Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Reviews

½ July 14, 2018
A fairly polished and action packed end to a very mediocre franchise. It wraps up a lot of the plot lines and answers many of the questions the viewer had throughout the series. That being said you can tell they did not plan those plot lines and they dont quite line up with what has happened in the previous films. Again, this film wont make much sense for those not invested in the series so only recommended for those who have already wasted over 8 hours of their lives watching these films.
July 12, 2018
If you're watching this movie for a coherent plot engagement characters or anything that makes Cinema typically good then you were on the absolute wrong place. I can't say this movie has a lot of good storytelling directing but what I can say it has is the main character driving a Jeep fill the seafloor to a is the main character driving a Jeep filled with C4 into a giant bird monster what I'm saying is if you know what you're getting into this movie can be amazing. It's an amazingly fun popcorn movie even if by the time you get up to walk to get popcorn you forget the entirety of the plot
June 29, 2018
No. I don't want to watch this movie. The Resident Evil movies all have been garbage. Only idiots like these films. The same people who like the Resident Evil movies are the same people who like the Transformers sequels, the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, and the Underworld movies. These movies are dumb, nonsensical, boring, mindless action flicks for brainless buffoons. Video games based movies suck and morons only like these shitty movies.
June 13, 2018
Part of me always thought that this franchise would never end. Sort of like how I feel about the Ice Age franchise, as well. They'll keep pumping out these movies, somehow, even after the world have been destroyed and we're all dead and gone. How this happens I don't know, but it is what it is. I think it should be obvious, for those who follow my reviews on RottenTomatoes (and, really, why would you?) that I've never been the biggest fan of this film franchise and the last film in the franchise, prior to this one, being eviscerated by yours truly. Of course I'm familiar with the Resident Evil games. I grew up a gamer and I've played a few of them. For those interested, I've played RE 2, 4 and 5. Those are the three that come to mind, main series at least. So I'm not super hardcore into it, but I know enough to get by. But I just never felt that the fact that the movie is so heavy on action with, really, very few elements of horror made for a good combination. While, until the seventh game which, ironically, came out earlier the same week this movie was released, returned to the franchise's survival-horror roots, the video game franchise was heading towards a more action-heavy approach. An approach that, outside of RE 4, which was revolutionary for its time and, even then, that game mixed horror and action perfectly, had mixed results with fans. The sixth game being such a commercial and creative disappointment forced Capcom to regroup and put out a game that, while considerably different from any RE game out there, felt more in tune with its horror roots. And, from what I understand, it did very well commercially and creatively. So, yes, but the thing is that what works in games might not necessarily work in film. I hate that the franchise is more about the generic action than truly compelling and effective horror. But, realistically speaking, an action-horror movie is a better sell than the alternative. And, as much as it pains me to say, it has led to this actually being one of the most commercially successful horror franchises of all time, on a worldwide basis at least. The six movies, in total, have gross $1.2 billion worldwide. That's obviously nothing for a film like, say, Infinity War which has grossed something like $2 billion worldwide. So just one movie almost doubled the entirety of the gross by this entire franchise. But, for horror, not many franchises cross these numbers. And, honestly, these movies are made for the international markets. Case in point, this movie made $26 million domestic and $285 million worldwide. That means that the worldwide gross was almost ELEVEN times that of the domestic. That's a staggering number, honestly. So, while these movies kinda suck, you can see why they keep pumping them out. Having said that and maybe it's because I was in a more forgiving mood given the events of this past week, but this could have been considerably worse. I realize that's not the best way to start a review, but this is where we are and you're just gonna have to deal with it. The thing is, this movie is still, technically speaking, bad. From a story perspective, honestly, I have no idea what's going on at any time, in the entirety of the franchise I mean. I swear to you that all of these films blend together and there are absolutely no distinguishable differences. All of the films look and feel the same and, thematically, they are very similar. Something about Umbrella and the T-Virus and fighting