Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Reviews

½ April 12, 2018
Quite a revitalization of a long-suffering franchise. The visuals are excellent (the performance capture in particular, thanks in no small part to the mastery of the legendary Andy Serkis) and the cast and score are very good. The writers have reworked the themes and plot of Boulle's text into the new storyline and characters in an intriguing manner but without the philosophical and emotional heft of the 1968 film. The action definitely helps a lot, especially the excellent climax at the bridge.
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
I haven't seen any of the other Planet of the Apes movies, but from what ive heard of the plot of those movies, this movie, though it has the name "Planet of the Apes" in its title, it is almost not connected to the others. It bares the same main monkey from the other films but it has a very different ending than how the human race went extinct in the older films, but I'm not gonna spoil it. I have to say one thing about this movie, you will never look at monkeys the same way, because these monkeys, THESE MONKEYS ARE F*CKING SCARY!!!! Seriously, next to "Cowboys and Aliens" I have not jumped out of my seat this much this year, And all that is pulled off wonderfully by Andy Serkis, who was the cg model inspiration and voice for King kong in the 2005 remake, and for Gollum/Smeagol in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and here it is no exception. James Franco (Spider-man trilogy, 127 Hours) also does a fantastic performance as the main character, a scientist who tests on chimps who finds the cure for Alzheimer's by making a type of drug that will rebuild brain cells and he tests this on monkeys making them much more intelligent and on his father, John Lithgow (Shrek) who is dying of the disease. There are also several well pulled off cameos or somewhat bit parts for this movie, if you guys are fans of Harry Potter it has the same guy who plays the douche-bag Draco Malfoy, and guess what he's even worse in this film, and for you X-men fans, it has the dude who plays Stryker in this film. The action is also very well pulled off, there isn't much but when it starts happening, it is fantastic. The film does have one real big flaw to me, the film just starts to lose its edge after the first 40 minutes, but that's not a bad thing, it doesn't ruin the film, it just slows the film down a bit, but it just lowers the rating of the film from a 4 out of 5 to a 3.5. Its definitely not the worst film ive seen this year, but im just saying it is pretty slow for 1 hour and 43 minutes. Also don't take a younger child to see it because, 4 of the trailers that play made me jump out of my seat, so it'll make your little kids have the crap scared out of them before the movie even starts. Also the music is fantastic in this movie, it isn't very noticeable at firsts, but near the end it gets really fast paced and awesome to listen to. So if you guys are looking for a different change of pace for a summer movie check this film out, its not great, but its popcorn entertainment.

My rating
3.5 *s out of 5
½ March 25, 2018
Overall, the film was a good, not brilliant, good start to the new rebooted 'Planet of the Apes' series. I'm hoping that 'Dawn' and 'War' are going to be better than this film. I rate the film a 7/10.
February 5, 2018
Interesting. Well made. I enjoyed it..
½ February 2, 2018
I enjoy watching this series, but find the apes far more emotive than the people.
½ January 21, 2018
Rise of the planet of the apes is the first in a trilogy of the remake of Planet of the Apes 2011. As a reboot, it does a good job of laying the foundation of the next two movies, the CGI is good, and the characters are engaging, there are a few scenes that are a bit confusing, such as when the vet girl friend apparently doesn't realize that the exceptionally talented ape Caesar has been genetically modified by experiments from her boyfriend, the "oh how could you' moment is a bit unbelievable, and some of the scenes are a bit predictable. But the unique flip of roles in a scene in this movie borrowed from the classic "Planet of the Apes" is very creative and fun to watch. Over all it falls way short of the sheer genius of the original but an enjoyable movie. 3 stars.
January 21, 2018
This re-boot of the series came across great, with lots of action and drama. Franco does well in the lead role, making us truly feel as though he cares for the apes. The effects are great and look very realistic.
½ January 19, 2018
The only 'Planet of the Apes' franchise film I have ever seen is the Burton 're-imagining' and I quite like that version as it was visually stunning and a good fun adventure. Right from the start you could tell this new film was a completely different animal altogether...no pun intended. The comicbook-ish approach has gone and we now have a much more serious sci-fi on a grander more epic scale.

