Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

September 23, 2017
Can't hate this fabulous remake at all.
September 19, 2017
An overrated and underwhelming beginning for a new series. Pretty flat and stale human characters ignite the flimsy and rushed story. The cinematography was impressive while the CGI was competent. Feel free to skip this one
September 8, 2017
From beginning to end, this movie delivers like no other in a new decade for CGI at its best with some wonderful movie moments, great action, comedy for the masses to enjoy and a story you'll grow to love.

There aren't many directors that can capture a movie moment these days where to get a powerful reaction from the audience seems hard to do, but Wyatt pulls it off adequately where not many can do in all movies. If I can recall another director to do it, I'd say it was Bryan Singer's X-men United where Rogue is saved by Knightcrawler in a daring teleportation rescue attempt to get her from the sky back into the ship.

I get so tired of saying it, you're always going to have plot holes in a movie, but people always complain about it - yes the movie has plot holes, but it shouldn't detract you from enjoying this movie filled with moving magic.

The acting from James Franco and Freida Pinto are as tedious as Leonardo DiCaprio's professional work. Perhaps if they'd look alive in the film, it would have supported the apes motion into a better perception of the situation, but it doesn't hurt the movie much, the orangutan more than covers for their dry performance.
September 6, 2017
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" feels like an introduction to this franchise and it really actually serves as one. While it can pass as a stand-alone, the story it tells is not as powerful as the whole franchise may cary. It has some really powerful moments and it raises most of the issues the whole franchise will evolve around but still it's not that powerful a movie. Andy Serkis steals the whole picture with his ape character but all the other human characters are actually forgetable. It had just enough story to make you interested for the next installment.
September 2, 2017
very pleasantly surprised! I thought this was a great film!
September 2, 2017
Infinitely better than the Tim Burton remake, Rise is one of the best origin stories ever put to film. Fantastic action, great dialogue, and a strong premise all come together in a film that stays respectful of the original films while also telling its own amazing story.
½ August 25, 2017
I can't wait to see the next one.
August 25, 2017
I like what they are doing and the folly of man bit is excellent. $9
August 20, 2017
Despite a somewhat mediocre performance from Franco and Pinto, a gripping plot and extraordinary CGI has this reboot easily surpassing the original.
August 17, 2017
As of the writing of this review, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is 6 years old. This was the movie that started the trilogy of prequel films that lead up to the original Planet of the Apes films. The film follows Caesar and his owner Will Rodman as they try to make having an incredibly intelligent pet ape work. You see Caesar grow up, develop his brain more and more, while still seeing his animal instincts kick in from time to time. It has great performances from all the actors and especially from Andy Serkis as Caesar as he brings this unbelievable ape to life. You feel emotional and attached to the relationship between Caesar and Will, and when conflict arises, you start to root for both sides as the movie does an amazing job painting no one as a true villain, aside from Tom Felton's character. This film started an amazing trilogy of movies which are some of the favorites to this day.
August 17, 2017
Refreshing and innovative, Rise of the Planet of Apes is a clever remake that despite some boring moments counts with a wit story, with a dark and tense atmosphere and with a unpredictable end.
August 16, 2017
Andy Serkis and James Franco give great performances with splendid special effects in the new franchise.
½ August 15, 2017
My knowledge of Planet of the Ages franchise is basic however I thought this prequel was brilliant. The overall story is interesting and the telling of its beginning is just mesmerising. The start of Rise of the Planet of the Apes is little short of superb and emotional but the evolution of this animal as well as his character was terrifically done. I thought the CGI was also very impressive but towards the end of this movie it strayed towards silly, saving itself at the right moment. As the movie progresses you can predict where the plot line goes but the way it plays out is exciting and exhilarating enough to capture the audience opening itself up to a sequel.
½ August 14, 2017
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a movie full of surprises. Andy Serkis does an outstanding performance, as you are fully drawn in the entire time by both the performance and the story.
August 11, 2017
My full opinion: 7.8/10.
½ August 10, 2017
Brings back what planet of the apes is about. A movie where the apes feel more human than animal and questions our society.
August 7, 2017
This was a great film the the ape series. One of the better reboots to a franchise. Andy Serkis is great as Caesar. I like this story of how the apes take over the planet more then the original. The motion capture in this is great and it keeps getting better in the sequels to this film.

8.4/10
½ August 5, 2017
epic story of how caesar fights the people who hunt them and return to the wild
August 3, 2017
The only reason I scored this so low is because I felt like I was watching two films. On the one hand, we have the story of a scientist that seeks to cure his father of degenerative disease, with the support of his hyper-attractive girlfriend. On the other, we have the story of Caesar, said scientist's pet experiment, and his eventual rise to being the leader of a simian revolution. I really liked the latter and hated the former. I didn't care about the dying father, I didn't care about the slapdash and totally useless love interest, I didn't care about the stereotypical bad pharma exec, and James Franco (who is entertaining every once in a blue moon) was simply too much of a kid for the role. It needed a MAN to counterbalance the sheer presence and compelling story of the apes. Franco offers as much gravitas as a 12-year-old's dance playlist on Spotify.

The use of contemporary CGI technology to make the apes truly come alive was astounding. We're not quite at a point where CGI is undetectable, but man, it's getting close.
August 2, 2017
This is a great movie. It has so much depth to all of it's characters and scenes.