Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Reviews

October 21, 2017
"Resident Evil: The Final Chapter maybe excessively dumb and incredibly stupid but at least it's a competently-made final chapter"
DVD Movie Review: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Date Viewed: May 20 2017
Directed By Paul W.S. Anderson (Pompeii, Mortal Kombat, Alien vs. Predator, The Three Musketeers, Resident Evil, Resident Evil: Afterlife and Resident Evil: Retribution)
Written By Paul W.S. Anderson, Based on the "Resident Evil" video game series by Capcom
Starring: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Shawn Roberts, Eoin Macken, Ruby Rose, William Levy, Iain Glen, Lee Joon-gi, Fraser James, Rola, Ever Gabo Anderson and Matthew Santoro.

THANK GOD THIS SERIES IS OVER! After six brainless movies, the "Resident Evil" film franchise has finally come to an end. It is excessively dumb and incredibly stupid but at least it's a competently-made final chapter. The action sequences are actually pretty good and well-done but once again the characters are such cardboard cutouts and we don't give a damn about them especially Milla Jovovich's Alice who at this point must be running out charisma and sheer energy because she looks barely awake in this movie. The first "Resident Evil" film became one of the few video game movie adaptations to spawn a big franchise and these movies do really well overseas especially in China where the final film grossed $159.5 million. Once again, Jovovich's husband Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Alien vs. Predator, Mortal Kombat, The Three Musketeers) writes and directs and despite still being the directorial hack we like to hate, Anderson at least put some effort into it. The acting is not as robotic as with the other films in the series but that isn't saying a lot.

I never liked Milla Jovovich as an actress, she's always terrible in everything (okay except for "Dazed and Confused"). I felt that she never engages with the material she's supposed to work with and she also speaks in a very robotic voice. Gee I wonder why? "The Final Chapter" picks up where "Retribution" left off as Alice wakes up to a devastated and ruined Washington, D.C.. After being betrayed once again by Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts) and battling a giant mutated flying pterodactyl-type creature, the red hologram known as the Red Queen (Ever Garbo Anderson) reveals herself to Alice but this time she's on her side. She wants Alice to return to the Hive in Raccoon City within 48 hours because the Umbrella Corporation has developed an airborne antivirus which would destroy every organism of the T-virus once and for all, if she doesn't make it in time, the last of humankind will be wiped out. That's not all, the Umbrella Corporation led by Wesker and Dr. Alexander Issacs (Iain Glen) whom Alice thought was dead is also preparing to make a final stand against Alice and the remaining human survivors.

Those remaining survivors include Doc (Eoin Macken), Abigail (Ruby Rose), Christian (William Levy), Razor (Fraser James), Cobalt (the Japanese fashion model known as Rola) and Claire Redfield (Ali Larter) who survived the attack on Arcadia from the end of "Resident Evil: Afterlife". All of them are prepared to stand with Alice in their final fight for survival and peace but once again they will have to fight off hordes of zombies or zombified creatures and encounter several deadly traps.

The plot is total bananas, the villains don't make much sense and the characters are one-dimensional but the one thing "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" has going for is the action. The action set pieces are better put together than the previous installments but when we get to the plot, "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" starts to get painfully boring. If somebody told me what's the worst of the "Resident Evil" movies, I'd say installments one, two, three, four and five because all of them didn't have a brain in their heads and were total nonsense. "The Final Chapter" is total nonsense as well but it's actually not as painful as I thought it was going to be.

In terms of summer home video releases as well as video game adaptations, you can do a lot worse than "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter".
October 21, 2017
Well it happened, one of the most iconic movie series in my adult life is ending and it took us by a big surprise, it was pretty good, especially for its status as a B grade horror movie. What I really love (and this isn't a spoiler since its in the previews) is that it comes back to Raccoon City.

Don't get me wrong, it won't be winning any sort of acting awards, the writing isn't Oscar worthy and the special effects are lagging behind. However, even with all of that it was the most cohesive chapter of the series to date.

We originally saw the original Resident Evil when it first came out, since then, barring a single movie, we have seen them all in the theater. Much like the Underworld series, it is just a thing we do.

I was surprised at how well everyone looks (especially Milla) after so many movies and so many years. However, like Kate Beckinsale she probably doesn't have a lot more time in that she could do this movie and supposedly be the same character at the same age.

Out of all of these movies, this definitely had the most cohesive plot. The wrapped up several strings, and even brought in some new things that were maybe a little obvious but they worked well with it. Contrary to some of the movies in the middle though it kept my attention, and entertained us. We were a bit sad to see it wrapping up, it rests up there as a tie for second place for my favorite RE movie (no matter what I do, the original RE always keeps its spot).

Pros: Cohesive storyline, not bad acting, and a satisfying conclusion.

Cons: For a B grade theater movie there really isn't any big cons except this is the final chapter.

Final words, definitely go see it in the theater.
½ October 13, 2017
honestly, I was so happy to know that the franchise would end.

