The Remains of the Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Remains of the Day Reviews

August 3, 2016
So the first time I attempted to watch The Remains of the Day, I kinda fell asleep. BUT it was the last movie at the end of my 'Emma Thompson Binge watch day' (I had watched Sense & Sensibility, Brideshead Revisited, Primary Colors & Howards End - all for the first time). So finally after about 6 years, I decided to finish Remains. So fucking glad I did. The performances, unsurprisingly, are amazing. Hopkins & Thompson are brilliant together. And it was just another movie/performance to remind me why Emma Thompson is my favorite actress. There's also one particular moment near the end of the film, that has to be either one of the saddest things I've ever seen in a movie or close to it. It kind of quietly rips your soul out, so heartbreaking. Loved this movie experience.
½ July 17, 2016
The most boring film of all time.
½ July 13, 2016
I re-watched this classic that I've always loved and found more in it than ever. It operates on so many levels--a character study of a man so introverted by the nature of his occupation that he cuts himself off from normal human emotions that he doesn't allow himself to show--grief at his father's death and love with a woman who loves him, that he lets go, because servants (and he is an impeccable servant) are not allowed to marry and stay in service. Then there is a view of a way of life on its way out--as we see being depicted in Downton Abbey and Gosford Park. There is also the tragedy of appeasement in the 1930s--letting Hitler have Czechoslovakia (where the Treaty of Versailles had set up literally tons of amor dumps, tanks and all kinds of war materiel, because Czechoslovakia was supposed to hold the line against German expansion in the future. Without all of those resources, Germany would not have been able to carry on such a European war as they did. He did not have the resources to launch a modern war before Czechoslovakia was handed to him on a plate, but afterwards with those arms and armament meant to hold him back as part of his arsenal, he was.) The personal tragedy of a nobleman who believed the lying Nazi officials, Even as they were noting (in German) which of his paintings the Fuhrer would want after England was conquered, just as the Nazis stole art all over Europe during WWII. Then there was the irony of the career American politician who called Stevens' nobleman employer "an amateur" and rightly pegged what a huge mistake Lord Darlington was making, taking over his country seat, lock, stock and barrel. And finally, the sadness that when the main characters, who love each other, come together again, they still cannot admit their love for each other and this time, the lie is the woman's fault, when she does not admit that she is separated from her husband. Bothe have allowed pride and the good manners of a good servant to get in the way of what they most desire. At the end is that wonderful bit of symbolism, the bird that was trapped in the chimney escaping in flight out of the window, as life will soon be leaving Darlington Hall, the symbolism of a dead way of life that will as the decades go on, probably become a museum of what was and is no longer.
May 1, 2016
Made me want to slit my wrists. A meaningless droll story who's only redeeming quality is to not put work before all other things in life.
½ April 30, 2016
Such a beautiful film! Sir Anthony Hopkins is a maestro.
April 11, 2016
The Remains of the Day has such a good subject matter with very important themes and Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson are both great in it, but the film is unfortunately such a disappointing, overrated mess with an excruciatingly slow pace, very cold tone and a bad approach with the dialogue being very disappointing. It never explored its themes properly and it is above all such an immensely dull movie to watch.
April 3, 2016
as much dreary english melodrama as you need in a lifetime. i can't imagine how big the budget was to make this thing.
March 22, 2016
Wonderful movie. Great acting, story, characters and moving ending.
March 11, 2016
The Remains of the Day is an excellent film. It is about a butler who sacrificed body and soul to service in the years leading up to World War II. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. James Ivory did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Remains of the Day is a must see.
March 8, 2016
A Great English drama. A bit politicized, but great.
January 14, 2016
One of the greatest movies of all time! Truly masterpiece.
December 28, 2015
I really enjoyed this when I first saw it when it came out, but appreciated it even more this time. It's a great story, expertly told and superbly acted. Hopkins should have won another Oscar for this, and Thompson could've as well. Cinematography and score are also top-notch. Loved it.
½ September 4, 2015
A painful story of unspoken truths and willful ignorance couched in introverted stateliness, The Remains of the Day is a subtle, reserved look into the consequences of British social norms with a surprisingly emotional ending that is both unexpected and poignant in its effectiveness.
½ August 29, 2015
Two actors which I rate really highly but this was a little bit dull. Better than I expected, as I've never been a fan of period dramas, but a bit over-rated in my opinion.
August 24, 2015
The book is a tall order to film and it is mostly pulled off here but the ending lacks the punch of the novel which really is what makes this kind of story. Too bad.
August 23, 2015
Este era el tipo de cine que no me interesaba cuando era jovencito, y ahora mismo me apasiona y maravilla.

Los temas tratados son escalofriantes, la narración es irresistible, el entorno un marco perfecto... solo le echo en falta un final más chocante, a los puentes de Madison...

Una gran prueba de que, aunque no es fácil y necesitas un muy buen libro en que basarte, puedes hacer una obra hermosa, memorable, entretenida y muy disfrutable.
June 8, 2015
Top period drama with Hopkins as the butler who is unable to break free of his stiff upper lip to tell Emma Thompson that he loves her.
½ April 8, 2015
Howard's End and now this........I'm not worthy of such smart and interesting,well acted movies.
February 3, 2015
A rather sad story of a man who can't bear to break his public persona and actually connect to another human being. The Nazi sympathizer part of the story feels like it should be an unnecessary subplot but somehow adds to the feeling of wasted promise.
December 30, 2014
While it's beautiful to look at and very well written, with an excellent performance from Emma Thompson, the main issue with Remains of the day is the poor sense of time progression, which fails to give me a sense for the nature of these characters' relationships or care for how they turn out.