Purple Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Purple Rain Reviews

February 25, 2017
The perfect rock n' roll movie.
February 16, 2017
I am a recent fan of Prince. I heard the song Purple Rain for the first time after Prince's passing in early 2016. I fell in love with the song. I bought the vinyl record and have loved it ever since. After Bruno Mars's great Prince tribute at the Grammys this year, I decided to give Prince's Purple Rain film a shot. Not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed. When Prince is on stage performing, it's great and watching the Purple Rain performance was magical. Such a great song. However, this isn't simply watching Prince in concert, there is a story here. Unfortunately, the story is fairly basic and kind of boring. I've definitely seen the "struggling artist from an abusive home" storyline before with the artist becoming his own worst enemy and all the typical things that come with a story like this. I have no problem with simple stories if they are told well, but it's hard to enjoy this story when it is bogged down by terrible acting. Prince himself is actually not that bad, but all his supporting cast cannot give a convincing performance to save their lives. His manager is so bad it's hilarious so I'll give him a pass, but his girlfriend, his father, bandmates, forget about it. They do nothing to save this movie which for the most part, is just pretty boring. Sidenote, I love 80's music, but this movie really shows off the crazy side of the decade. Overall, I cannot recommend this movie unless you are the biggest Prince fan in the world. Even still, I'd say just stick with music videos.
February 3, 2017
An weird, erotic, cheesy, funny, emotional, and musical delight. R.I.P Prince
December 9, 2016
More of a story through music than dialogue.
½ November 25, 2016
I have read this movie is quasi-biographical which makes it quite interesting IMO. The song "Purple Rain" gives me chills every time I hear it. Nothing beats music from the 80s.
November 21, 2016
Great music, mediocre acting, derivative story, dated sexism.
November 4, 2016
I watched Purple Rain when it was first released in 1984. I was 17 years old at the time and what I recall of my first viewing of the movie was that while the acting was weak and the plot was pretty basic, the music had the entire theatre transfixed from the opening "Let's Go Crazy" to the final song "Baby I'm a Star". The energy in the theatre was incredible and the buzz, as I left the theatre, was palpable.

I read that Eric Clapton was in a "downward spiral with drink and drugs" before he saw Purple Rain in a Canadian movie theatre and it hit him like a bolt of lightning. He went back to his hotel and wrote "Holy Mother". After Prince's death, Eric Clapton called Prince "A True Genius". That was the impact of this movie for many and the accompanying album was the soundtrack of the year in 1984. It topped the Billboard chart for the last 22 weeks of the year and sold more than 9 million copies. It also won the Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture.

If you're looking for great acting, an original story, and great production value, look somewhere else. If you want to get a feel for what 1984 looked and sounded like with a semi-autobiographical story about Prince's rise to superstardom, then you should check out Purple Rain.
½ September 11, 2016
I never liked the music of Prince, and as this is a showpiece for just that, I found this a real struggle. The plot had obviously been put together just to make the songs make sense. The acting is awful, especially from the new romantic midget himself.
August 7, 2016
Always loved this movie and always will ??????????????????
July 30, 2016
I watched this because of Prince's recent death and felt that as a Minneapolis native I should see it at least once. No need to watch it again. The music is great, but the story is rather dull and cheesy and the acting is pretty bad. I appreciate its place in history and what it did for music, but I don't think it is that great of a movie.
June 27, 2016
Despite their distinct styles, the comparisons between Prince and Bowie are staggering: same death year, extremely unique auras, supreme talent, sexual androgyny, purposed mystery, peerless and singular iconography, and one feature film each that fits their individual je ne sais quoi perfectly. Purple Rain is flawed for sure (problematic treatment of women, comically melodramatic acting), but the characters are interesting, the musical performances are killer, and it's filled with effortless coolness.
June 21, 2016
I watched this film recently because a friend told me it was great and that Prince was a musical genius. After watching this film, it validated what I always suspected. This was not a great film and Prince was an overrated musician.

This film is Prince. This launched his career and music. In my opinion, his career never did much else after this. Never again did he release great hits despite so many years in show business. Prince was in the 90s, 00s and 10s, much like the Rolling Stones have been after Tattoo You in the early 80s. At least the Stones had a myriad of classic hits from 1964 to 1981!

The film plot is light fare. Apollonia is teen boy wet dream fare. Prince's music is pretentious fare. His guitar playing is lightweight and overrated.

Despite not being a Prince fan, he has a tremendous amount of hit material in this film. Objectively, this is an okay watch, but not a good or great film. Predictable plot. Prince takes himself way too seriously. I assume fans bought into this. I never did. As a guitarist myself, I never had any respect for his musicianship.

The film defines the 80s Prince music genre.
June 7, 2016
Prince, will be missed.
June 3, 2016
This is Prince at his all time best. If you can get past the awful plot and acting, what you will find is some of the best music ever. And, not just from Prince, but from the other band in the movie, The Time.
June 2, 2016
Please bring this back to the big screens on June 7th, every year, in honor of Prince's birthday! At least in Minneapolis!
½ May 18, 2016
It looks fantastic and there are some great musical numbers, but the story is stupid and Prince's character is basically a big a-hole.
May 18, 2016
In Summer 1984, critics trashed this film for poor acting and wafer thin script.. completely missing the point. The band rivalries and domestic violence are sidebars to the music, which carries the picture. 30 years on, one can easily see why this lifted Eric Clapton out of depression and inspired Springsteen. Purple Rain was a star-making vehicle for Prince, and when judged as a musician's film, it's flawless.
May 15, 2016
amazing for obvious reasons. still, the psychology in this film is dark and deep. glad The Kid redeemed himself.
May 14, 2016
Great music and great music performances by Prince are the obvious highlights of this film. The story surrounded it is bone bare on plot. There are a few overdramatic moments, yet the real eyebrow raiser is the last song performance to end the film. Prince does a little hand gesture dance for "I would die 4 U" that includes pointing a finger gun to the head. Quite inappropriate after watching his father lying in a hospital bed after shooting himself in the head.