The visual effects on the apes during the character build up and introduction of 'Caesar' was slightly off in my opinion, it was good but there wasn't much of a wow factor going on. The faces did look a bit plastic and too obviously CGI, but as the film progresses and the apes become more aware with Caesar growing in intelligence, it seems the CGI gets better at the same time. By the time Caesar is really plotting his escape and takeover the CGI on his face and entire overall body movement is really quite impressive. This goes for all the other chimps and apes too, especially the gorilla and orangutan which really look fantastic up close along with their body and hand movements.

The plot is decent and a good ride, it starts off slow no doubting that, and there is a lot of character and story building with the experiments and slow evolution of Caesar. At first I was getting a little twitchy I must admit but the story does eventually get a hold of you and I did find myself really getting into it quite quickly. What is nice is the fact they have tried for a clean reboot with a fresh new plot, sort of. Instead of just remaking the original films they have gone with a new approach that has ties with the original films (mainly the fourth one), thus giving a relatively new and fresh aspect to the franchise which was important.

Honestly the human side of the film is rather boring with Franco and Pinto not really gelling whilst Cox and Lithgow are merely background props (good props I might add) which disappear very quickly. Its all about the apes and for most of the run time your just itching for those apes to break free and kick some homosapien ass! When they eventually do its well worth your money as the finale will get your heart pounding as you cheer for the apes to reach freedom. Those damn dirty humans are in their way but luckily we see some great man stomping...but with intelligent action.

What was impressive was how Caesar would not let his fellow primates kill humans needlessly, of course a few do bite the dust but if Caesar was around he didn't want it. Whether that is to show he has evolved and won't sink to that level or the creators just wanted a family friendly film rating I don't know, but it worked well as a character development for the main ape.

The finale is really the cherry on the icing on the cake! a full blown Hominidae rampage through San Francisco with lots of very well realised chimps, one gorilla and an orangutan. It is good that the film doesn't resort to lots of guns and masses of apes being killed, there is a small element of that but it doesn't get over blown with silliness which is good to see. One or two moments of Hollywood craziness perhaps, when the gorilla leaps onto a chopper from the Golden Gate Bridge, and the use of that certain iconic piece of dialog (again!), does that really need to be used again simply because its a 'Planet of the Apes' franchise film?

One of the best films of the year so far for sure, its actually been constructed with some level of intelligence behind it creating a solid foundation. Fits in well with the original franchise films, a decent musical score to evoke emotion with heights of achievement and it has a good ending...although slightly leaning towards a roaring iconic '2001: Space Odyssey' grandiose type finish. kinda manages it to believe it or not!
January 13, 2018
here you go..

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

A solid start offering gripping screenplay, some tight action and well developed characters Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is a gift especially by Andy Serkis.
January 9, 2018
While the visuals are fairly impressive, they pale in comparison to the effects the sequels achieved. The pacing and story are very immersive and Andy Serkis completely owns the role of Caesar, however, the human element, ironically is far less interesting than the story of the apes and the film picks up greatly by the second act.

B+
December 31, 2017
This movie is not only epic and enthralling- It is also breathtaking.
December 27, 2017
(79/100)
A great start to a great trilogy.
December 22, 2017
As a childhood fan of the originals (and tv series), this reboot did not disappoint. Its update fits perfect in today's cinema 50 years later.. Really enjoyed the film.
December 21, 2017
a really solid reboot. James franco did a wonderful job
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Mucho más realista, ideal para sus fines comerciales. Excelentes efectos visuales y una entrañable historia.
December 11, 2017
Going from the safety of home to prison life without all the unnecessary philosophical talk is a complement to the amazing motion capture.
½ December 2, 2017
An unexpectedly strong beginning to a rebooted franchise, 'Rise' boasts great performances from its talented cast as well as a believable and intriguing narrative.
November 12, 2017
From not expecting much when I first viewed this film I was pleasantly surprised to find a well thought out Sci-Fi film. A good start to this franchise and a s string performance from James Franco.
½ November 6, 2017
I'll admit, SOME of the CGI is a little noticeable, but most of it was great, just like the rest of the movie.
November 3, 2017