Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

July 24, 2017
4/5 , beginning was a little slow but after the first 30 mins it was pretty go go go !
July 24, 2017
Very entertaining ....arguably among the best Planet ape movies ever ....loved it! Lookin fwd to the next one soon.
Watched again 7/24/17 with nephew MS. Sad. Almost unbearable to see the mistreatment. Cool flick. Later watching Dawn in prep for War in theaters.
July 24, 2017
Remodeling the series, plus being quite entertaining, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an impressive Sci-Fi flick. Also, Andy Serkis' outstanding performance as Caesar is wonderful to watch.
July 24, 2017
Wyatt's film had no right to be as good as it is. Toning down all action, focusing on character and story, as well as cast an actor known for comedy showed all signs of approaching disaster. Yet it's all the things above that make Rise of the Planet of the Apes one of the strongest and most audacious prequels made. Performances are all strong, Franco showcases some great range and his true acting chops, but it's Lithgow who is impeccable with such an emotionally rich role.
July 23, 2017
My only major gripe with this film is how insanely callous and mean every human besides James Franco is. If your only interaction with humans (besides your father figure) is with a psychopath I think I can understand why you'd do what Caesar does. But whatever.
July 23, 2017
When I first heard that these movies existed, all I thought was "man, how would anyone even make a good and non-cheesy movie out of that!" And even worse, the first one of the many reboots I was treated to was Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, which is about as cheesy as it gets. The more recent installments blew me away.
The first great thing about this movie is that it is apes who can speak and fight police teams and it's not cheesy. They pull it off beleivably. The story of how it happens makes since and is realistic. The ape CGI is also really impressive, and Andy Serkis is great as Caeser. To be in a motion capture suit and act like an ape is something difficult, and he really pulls it off well. Serkis definetly has the correct stature for an ape that makes this movie so believable.
There are other things that made this movie great. James Franco and John Lithgow give great performances, and the narrative focus on the apes and why they do what they do, as well as how the humans cause it, is amazing. There's also social commentary and thought provoking story in there which I really liked. It made me think about a lot of things afterwards.
Overall, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an interesting story featuring interesting topics, great human performances as well as believable motion capture ones and no cheesyness. It's a great, enjoyable movie that is definetly worth watching.
½ July 21, 2017
great entry to this franchise.
July 20, 2017
A very fun and interesting movie to watch!
July 20, 2017
War for the Planet of the Apes is out so what better way to celebrate than to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the first film in the reboot series? Sorry, Charlton Heston, the 1968 movie is for another time. And the 2001 Tim Burton remake as well, I guess. Its story isn't one of the most original ones in the world and some of the CGI feels a bit unconvincing at first. Fortunately, the film is still one of the best reboot movies of all time. Andy Serkis's performance as Caesar is amazing. You know it's a sign everyone loved your performance when you get nominated even though you appear as an ape, not as an actual human. Some of the best motion-captured acting ever. Never before in my life have I felt so attached to a fictional character that's really just an Englishman in a weird-looking suit with dots that's connected to a computer. It's also pretty stylish with a good amount of fun shots especially during the climactic action sequence on the Golden Gate Bridge. The actors portraying the humans do a good job. Tom Felton portrays a guy who makes Caesar's prison life hell. And I think we're meant to hate him. After all, he did portray another certain bully in a certain series of book-based movies about a magic school. Transitioning from a relationship drama into a sci-fi of epic proportions, Rise of the Planet of the Apes sure as hell doesn't monkey around. I'm sorry, I had to. I couldn't resist.
July 20, 2017
Rise of the planet of the apes is a great start to a perfect trilogy. This movie is outstanding. I really wasn't expecting too much because this is a movie about talking apes, but I was really wrong. This movie had great special effects, characters, some heart, and a great plot. This movie really shows how the planet of the apes really began. I like how it showed the backstory of how the apes became intelligent and start to take over. It all pieces together and makes sense. I wasn't confused with the plot or anything. It didn't tangle up. Overall Rise of the planet of the apes is a great start to a perfect trilogy. It has great special effects, great characters, some heart, and a great plot. With those ingredients, you can get a perfect movie. A+
I really enjoyed it.
July 19, 2017
A concise and mesmerizing thriller featuring one of the smartest blockbuster scripts ever produced, "Rise of The Planet of the Apes" truly set the stage for an amazing trilogy to follow. Director, Rupert Wyatt keeps the action and plot moving and uses some very nifty camera work. An early scene of Caesar swinging around his new home is bouncing with jubilance and energy, and the breathtaking climax is structured around a single spoken word. This is an underrated masterpiece and several shades better than pretty damn good "Dawn"
July 19, 2017
Visually outstanding and surprisingly affecting. Rise brings the POTA franchise back to life like a reboot should with effective drama, great visuals, exciting action near the end, and an awesome performance by Andy Serkis as Caesar.
½ July 18, 2017
The CGI and Serkis' captivating performance are the standouts, but suprisingly, the narrative remains just focused enough to say something of consequence, though the translation may become cloudy with the transition between human and primate.
½ July 17, 2017
A great reboot to a franchise that could've have seen it's best days. 80/100.
July 17, 2017
An amazing start to the prequel/reboot franchise. Rise is a breathtaking origin film that never fails to entertain in the bogs.
July 17, 2017
Love love love the movie!!
July 16, 2017
A solid reboot of the franchise with great performances and special effects. Also the final battle is excellent.
½ July 16, 2017
Very solid opening to the reboot.