Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews

½ January 21, 2018
This one is the best of the recent bunch, but still nowhere near what it used to be.
½ January 21, 2018
This stand-alone movie introduces us to interesting new characters, ties together the saga, and gives us an original, action-packed adventure we're sure to enjoy, despite CGI Tarkin and Leia.
½ January 21, 2018
The ultimate Star Wars film for true Star Wars fans. After watching TFA I felt let down by the franchise; but this was the film I wanted all along. Rogue One delves deep into Star Wars lore with some fantastic battle scenes underpinned by a great story of triumph. For me, this film sits up there with the original trilogy. It really is that good.
January 20, 2018
Felt like Star Wars for the most part but still a lot of missed opportunities. + half a star for the Vader scene alone.
January 20, 2018
To put it short: An above average Star Wars movie.
January 20, 2018
After seeing an interview with Gareth Edwards in the BBC documentary "The galaxy Britain built" (see it on Youtube) I had to write this review. Edwards has Star Wars in his veins and it shows in Rogue1. What a catching movie and so much in line with the feel and touch of the first trilogy. For me this one comes close in quality of The empire strikes back. There are a few weak issues, so I didn't give it full 5 stars, but boy oh boy would I like to see Gareth Edwards making more Star Wars movies.
½ January 19, 2018
Stop this bullshit! For me the original Trilogy it's Star Wars. I don't need neither want to be lecture and program with leftist propaganda.
½ January 19, 2018
Largely forgettable, except for the awesome fan-service scenes with Tarking and Vader.
January 18, 2018
A great movie that gives a amazing back story to the how Princess Leia got the plans of the Death Star so the resistance could destroy it. I love this movie and is one of my favorite movies I've seen.
½ January 18, 2018
Rogue One is definitely a movie for Star Wars fans. The beginning of the movie is a bit slow, yet it adds many new things to the lore. The ending of the movie is phenomenal, and incredibly action-packed. Overall, the movie is good, and I recommend it, especially if you are a Star Wars fan.
January 18, 2018
Amazing Star Wars movie!
January 17, 2018
They knocked this one out of the park. This has been the best new installment of Star Wars out of the bunch. They did a good job with Vader.
January 17, 2018
Great movie, captured the feel and tone of the original trilogy better than any of the prequels or the new post disney films.

good believable characters, solid plot and awesome action, not alot to fault in this.
½ January 16, 2018
It's easy to be leary of this movie for a number of reasons: when it takes place, the introduction of new characters given the time period, the obvious promotion of new merchandise (what? no flamethrower? kudos if you get the reference), the lackluster production despite critical acclaim of The Force Awakens, and especially the fact that WE ALREADY KNOW what's going to happen. And yet, we so very clearly also do not.... It's actually a breath of fresh air for the Star Wars universe. Whereas Force Awakens showered us with déjà vu in terms of plot, character, development, acting, and overall stale representation of not only the universe it's suppose to represent, but simply as a movie in general, Rogue One breaks out, armed to the teeth, guns blazing bright in all their visual glory. There are a few cheesy moments, and there are some shameless plugs here and there (not to mention cringe- or, some might probably say, vomit-inducing CGI) which could easily bring down the score by half a star or more, but is mostly forgivable by the fact that unlike the movie that came one year before, you actually manage to develop sympathy for what happens to these characters. They have depth. Force Awakens was just too shallow, and given that the story and action was so poorly scripted that you could tell what was going to happen several minutes before it did, made for a horribly boring experience. Rogue One is entirely the opposite, and a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe. Even if I still have a hard time buying the ending... I mean there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to... well, you'll see when you watch it....
January 16, 2018
just wanted to review this movie positively because this was a great Star Wars...not the last Jedi. goes to show you dont need a lightsaber battle or even an original cast to make a film....just have a good freaking story jeez rian. Johnson...do u have no imagination or soul?
January 16, 2018
That's how you pay homage to a franchise and develop a character's backstory. There is not only obstacles to overcome but inner demons to overcome. The characters had, well, character. They all felt unique and the interactions between them didn't feel forced like in The Last Jedi. Also, Jyn feels real. You care about her by witnessing her struggles. She's not a Mary Sue like Rey who easily overcomes all obstacles set to her. She doesn't always make the right decisions. She is human. I loved this movie.
½ January 16, 2018
Loved the movie. Despite some character flaws, it paid respect to originals and gave really thrilling story, with some nice fan service.
½ January 16, 2018
85% for me, was good entertainment and a decent spin off movie and storyline. Not quite as good as The Force Awakens, but light years ahead and better than The Last Jedi.
January 16, 2018
I really enjoyed Rogue One... especially the last 15 minutes of the film (brilliant!). The story was really well done and the acting was excellent. Great job!
½ January 15, 2018
As a kid, it's no secret like many, I was obsessed with Star Wars. I loved imaging the backstories of the characters and would create my own, usually with my own action figures. Watching Rouge One, the first entry outside of the official saga, it's clear Gareth Edwards and Co are fans just like this.

Rouge one takes place between Episodes III and IV, and focuses on Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) whose father Galen Erso is captured and forced to build the weapon known as The Death Star. At the start, Jyn is a prisoner who's recruited by the Rebel Alliance to contact her father and track down the plans. She's joined by Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) a dedicated alliance officer with a checkered sense of loyalty, K-2SO (Alan Tudyk) a re-programmed Imperial droid who provides much of the humor, Bodi ( Riz Ahmed) a defecting Imperial pilot, and Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen) and Baze Malbus, one a mystical force-worshipper and another his loyal side-kick. What makes Rouge One such a unique experience is how it explores a period never before seen in the franchise. It examines the tyranny and corruption of the Empire's rule first-hand, and how the galaxies withheld such oppression. We also see the inner workings of the Empire and it's politics via Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelson) as he attempts to utilize the Death Star for his own political advantage.

Where Rouge one also succeeds is in it's visuals and set-pieces. Gareth Edwards dutifully captures Luca's lived-in gritty aesthetic but still manages to contain a modern look to it. He handles the action with energy, rawness but clarity as well. The final battle on the tropical island of Sarkiff is a highlight for the franchise and there's some truly excellent space battles as well. Rogue one's action also feels a bit more urgent than that of TFA, the stakes still feel high despite knowing the outcome.

In terms of characters, Rouge One may not be as iconic as TFA but it still manages to contain some effective performances and enjoyable characters. Felicity Jones shines as Jyn Erso, providing her with the right amount of intensity, vulnerability, and humanity. Luna's Andor isn't the most charismatic addition but he instils him with an authority and ambiguity that makes him more fascinating. K-2SO is an achievement as Tudyk instills humor, sympathy and cool into what could've been a Jar-Jar esque character. Mendelssohn is wonderfully over the top as Krennic, he oozes arrogance and smarminess. Donnie Yen's Chirrut is a good mix of cheeky and mysterious and Jiang Wen's Blaze is a fitting foil. Riz Ahmed is fine as Bodi but I couldn't help feel his character was underutilized at times. Forrest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera is haunting and maniacal yet tortured as well, (though I wish his screen-time was longer). Last but certainly not least yes Darth Vader is in this movie and yes he is just how you remembered him ( one scene toward the end had me in chills).

Crafting a spin-off from the Star Wars franchise was always going to be a risky move. Rouge One could've easily fallen on it's face or worse tarnished the legacy of A New Hope. Thankfully it manages to be an thrilling, emotional, and cinematic entry for the saga. It isn't perfect, sometimes it could use more development of it's characters and it does lack some of TFA's heart and polish but like it's protagonists, Rouge One is scrappy, powerful and accomplishes it's missions despite the odds. My rating 8.5/10.