and fun. Kevin Kline, Phoebe Cates, John Lithgow, Wendy Hughes all at their best. Amazing

• Sep 25, 2013

An OK movie, easy to see how it fell through the cracks. There are funny moments, but I wouldn't call it a comedy, and it's too lighthearted to be considered a drama. Still, Phoebe Cates gives an admirable-enough performance, committing through most of the movie to the Caraboo persona, that is when she talks. More focus is paid to the supporting cast's bewilderment than to her actual experience as Caraboo. To that end, Jim Broadbent, Wendy Hughes, Kevin Kline & John Lithgow are amusing in how they're affected by Caraboo's presence. Kline, as always, is funny with that whipcrack delivery of his. He was underused though, and maybe mis-cast as the Greek butler. I did like Stephen Rea's performance as he transitions from journalist sniffing out an interesting story to a growing affection for this woman. It's an amusing movie, but not a particularly memorable standout in the crowd of lighthearted '90s movies.

• Jul 17, 2013

This story if funny, and one of the last performances of Phoebe Cates. Loved it!

• Jul 15, 2013

Good performances here and entertaining, but it is lacking a certain edge or drama that it could have had.

• Jul 31, 2011

This is one of my favorite movies. Never a major box office hit, I discovered this film quite by accident in a rare, late night television viewing. Outside of Cate's celebrated bikini scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I was never a fan until catching her in this little gem. From a pure acting standpoint, non-verbal acting is the most difficult, and she fulfilled this difficult proposition with creative aplomb and surprising grace. She was delicious in the role, absolutely captivating. And what could be better than being supported by a truly stellar cast, consisting of the finest American and British actors in existence? The story (based on a true event) was ripe for the telling, the script, the cast, the marvelous locations and production values-- all first-rate. This movie is what I call a "sleeper." A magical film that one often finds by accident, then asks, "Why didn't this film ever receive the attention and success it so richly deserved?" I LOVED IT.

• Dec 05, 2010

Very enjoyable film part factual part fairy tale.

Very enjoyable film part factual part fairy tale.

• Feb 25, 2010

Probably the best thing about this story is that it is partly true. It is the story of Mary Baker (Phoebe Cates), a working girl who invents the character of Princess Caraboo, a ship-wrecked princess from an exotic eastern locale. She invents a language and costume to accompany her story and succeeds in duping the English royalty and upper classes. Quietly skeptical, yet in awe of her powers of imagination is John Gutch (Stephen Rea), who succeeds in uncovering her secret, and falls in love with her in the process. There was a Mary Baker who impersonated Princess Caraboo. After being discovered, she set sail for the U.S. There was also a journalist, John Gutch, who did uncover her story, but there doesn't appear to have been much of a relationship between them. Anyone who has ever been bored at a boring job and dreamed of impersonating anyone else, will be sympathetic to Mary Baker's story. I also like the message that classiness (princess qualities) are something largely unrelated to wealth and station-in-life.

• Jan 03, 2010

"Your much too pretty to have your blood splattered on the wall by dirty hippies".

• Sep 02, 2009

I loved this movie as a kid, but I'd be afraid to watch it again in case it sucks!

• Jun 04, 2009