Ruby Sparks Reviews

• Aug 19, 2019

Without beating around the bush, I’ll just say that I loved everything about Ruby Sparks. This film is divine from start to finish, and it was one of those movies I didn’t want to end. I was dangerously close to just watching it again immediately after I finished, because I wanted to go through that experience again, and I will be adding it to my film collection as soon as possible. However, there’s some special things going on in this story, and I’d rather not spoil them for anyone who hasn’t seen the film. While I won’t be ruining any specific plot points (just the general premise) I think the magic of the film works better the less you know. So, let me encourage you to see Ruby Sparks before you read any further in my review. Suffice it to say, I think it’s a movie that everyone should see. It’s a new favorite for me. Now that I have that out of the way, I can talk about why this movie clicked for me so much. I appreciated that the film spoke to the insanity of what was happening, when Ruby walks into the real world, but then adjusted as it went on and we were allowed to accept this as the reality of the film. Paul Dano plays it brilliantly, so we experience it all vicariously through him. That way, as soon as he begins to accept that his character is a living person, we can as well. The movie runs the gamut of emotions, just like a real relationship. We experience the highs in almost a romantic comedy tone, and then we experience the lows that become a heavy romantic drama. It’s all built on the premise of a fictional character coming to life, and yet it feels like one of the most non-fictional relationships I’ve ever seen in film. You know a movie is going to be one of your favorites when it transcends simple story-telling and begins to make you think about your life, the choices you’ve made, and the realities of human relationships. Ruby Sparks was connecting so many dots for me that I couldn’t even keep up with it all. The way it shows the complexity of human emotion, and what makes a person authentic was astounding. I was so invested in the story that I spoke to the screen a couple of times without thinking about it, desperate to stop Paul Dano’s character from making a mistake, yet realizing he needed to make that mistake in order to discover what makes Ruby special. I could go on for a long time, but I think I’ll just wrap up by saying it is a crime that Zoe Kazan did not receive more awards recognition for her work on this film. Not only did she write it, but there is some serious complexity to this acting performance, and she nailed it. This movie is a 5-star winner.

• Mar 20, 2019

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

• Nov 10, 2018

Love the idea of the authors work coming to life, this film is just missing a little something, interesting plot but had greater potential.

• Aug 30, 2018

Watch this if: You're into comedies that are super clever and more than fluff. Ruby Sparks is one of the best movies no one's ever heard of. Calvin is a novelist who creates his dream girl Ruby in his latest book. And then, the unexpected happens. This one is so, so original. It's also brilliant and playful and quirky and romantic and kinda dark at times.

• Jul 16, 2018

Interesting with great performances but it felt at sea in terms of the goals of the film.

• Jun 01, 2018

Disarmingly delectable and unanticipatedly discerning, this romantic comedy cleverly uses a fantastic proposition of a writer's fictional dream girl coming to live to expound thorny knots of male self-absorption, pathological jealousy and emotional tyranny in any relationship.

• May 16, 2018

A course in what to do & not to do in romantic relationships. I love the story.

A course in what to do & not to do in romantic relationships. I love the story.

• Apr 24, 2018

Ruby Sparks - Meine fabelhafte Freundin ist in der Filmgeschichte meines Wissens nach eine einmalige Idee und zeigt auf lustige aber auch beänstigende Weise wie es sein könnte wenn man eine gottähnliche Kraft bekommt.

Thomas D Super Reviewer
    Feb 14, 2018

There may not be a modern day couple that I adore more than Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan. Weird to say, especially since I never find myself scouring the trades for their relationship updates or paparazzi photos. It's more so an adoration for their work on screen. Everything from Dano's turns in There Will Be Blood and Prisoners, to Zoe's work in The Big Sick and Our Brand is Crisis. And of course, their work together in Ruby Sparks, Meek's Cutoff (which I have admittedly yet to see), and upcoming film Wildlife. I'm not sure there's a more critically acclaimed working couple on screen. Ruby Sparks is one of those weird films that I've had to sit on for about a week. Dano plays a successful novelist who is going through a bout of writer's block when he finds a character he created has crept her way into his real life, the catch being that everything he writes about her personality and character decisions is exactly the way she acts in real life. Is she real or is this a girl from his dreams that he's hallucinating? Well, that gets answered relatively fast and the result brings heart wrenching drama and a fascinating tale of obsession, controlling behavior, and to tread carefully on how you put someone up to a pedestal. Romantic-comedy-dramas that take chances are always going to be on my good side. I immediately think of 500 Days of Summer, When Harry Met Sally, The Spectacular Now, The Big Sick, Paper Towns, La La Land, Man Up, and The Before Trilogy. All in different ways present a non-cliched representation of a romance. Ruby Sparks may not ultimately be as good as any of those films, but it took chances and provided thought provoking commentary for an otherwise paint by numbers genre. Besides all of the interesting plot and character choices, there's some really powerful performances here. Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas, Steve Coogan, Chris Messina, and Deborah Ann Woll all do great work in bit roles. Kazan and Dano, however, are in an entirely different league. You can clearly see the chemistry the two have off screen plays well into their on screen turns as well. And one thing I noticed about Kazan's work, particularly for this character, is how much she channeled her inner Audrey Hepburn. I was about to write this in my notes and then boom, we see both of their characters watching Sabrina, a classic Hepburn film. A sort of creepy but fascinatingly unique romantic story is what makes Ruby Sparks work so well. I more than recommend this to those interested in original filmmaking. 8.6/10

• Jan 06, 2018

so weird. turned into a 'your wishes don't turn out the way you'd hoped' allegory part way through, but then got weirder. I don't even know what I think.