Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

½ January 21, 2018
Rise of the planet of the apes is the first in a trilogy of the remake of Planet of the Apes 2011. As a reboot, it does a good job of laying the foundation of the next two movies, the CGI is good, and the characters are engaging, there are a few scenes that are a bit confusing, such as when the vet girl friend apparently doesn't realize that the exceptionally talented ape Caesar has been genetically modified by experiments from her boyfriend, the "oh how could you' moment is a bit unbelievable, and some of the scenes are a bit predictable. But the unique flip of roles in a scene in this movie borrowed from the classic "Planet of the Apes" is very creative and fun to watch. Over all it falls way short of the sheer genius of the original but an enjoyable movie. 3 stars.
January 21, 2018
This re-boot of the series came across great, with lots of action and drama. Franco does well in the lead role, making us truly feel as though he cares for the apes. The effects are great and look very realistic.
½ January 19, 2018
The only 'Planet of the Apes' franchise film I have ever seen is the Burton 're-imagining' and I quite like that version as it was visually stunning and a good fun adventure. Right from the start you could tell this new film was a completely different animal altogether...no pun intended. The comicbook-ish approach has gone and we now have a much more serious sci-fi on a grander more epic scale.

The visual effects on the apes during the character build up and introduction of 'Caesar' was slightly off in my opinion, it was good but there wasn't much of a wow factor going on. The faces did look a bit plastic and too obviously CGI, but as the film progresses and the apes become more aware with Caesar growing in intelligence, it seems the CGI gets better at the same time. By the time Caesar is really plotting his escape and takeover the CGI on his face and entire overall body movement is really quite impressive. This goes for all the other chimps and apes too, especially the gorilla and orangutan which really look fantastic up close along with their body and hand movements.

The plot is decent and a good ride, it starts off slow no doubting that, and there is a lot of character and story building with the experiments and slow evolution of Caesar. At first I was getting a little twitchy I must admit but the story does eventually get a hold of you and I did find myself really getting into it quite quickly. What is nice is the fact they have tried for a clean reboot with a fresh new plot, sort of. Instead of just remaking the original films they have gone with a new approach that has ties with the original films (mainly the fourth one), thus giving a relatively new and fresh aspect to the franchise which was important.

Honestly the human side of the film is rather boring with Franco and Pinto not really gelling whilst Cox and Lithgow are merely background props (good props I might add) which disappear very quickly. Its all about the apes and for most of the run time your just itching for those apes to break free and kick some homosapien ass! When they eventually do its well worth your money as the finale will get your heart pounding as you cheer for the apes to reach freedom. Those damn dirty humans are in their way but luckily we see some great man stomping...but with intelligent action.

What was impressive was how Caesar would not let his fellow primates kill humans needlessly, of course a few do bite the dust but if Caesar was around he didn't want it. Whether that is to show he has evolved and won't sink to that level or the creators just wanted a family friendly film rating I don't know, but it worked well as a character development for the main ape.

The finale is really the cherry on the icing on the cake! a full blown Hominidae rampage through San Francisco with lots of very well realised chimps, one gorilla and an orangutan. It is good that the film doesn't resort to lots of guns and masses of apes being killed, there is a small element of that but it doesn't get over blown with silliness which is good to see. One or two moments of Hollywood craziness perhaps, when the gorilla leaps onto a chopper from the Golden Gate Bridge, and the use of that certain iconic piece of dialog (again!), does that really need to be used again simply because its a 'Planet of the Apes' franchise film?

One of the best films of the year so far for sure, its actually been constructed with some level of intelligence behind it creating a solid foundation. Fits in well with the original franchise films, a decent musical score to evoke emotion with heights of achievement and it has a good ending...although slightly leaning towards a roaring iconic '2001: Space Odyssey' grandiose type finish. kinda manages it to believe it or not!
January 13, 2018
here you go..

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

A solid start offering gripping screenplay, some tight action and well developed characters Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a gift especially by Andy Serkis.
January 9, 2018
While the visuals are fairly impressive, they pale in comparison to the effects the sequels achieved. The pacing and story are very immersive and Andy Serkis completely owns the role of Caesar, however, the human element, ironically is far less interesting than the story of the apes and the film picks up greatly by the second act.

B+
December 31, 2017
This movie is not only epic and enthralling- It is also breathtaking.
December 27, 2017
(79/100)
A great start to a great trilogy.
December 22, 2017
As a childhood fan of the originals (and tv series), this reboot did not disappoint. Its update fits perfect in today's cinema 50 years later.. Really enjoyed the film.
December 21, 2017
a really solid reboot. James franco did a wonderful job
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Mucho más realista, ideal para sus fines comerciales. Excelentes efectos visuales y una entrañable historia.
December 11, 2017
Going from the safety of home to prison life without all the unnecessary philosophical talk is a complement to the amazing motion capture.
½ December 2, 2017
An unexpectedly strong beginning to a rebooted franchise, 'Rise' boasts great performances from its talented cast as well as a believable and intriguing narrative.
November 12, 2017
From not expecting much when I first viewed this film I was pleasantly surprised to find a well thought out Sci-Fi film. A good start to this franchise and a s string performance from James Franco.
½ November 6, 2017
I'll admit, SOME of the CGI is a little noticeable, but most of it was great, just like the rest of the movie.
November 3, 2017
March 16th 2014
December 5th 2014
October 30th 2017
½ October 25, 2017
A rare case of a reboot that improves upon its predecessors, Rise of the Planet of the Apes dives gracefully into the nature/culture dichotomy under Rupert Wyatt's spotless direction and groundbreaking visual effects.
½ October 19, 2017
I'm fully aware of the fact that the science in this film is implausible and there are a couple of genre cliches sprinkled throughout, but man, do I love this film so much. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is one of the better reboots/origin stories of a beloved film franchise, an impressive and enthralling piece of first-class entertainment that is smart, exciting, visually spectacular, and absolutely thought-provoking. The incredible marriage of performance-capture technology and visual effects is nothing short of a miracle; the effects are so seamlessly, and effortlessly, done that I was just consistently in awe of its technical wizardry. But perhaps the one aspect of the film that doesn't get enough credit is its emotional story and the strange father-and-son relationship between Caesar and James Franco's character. You believe in their relationship and you genuinely want the best for these characters, and that is what makes this film so emotionally engaging. Sure, Frida Pinto doesn't get to do much and Brian Cox kind of hangs around in the background (assuming he had a nice paycheck), but that doesn't stop me from loving the film. Big fan!
October 12, 2017
One of the better movies I've seen in a long time!
October 10, 2017
Connected to the 1960s and 70s franchise only by its title, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" brings an entirely new dynamic than the one present in the Charlton Heston film, while also promising an exciting franchise of its own.