Red Lights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Lights Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
I came with the wind and I go with the wind.

A world renowned greatest psychic who happens to be blind comes out of years from the spot light to performing his public displays of physic powers and his ability to connect with the dead. A psychic who is beginning to think her craft doesn't really exist, and her assistant, work together to prove the blind psychic is a fraud.

"We can go forward with lies but we can never go back."

Rodrigo Cortes, director of The Contestant, The Buried, and the upcoming Down a Dark Hall, delivers Red Lights. The storyline for this picture is very similar to Now You See Me in several ways. This isn't as compelling as that picture or as well done. The story also isn't very well written and the cast delivers average performances. The cast includes Robert De Niro, Sigourney Weaver, Cillian Murphy, and Toby Jones.

"We might end up creating monsters."

I found this on Netflix and had never heard of it so I decided to add it to the queue. This was kind of a waste of time. It started well and felt like it had a little potential, but when it focused more on the behind the curtain aspects, it fell apart for me. I recommend skipping this.

"You will know the truth and the truth will make you furious."

Grade: D
July 16, 2016
Red Lights is a plodder of a film, which is neither mind blowing or that clever, but it does make for easy watching
June 26, 2016
a waste of skilled acting talent. Don't waste your viewing time on this inept script. High expectations, BIG disappointment. The actors should be embarrassed.
½ May 2, 2016
The preview and description made it seem like it was way better than it was. it wasn't awful, it was okay.
½ April 13, 2016
Quite decent entertainment!Great cast , good plot, very enjoyable.Kept me interested.
April 4, 2016
predictable from the get go, I called the ending twist about 10 mins in. it is very boring and shockingly Robert De Niro is just awful. this is the first time I have ever seen a bad performance from him.
March 28, 2016
A beautiful film with a lot of clever ideas. But, unfortunately, some people seek pure entertainment as they are not able to understand complicated pieces of art.
March 27, 2016
Watched this on Netflix, the first 45 minutes got me going, I was expecting two science detective trying to solve unsolvable misteries, and kind of reminded me of James Randi's work, for those who do not know Randi, he used to be a Magician who has dedicated most of his life dissaproving and uncovering frauds, but then Cillian Murphy's characters gets real wacky in the second half, much of the unexplained phenomena ocurring with De Niro cannot be explained, or why Murphy's characters gets into screwy situations, and then when all gets convoluted at the end, we get a plot twist, that is not necessarily bad, but it could have been done way better. It if was me the first half of the movie would have been 90% good, but the second half keeps doings mistakes mistakes mistakes until if falls of a cliff, too bad i really like Cillian Murphy as an actor and they wasted the talented Robert DeNiro;s time, not too mention, elizabeth olsen's was innecesary to the film at all.
½ February 11, 2016
"It was all a dream" would have been a better ending.
½ December 30, 2015
Starts off good but sadly loses momentum half way though the film....
½ December 2, 2015
The first weakness in this film that stood out was Murphy's over acting. There were several points in the film when his exuberance just didn't seem to find place, such as when Margaret died. There is no indication that Buckley is close to her nor that he is a rend garments, sack clothe and ashes kinda guy. Another major issue is the under-utilization of De Niro. There was nothing in his character that really pushed his natural talent. Dozens of lesser actors could have easily filled the role. Finally, from the outset the film lacks the energy and intrigue to capture the viewers attention. It just doesn't have the depth needed to draw the viewer in, mostly attributed to a plot that is limiting. Debunking psychics and such is not the thing of which epic films are made. Thin plot, odd directing choices, and uninteresting characters sinks this one from the outset.
October 24, 2015
It's a talented cast and a decent set up but Red Lights doesn't the pay off it promises with its main character focus shift in the second half and a twist ending that is a clever use of plot but a stretch to believe.
½ October 21, 2015
What an awful mess! Edited with a Lawn mower and possessing an " I don't care " feeling throughout! Terrible.
October 4, 2015
Really cool. I seriously enjoyed this film. Great acting by Murphy, De Niro, and especially Sigourney Weaver. Suspenseful and worth seeing. I really enjoyed this film's ending too.
September 16, 2015
Maybe more like a 5.75, which is unfortunate, because the movie kind of lost it at the end due to disjointed execution. It was a good idea and just needed some more tweaking.
August 27, 2015
I have yet to reach the end... but it has taken forever for this whole film to add up to anything. The cinematography works, as does the basic production design, but the story does not. The character arc completely threw me off, as Cilliam Murphy's character seemed to arc for absolutely no apparent reason. Even if the ending does wrap this whole thing up... the 1.5 hours to reach that point, were bad.
It's never a good sign, when you are already to grade something, before it's even finished. I've seen as much as I want to care about... and I am finishing this movie, just for the sake of finishing it... but I don't care about it's ending either way.
½ August 3, 2015
Red Lights features talented actors in a worthless film
½ July 13, 2015
2015/07/13: I liked this film. It's like a subtile, or not so subtile, scary movie. Personally, I've always believed in more and, well, this movie brings psychic abilities to question. I had a good time watching this film in an insomniatic state. Well worth the couple bucks I paid for it. Features some big stars and really put Elizabeth Olsen on the map for me.
July 6, 2015
Movie held my interest & really surprised at the end. Loved Cillian Murphy.