Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale Reviews

½ May 19, 2016
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale is an incredibly authentic and weird movie with such an original plot to it, some very good scenes and an excellent build-up with a great mysterious tone to it, but it nevertheless disappointed me as its third act felt too Americanized and the filmmakers didn't quite know what to do with this story, ending it in a very disappointing way.
December 28, 2015
Lasten kanssa katsottiin, ja etukäteen vähän varoteltiin. Mutta ehkä se joulumieli ei tästä ihan täysin kadonnut. Leffassa häiritsi sama kuin Big Gamessa, ei Suomen Lapissa ole tuollaisia vuoria. Eikä metsiä. Muuten lavastus oli kiva, ja hauskasti toteutettu. Ei ollenkaan niin paha kuin muistin.

Aiempi arvostelu:
Hmh, olihan aikamoinen tarina, mutta trailerin perusteella odotukset olivat kyllä paljon paljon korkeammalla. Erittäin outo, ihan kivasti tehty, mutta vähän jäi tarina kevyeksi ja perusteet epäselviksi. Yritystä oli (ehkä liiaksikin?), mutta jotain oleellista jäi puuttumaan ja leffa tuntui vähän heppoiselta. Joulun kunniaksi ja hyvästä yrityksestä puoli tähteä enemmän kuin ansaitsisi. Jos haluat mennä katsomaan hyvän suomalaisen leffan, niin valitse tämän sijasta Napapiirin Sankarit.
December 25, 2015
Fun Christmas Horror
December 20, 2015
Rare Exports is an unexpectedly delightful crossbreed of deadpan comedy and Christmas horror. Rare Exports is a darkly amusing and mildly menacing film whose chief benefit is the skewed courage with which it undermines all that is decent and heartwarming at this time of the year. The end gets a little silly, but the building tension of the first two acts allows for some deliciously creepy moments and a true feeling of dread: the sense of something very old, and very hungry, shuffling toward you in the Yuletide dark. The focus of this bizarre Finnish fairy tale - as black as anything the Brothers Grimm could have dreamed up - is a sinister old codger who chews off ears and whose demon minion kidnaps innocent children. Both a father-son bonding picture and a Santa-skewering satire, this oddball tale of life on a snowy mountainside is consistently upbeat and surprising, with action intensity that stays sturdily at Goonies level. What's awesome about movies from other countries is that you get to experience strange juxtapositions of elements you might not find in Hollywood movies that get test-marketed until all the jarring bits have been sanded down. Beautifully shot and always fascinating, Rare Exports succeeds on many levels. But the final payoff just never seems to come. A bloody, but oddly entertaining, holiday ho-ho-horror story.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ December 20, 2015
Kinda fun, and kept me interested
½ December 19, 2015
151219: This well-made film challenged me intellectually. It is a dark, and sometime scary, tale of Santa and his elves and what happens when multinational corporations attempt to exploit the spirit of Christmas. Though I was not a big fan of the ending, I found it a bit silly, I enjoyed this film quite a bit but then had to do a whole bunch of reading trying to figure out what I had just watched. I have never tried to portray myself as an intellect but I think I'm coming to understand the alleged comedic nature of this film (I did not find myself laughing while watching). I'd love to hear what the writer was thinking in bringing this tale to life. Even with the English subtitles, this was a fun and unique film, satisfying my craving for something different this Christmas season.
½ December 17, 2015
A bizarre Christmas horror comedy that ranks among the best of its kind.
December 16, 2015
I think the great reviews of it spoilt it for me. Didn't find it particularly funny or scary. Two thumbs up for the concept and cast though.
December 13, 2015
Well, that's certainly a different kind of Santa and his little helpers!
December 7, 2015
One of the best Christmas horrors movies I have seen.
June 16, 2015
Offbeat is putting it mildly when describing this horror film about a group of finish reindeer herders who uncover the hidden burial plot of the heinous mythological creature known as Santa Claus. Santa becoming revived is one thing, but when his "elves" come to rescue him, things get really hairy. Wildly entertain and must see to be believed. Not for the kiddies though.
April 13, 2015
The wonderfully clever new nightmare before Christmas.
April 6, 2015
This is a straight to DVD kind of film. I was mistaken of thinking this was a horror movie. It's a Christmas movie with a fantasy spice. The final message is good but its also so stupid it made me laugh for the last 15mns..
February 27, 2015
An quiet unique atmospheric Christmas horror movie.
February 24, 2015
The only christmas movie I'll ever need. Edges away from horror more into comedy with a child main character. Action packed, well written, and the imagery is fantastic. Watch every year for the holidays.
½ February 23, 2015
An interesting premise is hampered by lackluster storytelling. There's just no pay-off in this movie. Skip it.
February 19, 2015
A completely original with a grisly twist on the origin of Santa Claus. Rare Exports is a black comedy and horror film that really takes time to build-up its creepiness with decent performance and a brilliant climax twist that guarantees itself a cult classic. There are barely any GORY scenes here so don't go in expecting that. The SCARE is build up quite well but it's still more of a tension than an actual scare here and it might turns some people off due to its slow-pacing but there's still some humors along the way as well. Overall, if you are looking for a unique horror film to watch on Christmas and not some gory cheesy slasher one then this film is definitely worth a try. [B]
January 21, 2015
This is hilarious, the slow burn Scandahovian cinema require some patience and a dry sense of humor. I especially like the silver lining export business at the end, waste not, want not. SKOL!
January 20, 2015
Horror y comedia en una historia sobre Santa.
January 9, 2015
An interesting take on the myth of Santa Claus and a refreshing one separate from the cheesy happy overweight Santa Claus everyone is used to seeing. A lot of fun with some tense moments. Some bad CGI moments though and I can't help but feel despite being good overall it went slightly mad at the end.