Resident Evil: Afterlife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Afterlife Reviews

October 12, 2016
One of my favs of the series second best
August 23, 2016
Ok it's starting to really lose it's luster. First, how is that black guy still alive? Then when you think you've cut off the head of the devil more trouble is on the way. Anyways, not really that great and borrowed some of the dodging bullet effects from the matrix which I didn't have a problem with but really didn't make the story better.
August 15, 2016
Afterlife is the best one yet.
½ August 11, 2016
An improvement over Resident Evil: Extinction, even though the script is abysmal and the special effects aren't the best.
½ July 30, 2016
Loved it, Took allot from Resident Evil 5 game and added more to it, A little darker than the rest which wasn't a bad thing, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version but I think it would of been good in parts with the 3D, Full of action and great effects and fans of the film series and games will love it.
July 6, 2016
At this point we have to wonder if we will ever see the end to this saga ; as we see more of the same ole same ole in Resident Evil Afterlife. But I suppose there is a market for this type of film and part of the allure is, the continued storyline. 2 stars
July 6, 2016
I want to see, obviously.
June 14, 2016
About as mindless, generic, and stupid as you can get. Its so stupid it almost seems like a bloody action movie for kids. As the Resident Evil movies go on they get worse and drift further from the source material. The critics consensus nails it. RE: Afterlife is brainless. I could go into detail but why even bother when the filmmakers didn't put much thought into the movie? Its pretty pathetic actually. Slow motion stupidness to aid Milla's fading athleticism.... Sad.
½ May 20, 2016
Classic Resident Evil movie! I really do love all the movies for different reasons so I can't say which one is better, although I love the emptiness and eerie feeling of the original Resident Evil with the creepy Manson loop chorus, the rest of the films focus more on action and effects. Each move continues right after the previous one, you start out with all the Alice's that were cloned underground in Tokyo.

Overall this is my favourite franchise of many series from this generation (Example Saw), they have kept them strong and made it past the curse of the third movie which either makes it or breaks it, and the third Resident Evil was great!

So Afterlife of course Ali Larter is back as Claire Redfield! Your introduced to her brother Chris Redfield (Wentworth Miller) who has a huge role in Resident Evil 4 the video game. I would have liked to see a bit more of him though, maybe in Resident Evil 5 they will give him a bigger role. K-Mart is around too again in this one.

The 3D was great, made it even better, perfect suit for a Resident Evil movie! YES the dogs are back but more fucked up than ever!!!!! LOL The big monster that carried a huge spiked axe reminded me of Silent Hill though, I don't remember it being in any video games or am I wrong? Of course your left wanting more as they no surprise leave it wide open for a Resident Evil 5. You see a cameo by Jill Valentine!!!! I always wondered where the hell she went after Resident Evil 2!!! I wont say what the cameo is about cause i don't wanna ruin things but just watch a bit longer after the credits role at the end.
May 14, 2016
The empty script is filled with good action sequences and eye-catching visuals.
½ May 12, 2016
There's definitely a "dumb fun" vibe to most of the movie, that is until it turns into a cheap rip-off of The Matrix.
½ March 8, 2016
What is going on?! should be the subtext of this film. Nothing makes absolutely sense. If you watch this movie your brain might hurt if try to think about the plot.
½ March 2, 2016
Completely pointless, and broken! Not even the first one is enough to recommend!
½ March 1, 2016
Based on the wildly popular video game series, Resident Evil: Afterlife is the fourth (and critically hailed best) installment to the franchise. With the aid of 3D, the world ravaged by viral infection and the undead is brought into the realm of frightening real.

To get you up to speed basic Resident Evil film mythology is as follows; RE1 - Alice (Milla Jovovich) a woman working as a security operative for the evil Umbrella Corporation, awakes in a strange place, only to be confronted with an out-of control supercomputer with a god complex and an underground lab full of infected scientists turned flesh-eating zombies.

RE2 - As the T-Virus breaks out onto-the-streets of Raccoon City, Alice is one of the few survivors. Released as a test subject to match the power of Umbrella's new experimental Nemesis, the now in enhanced Alice realises she has more than the average human ability to fight and survive; telekinesis, a pupil dilation force-field blast, and a unique form of internal brain computer hacking aids in her perpetual survival.

RE3 - The T-Virus has now consumed the planet and Alice on a solo mission stays under the radar of the Umbrella Corporation scouring the Nevada desert trying to help people. Teaming up with a convoy of survivors, hope for a safe place from infection is promised in Alaska. In RE3 it is revealed that he Umbrella Corporation has made thousands of clones from Alice using the DNA they took from her in RE2.

In Resident Evil 4, as zombies dominate the post-apocalyptic landscape, Alice along with her clones carry out a mission to destroy the evil Umbrella Corporation's subterranean Tokyo lair and take down her arch-enemy and chairman of the company, Wesker (Shawn Roberts).

After seemingly destroying the Umbrella Corporations base of operations, Alice sets out to find the safe haven in Alaska and meet up with her friends from RE3. However, Wesker is not so easily disposed of and whilst en route Alice is ambushed and injected with an anti-viral serum stripping her of the superhuman powers.

Arriving in the Alaskan wilderness, she finds old comrade Claire (Ali Later) but she is alone and suffering memory loss. Together they head for the devastated city of LA, where they discover a small group, bailed up in the city jail surrounded by a teeming horde of the undead.

