Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews

June 23, 2018
Possibly the best in the series. Huge fan. Follow every detail..
June 23, 2018
Great film and done with respect to the originals.
½ June 23, 2018
Wow. What a refreshing, dark, Star Wars movie to hold me over until the next episode comes out. Great re-watch value!
June 22, 2018
Fourth favorite Star Wars movie next to the original trilogy.
June 22, 2018
Easily one of the best Star Wars movie made to date.
June 22, 2018
Practice cancelled due to illness
June 21, 2018
4/5. Holy fan-service Batman. Apart from that and a lack of character development Rogue One is everything I wanted and more. Easily the best prequel.
½ June 21, 2018
Great movie really well written and directed. Characters were great and the Heroes save the day. Great acting and story. I have watched it about 10 times now. A must see.
½ June 20, 2018
Great film, very happy with the way the story intertwined with the saga. Never disrespected the original trilogy but still kept the story exiting. I think the only reason Disney managed to make a good Star Wars film without any Jedi or Force present is because it ties so closely into the originals. I cant see the Star Wars fandom buying into many other films without the Skywalkers or the mythology.
June 19, 2018
The only character arch is found in the droid. Best thing I couks say about this film.
June 19, 2018
The new concept of the "Star Wars Story" is a risky proposition for the now-purely-Disney-fied version of Star Wars, but with the investment they made, they are wanting to squeeze as much return as possible. Completely understandable. While everyone was thrilled to see Episode VII last year, the more I watch it, the more irritated I get at the creative laziness of it, essentially milking the same storyline from Episode IV and modernizing it. Say what you want about the weakness of the acting, dialogue and direction of the prequels, Lucas at least created an entire new trilogy that, once the Clone Wars and Rebels series were added, have become a very strong story in and of itself. Episode VII needs some strong growth in Episode VIII and IX to keep up the caliber of what makes an "Episode."

That being said, we Star Wars fans in our mid-40s who grew up in a Star Wars haze for most of our childhood, would absolutely attend this "Star Wars Story" and give it the right amount of rope with which to hang itself if the concept reached for more than it was capable. The result was not just a very, very strong story, script, acting and pure filmmaking, but this "story" tied into Episode IV better than any other Episode tied into another. I am rating this movie 5 stars because even hours after the film is a memory to me, I cannot find a single flaw. Was it joyless? Absolutely. But so was Episode III, which was similarly a dark time in the storyline. Yet, for all its intended darkness, Episode III suffered from poor script, poor directing and horrendous acting. Lucas rushing the birth of Luke and Leia, introducing the concept of "Force Ghosts" and shoe-horning in the separation of the kids just made Episode III's darkness seem cartoonishly silly. That was not the case in "Rogue One." The drama, script, acting and tone were pure Star Wars, but also a product of very strong filmmaking. I feel for poor Natalie Portman, a tremendous actress stuck in the worst era of Star Wars. I can only imagine she watches "Rogue One" with her face in her palm wondering where it all went wrong. The inclusion of many elements from Episode IV, from the elementary effects of X-Wing flight being mimicked to perfection, to the cameos of the original Red Leader, Gold Leader, a CGI Tarkin and CGI Leia, this was the film Episode VII wished it had been. This movie was essentially a 2+ hour extra addition to Episode IV. And done brilliantly. The bar has been raised significantly for future "Episodes," sure, but what "Rogue One" has really done is set an expectation that all future "Stories" must be done equally as perfect.
June 19, 2018
I like how they made to to fill some of the plot holes in the original Star Wars. Overall entertaining even though there were parts that were ehh. As a whole I would recommend this one. Can't say the same for force awakens of last jedi.
June 19, 2018
Very good movie. Story line and characters live up to Star Wars standard. Just little things could make this movie better.
½ June 19, 2018
The best of the Disney Star Wars in my opinion. I didn't have an issue with pacing that everyone else seems to have had. Worth a watch.
Good and a grate story
½ June 18, 2018
A mediocre Star Wars film that didn't really need to be made. It manages to succeed in actually being a Star Wars film, unlike the fan fiction The Force Awakens, and the total betrayal of the Star Wars legacy, The Last Jedi, but still it tells a story that was better left untold.

Derivative - competent, but wholly unnecessary.
June 17, 2018
perfect timing, great film
June 16, 2018
Fantastic especially the last act of the movie
June 16, 2018
I must admit... I enjoyed this one. I thought it was done well. Could use better character development, but a fun movie. Best one from Disney.
June 16, 2018
This might be sacrilege, but I found this movie to be better than Empire Strikes Back. My favorite of all Star Wars movies. Great characters, smart script, and lots of fun. Can the people who were responsible for this movie please re-make The Last Jedi?