Robin Hood Reviews

• 4d ago

At this point I’m so bored with the story of Robin Hood that sitting through this movie was a tedious prospect to begin with. It’s another attempt to reinvent the character, and yet it just feels the same as every other time people have tried, and this time it’s more than 2 hours long! Perhaps the biggest fatal flaw in this film is that the last scene suddenly reveals that we have been watching a glorified prequel for what we normally would consider the story of Robin Hood. Not only are prequels stupid, but this one was told so poorly that I never realized that was happening. Through most of the film they hit the same beats and introduced the same characters as you would see in any other movie about Robin Hood, so the fact that it wasn’t even the real story makes it feel false and misleading. Perhaps if I knew going in that this was a prequel my expectations would have been set properly, since all prequels suck, I would have expected a terrible film, and it wouldn’t have been so terribly disappointing. Of course, because it’s directed by Ridley Scott there are redeeming qualities. It looks high quality, as there are some beautiful shots in the film. It has a decent score from Marc Streitenfeld. It has an amazing cast of actors aside from the lead. Russell Crowe gives his same boring stoic performance that lacks any acting skill. Just a stony gaze with occasional confusion. I wish he would stick to comedies, because at least we get a few different facial expressions and a change in line delivery with a movie like The Nice Guys. The battle scenes feel epic even if they are utterly ridiculous. The wrap-up of the final battle made me laugh out loud involuntarily because it was so ludicrous how things were resolved. It’s one of those stupid prequel contrivances where they need things to end a certain way in order for them to get to the start of the next story, but they can’t figure out how to make that happen in a logical way, so they just have nonsense that will conveniently connect the dots. I’m sure Robin Hood isn’t as bad as it felt to me. But between my fatigue for the story, the excessive length of the film, and the horrible decision to make this a prequel, I just hated watching it.

• Aug 15, 2019

Love Ridley Scott's films, and this one is no exception. An interesting take on the classic story, which also serves as a sort of chronoligical, if not stylistic, followup to the often maligned Kingdom of Heaven. Great performances, and a story that just seems to be getting started until critics sank their teeth into it. Wishing for a follow up, which probably won't happen.

• Aug 12, 2019

Loved it, up until the ending, there's no sequel to it ofc so viewers are left to wonder how Robin stole from the rich and gave to the poor

• Aug 10, 2019

Ridley Scott reimagines Robin Hood as a realistic medieval archer! Director Ridley Scott's Robin Hood (2010) is a dark, brutal, and gritty reimagining of the English folk hero Robin Hood. Robin of Locksley is turned into a common archer for King Richard the Lionheart, who leaves to Nottingham to start a new life. I found the action thrilling with epic battles and neat encounters. The brief reprieve of humor is often quite funny, if not very clever. Scott's crew recreates medieval England with realistic villages, armor, clothing, weapons, farms, and societal structure. You feel like you are stuck with Robin during a tumultuous tough time to live in England. Scott's style is refreshing and gripping, while often straying too dark in the dim lighting. If his lighting crew had brightened the images and saturated the colors more, Robin Hood might have engaged audiences more. The story is dreary, yet compelling with a war fatigued Robin returning to England to save his people from French invasion. The faded grey color palette just tunes you out too much; however, this effect works towards making you feel like you're watching medieval England in the 12th century. Russell Crowe is awesome in Robin Hood. I wish he got to use his bow and arrow more as every time he dons his iconic longbow, you are dazzles with a killer shot. Crowe is cool as a hero with a gripping dramatic appeal. As Crowe recites a rousing speech to rally his men, you are always engaged in the moment. His strength, courage, and honor as a character are apparent. Notably, Crowe does not go for the casual, charming, and suave Robin Hood like the iconic Errol Flynn portrayal, nor the sillier depiction by Kevin Costner or Cary Elwes. Russell Crowe aims for total serious grit and grandeur. His sword thrusts and war hammer stabs are as brusque as Crowe's gruff manner. Robin Hood sees Russell Crowe continuing his fantastic run of films from the late 1990's with L.A. Confidential and The Insider through the 2000's decade with Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Master & Commander, Cinderella Man, A Good Year, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, State of Play, and The Next Three Days. Cate Blanchett is great as Mariane with a ferocious and forward performance. Her chemistry with Russell Crowe is fun and symbiotic. Lea Seydoux is lovely and intriguing with what little she is given. I am impressed by Eileen Atkins as the Queen mother with her powerful presence and opinions. Oscar Isaac is perfectly cast as the easy to hate King John. Max von Sydow is wonderful as the elder mentor and father figure for Russell Crowe. Sydow is marvelous at expressing emotion. Furthermore, William Hurt is wise as Mark Strong is cruel, both playing mighty supporting characters that compel you anytime they are on screen. Kevin Durand and Matthew Macfadyen are funny as Little John and the Sheriff of Nottingham, respectively. Overall, Robin Hood excels thanks to its strong cast and Ridley Scott's ambitious direction. The few faults being some of the lighting and writing could have been better. I think more people will look back fondly at Ridley Scott's Robin Hood over time as it is very well made.

• Aug 02, 2019

Great cast, great action, great story arch. I thought it was cool that Russell cast 2 of his buddies from Mystery Alaska in it. Its the type of movie I will watch multiple times. No weak links in the cast, the story kept moving, I really enjoyed it!

• Aug 02, 2019

I cannot tell you what this movie was about. Russell Crowe couldn't save it

I cannot tell you what this movie was about. Russell Crowe couldn't save it

• Jun 30, 2019

Good story line, well executed, very good cast, worked for me.

Good story line, well executed, very good cast, worked for me.

• Jun 16, 2019

Scott, Crowe, Blanchett are fine but not brilliant.

Scott, Crowe, Blanchett are fine but not brilliant.

• Jun 03, 2019

A great telling of a familiar often told legend. A powerful cast does a great job in this film that has great action scenes. I highly recommend watching this film.

• May 13, 2019

For a film called Robin Hood, there is very little Robin-type adventures in this. Little hooding too...