Resident Evil: Afterlife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Afterlife Reviews

May 29, 2017
I liked it. I thought the characters and story arc were interesting, which hasn't been the case for most movies in the franchise. The antagonist were pretty bland though, and the matrix references didn't work so well. But in all, I honestly thought the interaction between the characters were the most interesting thing in the movie. Somehow it caught the mood from the Romero movies. Had they had less action sequences and developed the characters some more, you could almost have ended up with something? rewarding.
May 26, 2017
Very cool movie it's very good movie based on the video game
May 26, 2017
Exageros recorrentes (C) base das cenas de ação. Tudo no filme (C) difícil de acreditar, inclusive que aja publico para ver isso.
April 26, 2017
Yet another terrible Resident Evil movie, Resident Evil Afterlife is unnecessary and outrageous where it becomes unintentionally funny.
April 13, 2017
It's like watching somebody else play through a really bad video game. There are some laugh-out-loud terrible moments here, but you'll be bored to tears in between those scenes.
March 17, 2017
Being my introduction to zombie movies when I was 13 years old (for the better or for the worse), this movie has a special place in my heart and I think it has its moments.
½ March 5, 2017
Completely pointless, and broken! Not even the first one is enough to recommend!
½ February 18, 2017
Wesker cool, good effects, not as good when I first saw
February 13, 2017
I may actually go to the movies to see this
½ February 12, 2017
It's official, folks. We are unabashedly, joyfully off the rails. Anderson knows it; Jovovich knows it; we all know it.
½ February 10, 2017
Hilarious, utter schlock. The most entertaining, nonsensical film, I have seen. Other than The Phantom Menace
February 7, 2017
W: 1. Continuation of the story. Some parts I like, some make it seem like a cartoon/anime turned movie.
February 4, 2017
They call these films video game adaptations for a reason. They are meant to be adaptations and not just another installation into that franchise. 'Afterlife' feels way more like video game on screen than it does a film by itself.

The film begins with CGI filled action sequenced that is flooded with unnecessary slow motion camera work. It's filmed in 3D, so I guess Paul W.S. Anderson was really wanted to exploit that version of the medium and give the audience it's most visceral film to date in the franchise. While there are some moments of brilliant B-movie fun, 'Afterlife' is just more of the same. And sadly it feels like some scenes are ripped right from the video games without any extra CGI or effects done.

As if you weren't already tired of the Umbrella Corp being at the forefront of each and every one of these films, they once again make their unwelcomed presence felt. Minus Dr. Isaacs and now adding pretty much the exact same character in Albert Wesker, the Umbrella Corp doesn't do anything they haven't already done in the series. Seriously, in every film Umbrella spies on Alice & company, attempt to take her down, and have a big confrontation towards the end. Besides a rotating supporting cast, the films are all structured the same way. There's a real lack of creativity here.

There's one clear reason why these films are made. Money. The filmmakers know how to produce these features and get people to spend their hard-earned cash on them. I enjoy a silly action adventure as much as the next guy, but there needs to be a little more effort put forth before I can actually certify these as guilty pleasure movies. As of now, they're mindless blood & guts action-horror films. However, the way this movie ends got me undeniably a little bit excited to sit down and watch the next one.

+Some fun action scenes

-But mostly too CGI filled for my liking

-Same old story over and over again

4.5/10
jamrcla
January 31, 2017
A good entry to the Resident Evil films with some very good action scenes that would of been better without all the stunt wire works and silly parts added in for the hell of it, The story was ok but full of plot holes (Yet again) and silly mistakes which made Afterlife feel very rushed at times, The effects were so much better in this one and I bet in 3D this film would of been very good but I only saw the 2D version, A few more of Resident Evil faces/creatures show up, We see Wesker in action this time, We Finally get to see Chris Redfield, And for no explained reason we have the Majini zombies from the Resident Evil 5 game instead of normal zombies we also have a Executioner Majini too which was pretty badass but underused, The whole film had a Dawn Of The Dead vibe to it and I tried my best to enjoy the ending action scenes but the fight between Wesker, Chris and Claire was a frame by frame live action version of the fight from Resident Evil 5 the game, Also the beginning scene which could of been way better was silly and rushed, But I'm a big fan of the films and I did enjoy it but just wish they took their time more, If you liked Resident Evil 5 the game or the first 3 films you will/should love this.
½ January 28, 2017
Things really start to get kind of ridiculous with Afterlife. It pretty much completely takes its own route and leaves Resident Evil behind and becomes a shoot em up, Matrix rip off with one bad ass creature. The outrageous number of slow-mo crap in this film was so annoying. Every 5-10 minutes, slow-mo. There's no substance to the story either which suuuuuuuucked. Not to mention the laughable PlayStation 2 graphics
½ January 28, 2017
Arguably the best in the franchise, though that's not saying much, this fourth installment in the franchise shows a little more interest in its plot and characters. However, the characters it tries to focus on are more lifeless than the zombies in the film. Also, most of the plot is pretty pointless or stretched. Lastly, it still goes, go here, fight zombies, go there, fight zombies.
January 28, 2017
1/23/2017: Pretty disappointing. Milla was great, but the story and writing wasn't great. This is easily the worst one of the series.
½ January 24, 2017
The fourth film in this series of bad choices is one of the worst films ever made. Bad acting, atrocious writing, terrible direction, nonsensical storytelling, and derivative characters are only a handful of problems with Afterlife.
Grade: F-
January 17, 2017
More or less the same as the other sequels probably more blood and guts than previous movies
January 15, 2017
Not for me, but it does it what it needs to, to keep the story going for fans