zombies. Blah, blah, blah. If you were to ask me to give you a detailed rundown of every film in the franchise I would not be able to do so, since I would not know to what movie in the franchise what I'm writing, at the time would belong to. That's problematic, but that's what you have to go through when the same guy (Paul W.S Anderson) writes and directs every movie in the franchise. That's probably the biggest issue with these movies, outside of them being poorly written and incomprehensible films. The thing about this is that, while Milla Jovovich is Paul's wife, her career has taken a hit as a result of this franchise. Nobody really takes her seriously as an actress and, honestly, it's not fair because Milla is pretty damn good at what she does. And, really, I'm not even saying that she's bad here, but she's much better than what she's allowed to show. I suppose that's neither here nor there. As far as to what I thought about this movie, it's watchable at best. It's a movie about a deus ex machina. Someone at Umbrella Corp produced an antidote to the T-Virus, which ironically is only known in the last movie, and Alice has to find it and release it before the last of the human settlements (in the U.S or the world or something) is wiped out. Simple and basic, I guess. But there's also Alice's vengeance against Isaacs and Umbrella Corp for wiping out humanity so they (and other rich people, I guess) could rebuild the earth in their image. I think first things first, the action in this movie is absolutely terrible Terrible in that there's so many quick cuts and edits that you really have no fucking clue as to what's happening and who's hitting who. I don't honestly remember them being this bad in previous movies, but maybe they were. It's seriously really fucking bad and, honestly, I was actually nauseated during some scenes because of it. The narrative is nothing to write home about. I mean, really, these movies aren't made because they have actual stories to tell. And, if you're a fan, don't pretend that they are. How else do you explain missing characters that survived the events of the prior film? Which was an issue here in that certain characters survived the fifth flick only to be missing entirely from this one. And it's not the first time this has happened either. If you care about your franchise's story then you're not gonna just ignore characters like that. But, really, since this sequel didn't require their presence it's like as if they never existed. Having said that and I understand that there are fans pissed off at this. But, guys, it's Resident Evil, who fucking cares??? This isn't like Breaking Bad doing its series finale without closing off Jesse's story. Jesse was a character central to the narrative. Were any of the characters who survived the events of the previous film as important as Jesse was to Breaking Bad? Honestly, I find it highly unlikely and I will fight anyone who says that they are. So, really, let's just get a grip here and come to the realization that this isn't really that important of a film franchise to get all worked up about. Yes, it's a slap to the face and insulting to your intelligence, but there's no reason to hold a grudge for a franchise that's so obviously shit. And, another thing, there's a twist in this film and it's so fucking obvious that you have to wonder what the point of pretending was. There's no real shocking revelation here, because you've already figured it all out, so it all feels kind of pointless. We're all just meant to pretend that what's staring at you through the TV screen (or tablet screen) isn't actually there. That's not as insulting as completely ignoring the existence of established characters, but it's still pretty bad. I don't know, though, but this wasn't as bad as I would have expected. Maybe I'm just high or I haven't slept much, but I felt that this was ok. Ok is still not good. Ok is still not average. Ok means that this is still a relatively bad movie, but one that doesn't make you wanna pull your hair out. Can you actually believe that there's actually already a reboot of this franchise being planned? This movie came out early last year and we're already trying to find ways to revive its rotting corpse. I mean, to be fair, The Final Chapter is probably meant to close off Alice's story, even though they left things open-ended enough to bring it back if they so wish. But come the fuck on. We're just starting to get over how bad these movies have been, do you really need to re-open that wound so soon? Couldn't you wait 10 years??? There's some inspired, but forgettable, bits right here. I couldn't tell you what they are since, of course, they are forgettable. But two stars is still better than the awful half-star I gave the previous movie. So I guess things are looking up. I wouldn't recommend it, though. Awful action, nonsense storyline, generic look/feel and just an overall sense of franchise fatigue (from its own creators) means that, while this is an improvement over the previous entry, it's still not worth watching on its own merits unless you're a fan. And, at this point, are there any of those left???
