Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

May 23, 2017
This movie is what Tim Burton's 2001 'Planet of the Apes' should have been. This movie's visually stunning, it has great action, great characters and is a pure delight to watch. So many films were improved here over the originals, and not just in the effects department. Andy Serkis alone deserved to be nominated for an Oscar with his absolutely mesmerising performance as Caesar and really brings the character to life. The drama is excellent, the action is truly spectacular and is just so enjoyable to watch. If you're fans of the original movie, or if you are a newcomer coming in for a good time, I guarantee you will not be disappointed, or at least you will be entertained.

This movie could have had a bland, generic story that was just an absurd string of events that lead to apes rising up. That's what it COULD have been. It wasn't. The story in this movie is so well done, it makes you feel and understand these characters and makes you understand their pain and loss. It's a story about the feeling of betrayal and what that can make you do. It carries drama and fun as well as possessing themes of betrayal and being a father all while being a story about intelligent apes! I congratulate the writers because they made this movie so much more than what it should have been. Combine that with a story that leads you completely satisfied, yet also craving more and ends on a note that can be thoroughly explored.

As far as acting is concerned, there is one clear standout; Andy Serkis. It genuinely upsets me that this guy hasn't been nominated for an Oscar yet because his performance as Caesar is one of the best motion capture performances I've ever seen in my life. At points, he makes an ape convey more emotion that some of the real people in this movie and that is true skill. If you thought he was great as Gollum, just wait for this mesmerising testament to his skill. I also adore Caesar's arc throughout this movie. Without spoilers, he changes so much throughout yet also so little. He retains all his emotion but also loses it simultaneously. This is obviously credit to the Serkis' performance but I also must yet again congratulate the writers who actually tried to make a great narrative and build genuine characters that they could exploit. They could have had 1D characters and just provided a really generic and bland story but they don't. They actually tried and I thank them for that. Both Serkis and the writing make Caesar one of the highlights in this movie. Aside from him, however, none of the other actors stood out aside from one: James Franco. And not for a good reason. I don't like James Franco at the best of times and I really don't see the appeal of him as an actor. That is no different for me here. He struggles to show humanity and emotion to the point were he's beaten on acting skill by a guy in a mo-cap suit. Freido Pinto, John Lithgow and Tom Felton were all passable in their performances but they merely served as pawns in the Serkis/Franco game of either making this movie great or awful.

The cinematography in this movie is truly gorgeous and looks stunning. The effects in this movie range from 'so good they're realistic' to 'The Star Wars Prequels'. Okay so maybe that's a stretch, but the point I'm making is some of there are absolutely spectacular whereas others were really lacklustre. Another thing I adored which I wouldn't usually say stood out was the set design in the movie. Sets like the Ape Enclosure or even Caesar's room all looked genuinely amazing and looked like they had actual thought and effort put into them.

The action in this movie is so fun and interesting and so unique, it's easily one of this movies MANY strengths. On top of that, it's just so fun. I had a wide grin on my face throughout the entire last half of this movie. It was so entertaining and is easily one of the best movie for just pure entertainment value in recent memory.

In Conclusion, I can wholeheartedly recommend this movie and it is a great time for both newcomers and longtime fans of the series. Definitely Recommended.

8/10
½ May 22, 2017
Connected to the 1960s and 70s franchise only by its title, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" brings an entirely new dynamic than the one present in the Charlton Heston film, while also promising an exciting franchise of its own.
May 19, 2017
Loved the plot and the explanation of the ship from the original taking off and getting "Lost In Space". one of the better "Apes" films, though not as good as the 1968 original classic.
½ May 17, 2017
rly bad xd. Cant Suspended disbelief 105 minutes of ewok battles.
May 11, 2017
If you are a "Planet of the Apes" fan,like I am.
½ April 22, 2017
A fantastic movie that fixed all the problems of the bad one, also the start of a great trilogy.
April 12, 2017
a very compelling film.
½ March 31, 2017
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is the reboot to the original franchise. The movie isn't bad, the CGI is incredible. The acting in the movie from Andy Serkis, James Franco, Freida Pinto, And John Lithgow is fantastic. The story is good, sometimes a bit confusing, but that does not stop the movie from being really good. I'm going to give this movie a 77%
March 26, 2017
Rise of the planet of the apes is a really good movie, I mean I got to agree with the reviews, it's got great visual effects, the story is good, the characters and acting are good, it reminds me of avatar a little, and it's got good writing and directing, it's a good movie
March 25, 2017
A great sci-movie, and the first in the series that truly lives up to the spirit of the original
½ March 23, 2017
Fairly well done with some satisfying payoffs.
March 19, 2017
When see the last time we are going to be free. When we see we are threstened, caged and used for experiments. When we see that the somethings work and are showing great progress. When we see it doesn't last long when all that could go wrong does. When we see somethings are a failure. When we see we must salvage whatever remaining dignity we can when we save and hide one. When we see that some things do work when they are passed down the life giving way rather then a shot. When we see that somethings work better then expected when their surroundings are more advanced and nurturing then others. When we see that we are better in open space then less space or enclosed spaces when we naturally are meant for the outside. When we see we cannot live domestically thst we must be enclosed. When we see that we don't belong here when we are not like others, when we are not pets, when we are not test animsls, when we are a dominant species that needs to get out of the hands of our capters. When we see we know the in and out of some places we escape. When we see that we don't go out the normal way and ho back to living the same life, we continue to remain where we are. When we see we know the in and outs but others dont know, so we lead them out the same way we got in and the same way we got out. When we see others are not suitable for the same ins and outs to know it's meant for only us. When we see the opportunity to liberate ourselves we take the high road back to our old life away from cages where we bust out off. When we see remaining out means we can no longer live back in to know we need more help and more alliances if we are to fight our way to freedom. When we see we only want to live out in the free to see we are not allowed and shot down. When we see we can't let them stop us, and find any means in that we protect what we believe in and whom brought us the inside to realize our realities. When we see that somethings in others will always be in them to always see us a certain way to which we hate and fight against that we must put a stop to. When we see that we wish to be regarded with respect and seen a different way rather what we always been seen to know we want out of our old life from our past yo our birth to lead a new present and see a future where we are accepted. When we see a future of possibilities when the world changes in our favour.
March 11, 2017
Absolutely astonishing blend of cgi and motion capture work combine with a intriguing story to deliver an exciting cinematic experience
February 24, 2017
A cliched approach to an interesting subject brings down the excellent performance by Andy Serkis. The movie feels like the trailer for a better film that never happens.
January 29, 2017
What a GREAT movie. Great script, great characters, great visuals & great acting!
½ January 24, 2017
Decent action blockbuster
January 12, 2017
Nota: 7.9/10 - 3.9/5
½ January 9, 2017
Does the franchise proud all while injecting some real world emotion and grit to the epic science fiction series. Full of great performances and superb special effects.
January 4, 2017
Against all odds and even with its sometimes silly concept, Rise of the Planet of the Apes reinvents the long running franchise with a heartfelt character oriented picture.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch