Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Reviews

June 22, 2017
in this movie you learn that everything you knew about the story was wrong.

The action is alright I enjoyed it but the jump cuts happened too much and could possibly make people get a headache.

The characters are ok but no Leon like the last movie made you think would think he would be in this movie Albert wesker is back and he killed in the most lame way.
½ June 21, 2017
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is directed and written by Paul W. S. Anderson, and it stars Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Shawn Roberts, and Iain Glen in a science fiction action about Alice (Milla Jovovich) going to Raccoon City to find the anti-virus before the time runs out which kills all of mankind. I'm not really a fan of the film series as it has barely anything that's like the video game series, and as a whole film series in itself, I only liked the films that Paul W. S. Anderson didn't direct, even though he wrote the entire series. So with this being one of the best reviewed film of the series, even though that's not saying much, I was curious about why it's so, although I did get skeptical about the film as Chris Stuckmann hated it so much, and so did Jeremy Jahns. So now that I finally got to see this movie, I can say that with all 6 of these films, that Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is the absolute worst one of the series, and is the worst ending film to a series that I probably have ever seen. The acting is mediocre at the very best, with Milla Jovovich acting like her typical self in almost all of the Resident Evil films whether you like that type of acting or not, although Iain Glen is having fun in this, which wouldn't matter if he's good in this or not. The plot is nonsensical in this, and it feels like they are just making stuff up to progress the film up and make it longer. The characters are forgettable, and the only development that there was, was Alice and the villain based on his motivation. The problem being however, the motivation is very confusing and it doesn't make any sense, and for Alice, it was only because of the twist which would've been effective, if I actually cared about this character, especially the ending where it's getting closure to her character, and it pretty much felt forced. The effects would've been fine to look at or the make-up effects, but I couldn't see it because the editing is the worst that I've seen in any film as it kept doing so many jump cuts that I couldn't see what is going on from the action scenes, and it made me so frustrated at that, no action scene should be like that ever again. The movie doesn't explain what happened to the other characters that were in previous films, which we just have to assume about it. The jumpscares in this are multiplied by 12 in this than the other films, and it's so annoying and loud that I believe that it's trying to cure my fear of jumpscares so that I can become numb to them and not be scared of this film, especially when there are false ones too. Everybody does a lot of dumb things that got expendable characters killed that you don't know their names, and it waste an opportunity to create chemistry between Claire and her boyfriend and it introduced them as a couple, but not do anything with that other then say that they're a couple. There's only one aspect that I liked, and it's when Alice get's knocked out, there were some visions or hallucinations that she was dreaming of, and it had a nice effect to it that make sense of the jump cuts that it has, but it only lasted for a few seconds in this 106 minute film. That aspect and Iain Glen's performance is not even close to make the film better than average, and I'm so glad to be done with the film series.
June 21, 2017
I would say that my expectations for this movie was pretty much spot on. I expected a visual action feast with a fair amount of gore in it and that is pretty much what I got. Things like a well developed script and stuff like that, well obviously the producer thought asking for such things would be nitpicking.

It currently holds a 5.6 rating at IMDb and 60% user score on TMDb which is fairly well deserved. Of course there are always reviewers giving it single star ratings and saying it is the worst film ever. That is just bullshit. These people have obviously never seen a really bad movie.

Milla Jovovich is again playing the hot zombie killing chick from the previous movies and although she tragically lost her superior T-virus strength in one of the previous installments her capacity for dealing death and mayhem as well as absorbing hits still borders on being super hero stuff. Unrealistic but fun to watch.

Despite my comments on the script earlier there is actually one with a paper thin thread intended just to bring the story from point A to B with a maximum of violence and special effects in between. I do think the tanks that they had cooked up looked cool although they were just visual candy a'la Mad Max. I mean come one, a tank with ventilation shafts all over the place so all you had to do was pour some gazoline over it and light a match? Stupid to say the least.

There were a few other things was more designed for looks than realism. For instance a certain ventilation fan that were used to drag out some of the events. Who the f... designs a ventilation fan with a dozen or so rings of blades? It is a ventilation fan for Christ sake, not a jet engine turbine. Oh, yes of course, stupid me, otherwise they would not have to spend so much time crawling through it.

I did like the various mutated zombies as well by the way. The flying thing at the beginning and the end was quite cool. Some people seems to have had an issue with the fast, sometimes very fast, clipping of scenes. I have to say that it did not disturb me that much. Not that it added much either though.

Speaking of the end. Well, I guess it was okay. The end itself was not too surprising. It was dragged down by the stupid nonsense with Dr. Isaacs though. The only time an exploding grenade resulted in anything less than a semi-atomic eruption of flames was of course when the director had decided that he needed the bad guy for a few more scenes. Lazy and stupid script writing.

