Revolutionary Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revolutionary Road Reviews

November 21, 2016
Most likely an accurate portrayal of hating your family if you are selfish and generally suck as a person.
Well-done. Well acted, especially by michael Shannon (what else is new).
It delves deeper into despair than most "suburbia-is-hell" films.
Recommend, but I wish the characters were a bit more complex so that their struggle seemed more worth exploring.
½ October 5, 2016
Definitely not an easy sit-through. This is a film for mature and educated audiences. DiCaprio and Winslet are breathtaking! The supporting actors are all spot-on in their characterizations. I was mesmerized on this emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. The final coda is simply devastating; I was left in shattered and in tears. Naturally, it's one of my all-time faves! :D
½ September 19, 2016
A powerful film depicting the conflict between conformism and venturesomeness. Often a film reuniting excessive acting talent (DiCaprio, Winslett, Bates) fails due to the clashing of personalities at a high level; in this case the casting is superb, with brilliant performances also by David Harbour and Michael Shannon. This is the second time I've seen it, it only gets better.
June 30, 2016
A good movie that could have been great. The acting and soundtrack are top shelf but the story tends to be jumbled and at times incoherent.
½ June 22, 2016
Terrific performances from DiCaprio and Winslet even if the story is rather depressing but well directed. A-.
May 21, 2016
This won raves from the critics, and who are we to argue with the critics? One might think there had never been a move made about a marriage falling apart before this one. Excellent performances by all do not necessarily add up to a great movie. This is depressing and predictable right down to the unsatisfying non-ending. This viewer was raised in the upscale suburbs of the 1950's, and doesn't recall such overwrought, passionately unhappy characters as this dreary husband and wife. The 50's were a quiet, sweet time. We've all heard there was suburban angst brewing beneath the surface, but few upscale ladies self-aborted. And who knew it was so easy? Leonardo gives a brilliant, subtle, warm performance. We didn't know he had it in him. Kate is stuck in a thankless role as a shallow, selfish,woman who doesn't know how good she has it,.She is the self-pitying sort who weeps while doing dishes. There is not a shred of humor or charm in this dark film. It's framed by Kathy Bates as a gossipy real estate dealer who tells the tale, an odd device with no payoff. Her mentally ill son is invited into the chaos as a sort of idiot savant who speaks the unspeakable truth. Didn't we all have neighbors like that?
½ May 18, 2016
It's still pretty good. One of the best duet performances in film history, it's good they only made a few films together. If it weren't for DiCaprio and Winslet I wouldn't have watched it.
May 15, 2016
Kate Winslet was pitch perfect throughout, definitely deserving of a Best Actress nom (and WIN) at the Oscars. She's never been so raw, so cold yet full of hidden emotions at the same time. She gives a brilliant, flawless performance.

Leo was good, but not as great as Kate. He was somewhat stiff throughout, which I know is a part of his character but at points his delivery was so ready & so stagy that it didn't hit home. HOWEVER, he really lets loose in the final half hour, when his character cracked, and it gave me chills. Brilliant moment.

I wasn't a fan of the (count 'em) THREE false endings of this movie. It should have ended 20 minutes before it did. The emotional intensity reached its peak, and yet it continued on & on & on.

Michael Shannon as a "not well" neighbor was one of the best parts of the movie. The writing, acting and directing of this character was very well done.

I also wish there were more scenes in the beginning showing WHY these 2 people love each other...a LITTLE more of them being happy would have gone a long way & it would have been more devastating to watch things fall apart.
April 30, 2016
I'm still struggling to understand this film, but it seems to be about a wife and mother who feels trapped in her respective roles and tries to convince her husband to give her his responsibility-not so much because she wants to be bread winner per se, but because she wants something else in life. Within the context of her family she feels delegated to wife and mother, and those roles clearly don't fulfill her. The problem seems to be then, that she doesn't feel like she can break away from her family and fulfill her goals, and when she realizes that her husband will never give her what she needs, she takes her life in response. But then, she shouldn't have to break away from her family to find fulfillment: she should be able to have it within the confines of her family. But the film clearly states that the latter is not possible. However, she wasn't interested in a mere outlet: she wanted Frank to stop working all together. She wanted complete control over her family. She wanted her husband to lounge around, 'figuring out who he is' while she worked and supported him and her kids. She clearly wanted to delegate her husband to mere husband and father. April realizes however, that she will never have complete control over her family, and especially Frank, and it is that realization that drives her into the hopeless emptiness.
April 16, 2016
Sure, it's a well-made film but it's not one that I'm likely to want to watch it again anytime soon.
March 27, 2016
One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, in every sense of the word. It's absolutely incredible.
March 24, 2016
a lot to chew on , solid film
½ March 3, 2016
Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio's performances are amazing, and movie itself is sad and depressing but in an interesting way.
½ February 21, 2016
1.5/5 "hopeless emptiness"
February 14, 2016
Biting and uncomfortably truthful. Winslet and DiCaprio have never been better.
½ February 14, 2016
Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet team up again for the emotionally draining Revolutionary Road directed by Sam Mendes, a very brilliant man. This movie is about a young couple with two kids whose lives are not what they want them to be, so their marriage deteriorates. Revolutionary Road has me torn. It's a movie with three amazing performances (some of Leo's best and definitley Kate's best, and Michael Shannon's perfect performance), flawless cinematography from the master himself Roger Deakins, and great directing, along with a very good script. but despite all of the greatness that this movie has to offer, overall it is very depressing, dark, upsetting, and borderline bleak. now I know the movie was setting out to do this and I applaud it for that. it's just not something I want to watch. although this is a great movie, I did not enjoy watching it. I will more than likely never revisit this movie. however, with milestones as performances, swell directing, and a final shot that I consider one of the most brilliant and upsetting final shots of all time, Revolutionary Road is a great movie, but not one I will revisit. it is emotionally powerful and works on every level, but in some cases it made me uncomfortable watching it because it was so real. I can't reccomend it, but it is worth watching once for the performances.

7.9/10
February 7, 2016
Forced unnatural dialogue and a cast of 50's stereotypes leaves this movie un-anchored in reality.
½ January 3, 2016
I have seen this movie twice. In the first viewing, I was riding the wave of the emotions that were at first positive and then negative. I was intrigued with the plot, especially the dream of moving to Paris. Tonight when I watched the movie again, I found the gamut of the emotions disturbing. I think that the story conveys a profound message, not only significant and relevant in the 1950's but equally in the 21st century. The feelings that the movie evoked in me were as if I were on a slide...from highs to lows. I found the very last few minutes very painful. Nonetheless, I think that Revolution Road to be a brilliant movie with equally fantastic acting of Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates,
½ January 3, 2016
Pretty depressing movie. It was quite good, but I couldn't help feeling as if I'd seen it all before.