Rocky Balboa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky Balboa Reviews

½ January 6, 2017
Cuando sea grande quiero ser cómo Rocky!!
January 2, 2017
incredibly humane and grounded. filled with great scenes. what a great character rocky is.... didn't really care about the boxing part too much in fact. and the father-son thing did not work for me... otherwise it will be one of my favourite
December 21, 2016
After so many years and awful sequels, it is a wonderful surprise to see that this sixth Rocky movie is almost on par with the original one in terms of quality, since Stallone seems to have finally understood that what made that film so memorable was the human drama, not the punches.
November 21, 2016
Simple story, but typical Rocky pace and energy. A nice close (almost) to the franchise.
½ November 3, 2016
I was shocked at how good it was, Rocky should of been left alone at number 4 but this proved that theory wrong!
½ October 28, 2016
It is definitely one of the better sequels in the series. It does pretty much follow the formula you've seen countless times, but it is still fun this time around. I think it handles the family drama much better than the 5th one does which was good. The story is formulaic and it isn't a necessary sequel but it is certainly a fun one that pays tribute to the whole series. Overall it is an enjoyable sports movie that fans should find enjoyment watching.
October 23, 2016
A satisfying conclusion to the series.
½ October 16, 2016
It wins largely due to nostalgia, but Rocky Balboa delivers almost the same amount of heart that the first film is known for, along with another amiable performance from Stallone.
October 15, 2016
Rocky V was supposed to be the last movie in the franchise. But since people didn't like Rocky V he wanted to make one more. This movie wasn't called Rocky VI. Sylvester Stallone named it Rocky Balboa because he wanted people to know this was the last one. But there is still one more. This movie was made 16 years after the fifth one. Rocky Balboa starts with Adrian dead. Rocky sits there with a stool next to her grave because he doesn't have anybody. Paulie still lives with him. Rocky meets little merie from the first movie (Rocky.) Rocky takes her home. Rocky meets her kid Steps. Then Rocky gets a dog. he names it Punchey. Along the way Rocky's son is having a hards time with his job. Then people set up a computer fight Between Rocky and Marsion Dixon the champ. Rocky win the computer fight. Rocky sees it and wants to fight him. He trains with the song Gonna Fly Now and once again runs up the art museum steps. he fights him. At the end not even caring if he won or not Rocky is glad that he fighted him. This movie is great and has some great quotes in them to. I give this movie a 9/10 it was good but not as good as the first or second movie.
½ October 3, 2016
I loved this movie. Having recently marathon-ed the Rocky series and its many attempts to recapture the lightning in a bottle of the first, Rocky Balboa is finally able to bring it back to being character-driven, human drama. Talia Shire (not that she was THAT great an actor to begin with) and Carl Weathers are missed, but the returning duo of Stallone and Burt Young keep it feeling firmly like a Rocky film. Moreover, the inner city setting feels modern in the way it must have 40 years prior, with its dilapidated housing and increasingly diverse make up (something I very much praise this movie for). Perhaps the best thing about Rocky Balboa, though, is that it does something only the best of these films were able to - make the climactic boxing match feel like a fight for survival against impossible odds, in which your heart races waiting for Rocky to stop taking such a pounding to turn the tide and give it back to his opponent.

Plus, I could watch this scene every day: "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winnin' is done!"
½ September 9, 2016
Middle of the road Rocky film, slow start but comes together in the end.
September 7, 2016
Was alright, despite the premise being a little silly, Rocky Balboa wasn't cheesy like some of the previous Rocky movies. That said the film was rather bland overall. Nothing really interested me, not Rocky's motivation to fight again, not his antagonist in the ring, not Paulie or his kid and certainly not that woman and her son he befriends. The fight at the end might have been the poorest in the series as well, I felt none of the intensity of the previous ones, especially when compared to Rocky's two bouts against Apollo Creed.

Still though a disappointment, it is good enough that I was at least mildy interested so can give a positive rating, perhaps would be more fun for a true fan of the Rocky films.
½ September 6, 2016
It was sure nice to see another installment. Much improved over 5, better than 3, but far from 1,2, and 4.
September 6, 2016
Delivers a lot of what we already expect from the franchise, but pretty good overall
September 3, 2016
A much different style and tone than all of the other Rocky movies have. Too sappy and the emotional music was kind of lame. It was OK, but I still don't understand the idea or point of this film. Who wants to watch an old Rocky fight and not even win? (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
September 1, 2016
And you thought it was all over? Nope. Rocky is back for the final and 6th film in the Rocky saga. Its been 16 years since we last saw Rocky in Rocky V (1990). Rocky's manager Mickey Goldmill died in Rocky III (1982), Apollo Creed died in Rocky IV (1985), and sadly we learn that Adrian also died from Cancer in 2002. Rocky has been retired for nearly 16 years and now runs his own restaurant a.k.a. Adrian's.

Rocky is still dealing with the death of his wife, and the current rift between him and his adult son Robert. Rocky spends his days running his restaurant and telling stories of his glory days.

There's still something inside of Rocky that's bothering him, that he just can't let go. In his late 50s, Rocky once again wants to get back inside the ring, but his son thinks he's crazy. Paulie is back and is behind rocky. After seeing a computer bout on ESPN between Rocky and current champion Mason "The Line" Dixon (real life boxer Antonio Tarver) many question what would happen if there was a real bout between Rocky and Dixon.

Rocky once again (with Robert finally behind him) gets back inside the ring in a exhibition match against Dixon, and in the end, it's not about winning, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep getting up, and how much you can take and get back up. In the end Rocky takes a lot, and still gets back up. Another wonderful film to end The Rocky saga. . . 30 years later.
July 30, 2016
An extremely charming sequel that completely re-hyped the franchise. Rocky Balboa deals with the loss of Adrian beautifully while also making the characters from the original films just as likeable and influential while adding a few new ones. We actually understand the opponents motivations for once as well as it isn't just money. Furthermore, it's great to watch Rocky kick arse one more time. Even if he is in his 50s.
jamrcla
July 18, 2016
Brilliant return to the ring as I was worried when I first heard about this but turns out i love it, Well acted by all the cast and Stallone looks pretty good for his age, The training montage and the fight were classic rocky but more realistic and worked very well, Our fears are pit aside as Rocky Balboa stands tall with the classics.