Ruby Sparks Reviews

• Mar 20, 2019

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

• Nov 10, 2018

Love the idea of the authors work coming to life, this film is just missing a little something, interesting plot but had greater potential.

• Aug 30, 2018

Watch this if: You're into comedies that are super clever and more than fluff. Ruby Sparks is one of the best movies no one's ever heard of. Calvin is a novelist who creates his dream girl Ruby in his latest book. And then, the unexpected happens. This one is so, so original. It's also brilliant and playful and quirky and romantic and kinda dark at times.

• Jul 16, 2018

Interesting with great performances but it felt at sea in terms of the goals of the film.

• Jun 01, 2018

Disarmingly delectable and unanticipatedly discerning, this romantic comedy cleverly uses a fantastic proposition of a writer's fictional dream girl coming to live to expound thorny knots of male self-absorption, pathological jealousy and emotional tyranny in any relationship.

• May 16, 2018

A course in what to do & not to do in romantic relationships. I love the story.

A course in what to do & not to do in romantic relationships. I love the story.

• Apr 24, 2018

Ruby Sparks - Meine fabelhafte Freundin ist in der Filmgeschichte meines Wissens nach eine einmalige Idee und zeigt auf lustige aber auch beänstigende Weise wie es sein könnte wenn man eine gottähnliche Kraft bekommt.

Thomas D Super Reviewer
    Feb 14, 2018

There may not be a modern day couple that I adore more than Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan. Weird to say, especially since I never find myself scouring the trades for their relationship updates or paparazzi photos. It's more so an adoration for their work on screen. Everything from Dano's turns in There Will Be Blood and Prisoners, to Zoe's work in The Big Sick and Our Brand is Crisis. And of course, their work together in Ruby Sparks, Meek's Cutoff (which I have admittedly yet to see), and upcoming film Wildlife. I'm not sure there's a more critically acclaimed working couple on screen. Ruby Sparks is one of those weird films that I've had to sit on for about a week. Dano plays a successful novelist who is going through a bout of writer's block when he finds a character he created has crept her way into his real life, the catch being that everything he writes about her personality and character decisions is exactly the way she acts in real life. Is she real or is this a girl from his dreams that he's hallucinating? Well, that gets answered relatively fast and the result brings heart wrenching drama and a fascinating tale of obsession, controlling behavior, and to tread carefully on how you put someone up to a pedestal. Romantic-comedy-dramas that take chances are always going to be on my good side. I immediately think of 500 Days of Summer, When Harry Met Sally, The Spectacular Now, The Big Sick, Paper Towns, La La Land, Man Up, and The Before Trilogy. All in different ways present a non-cliched representation of a romance. Ruby Sparks may not ultimately be as good as any of those films, but it took chances and provided thought provoking commentary for an otherwise paint by numbers genre. Besides all of the interesting plot and character choices, there's some really powerful performances here. Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas, Steve Coogan, Chris Messina, and Deborah Ann Woll all do great work in bit roles. Kazan and Dano, however, are in an entirely different league. You can clearly see the chemistry the two have off screen plays well into their on screen turns as well. And one thing I noticed about Kazan's work, particularly for this character, is how much she channeled her inner Audrey Hepburn. I was about to write this in my notes and then boom, we see both of their characters watching Sabrina, a classic Hepburn film. A sort of creepy but fascinatingly unique romantic story is what makes Ruby Sparks work so well. I more than recommend this to those interested in original filmmaking. 8.6/10

• Jan 06, 2018

so weird. turned into a 'your wishes don't turn out the way you'd hoped' allegory part way through, but then got weirder. I don't even know what I think.

• Nov 30, 2017

This has always been one of my favorite movie of 2010s mainly because of the idea of the story. Recently I bought the DVD and got the chance to watch it after so many years, and honestly, I still really adore this movie. I think this is a very beautiful film. It's corny, sure, but it's also very heartwarming and very well-acted. Especially Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan.