Renoir - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Renoir Reviews

July 30, 2017
If it's shot in the south of France it's worth a look, like Cotillard & Crowe in "A Good Year" - because things are atmospheric & inviting for a couple of hours with a good cup of Arabica java or a Dubonnet. No exception here in what purports to be a near end-of-life docudrama on the beloved painter. Beautifully realized in French (subtitled), it's interesting. But like cognac & chocolates it's best savored at one's leisure, breeze through the leaves. Everyone is nicely cast, especially Christa, a tempestuous beauty revealed a few times in birthday glory. So, the film's right for some - with a Desplat soundtrack (good) - but definitely not for the Marvel crowd even tho' some of those are enjoyed by this correspondent, too. (Note: The french is spoken so fast that the subtitles also move quickly. So, to let the eye linger on the beautiful scenes, it's necessary to back-up 10 or 20-secs rather frequently.)
March 8, 2016
Crap. Total utter crap. Such a let down.
November 28, 2015
A beautiful film. I loved it, from start to finish. Slow, lush, and witty, with some nice quotes to chew over. While I see most men didnt like Vincent Rottiers performance as Jean, I thought he was luminous. But all the performaces were great. I saw Renoir ( the painter) in a new light...and am intrigued to see Jean Renoir's films now. A gem.
½ October 28, 2015
More early 20th Century artists' tales, but unlike 'Summer in February' which we recently saw, this one is art. I'm sure that Auguste and Jean would have enjoyed watching it. It's sumptuous, and doesn't rely on telling a factual story. Lots of nudity and emotion. Gorgeous.
October 27, 2015
With its warm colors and sweet streams of light, its love of both the countryside and the human form, it makes you dream of painting. Or making movies. Or just luxuriating.
½ June 23, 2015
Masterfully atmospheric.
June 11, 2015
What a beautiful film to see this morning! It's French with English subtitles and well done. Worth the read. Understated romance and pleasant beauty.
May 10, 2015
A beautiful film shot with all the colour and precision of a painting. The film takes you in to the artist's world and allows you to see the person who creates the painting.
May 3, 2015
It's a beautifully shot film reflecting the fine uplifting works the artist himself painted. Behind this there's a angst story revolving around the family which although provides a decent narrative, never excels.
April 29, 2015
Absolutely brilliant and wonderfully pituresque
March 6, 2015
A lavish treat for the eye. If you have traveled Renoir's France this is the film for you.
January 29, 2015
Not what I expected. Was it about the artist? About his last model? No. It was about his son, who might be more famous than his dad. Wow. Great story.
½ January 5, 2015
Fotography and use of colour are the most interesting point from this movie. Between 2.5 and 3.
December 27, 2014
A hidden gem with some captivating performances. I am hopefully to see more of many of the cast of this film.
½ August 22, 2014
Good historical movie, sweet and sad about the artist
June 19, 2014
Beautiful background music and rich painting like locale and people along with a strong anti-war message, but the movie is a slow one. Need patience to enjoy its beauty.
June 14, 2014
Una hermosa película en lo estético y visual. Su guión, pese a su simpleza, es muy interesante. Sin embargo, hay algo que le falta a esta película para trascender. Quizás centrarse más en Renoir padre, pues calládamente se transforma en una película del hijo Jean. Buena música de Desplat que lamentablemente no fue lanzada comercialmente.
½ May 27, 2014
A beautifully made film. Nicely put together and the cinematography was spot on.
½ May 11, 2014
Beautifully shot, laconic and atmospheric, Renoir is a surprisingly fascinating look into the later life of the famed painter and his family. It's not at all what I expected it to be. I found it easy to escape into this world and just experience each of the characters. Strong performances from the entire cast.
March 30, 2014
Beautiful film .French do it best!