Retroactive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Retroactive Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
Extremely underrated! Great movie
March 2, 2014
This time-travel roadmovie needs a while to get interesting, but every jump back just makes a bigger mess. Belushi really has a good time playing the badguy!
½ January 5, 2014
Nice premise, but over the top
½ June 16, 2013
"Groundhog's Day" meets "The Hitcher." Kylie Travis makes the unfortunate mistake of hitching a ride with mutton-chopped killer Jim Belushi and his wife. Travis ends up witnessing Belushi killing a cop, his wife and assorted others. Belushi then chases her into a secret government facility where she is accidentally sent back in time, finding herself back in Belushi's car. The story then has Travis trying to play out the scenario differently several different ways. I always find these types of stories interesting, seeing how characters might try to rewrite their own history, but these stories can easily become tedious and annoying. This film manages to stay interesting, with the characters making smart choices and also does it with some decent action sequences. Although the film is strictly Roger Corman/Charles Band quality, taken on that level, it's a pretty entertaining film. And it never hurts to cast M. Emmet Walsh in your film.
June 15, 2013
Great time manipulation experience--Great concept, fun thriller!!
October 14, 2012
I saw this little gem of a movie 10 years ago or so and had almost forgot about it, but while looking through IMDB to help me add to my James Belushi dvd collection I clicked on the link it and it all came back to me of how good this movie was, so right away I had to see if it was on dvd and then I had to get it (amazon uk £3.95)

The movie is Groundhog Day meets 12:01 meets The Hitcher.

I don't want to give any of the plot away as it's best not knowing much about it and just letting it play out.

James Belushi is great in this and Kylie Travis is also very good (she gave up acting in 2001 though) and it's almost like a 2 actor play although there are other actors in it (not many) like Frank Whaley (swimming with Sharks).

The movie is well shot and the fx are good for it's low budget.

Well worth an hour and a half of your time.
June 14, 2012
Needs to be triple-featured with Tremors and Terminator. Also prepare yourselves for my short story entitled "Get Frank". Its going to be my version of Karen's what-if therapy journal.
½ May 21, 2012
An interesting thriller that uses sci-fi elements. I really don't know how it is obscure since it's quite original.
April 10, 2012
This move is not meant to be taken litteraly don't try to find the science in it just watch and enjoy, inventive with a twist.
½ February 5, 2012
Similar in structure (at a very basic level) to Groundhog Day and the more recent Source Code, Retroactive doesn't have the same humor or intelligence of either of those films. The set-up feels rushed, mostly do to a weak script. There's some energetic action scenes, but the back-story is treated so slightly, that nothing has much weight to it. The fast pace does help cover for some of the silliness, but in the end you have something that doesn't add up to much. Had they had a more convincing bad guy (James Belushi isn't at all intimidating), it definitely would have helped a great deal.

2.5/5 Stars
½ January 4, 2012
An innovate time killer to say the least, Retroactive is a fair and suitable thriller worthy of cult recognition.
November 28, 2011
doesn't look good to me ...
May 9, 2011
Potentially the story could of been really good, but cast and acting and film set, made it very disappointing to watch.
½ February 13, 2011
Time travel movie. Much like Groundhog Day, our lead actress keeps reliving a horrible experience and tries to change things. Bad acting, bad idea. A shotgun toting James Belushi plays a crazy whacko who kills his wife on a trip through the desert.

What if you could go back in time to save a life? What if you could avert disaster? Karen Warren finds herself in the middle of an emergency, with the power to turn back the clock and rescue a battered woman. Her car breaks down on a hot Texas afternoon, and Frank, a despicable and lecherous man, gives her a ride. On the way, he begins to fight with his wife. The wife is accidentally killed, and Karen runs in terror from the car and into the United States supercollider laboratory looking for help. Instead, she stumbles onto a scientific experiment and is sent back in time.

If you like endless shooting, endless road rage and endless nonsense. Oh, by the way, our psychiatrist lady is a horrible shot. Frank, like some monster, just can't be eliminated.

Jesse Borrego

Director: Louis Morneau
Composer: Tim Truman
Line Producer: Candace Veach
Producer: Steve Stabler
Screenplay: Robert Strauss (II)
Costume Designer: Alexandra Welker
January 26, 2011
The Critics at Rotten tomatoes are crazy. All ficiton based on timetravel is proposterous because there isn't much we know much about it. True, it could have had better special effects concerning the SciFi part, but the rest was amazing a few continuity flaws, and i did'nt find any characters to be flawed or anything they said or did out of place or unrealistic everything the characters did fell into place like domino, maybe the critics at rotten potato are too stupid to see it. ok there was one flaw the film could have done without in one intance of reality the protogonist and the kid fell conveniently out of a moving car. But flaws like this are too many to be found even high rated movies written into the screenplay to keep the story going. I think Kylie Travis would have made a fine action-film star doing all the shooting herself. And i also didnt founf the protogonist to be brazen or impulsive, she needed to take control of the situatiion quickly. I dont know maybe its just me but i like movies which i want to see again and again.
½ January 18, 2011
Explosions, shooting, car chases, and time travel. Prepare yourself for some all-nonsense all-the-time fun.
November 2, 2010
Crap action scenes, crap plot... but still entertaining.
August 15, 2010
Suppose you were having a really bad day, and lots of things were going wrong, with bad consequences for everybody?
What if you could go back in time, knowing what would happen, and change it?
That's what happens in this film, but sadly, all the things our heroine tries to change only end up making things worse.
What are the filmmakers trying to tell us here? That, if you try to change the future, you will inevitably make a pig's breakfast of it? Or is it just that this particular character fails to learn the crucial lesson(s) which would enable her to make everything better.
I think it must be the latter. But let's face it, if she made everything better the first time around, it wouldn't be a very interesting movie, would it? Everyone gets off on catastrophe.
½ July 18, 2010
Bad script, bad acting barely any focus on the time travel. Could have made shhotings more realistic need I say more?