Riding in Cars With Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Riding in Cars With Boys Reviews

½ September 12, 2016
Not the best acting but the story obliviously comes from a real place. Even though sappy some times and dated it still can connect.
September 5, 2016
To me, this isn't a story about a young mom who overcame her struggles and eventually achieved her dream - it's a story about embracing the complicatedness of life and discovering that maybe our lives turn out exactly how they're supposed to. Plus it's Beverly Donofrio's story. And it has Drew. And Brittany Murphy. And Steve Zahn. Wins all around!
½ June 19, 2016
Teenage girl with dreams of becoming a writer are put on hold when she becomes pregnant. Even worse, the father of the child is a drug using slacker whom she had a one night stand. She tries to make things work over the course of several years until she ultimately leaves her now husband. She soon gets her dream as a writer but to get her story published she must get a signature of consent from her ex. Along the way she travels with her estranged and resentful son. This drama has a great cast and a career performance by Drew Barrymore and fantastic supporting roles from James Woods and Steve Zaun. Penny Marshall directs a gem and its her best movie yet.
½ June 28, 2015
It had its moments (Brittany Murphy shines in her supporting role), but there were numerous flaws in its execution, mainly in the writing - the characterization, pacing, and tone lacked consistency, and just ultimately weren't conducive to the narrative. (I haven't read the book/memoir, so I don't know if it was just poorly written or poorly adapted.) It's perfectly fine to have imperfect protagonists, but this movie just left a bad taste in my mouth. It was disappointing, because I think it could have been a good movie - or at least a much better one.
June 25, 2015
i want to see it free
June 2, 2015
The only problem with Penny Marshall directing Riding in Cars with Boys is that she tries too hard to make it sweet and charming. The truth is that this is a really sad story. A teenage girl gets knocked up, marries a loser drug addict, doesn't get into college, and then can't help but blame her son for all her mistakes. That's sad!

Nevertheless, Riding in Cars with Boys is a moving drama with super performances from Drew Barrymore and Steve Zahn. It's not perfect, but it should make you cry (it certainly makes me tear up at parts).
½ January 4, 2015
Mukavasti meni aika tämänkin omaelämänkertaan perustuvan elokuvan parissa. (Suom. Miehet elämässäni)
November 16, 2014
Barrymore doesn't look really convincing neither as a dreamy teenager nor as a frustrated 35-year-old mother who threw away her dream, and even though the movie develops its characters as complex people with real problems like those found in real life, the end is disappointing.
October 8, 2014
Down to earth realization of young pregnancy. How back then it was shamed upon. How times have changed. A very good movie. Acting and storyline were excellent.
July 12, 2014
This movie was such a great one! It's funny, sad, and everything in between.
June 12, 2014
Great story, great setting, and the perfect cast.
June 2, 2014
The downward spiral is just so damn unpleasant.
April 26, 2014
A surprisingly good one.
½ March 30, 2014
a decent enough movie..
March 18, 2014
La película logra conectar emocionalmente con la audiencia pero los tantos temas confunden al espectador pero sigue siendo de buena intención
March 1, 2014
Make way for Beverly (Drew Barrymore), a smart, beautiful young woman who can't wait to grow up, much to the frustration of her police sergeant father (James Woods). Her life takes its first detour when she gets pregnant at age sixteen. The baby's father, her husband (Steve Zahn), turns out to need more mothering than her newborn son. But through all the trouble, Beverly makes a life that's more than she ever imagined and lives a story that's waiting to be told.

also stars Brittany Murphy, Adam Garcia, Lorraine Bracco, Sara Gilbert, Desmond Harrington and David Moscow.

directed by Penny Marshall.
January 14, 2014
This sweet film is well shot, nicely written & well acted. Drew Barrymore finds here maybe her best part ever and gives a great performance. It's a good film that deserves a viewing.
½ January 11, 2014
It tries to disguise itself as a light-hearted comedy, when it's really a dark, cynical movie. Also, Drew Barrymore's character is one of the worst female characters I've ever seen.
December 28, 2013
saw it with my sister when it came out and haven't seen it since. I want this movie):