Reality - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reality Reviews

July 27, 2016
Garrone uses many elegant long takes and an evocative score to tell this fascinating, dream-like character study about a common fishmonger who gradually becomes obsessed with the idea of being famous - leading him to mix his yearnings with reality.
January 5, 2016
One of the best Italian films I've seen. I bet this is way too close to the bone of anyone across the world who "dream" of being a reality TV star. Thinking about some of them watching this is what I enjoyed most about this film. It's a funny situation and a very enjoyable film.
½ November 1, 2015
Sharp dark satire that provides insight into obsession of fame and the famous.
½ October 12, 2015
Sarcastic & thought-provoking.
½ May 29, 2015
Once again, I seem to be alone in my opinion on this film. I watched it again just to be sure I hadn't missed something. For me, this movie was just dull.
½ April 12, 2014
Matteo Garrone, the 2008 winner of the Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival for the excellent Gomorrah, transfers his ambitious directing style with hundreds of extras, dozens of characters and invigorating environments to bring something that might sound questionable at first glance: a comedy about a charismatic fish stand owner who agrees to audition for the next Big Brother show and, in the wait of his possible acceptance into the House, develops an increasing paranoia that begins to affect his own life, his family relationships and his acquaintances.

I'd never have the act of stereotyping as one of my intentions, but you know how the Italians are filmwise: intense dramatic overacting (which makes everything even more fun), complete families giving opinions actively about everything, a dynamic directing that moves the camera constantly here and there, towards every corner, because something is happening everywhere, all the time. Garrone is no exception to this approach of giving life to his little universe, and of portraying the complete family of the protagonist, which in this case, allows the entire plot to acquire a meaning.

It is very important to point out that the topic of obsession presented here is tragic, even if overused. Garrone's scope allows to take a conventional audience message to a higher level of entertainment, making the situations more absorbing and his paranoia more tangible, especially with his occasional use of complicated long shots. Unfortunately, he never found the balance between drama, tragedy, comedy and satire. At the end, however, it is a story worth remembering, with a big payoff at the end. Personally, the ending scared me.

April 5, 2014
Another masterpiece by Matteo Garrone (Gomorrah was the other one). Very interesting concept about a guy's obsession to transform his life and move away from his 'Reality'.

The interesting fact about the lead actor is that he is serving life sentence for a multiple murders in Naples and was allowed to shoot for the movie during the day!
½ February 12, 2014
Gli do 7/10 solo perché il film è ricercato nella fotografia e nei costumi e in generale si vede che c'è del talento artistico in chi lo ha realizzato; però ha anche delle pecche importanti.
Primo il regista che usa la telecamera a braccio (o almeno l'effetto è quello) e allo stesso tempo disegna molte scene quasi irreali e fiabesche (su tutte la scena del matrimonio), fatte di colori e abiti molto forti (es: la famiglia che va a cinecittà è vestita come "I Tenenbaum").
A mio avviso le due cose cozzano, la telecamera che si muove come se fosse una telecamera non professionale va bene per i film crudi e realisti (andava bene in Gomorra infatti), non per ricreare immagini perfette come quelle delle fiabe (dove ci vuole una fotografia più quadrata e pulita).
Inoltre il film vuole parlare di come ci si può ubriacare di successo (soprattutto quello effimero della televisione), però presenta una storia troppo strampalata per risultare credibile (e con poco mordente aggiungo io).
Il regista voleva portare qualcosa di innovativo e forte, però secondo me mancano proprio l'idea complessiva di come rappresentare questa storia (che poi è il lavoro del regista).
February 10, 2014
Dark comedy...Grande Fratello
½ November 22, 2013
Italian melodrama with high doses of comedy. Luciano is a Neapolitan fishmonger and part time scam artist that has a comfortable life with his wife Maria, their kids and his extended family. One day he decides to apply to be a contestant in the reality TV show, Big Brother and is well liked to the point where he suspects he might be chosen. The possibility to be famous dazes Luciano making him loose grip in his real problems, in his "reality". He becomes addicted to the program believing everybody around him are television producers spying on him.
This movie depicts a very common issue: the obsession for celebrities. Long gone are the days where kids wanted to be doctors or architects or firemen. Now everybody wants to be famous. Luciano is a man trying to spice up his ordinary life and is seduced by the easy money Big Brother's contestants seem to make and he falls hard for it. We are able to connect with him at the beginning of the film, an outgoing business man with the dream of becoming a housemate in the Big Brother's house but he then softly descends into delusion and finally madness. As spectators we slowly detach from him because he completely looses his common sense.
It is an original and interesting film full of dynamism, with powerful performances and dialogues, a believable plot and an underlying rejection of celebrity culture.
½ November 13, 2013
A critique of the society that is bewitched by the idiocy of the reality shows but told in a slow and boring way. Basically the movie keeps saying the same things in the same way for its entire duration.
November 9, 2013
Billed as a comedy, it is really anything but. The main character's obsession with making it on Reality TV starts a downward spiral that destroys his mostly stable life. He gives up his own reality in an attempt to achieve broader recognition and fame, but he loses both realities in the process.
½ October 5, 2013
Film sicuramente ben fatto e sicuramente rappresentativo di un mondo (quello italiano in generale, anche se qui viene rappresentato lo spaccato napoletano) che ormai si basa solo sull'apparire e non sull'essere. Il tentativo di avere quei famosi 15 minuti di celebrità "promessi" da Woody Allen è portato quindi all'estremo, e tutto quanto ci gira attorno è parimenti ingigantito. Devo tuttavia dire che non mi ha fatto impazzire, il voto è quindi un voto all'intento sociale e all'impegno nel creare qualcosa di originale.
September 14, 2013
A poor attempt to jump on the reality-show zeitgeist with a portrayal of one man's descent into delusion.
September 10, 2013
A fishmonger from Naples loses his grip on reality as he waits to hear back from his audition for the Italian version of the "Big Brother" TV show. Slow but rich, with layers of satire and allegory and great long tracking shots of glorious Naples.
½ September 9, 2013
Velmi uveritelny obraz sucastnej spolocnosti
August 29, 2013
a movie that's not one that tells you what to think or not .a very good Character study that makes you think about your dreams to be better than you are but how to not loess your self . could have been cut down but not at all a bad ride
August 27, 2013
Interesting parable about the overlapping place of religious worship and celebrity worship, and further drawing parallels between belief and delusion. Also a more lavishly mounted production than I'd expected, with some great-looking set pieces.
½ August 27, 2013
the natural answer to "Cinema Paradiso"