On the whole I enjoyed the movie as much as I expected to. It was an okay movie. Good for a evening fix of zombie splattering and Milla Jovovich (okay so what, I am a male of traditional sexual orientation you know). It could have been a lot better but it was not really horrendously bad either.
JohnSilver
June 20, 2017
Termine de belle fa├žon.
Explique bien les bout qui nous manque dans l'histoire d'Alice.
Dommage par contre de voir la fin comme si tout n'├ (C)tait pas termin├ (C) ....
½ June 19, 2017
This movie is terrible how is it compared to the video games
½ June 19, 2017
should be a mother's day movie. love the series all together the first ones are still the best.
June 19, 2017
Great film and not the final chapter has been left open for another
one of the best, 1&2 are my favorite still
½ June 18, 2017
After waiting what seems like a lifetime for this final movie I sat and watched this very poor piece of crap in disbelief. As a big fan of this franchise from the start this final chapter was utterly garbage in story ,direction and general look of this film which is completely unfathomable given the incredibly long time it took to release and really hope it is the last now.
½ June 16, 2017
The editing on this movie renders any possibility of tension and drama as non-existent. Maybe then RE would have stood a chance. Sloppy.
June 16, 2017
Best movie of the series. None stop action. Good ending. What's not to like?
June 16, 2017
"Resident Evil: The Final Chapter maybe excessively dumb and incredibly stupid but at least it's a competently-made final chapter"
DVD Movie Review: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Date Viewed: May 20 2017
Directed By Paul W.S. Anderson (Pompeii, Mortal Kombat, Alien vs. Predator, The Three Musketeers, Resident Evil, Resident Evil: Afterlife and Resident Evil: Retribution)
Written By Paul W.S. Anderson, Based on the "Resident Evil" video game series by Capcom
Starring: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Shawn Roberts, Eoin Macken, Ruby Rose, William Levy, Iain Glen, Lee Joon-gi, Fraser James, Rola, Ever Gabo Anderson and Matthew Santoro.

THANK GOD THIS SERIES IS OVER! After six brainless movies, the "Resident Evil" film franchise has finally come to an end. It is excessively dumb and incredibly stupid but at least it's a competently-made final chapter. The action sequences are actually pretty good and well-done but once again the characters are such cardboard cutouts and we don't give a damn about them especially Milla Jovovich's Alice who at this point must be running out charisma and sheer energy because she looks barely awake in this movie. The first "Resident Evil" film became one of the few video game movie adaptations to spawn a big franchise and these movies do really well overseas especially in China where the final film grossed $159.5 million. Once again, Jovovich's husband Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Alien vs. Predator, Mortal Kombat, The Three Musketeers) writes and directs and despite still being the directorial hack we like to hate, Anderson at least put some effort into it. The acting is not as robotic as with the other films in the series but that isn't saying a lot.

I never liked Milla Jovovich as an actress, she's always terrible in everything (okay except for "Dazed and Confused"). I felt that she never engages with the material she's supposed to work with and she also speaks in a very robotic voice. Gee I wonder why? "The Final Chapter" picks up where "Retribution" left off as Alice wakes up to a devastated and ruined Washington, D.C.. After being betrayed once again by Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts) and battling a giant mutated flying pterodactyl-type creature, the red hologram known as the Red Queen (Ever Garbo Anderson) reveals herself to Alice but this time she's on her side. She wants Alice to return to the Hive in Raccoon City within 48 hours because the Umbrella Corporation has developed an airborne antivirus which would destroy every organism of the T-virus once and for all, if she doesn't make it in time, the last of humankind will be wiped out. That's not all, the Umbrella Corporation led by Wesker and Dr. Alexander Issacs (Iain Glen) whom Alice thought was dead is also preparing to make a final stand against Alice and the remaining human survivors.

Those remaining survivors include Doc (Eoin Macken), Abigail (Ruby Rose), Christian (William Levy), Razor (Fraser James), Cobalt (the Japanese fashion model known as Rola) and Claire Redfield (Ali Larter) who survived the attack on Arcadia from the end of "Resident Evil: Afterlife". All of them are prepared to stand with Alice in their final fight for survival and peace but once again they will have to fight off hordes of zombies or zombified creatures and encounter several deadly traps.

The plot is total bananas, the villains don't make much sense and the characters are one-dimensional but the one thing "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" has going for is the action. The action set pieces are better put together than the previous installments but when we get to the plot, "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" starts to get painfully boring. If somebody told me what's the worst of the "Resident Evil" movies, I'd say installments one, two, three, four and five because all of them didn't have a brain in their heads and were total nonsense. "The Final Chapter" is total nonsense as well but it's actually not as painful as I thought it was going to be.

In terms of summer home video releases as well as video game adaptations, you can do a lot worse than "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter".
½ June 15, 2017
It's really not that bad...watchable fare.
½ June 14, 2017
does what resident evil does best.......kill zombies.
June 13, 2017
It was not my fav I actually fell asleep
June 13, 2017
Great film, great closing chapter to a successful franchise
June 12, 2017
An offensive waste of decent actors. This wasn't the final chapter in a great franchise, it was the execution. 107 minutes of my life I will never get back.
June 12, 2017
gua sih emang paling suka ya sama filem dengan tema distopia gitu.. guud lah sama ini filem
June 11, 2017
I don't know what's going on inside of director Paul W.S. Anderson's head. At first he praises slow motions and 3D effects as you can see from the previous two installments, but now in this latest (and hopefully) final outing in the "Resident Evil" series all of those praise are seemingly nowhere to be found. I understand the budget was cut and the filmmakers didn't have enough time to cover some of the shots, but come on! The editing for this film was HORRID! Why did the studio allow this version of the film to be released? There are so many cuts, you can barely see what's going on. It's headache inducing and distracting, which leaves you standing outside of the action rather than being INSIDE of the action. Plus the storyline doesn't make any sense since it contradicts several plot points in previous installments which makes their storylines irrelevant to this one. Do they even care about what film audiences' think? "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" is the perfect film that spits on its audiences while taking their money for granted. Glad no one will suffer this anymore.
June 11, 2017
Thank god this was the last because we are all done with Resident Evil film Adaptations.