Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews

Boring like Star Wars
½ August 16, 2017
The ending was unexpected and sad but it did a great job in preparing Star Wars 4: A New Hope. I liked how the main characters actually hated each other (hate might be a strong word, just mutual dislike).
½ August 16, 2017
Compared to 'The Force Awakens', this is an entirely different beast with a darker, grittier and far less camp tone. The plot is simple and what tension there could have been is somewhat lost due to the outcome being known, but Edwards works with what he has and executes it well with beautifully shot visuals and action sequences that are a thrill to watch. The cast is stellar, but their talents are unfortunately wasted on rather bland characters that have hardly any back story or development throughout making it difficult to establish any sort of deeper connection to them. It also has to be said that the film is very light on some of the more well-known elements such as Jedi, Sith, The Force etc., something that may upset and disappoint a lot of hardcore fans, but is also entirely fitting considering the focus of the story: the Rebels. At the end of the day, 'Rogue One' is less of a Star Wars story and more of a war story with a Star Wars twist and, as such, feels like a more mature entry into the franchise that manages to stay true to the original films whilst simultaneously changing the whole atmosphere to create something unique and entertaining. With a better script, it could have been the best of them all.
August 15, 2017
A riveting spin-off including a sense of humor.
August 15, 2017
This is a good addition to the Star Wars series, we didn't need this movie, but were happy we got it, it has good characters, a solid story, and awesome editing
½ August 15, 2017
Not that bad. I quite enjoyed it. Even though I really don't care for star wars that much. However, the characters were very flat, boring, and forgettable.
Well made, different feel
Not great, not terrible
½ August 14, 2017
Great movie, far more better than SW VII. Event filled in some gaps from the old movies, nicely done.
it a lovely story full with Excitement and Adventures

simply Amazing
August 14, 2017
The first exciting Star Wars movie since the Empire Strikes Back, and this one had the most heart of any of them. Definitely steared towards an older crowd, which I really appreciated. It made me a Star Wars fan again!
August 14, 2017
A great War movie set in the Star Wars universe. The characters are well fleshed out, the special effects are (as expected) incredible. The storyline is predictable, but this is unavoidable considering it takes place between episode 3 and 4. Although I'm still conflicted about the purpose of this movie in the franchise (asides pleasing the fans), it remains a solid, good movie.
½ August 13, 2017
[SPOILERS] I did not have high expectations for this film. And despite having arguably the greatest scene in the entire saga (Darth Vader VS The Rebels) my expectations were honoured. This film is comprised of 45% clichà (C), 45% plain character awfulness and 10% decency. It doesn't take a genius to spot the clichà (C)s in this film, particularly within the first five or so minutes. I actually feel genuine hatred for Jyn Erso. I can't warm to her at all, she has an antisocial personality which isolates her from the audience. Possibly my biggest issue with this this film is its existence. People argue that it is needed to clarify the weak spot in the Death Star, but this could have been provided by a throw away line in any 'Star Wars' film, Episode IV onwards.

Still though, I will never forget my sheer joy at watching Erso's death. Brilliant!
½ August 12, 2017
I remember seeing this film I uttered Garbage 10 minutes into it. It is one of the worst movies ever made.
½ August 12, 2017
It's kinda sad when a bunch of unknown people had to die, had to sacrifice themselves in this way so Leia and the Rebellion could have eventually destroyed the Death Star in 1977 "Star Wars", a bunch of little, yet important, characters (even not everyone being well built) that weren't remembered by anyone in the following years of the struggle against the Empire. But anyway, "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is a good movie and a good starter of the anthology/origins Star Wars "film series".
½ August 12, 2017
This is actually my favorite Star Wars movie plot wise. I'm aware that many will disagree, but this film nails everything perfectly. The comical moments did not feel out of place, and the character development was spot on. Not only does it set up episodes 4, 5, and 6 well it also gives you a heroic story of triumph and loss.

This is a great film for Star Wars buffs, film fans, or just those who like a good action flick.

Star Rating: 4.5/5

Number Rating: 8.9/10
½ August 11, 2017
It was a disappointment. Good parts, but somehow a pastiche of a better film. More worryingly, it's a clear trend towards a "dark side" in the franchise. I've always felt that Star Wars was such a success partly because it was a bold antidote to the almost universally miserable "noir" films of the era. For one thing, excepting Obi Wan, the main characters survived and rejoiced in that! Tastes change and we've a generally dark taste in plots at the minute, hence films like Blood Father, but speaking personally, it would be a real shame to see more of an undermining of the bright (if often thrilling and "dangerous" genre) SPOILER Having pretty much all the characters obliterated was, in my opinion, a significant error, although I suppose seeing them survive, but not being in the later films, was a significant hidden motive.
½ August 11, 2017
Superb entry in the Star Wars franchise, mainly due to the fact the filmmakers have shown a willingness to take the story in more serious & darker directions. The cast is excellent across the board, with Felicity Jones making another excellent Star Wars heroine while Ben Mendelson is solid as the villainous Director Krennic. The scene-stealer, though, as Alan Tudyk as the droid K-2SO, whose dry wit & matter of fact way of speaking delivers most of the films best lines. Combined with some outstanding performance capture work, you forget he's a CGI creation. Behind the camera, Gareth Edwards delivers on his original intention of making a gritty war film in the Star Wars universe, with our heroes making some difficult choices while many don't make it out. Granted, since Disney wants to keep this franchise PG-13 at best, it not as dark as most, but for Star Wars, it's the grittiest the franchise has seen, and impressive in the consequences our heroes face. It even fixes some plot-holes from "New Hope", particularly one about the Death Star that has plagued fans for decades. It does go overboard with the cameos, as some are distracting, though others work perfectly (Darth Vader's appearance is brief but epic, only adding to the legend of his character). Overall, another great Star Wars film from Disney that, dare I say it, is better than "Force Awakens".
August 11, 2017
Fresh, bold, and exciting. Gareth Edwards does a really great job with this spinoff/prequel hybrid. The entire cast, save for a glaringly cringey Forest Whitaker, was excellent. I could do with a few less Felicity Jones pep-talks, but the second half of the film lets her character flex her muscles. The second half is the better of the two, and it really ends on a great note, with easter eggs, fan service, and beauty all crammed into its 130 minutes runtime.