The Remains of the Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Remains of the Day Reviews

October 7, 2017
Starts saying nothing. Ends saying less! No story, no plot, no emotion, no drama...Mr Spock meets Rain man character! A real Oscar winner!
½ October 3, 2017
A brilliant advise to use life without none of addictions, All in all a perfect movie.
August 25, 2017
A 'very good' movie is transformed to 'excellent' largely because of Sir Anthony Hopkins, whose devotion to the minutiae of being a butler, particularly in the unswerving, unthinking nature of his service, is tough to watch. The final moments of the film offer a surprising kind of twist; that the Remains Of The Day is in fact not a drama so much as a tragedy. Extremely well done.
July 29, 2017
Fascinating and well-crafted film about interesting period of the 30's of the 20th century, the pre-Hitler period, about its delusions, mistakes and relationships. It tells the story of a devoted butler who serves his master and is absolutely absorbed in his work. He doesn't pay attention nor does he doubt his master's actions and political views.
Anthony Hopkins's performance is mesmerizing and fascinating to watch.
July 20, 2017
The feeling of almost has never been so well executed, the feeling of just do it god damnit rips your heart out-- and that's a great feeling to have when watching a movie.
June 20, 2017
It is the late-1950s and, due to the death of Lord Darlington, Darlington Hall has just been bought by Jack Lewis, an American. On the staff of the hall is the head butler, James Stevens. Through his eyes we see the what took place in the hall over the last 25 or so years, including the lead-up to World War 2, Stevens' undying devotion to his job and master and his relationship with the housekeeper, Miss Kenton.

Wonderfully engaging, interesting and moving movie. The main plot is essentially the story of one man, Stevens, and his devotion to his job. Anthony Hopkins is superb as Stevens, capturing well the robot-like blinkeredness of a butler who believes duty, dedication and dignity are everything, at the expense of feelings and expression.

Around Stevens are spun a few other stories, making the movie quite multi-faceted. Among these, there's the history of the household, and Lord Darlington especially.

We have the build-up to WW2, showing just how it developed, and how many were sucked into appeasing Germany in the lead-up to it.

Then there's the relationship between Stevens and Miss Kenton, which provides some of the most emotional parts of the movie. It also provides some great "what if?" moments.

Nominated for eight Oscars in 1994, including Best Film, Best Director for James Ivory, Best Leading Actor for Anthony Hopkins and Best Leading Actress for Emma Thompson, unfortunately The Remains Of The Day did not win in any category.
February 11, 2017
The Remains of the Day is a witty, stylish and appealing drama raised by mesmerizing performances from Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson as well as Merchant-Ivory's assured colaboration.
January 26, 2017
Basado en la novela de Kazuo Ishiguro, escritor de origen japonés, pero podemos considerarlo británico. Cuenta una historia post Primera Guerra y pre Segunda Guerra, donde un mayordomo, Stevens, interpretado por el gran Anthony Hopkins maneja a la perfección el ir y venir de la mansión Darlington donde se discuten los destinos de las potencias europeas. En este ambiente empieza a surgir la Alemania Nazi con la venia de algunos poderosos ingleses que no alcanzan a entender la magnitud de lo que acontece. En eso, la historia personal de Stevens se entrecruza, procurando siempre guardar la compostura y servir con excelencia, su rol de mayordomo supera al de hombre y pese a estar enamorado de la señorita Kenton (Emma Thompson), quien también se enamora de él, se aferra tanto a su papel de mayordomo que no aprovechará la oportunidad de vivir su vida.
August 3, 2016
So the first time I attempted to watch The Remains of the Day, I kinda fell asleep. BUT it was the last movie at the end of my 'Emma Thompson Binge watch day' (I had watched Sense & Sensibility, Brideshead Revisited, Primary Colors & Howards End - all for the first time). So finally after about 6 years, I decided to finish Remains. So fucking glad I did. The performances, unsurprisingly, are amazing. Hopkins & Thompson are brilliant together. And it was just another movie/performance to remind me why Emma Thompson is my favorite actress. There's also one particular moment near the end of the film, that has to be either one of the saddest things I've ever seen in a movie or close to it. It kind of quietly rips your soul out, so heartbreaking. Loved this movie experience.
½ July 17, 2016
The most boring film of all time.
½ July 13, 2016
I re-watched this classic that I've always loved and found more in it than ever. It operates on so many levels--a character study of a man so introverted by the nature of his occupation that he cuts himself off from normal human emotions that he doesn't allow himself to show--grief at his father's death and love with a woman who loves him, that he lets go, because servants (and he is an impeccable servant) are not allowed to marry and stay in service. Then there is a view of a way of life on its way out--as we see being depicted in Downton Abbey and Gosford Park. There is also the tragedy of appeasement in the 1930s--letting Hitler have Czechoslovakia (where the Treaty of Versailles had set up literally tons of amor dumps, tanks and all kinds of war materiel, because Czechoslovakia was supposed to hold the line against German expansion in the future. Without all of those resources, Germany would not have been able to carry on such a European war as they did. He did not have the resources to launch a modern war before Czechoslovakia was handed to him on a plate, but afterwards with those arms and armament meant to hold him back as part of his arsenal, he was.) The personal tragedy of a nobleman who believed the lying Nazi officials, Even as they were noting (in German) which of his paintings the Fuhrer would want after England was conquered, just as the Nazis stole art all over Europe during WWII. Then there was the irony of the career American politician who called Stevens' nobleman employer "an amateur" and rightly pegged what a huge mistake Lord Darlington was making, taking over his country seat, lock, stock and barrel. And finally, the sadness that when the main characters, who love each other, come together again, they still cannot admit their love for each other and this time, the lie is the woman's fault, when she does not admit that she is separated from her husband. Bothe have allowed pride and the good manners of a good servant to get in the way of what they most desire. At the end is that wonderful bit of symbolism, the bird that was trapped in the chimney escaping in flight out of the window, as life will soon be leaving Darlington Hall, the symbolism of a dead way of life that will as the decades go on, probably become a museum of what was and is no longer.
May 1, 2016
Made me want to slit my wrists. A meaningless droll story who's only redeeming quality is to not put work before all other things in life.
½ April 30, 2016
Such a beautiful film! Sir Anthony Hopkins is a maestro.
April 11, 2016
The Remains of the Day has such a good subject matter with very important themes and Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson are both great in it, but the film is unfortunately such a disappointing, overrated mess with an excruciatingly slow pace, very cold tone and a bad approach with the dialogue being very disappointing. It never explored its themes properly and it is above all such an immensely dull movie to watch.
April 3, 2016
as much dreary english melodrama as you need in a lifetime. i can't imagine how big the budget was to make this thing.
March 22, 2016
Wonderful movie. Great acting, story, characters and moving ending.
March 11, 2016
The Remains of the Day is an excellent film. It is about a butler who sacrificed body and soul to service in the years leading up to World War II. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. James Ivory did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Remains of the Day is a must see.
March 8, 2016
A Great English drama. A bit politicized, but great.
January 14, 2016
One of the greatest movies of all time! Truly masterpiece.
December 28, 2015
I really enjoyed this when I first saw it when it came out, but appreciated it even more this time. It's a great story, expertly told and superbly acted. Hopkins should have won another Oscar for this, and Thompson could've as well. Cinematography and score are also top-notch. Loved it.