Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

• 5d ago

A really good film with some amazing scenes but it's just not like planet of the apes, it's a lot like conquest of the planet of the apes story wise but tonally it's more like escape from the planet of the apes

• Jul 09, 2019

A very well polished movie.

A very well polished movie.

• Jul 08, 2019

A good breath of fresh air to a franchise that has its ups and downs. John Lithgow gives a convincing performance. CGI in this is pretty good. Overall worth it to atleast rent this.

• Jun 12, 2019

Two words: stupid monkey.

Two words: stupid monkey.

• Jun 07, 2019

this is the best remake for any more franchise ever created

this is the best remake for any more franchise ever created

• May 02, 2019

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes", released in 2011, follows a scientist who utilizes a new drug to cure his sickened father, that has also given his chimpanzee intelligence. This film was full of the feels. I enjoyed the many different facets that it had to offer from the suspense to the heartache of Will's dad's suffering. To me, this film is a little sci-fi and a little drama and seems to be within its own genre. Regarding the writing, seeing that Will's dad has dementia immediately endears you to him. Whatever happens in the film from that point on, you're incredibly empathetic because you see that he's having such a hard time. As much as I didn't agree with some of Will's choices as a character, I could understand why he did them. One of my favorite shots in terms of directing was where Caesar is first climbing a redwood. It's great because we are able to see Caesar from his own perspective, as well as from everyone else's perspective. We're also able to see the evolution of the ape over time and see him grow as he swings through the trees. One sequence that I thought presented an interesting editing choice was when Caesar shows the dad how to properly use a fork. We see the dad try and fail, and then Caesar steps in and flips the fork for him and shows him how to properly use it. It was such a subtle moment, but it said so much about where the dad was at with his disease, and where Caesar was at with his intelligence. John Lithgow is just a phenomenal actor always and truly makes the film for me. His performance as the dad is so heart-wrenching, watching him struggle through life. An example of this is when he hopped into the neighbor's car thinking he would have a joy ride and was immediately disjointed and didn't know where he was or what he was doing. Throughout the film, the cinematography was so beautiful. There's a scene in particular where they discover that Caesar is special by seeing that he has the same green flecks in his eyes that his mother has that are suggestive of the meds that she was given. The shot zooms right into his eye, and it's so colorful and vivid. Overall, the sound design was also very well done. In the beginning of the film, when the men come to attack the apes â" there's this great collective roar of the apes and the men's screams. The levels are so well-balanced all throughout the film, and I feel like this is a great example of that.

• Mar 09, 2019

Very good movie. Great CGI.

Very good movie. Great CGI.

• Mar 03, 2019

A smart prequel to one of cinemas most famous efforts, Ride of the Planet of the Apes showcases excellent acting and impressive CGI, promising that Caesar's story will only get more interesting.

• Feb 12, 2019

Andy Serkis is excellent as can be, and the CGI while dated now can still provide plenty of emotion and entertaining action scenes, but script wise Rise never lives up the legacy of the original, painting too much of the black and white tropes the original's sequels fell into.

• Jan 10, 2019

Usually reboots annoy me, but this one really did it perfectly. It told the basis of the Apes tale, but changed it enough that the original series and the reboot series feel completely separate; even the personalities of Andy Serkis' Caesar and Roddy McDowall's Caesar are very different. Bravo, fantastic film.