In short, the film is very bad, mainly because of the gap with the history of its predecessor.

To make matters worse, the film's production appears to have been made by amateurs, created a climate "so dark" that the scenes that should have greater emotions are overshadowed by the bad lighting. It is not easy to see.

The ending is predictable, the story of the clones is covered since the third or fourth film. Also, this clone story did not yield well. Previously, they cloned all the characters that already appeared in the franchise, just needed to clone the villain!!

The characters are terrible, few exploited. All of them pass the image of "easy target", for fans of the games, Wesker was trash. Except for Claire, no character in the game was well explored. In turn, the protagonist again showed that it is not used to act in action films. In other words, Jovovich's character is a real clone.

They needed six movies to present a mediocre and redundant story.
½ October 8, 2017
Like many entries in a long standing franchise, if you liked the other ones before, then why not?
October 3, 2017
An awful finale to an awful franchise. Lazy, Garbage filmmaking should not be praised. Milla Jovovich and her husband prove you can be a fool...if you're a liar! Characters are also traitors!!
October 2, 2017
Somewhat the final chapter of Alice's vendetta or odyssey against the corporation that turned much of the human population into zombies. Starring Milla Jovovich as Alice, written and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson which centers on the confrontation between it's main star and head of umbrella Dr. Alexander Isaacs (Iain Glen)
October 1, 2017
Plot goes nowhere, throws continuity out the window. A slap in te face to those who enjoyed most of the previous films as guilty pleasures.
September 27, 2017
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter continues with something that its predecessors had: leaving the audience asking what is going on (and not in a good way). The storyline could have been something way better, as well as the visual effects. There are a lot of questions that are answered, yes, but many others are formulated when the movie ends. The characters weren't well exploited, and the ones that come back are almost useless (Alice is the only character that, as usual, saves the other ones, kill the monsters, and saves the day). Paul Halsinger did a great job with the score, that's probably the only good thing in the movie, the only thing that keeps you in the seat. The action scenes are well thought out, and perhaps well executed, too, but the editing is horrible. The amount of jump cuts are probably bigger than all the ones of the previous films together.

Summarizing: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter gives the worst conclusion that this franchise could have, contradicting a lot of aspects of the previous films and giving more questions that answers.
September 25, 2017
The first film was very good for its type, but each sequel seemed to get worse than the last and, true to form this confusing mess with just about no character development and non-stop fight scenes was the worst one yet. The underground last half of the film was so dark lighting wise that one couldn't tell what was happening. Fight scenes don't really make up for not having an intelligent plot.
½ September 24, 2017
Soooo scary lol. What a bad movie.
½ September 24, 2017
Somewhat entertaining, but the story is super stupid.
September 23, 2017
This movie is supposed to be the final installment of the long running franchise, but considering the way it ended and the fact that it made over $300 million worldwide on a $40 million budget, I'm doubting that this will be the last one...which is kind of disappointing. This latest incarnation of the series is long and redundant with lots of fancy action set pieces, wild looking creatures and brutal, gory violence which is hard to see most of the time because it's shot with such dark light, you have to guess what's going on most of the time. It's just ho-hum, but I guess it fits in with the rest of the series
September 23, 2017
If you are a fan of this series then you have to watch this RE entry, but like all of the others...It's not that good. I don't know why I stuck with this series. This one is corny.
½ September 22, 2017
Some amazing action scenes and some really cool monsters, but drops a notch for a less stellar final act and very illogical storytelling. And completely left the door wide open for more sequels, despite their claims that it's the "Final" chapter. Just be truthful with it already. Makes viewers shake their head at the end in disapproval.
½ September 22, 2017
Maybe it does not give any soda air to the saga, but at least it gives us a story, with several entertaining sequences and a valid characters.
½ September 21, 2017
Best one of the series, surprisingly.
September 19, 2017
"The Final Chapter" of the Resident Evil series is here and its insane collection of action sequences make for some great cinematic fun. Milla Jovovich's final portrayal as Alice is full of passion and grace, and the film ends full circle, thus wrapping up all the films together satisfyingly. Now of course the film isn't perfect. The action cinematography is sloppy at times, and with the film being very "point A to point B" there isn't much left to take in story wise up until the very end, but with its nonstop thrills and epic performance from Milla, the film remains entertaining and nostalgic enough to keep you engaged, and with that, it was a truly enjoyable flick. The Resident Evil film series has finally ended, and for many that's a good thing. In retrospective, it marks the end of an era. Video game movies rarely do well, but this one managed to stick around the longest, and I believe it's because it did what the games chose to do, and that's evolve, for better or for worse.
½ September 13, 2017
It was just bad from the plot holes to characters having powers in in the last film to having no powers and getting easily murdered this was just terrible
September 3, 2017
The worst of the saga, but still entertaining.
September 2, 2017
Same thing Alice saving the day not much acting but this story is quite exciting and refreshing and answer the questions. Not bad