In a perilous trap with no way out, issues inside the prison, and a new unknown creature (to the series) attempting to get in, Can the now human Alice get out of this one?

The answer (spoiler alert!) is yes. In a distractingly obvious way, returning writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson (who was only producer/writer for installments two and three) has blatantly left the ending beyond-wide-open for episode five.

After turning the franchise 3D to boast ratings, it would have been beneficial to leave the plot waning series on this high note, however the lure of ravenous zombies and disposable supporting actors is obviously just to much to let this one die a peaceful death.

Surprisingly easier on the gore; Resident Evil 4 tries to inject a little humanism into its inhuman video-game based foundations. Milla's now human Alice is wisely rendered even more vulnerable and relatable as she keeps a heartfelt video-blog journal of her lonely expedition. Whilst Ali's Claire gets an emotional boost as among the minimal survivors she finds her brother Chris (Wentworth Miller).

The Verdict: Even as the world continues to devour its self and your stuck in an LA maximum security prison, there seems always to be time for perfect hair and rockin' lipstick. How can you really be afraid of something so removed from reality? (said the woman who almost has a heart attack...)

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 22/10/2010
February 20, 2016
Another instalment to the resident evil film series, this film introduces classic video game characters such as chris redfield and the executioner as seen in resident evil 5. This film hardly follows the games but look past that and you have a pretty decent zombie series on your hands. Constant new bio weapons courtesy of umbrella corporation sees constant new monsters and zombies. Entertaining stuff.
February 13, 2016
Sometimes boring, but mostly stupid.
February 9, 2016
I love Alice.... can't wait for the action.
February 6, 2016
Resident Evil: Afterlife Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, the fourth film of the series was shot in stunning 3D. We join Alice on her search for survivors after the deadly T-Virus outbreak. It was short and thrilling, Milla Jovovich brings another great performance. The action scenes were fine and fun especially in 3D, I do think it lacked somewhat in story and execution. We also added a new character Chris Redfield (for those who don't know he is a main character of the popular game franchise.) I think it was a huge mistake to add him in the story halfway through, it makes no sense and the fans of the games do not enjoy it. Overall it was okay but had problems.
January 12, 2016
Paul W.S. Anderson comes back to the director chair for Resident Evil Afterlife, and boy is it a step down from Extinction. The good stuff are still in there like the action scenes and the effects, well at least some of them that is. The movie actually tried to give off some character development in it, but it did such a poor job on it that I really think that they should've tried harder on it. The acting is not as good as Apocalypse or Extinction, and at times, Milla Jovovich sounds like she has a sore throat. The plot is useless and just as convenient as ever, and I didn't care about the characters even if they put some character development in them. Paul W.S. Anderson put in some slow motion scenes in it which would've been fine, if he didn't overuse it so much. The soundtrack by tomandandy isn't as great as Charlie Clouser's score for Extinction, but the score is still a bit cool to listen to. It's predictable, and it's not as fun to watch as the previous films, in fact, it can be sometimes boring to watch which is the worst thing to say about a film. I wouldn't say that Resident Evil Afterlife is bad as an action zombie movie, but it's very average and it's either in the same leagues, or is actually worse, as the first movie.
½ October 14, 2015
We all think enough is enough at some point, and now that is the general feeling around Resident Evil. I know I know, why it couldn't have ended after one movie but to be fair it stuck to itself and did what it wanted to do, sure the movies are terribly written and directed but, well OK that isn't acceptable at all. This was a series that had room to improve, all it had to do was make it less bat-s*** crazy and try to make it feel more personal and less obsessed with stupid things when all it had to do was make it alright. The man, who produces, writes and directs this is Paul W.S Anderson who is now for me nearly at a point of no return, where even if he makes something good, this will be on his back forever.

Now maybe my introduction seems a little harsh I mean after all this is what it says on the tin, big action, more zombies than seen before and an actual kind of interesting plot(emphasising kind of). We see Alice searching and looking for the place where survivors may be, she flies around everywhere in this plane and even lands it in impossible places. The plot is hard not to ruin because straight away it jumps right into it and that I can respect, but my main problem is not with the plot, it's with the technical decisions. Anderson manages to blast out this movie that's scenes are chosen horribly, it feels Anderson somehow destroys his own script and after it is all over you just feel some opportunities were missed.

A problem I have always felt with this franchise is that it goes too big scale, it can't settle for street to street zombie fighting with normal guns and never feels like the characters do what actual people would do in that crazy situation. It builds Umbrella as this corporation that just has too much money, I mean it builds huge underground complexes which seem to figure in every movie and make it even more insane. The villain of this movie is just so badly created that it just seems stupid to have made that character, the person just seems to be straight from the video game which this uses too much from, and then the movie feels OTT.

Can Resident Evil ever get any better is the question on my lips, on this it cannot and this is the first one so far I have actually found bad and not just another poor movie. It doesn't try and that is what I can't respect, it's not like this movie isn't worth a watch but it certainly isn't one I would recommend to many, fans of the series maybe and I know people who love action movies will also enjoy it, but even some will find this an overuse of special effects and one movie that ruins this series even more so.

So Resident Evil marches on earning money from a very disappointing attempt and I feel there is a lot of this kind of thing left to come in the future. Whether Anderson feels this is going somewhere is really a hard thing to work out, it rakes in money but critically they are smashed, it's like a moral film question, do you keep on making bad movies if a lot of people don't like them?, my answer is actually to keep on going, but improve your craft and don't keep going at the same old stuff that you've been doing for years.