Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews

September 21, 2018
Arguably, in my personal opinion, the best revival of the Star Wars Saga thus far. The in depth characterization, and the amazing script truly makes this film a hit. Even though it doesn't have lightsaber battles, this movie is truly one of a know kind.
½ September 20, 2018
Not a movie I watch often because the first half kind of drags. But the second half makes up for it with a great war scene and space battles on and above Scarrif.
September 18, 2018
An enjoyable film with a sad yet hopeful ending...it sets up A New Hope so well.
September 17, 2018
The first half is a little slow and overall there are too many characters for any to feel very developed but the cinematography and effects are very good, the story, especially in the latter half, has good pacing and makes you feel excited when the action starts.

The action is very well put together, exciting and presents a tone and style unseen in previous star wars films; proving that a more grisly action focused star wars film is possible.
½ September 17, 2018
Eh, its ok, not the greatest or what you would expect from Star Wars, this is where I really started to get scared at where Disney is taking this amazing story line.
September 17, 2018
A proper Star Wars after a long time ....
½ September 17, 2018
This movie is the definition of fan service. However, it works. The sets are amazing, the characters are very well done despite not having much time to truly flesh them out and the story does a great job of answering some interesting questions produced by the original trilogy. Creating a different narrative for this film, the director and producers were able to make a compelling story that even die hard Star Wars fans can appreciate and learn to love as much as the Skywalker saga. Also, that ending sequence with Darth Vader is epic and would turn even the most mediocre Star Wars film into a top tier film.
September 16, 2018
My favorite Star Wars movie because it connected so many parts of the universe with an expendable cast. One of my biggest gripes with Star Wars is that the Imperial forces are so incompetent. In this movie they still got their butts kicked but at least it wasn't so one-sided. Also my inner nerd loved the citadel on Scarif.
September 11, 2018
The story is barely involving mainly due to such poor pacing that makes this whole movie feel very calculated. The cinematography is particularly underwhelming considering that movies like this have such high budgets.
½ September 10, 2018
Loaded with side characters with no development and a horribly bland direction, Rogue One is almost the perfect opposite of entertainment and proves that the return of Darth Vader isn't enough to save this drowning franchise.
September 9, 2018
An excellent addition to the Star Wars saga. The cinematography is terrific, and even though Tarkin's CG face drifts into the uncanny valley, it didn't at all detract from this excellent film.
September 5, 2018
Very enjoyable. A terrific look at the expanded Star Wars universe. Looking forward to seeing more of these stand alone Star Wars stories
September 3, 2018
This movie suffers from one of the same problems as "The Force Awakens", that problem being that the main character has no personality. Seriously, I've seen the movie twice and the only character trait I can think of is that she runs away except for when she doesn't. The two best things about this movie are the one liner spouting robot and the fact that all of the main characters die at the end so we won't have to put up with them in another movie.
September 3, 2018
It's okay, I just wish we could see the original war movie it was meant to be. Ruined by Disney executives like everything they touch.
September 2, 2018
The visual effects were simply stunning in the film, it was done so perfectly that it seemed utmost realistic. The plot was very entertaining, and the story was interesting and was a lovable film. The character set-up was great with the first few scenes with Jyn growing up and why she is living the way she is living right now. There were many touching moments and intense sequences that made the film worth the watch. The only problem would be Jone's rather weak acting and the writers giving Jyn a passive role in the film, which made it a little dull and instead of being active and trying to change things, we only see the changes that are occuring and how it affects Jyn.
September 1, 2018
Thrilling, dazzling and unconventional, Rogue One proves that the Star Wars universe can work reasonably well without its own common tropes.
½ August 31, 2018
With great characters, amazing effects, a strong story, and great humor, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story works on nearly every level.
August 27, 2018
The best Star Wars movie
August 26, 2018
After George Lucas cannibalized the original trilogy, this has left Rogue One as the best Star Wars movie to date. I put off watching this for years, and decided to do it up while waiting for my original series original VHS versions and used VCR to arrive, and I'm really effing surprised that it was this good.
½ August 24, 2018
When carefully analysed Rogue One is far from flawless but these flaws are quickly forgotten when watching the movie. It features a group of engaging characters on an absolute thrill - ride of a film that almost perfectly captures the feel and atmosphere of the original trilogy for me. It in fact might be my third favorite Star Wars movie of all time.