Red Lights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Lights Reviews

November 28, 2016
Unbelievable film. How did I miss it when it came out?
November 14, 2016
Sad to see a once great actor among a good cast dragged down to such a level of shite on display here.
Billed as a supernatural thriller this film is far from it, its boring, its slow its not worth watching at all.
By the time De Niro is flying about at the end all hope for this film is gone..
½ November 1, 2016
150713: I liked this film. A subtle, or not so subtle, scary movie. Personally, I've always believed in more and, well, this movie brings psychic abilities to question. I had a good time watching this film in an insomniatic state. Well worth the couple bucks I paid for it. Features some big stars and really put Elizabeth Olsen on the map for me.
October 22, 2016
Red Lights is a totally silly and underwhelming thriller starring Cillian Murphy and Sigourney Weaver as paranormal debunkers, who find themselves in a tangled web of mystery after a notorious psychic with a checkered past resurfaces in the public. Robert De Niro plays the psychic, Simon Silver and even he couldn't elevate this material giving a rather hokey performance that gets downright embarrassing by the end. It's written and directed by Rodrigo Cortés, who previously made the masterpiece, Buried, and he does a decent job building up the tension, but once the rug is pulled out, the ending is laughably preposterous and I was not on-board in the slightest. The film has a couple of neat twists, but I'm positive upon a re-watch the film will be filled with holes and would fall apart due to plot contrivances. It's not a bad film; the premise is neat and the mystery keeps you invested throughout, but that finale sank an already lofty ship and it becomes nothing more than wasted potential.
½ October 18, 2016
There's two distinct parts to the film offering up different directions and stimulus for the audience. It's a decent role for an ageing De Niro to take as well.
½ October 17, 2016
Driven by separate motivations, a mentor and her protégé take time out of their teaching schedule to expose fraudulent psychics and oracles. Suddenly a renowned clairvoyant resurfaces decades after his retirement compelling the protégé to uncover the truth about the man of the hour.

Robert De Niro, Sigourney Weaver and Cillian Murphy headline this suspense thriller and each delivers a strong performance especially Murphy as the protégé. De Niro is a class above the rest and is engaging as the resurgent psychic, Simon Silver while Weaver is solid.

Rodrigo Cortés' Red Lights keeps audiences glued throughout the film especially when some of the tricks of the psychic trade are revealed The intense build is gradual and consistent till the final climax where all is discovered only, it's a little bit of a let down. For a film that grips you as well as Red Lights did, you walk away slightly underwhelmed and a tad disappointed with the outcome. I'm not saying it's a bad movie but it's one of those movies that simply doesn't close adequately enough in my opinion. If you're looking for a decent suspense thriller, I wouldn't pass this up as it does the trick but it just wont win any awards.
October 2, 2016
Great story. Terrible movie. Disjointed, no suspense. Feels like a series of rehearsals compiled in chronological order, and released as a movie.
½ September 29, 2016
"Red Lights" has a good idea for a movie, good cast and all the text-book spooky spookinesses but it was still so very mediocre. The ending was a total 360 too, that shit just came out of nowhere and it didn't really help the movie.
½ September 3, 2016
This was a fairly interesting movie about trying to prove the supernatural as fake.
The story was good and the acting was even better.
August 28, 2016
Phenomenal movie. Shocking user rating. Not Marvel but marvelous.
½ August 1, 2016
Professor Margaret Matheson (Sigourney Weaver) and he assistant Tom Buckley (Cillian Murphy) have a very unique and interesting job. They travel the country trying to prove of disprove psychics, magician, paranormal researchers, and people in similar fields. They would like nothing more than to find the real thing, but so far, Matheson has only found one person she hasn't been able to prove is a fraud, and that's Simon Silver (Robert De Niro). She is terrified of the man, but he assistant doesn't know any better and wants to make a name for himself by going after the legendary medium. I am in utter disbelief that a film with a cast like this was direct-to-film, but all that aside, it's as good a story as you'll find on the big screen. What can you say about De Niro and Weaver that hasn't been said a million times before, but this film is almost like a passing of the torch, as Murphy got the majority of the air time. How'd he do, Cillian Murphy absolutely stole the show right out from under them, in what is easily his best performance to date. To be honest, this is one of those films I watched for the cast, I wasn't super interested in the story and at times it was painfully slow, but Red Lights has some downright creepy moments, and the ending will absolutely blow your mind. If you're the patient type who enjoys a great performance, this films for you, if not, you might want to skip this one, as it takes a while to get going, and gives you some things you really have to think about afterwards.
½ July 17, 2016
I came with the wind and I go with the wind.

A world renowned greatest psychic who happens to be blind comes out of years from the spot light to performing his public displays of physic powers and his ability to connect with the dead. A psychic who is beginning to think her craft doesn't really exist, and her assistant, work together to prove the blind psychic is a fraud.

"We can go forward with lies but we can never go back."

Rodrigo Cortes, director of The Contestant, The Buried, and the upcoming Down a Dark Hall, delivers Red Lights. The storyline for this picture is very similar to Now You See Me in several ways. This isn't as compelling as that picture or as well done. The story also isn't very well written and the cast delivers average performances. The cast includes Robert De Niro, Sigourney Weaver, Cillian Murphy, and Toby Jones.

"We might end up creating monsters."

I found this on Netflix and had never heard of it so I decided to add it to the queue. This was kind of a waste of time. It started well and felt like it had a little potential, but when it focused more on the behind the curtain aspects, it fell apart for me. I recommend skipping this.

"You will know the truth and the truth will make you furious."

Grade: D
July 16, 2016
Red Lights is a plodder of a film, which is neither mind blowing or that clever, but it does make for easy watching
June 26, 2016
a waste of skilled acting talent. Don't waste your viewing time on this inept script. High expectations, BIG disappointment. The actors should be embarrassed.
½ May 2, 2016
The preview and description made it seem like it was way better than it was. it wasn't awful, it was okay.
½ April 13, 2016
Quite decent entertainment!Great cast , good plot, very enjoyable.Kept me interested.
April 4, 2016
predictable from the get go, I called the ending twist about 10 mins in. it is very boring and shockingly Robert De Niro is just awful. this is the first time I have ever seen a bad performance from him.
March 28, 2016
A beautiful film with a lot of clever ideas. But, unfortunately, some people seek pure entertainment as they are not able to understand complicated pieces of art.
March 27, 2016
Watched this on Netflix, the first 45 minutes got me going, I was expecting two science detective trying to solve unsolvable misteries, and kind of reminded me of James Randi's work, for those who do not know Randi, he used to be a Magician who has dedicated most of his life dissaproving and uncovering frauds, but then Cillian Murphy's characters gets real wacky in the second half, much of the unexplained phenomena ocurring with De Niro cannot be explained, or why Murphy's characters gets into screwy situations, and then when all gets convoluted at the end, we get a plot twist, that is not necessarily bad, but it could have been done way better. It if was me the first half of the movie would have been 90% good, but the second half keeps doings mistakes mistakes mistakes until if falls of a cliff, too bad i really like Cillian Murphy as an actor and they wasted the talented Robert DeNiro;s time, not too mention, elizabeth olsen's was innecesary to the film at all.
½ February 11, 2016
"It was all a dream" would have been a better ending.