Return to Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return to Me Reviews

April 20, 2019
Before "Greek Wedding", this movie rocked the balance between big family comedy & sweet romance with natural sincerity & great humor. The characters, from the two loveable leads to their extended friends & family, are so realized & funny, they elevate this above most disposable, turn-of-the-century rom-coms. The way this manages being appropriately sad but not overwhelmingly so, juxtaposing the grief & joy of life perfectly, is remarkable. Ms. Hunt, you're an under-appreciated treasure.
March 11, 2019
I was awe inspiring and sweet! Loved it!
November 19, 2018
I'm surprised this doesn't have a higher score. This became one of my favorite movies when i first saw it. I have seen it repeatedly since. I think there has to be something deeply wrong with anyone who didn't like it. First, kudos to Bonnie Hunt for her writing, directing, and acting. I don't care if anyone finds the romantic plot sappy or predictable or unbelievable - I didn't and I found it all very emotional and endearing. I think the Cast is excellent. What a freaking fantastic ensemble! All the leads are excellent but that supporting cast is like the best heavy hitting dream baseball team. I love that i both laughed and cried - I know that sounds cliche' but it's more true for this movie than any other I have seen. Bonnie Hunt's genius is that she serves up realism in such a recognizable way. I'm one of those people who loves that stuff - I pay attention the little things and there is a lot of "little things" happening in this movie. The business of life is happening all around in every scene and I recommend watching it more than once because you might find you missed some fun moments and great lines on the first viewing. Some of my favorite moments (without giving too much away) 1. David Dechovny and David Allen Greir share a short emotional moment early on in the movie that makes me cry EVERY TIME. Kudos to them for their performances and kudos to Bonnie for making this beautiful moment happen between two male friends. We don't see men getting that emotional, crying, and offering support to eachother that way too often in the movies (especially with straight guys) and I wish we saw that more often. Attention movie makers - pay attention - we need more of that. 2. Any time Bonnie Hunt and Jim Belushi are on screen together as this married couple with kids is a pure hilarious joy. So much humor, love, and realism. Very down-to-earth and familiar. I know these people. I like them. The kids make the picture complete and add to the humor. 3. The older generation characters lead by Carroll O'conner and Robert Logia. Holy cow.... I wanted to take all of them home with me and I truly believe O'conner delivered one of this best performances ever in this film and it was his last - which I find a fitting tribute. Joely Richardson deserves credit for her work in the beginning of the film as much as Duchovny and Driver do for their leading roles in the rest of the film. I liked these characters. I cared about them. I could have been friends with them. I love how it all came together. I think th is movie is greatly underappreciated. One of my all time favorites for sure.
September 6, 2018
I don't care what the critics have to say. I absolutely love this movie and have watched it many times. I'm not much for romance, but the story, the cast and the music make me smile.
February 14, 2018
My wife and I have watched this movie every Valentine's day since 2003. Great movie!!
½ July 10, 2017
A charming and sweet little movie.
November 5, 2016
Loved the cast...great chemistry between all...characters seemed so natural and real. Have watched it over 12 times with friends.
October 27, 2016
Such a beautiful movie.
March 5, 2016
Cozy and adorable...but not like in a cute way. I liked the character interactions, easy going and not over the top.
½ December 14, 2015
It's an acceptable romantic film, but it just feels like it's missing something? Where's the spark? Where's the magic? To me romantic films need to have a challenge of some sort that the couple can confront and vanquish, but this here the romance just feels too easy for me. You don't get a sense that these guys are struggling imo.
November 29, 2015
A good, solid chick flick.
November 23, 2015
Very bland until Bob Rueland (David Duchovny) and Grace Briggs (Minnie Driver) first meet, but after that, the movie sparkles.
July 26, 2015
I love this movie! I've probably seen it 50 times!
½ May 27, 2015
Sometimes there is zero chemistry in these romantic comedies but here it's off the charts in this sweet and touching movie.
May 22, 2015
A totally harmless, innocent, sweet, pleasant little romance. It'll make you smile.
½ May 6, 2015
Such a sad beginning with such a great and touching ending.
½ March 31, 2015
Very cute, fluffy little romantic movie...I always like Driver's movies.
February 9, 2015
it's 15 years old and actually good and involving
very emotional considering its unexpected circumstances but very hopeful
Grace is dying and Bob's wife dies at the same time; Grace gets a new heart while Bob's breaks
turns out Grace has Bob's late wife's heart and she is living with the shame of God being too kind to her
Bob working at a zoo decides its time for a change and when the two meet it's the most unusual chance meeting of their lives
Bonnie Hunt who stars and directs gives a lot of heart and hope for those who deserve a second chance at anything
Driver and Duchovny are quite the delight together
December 19, 2014
It's as brighter than John Q and better than Sleepless in Seattle! A movie that nobody can resist! Minnie Driver is amazing!
½ November 12, 2014