Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews

½ April 19, 2018
This movie was great for being the first Star Wars tale outside the saga. They did a great job on it.
April 19, 2018
Although the main character, Jyn, was sometimes annoying in the film, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' is still one of my favourite Star Wars films. The way the story fit perfectly into 'Star Wars: A New Hope' was incredible and the emotional moments definitely left me in tears. Alan Tudyk as K-2SO is also amazing in the film and is the stand out performance. The film, in general, is very solid with a good story and extending Star Wars as we know it. Definitely a film to watch.
April 15, 2018
Gareth Edwards did a phenomenal job as director, this film has an artistic style that stands out. I am a happy Star Wars fan!
½ April 14, 2018
It's a "space adventure". Completly forgettable.
April 14, 2018
Overall a decent installment. It has some bad CGI character rendering, but a great 5 min Darth Vader scene at the end.
April 12, 2018
Although I missed the lightsaber action of the other Star Wars movies, this movie was very well done. I did not like Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera, I felt like his theatric soft voice did not suit the character. The whole "I will run no more" line and character choice to stay and be destroyed when he could have escaped and help fight was a clunky devise to remove any sort of crutch he might have been to Jen's character. Also the fact that they had Jon not grab the message device she was sitting right in front of while she escaped did not make sense. She just saw a personal message from her estranged father which also contained a critical piece of information for the resistance, how would she not immediately grab it while getting up off the floor?

Donnie Yen was excellent as Chirrut, bringing comedic comments, technical fighting proficiency, and truly making The Force be felt in a movie with very little Force wielding, aside from Darth Vader.

K-2SO was a delightful character and has become my favorite droid in the entire Star Wars Saga.

For all the complaints about the CG people in the movie, I was more in awe of the skill of what they had created and did not find any of it distracting. I had no idea that Takin was CG and thought it was awesome to see young Leia.

The pace of the movie felt right on point and the whole blending of the end to the first sequence of A New Hope was fantastic.

Great movie, great characters!
April 12, 2018
Amazing. Loved the characters and the plot. Was really cool to see the banality of evil in the empire, and see Star Wars from the perspective of non-jedii
April 12, 2018
Viewed only as a cash grab by Lucasfilm/Disney, this movie falls flat on almost every level, from it's uninspired and shallow characters, to its obvious story and yawn-worthy action scenes. If the robot in your movie gets the most praise, newslfash, that means you're characters are not good. The only initially interesting character was rewritten and his arc edited out of the movie (played by Forest Whitaker). This film, being the second one by Disney also doubles down on destroying the lore behind it all, with random 'Rebels' saying things about the Force, even though they aren't force sensitive, have no real knowledge of what that is and basically have got nothing to do with the Force. It's definitely not a must-see.
April 12, 2018
A solid, action-packed Star Wars film that captures the heart and magic of George Lucas' galaxy far, far away while adding some new dimensions
½ April 9, 2018
This may be the single best SW sequel ever made: despite a score that simply doesn't fit, this film embodies the SW tradition of heroism and noble sacrifice.
April 7, 2018
Brilliant.......Everything that the last jedi wasnt......
½ April 7, 2018
It's overall inoffensive an passable, however the lack of engaging characters or pacing, make it very forgettable minus two or three scenes.
½ April 6, 2018
The most disappointing movie of the franchise. Absolutely horrible!!!!!!
April 6, 2018
good funn but boring characters.
April 6, 2018
good film for what it is. I actually enjoyed it more than the new films in the mainline story. Definitely the darkest of all the Star Wars films.
½ April 5, 2018
Gareth Edward's entry into the Star Wars universe with his spin-off 'Rogue One' is a bold move, getting rid of the Skywalker family completely. In place of them are a group of unmemorable characters who are an exciting story filled with many callbacks and use of nostalgia. 'Rogue One' is a very good Star Wars film, with an exciting score by Michael Giacchino, and a creative fun 'Saving Private Ryan' take on Star Wars, showing the war aspect of the saga. The comedy in this film works with the main cast and the fight scenes are very well done, and the acting is very good among most of the main cast. The only fault I see with this installment is the lack of reason to care for any of the main characters other than our main heroine. The film introduces these characters very quickly and gives them a quick sad story. It will be difficult to walk away from this film saying that you remembered all of the main characters names. However this is a stand-alone, regardless still manages to be a fun Star Wars flick.
½ April 4, 2018
A very fun film with the best special effects in a Star Wars film to date without a doubt. The side-characters weren't particularly interesting, however it's not a huge issue.
April 4, 2018
i feel it was the first great star wars movie made since last jedi. I love it.
April 4, 2018
The deep shaft loving franchise is back and this time, we head to the beach!
The truth is that there's no franchise like Star Wars. It's every producer's dream to make a fairly low-budget and transform it into one of the most profitable sagas in history. Last year, I was blown away by The Force Awakens, I was so surprised that Abrams, despite having the weight of the world on his shoulders, was able to make a movie that encased all that a Star Wars movie should have while taking advantage of the technology the original trilogy didn't have. With this film, the stakes are much lower, there isn't nearly as much buzz around it, people didn't have enough waiting time to expect a flawless feature film. I was skeptical that Gareth could deliver it because of his previous films, but this movie is quite good! There are some interesting new characters in the mix like Jyn, Cassian and Saw and too many forgetful ones and the performances are really strong. It would be unacceptable of me not mentioning Ben Mendelsohn's depiction of Krennic which was the best character in the movie. That, ladies and gents, is a villain - subtle, suave and wickedly enjoyable. i hadn't noticed Ben yet but I'll certainly be on the look out. I might say he holds his ground next to Vader (just in this movie!!), who is not shot in a proper fashion and while the voice is there, the presence is less menacing (though he's introduced quite nicely). It's also gratifying to see a Star Wars film that's almost completely war-centered. It's not about the entire war against the Empire, it's just a battle to be lost. If you'll allow me, it's not about WWII, it's about Dunkirk. And it effortlessly fits into the franchise as it becomes what Wicked is to the Wizard of Oz, an expansion of the universe of the characters and justification of their actions and the plot holes (what was off, became in). Furthermore, the music is great, nostalgia isn't blantaly explored and the cinematography pairs with wonderful visual effects to make a remarkable world. Yet, the fist part of the second act could be improved and the way Gareth shoots all of it, though effective, is by the books. Also, as I've said, many characters don't get to be developed enough for us to care, some are archetypes that follow expected story bits, as it was all part of a mass production (and is it not?). But in many ways, this is what popcorn entertainment should be all about! Don't expect a Force Awakens but be prepared for a rebellious movie!
Spoilers
What I have also enjoyed is how fatalist this movie is. It's literally the only blockbuster I recall that kills all the characters we root for. ALL of them. Not even K-2 is spared. This has a wonderful result of actually raising the stakes. We knew what the outcome was going to be like before we watched the film, we know that the plans we're going to get stolen. The spoiler is actually in a 40 year old movie! This is delightful as I love to see a movie where evil, regardless of the future Alliance achievements, kind of wins over the good guys in question (but of course the movie doesn't treat it as a loss)
April 3, 2018
While the first two thirds may be a bit slow and the characters may feel a bit dull, the story of Rogue One is that of the unsung heroes of a war. The tone is dark and the sense of dread and danger is always present. The performances are all really good, and it's just sad we don't get more character scenes like those of Jyn and her father together (both hologram message and re-encounter) or more of Cassian's questionable actions that dwell on a very gray moral area. The third act is really well executed, and the single scene with Darth Vader, while being straight fan service, is short really well done, standing by itself without relying on how other films have established the character before. It's a good Star Wars movie.