½ June 7, 2018
I've been an avid fan from the beginning. This is my second favourite movie franchise after Star Wars and I've been so pumped after every film. The previous movie ends on a high with a climactic final showdown imminent in this movie. The Final Chapter however skips all previous set up at the end of the last movie and removes every character that has been built up in the franchise offering no explanation and leaving me feeling as void as the movies various plot holes. I never want to see the movies end this way but many new characters were added to the meat grinder instead of maintaining the game and movie characters who make Resident Evil what it was. I know alot of the later movies had some moments that made you winch at how poor they were too but it made sense. Some of the fights were good but the focus was solely on the ever expanding creatures and letting down the fans. Mila played her part brilliantly but it lacked decent writing and cohesion. I just found the whole project lacking and plead for a scrap and remake just to finish properly.
June 3, 2018
es una excelente saga que esta yendo de arriba a abajo,pero esta película fue la excepcion,nos aclaro la historia,nos mostró todos los aspectos y nos dejo con mucha intriga, su acción no varia ni su estilo algo que se vuelve repetitivo pero ya nos muestra como va a acabar todo sin duda la mejor película de estas ultimas que a sacado la saga.
May 12, 2018
Seriously compared to other parts this one makes sense and action sequence is good glad this franchise is over now hope Jovovichacts under a decent director next time
April 5, 2018
A good movie that pays homage to the great original RE movie. They go back to the roots of zombie horror, but retain the great action scenes we've come to expect from Mila Jovovich. A good way to wrap up the RE series and Alice's story.
½ March 18, 2018
Not as good as the others before it but still enjoyable if you just want to relax and turn your brain off for an hour or so
½ March 10, 2018
Yet another Resident Evil villain easily defeated
½ March 10, 2018
there have been worse
February 14, 2018
Eh. Story seemed very promising at first, but execution/implementation of the story wasn't that good (same old thing - fight, fight, fight). Also, when did Alice go to DC? I've seen all the movies and never seen that part (was it just said?). Anyway, same as the last couple, but maybe a little better. The story is always good, but I feel the implementation of it is bad, or not as good as it could be (the last few films seem low budget compared to the first two, which were spectacular, IMO). Also, bigger and more complicated monsters don't necessarily mean a better scene - stick to the human zombies and keep it believable.
February 6, 2018
verdict.

Is it just me who enjoyed it while it lasted? Yeah yeah it's not even a great film but the more crazier it is the more I'm into it. Not really a fan of the franchise cause all of them are just popcorn flicks anyways. I really like the fight scenes compared to other films in the series. Good flick at nights with your buddies. I enjoyed it, and most importantly my mom enjoyed it.

3 out of 5.
½ February 5, 2018
I only made it through about 10 minutes. I couldn't take it. Worst ever, not even worth seeing on a dark and rainy night.
January 26, 2018
I hope somewhere down the lines they decide to remake the film series. They killed off important characters, brought in characters in the previous film (fan favorite and highly important aswell) and to have them not return or kill them off screen. In this film specifically you have Claire Redfield and her brother Chris (newly introduced) and Claire doesn't even acknowledge their relation nor morn his death. The story was nothing more than troubling and left questions unanswered and loose ends like the ones left in the movie. In my opinion screen jems needs to hit the restart option and find a good writer and not solely focus on just one characters storyline.
January 21, 2018
I find it has the best story of the 6 movies so far explaining plot holes and closing them. It's just too bad the action is jump cut after jump cut to the point that it gives you a headache. You'll be fine if you can live through that but it's hard to.
½ January 20, 2018
the ultimate anti-climax movie. at least the video games have risen back to critical and audience acclaim with the recent Resident Evil VII which is both scary, mysterious and a great horror survival game. This movie is neither of those things it is disposable lacking any 3d characters. no fear, no atmos, cgi is good at least but the horror is tame they even copy the crap traps from the 1st film. hopefully one day a filmmaker will come along to do it justice focusing on the actual characters and not some super soldier telekinetic chick. it makes a joke out of the game.
½ January 7, 2018
There are a lot of zombies in this movie, but there are more continuity errors
½ January 6, 2018
The final Chapter can be said to be a story-less and plot-less movie made just to conclude the franchise of Resident Evil. Apart of Milla and Ali's beauty there is nothing worth to watch such a movie. It has good visual effects although not comparable to its prequels. The performances are ordinary and the movie never seem to bang a great farewell. Total dissatisfaction and disappointment.
December 28, 2017
Another terrible resident evil movie and I'm glad that this is the last one.