Reviews

• Sep 14, 2021

The movies plot was amazing and in my opinion very original. However, the ending was absolute bullshit. I would definitely still recommend people to watch it.

• Sep 02, 2021

Paul Dano’s what I feel is one of his best performances!!!!

Paul Dano’s what I feel is one of his best performances!!!!

• Mar 04, 2021

Ruby Sparks is a cleverly written romantic-comedy satire. The performances are charming and strong in this surreal story about feminine cliches in the creative space as well as the desertion of such tropes in the face of male arrogance and the fantastical depiction of women in literature and media.

• Nov 29, 2020

Almost a good movie. It's a nice Pygmalion-type idea, the screwed up, unsocial guy unwittingly creates a women from his imagination and she's perfect, except that he is not, and relationships are not, and he ruins it. They had to tag on a ridiculous happy ending so that they could call it a Rom-Com but one can't help but think, he's the same screwed up guy so it's going to be the same failed relationship. This could have been a really good dark movie - the movies like to say that happiness is within you -- this one could have told the story that no matter how perfect things seem, unhappiness is within you if you're a jerk. Our "hero" in this film will find a way to be unhappy no matter what.

• Oct 20, 2020

Definitely more of a fascinating thought experiment than it is a satisfying romantic comedy, "Ruby Sparks" finds Zoe Kazan at her most metaphysically flexible, filling both the role of screenwriter and titular performer in a movie about an author whose creation literally blinks off the page and into corporeality. Add in the fact that Kazan's real life partner, Paul Dano, occupies the role of the aforementioned writer and you've got yourself the potential for a real mind-bender. In reality, though, "Ruby Sparks" ends up playing things rather safely, focusing heavily on the ethical dilemma at hand and how the protagonist's neuroses revolve around, effect and even change in relation to it. This approach is ultimately to the film's benefit, with Dano and Kazan's performances really anchoring the drama and philosophical urgency running throughout the narrative. Not a bad experience by any stretch.

• Sep 14, 2020

Love the way this film explores real human relationships through such a surreal concept, and somehow makes it work.

• Aug 19, 2019

Without beating around the bush, I’ll just say that I loved everything about Ruby Sparks. This film is divine from start to finish, and it was one of those movies I didn’t want to end. I was dangerously close to just watching it again immediately after I finished, because I wanted to go through that experience again, and I will be adding it to my film collection as soon as possible. However, there’s some special things going on in this story, and I’d rather not spoil them for anyone who hasn’t seen the film. While I won’t be ruining any specific plot points (just the general premise) I think the magic of the film works better the less you know. So, let me encourage you to see Ruby Sparks before you read any further in my review. Suffice it to say, I think it’s a movie that everyone should see. It’s a new favorite for me. Now that I have that out of the way, I can talk about why this movie clicked for me so much. I appreciated that the film spoke to the insanity of what was happening, when Ruby walks into the real world, but then adjusted as it went on and we were allowed to accept this as the reality of the film. Paul Dano plays it brilliantly, so we experience it all vicariously through him. That way, as soon as he begins to accept that his character is a living person, we can as well. The movie runs the gamut of emotions, just like a real relationship. We experience the highs in almost a romantic comedy tone, and then we experience the lows that become a heavy romantic drama. It’s all built on the premise of a fictional character coming to life, and yet it feels like one of the most non-fictional relationships I’ve ever seen in film. You know a movie is going to be one of your favorites when it transcends simple story-telling and begins to make you think about your life, the choices you’ve made, and the realities of human relationships. Ruby Sparks was connecting so many dots for me that I couldn’t even keep up with it all. The way it shows the complexity of human emotion, and what makes a person authentic was astounding. I was so invested in the story that I spoke to the screen a couple of times without thinking about it, desperate to stop Paul Dano’s character from making a mistake, yet realizing he needed to make that mistake in order to discover what makes Ruby special. I could go on for a long time, but I think I’ll just wrap up by saying it is a crime that Zoe Kazan did not receive more awards recognition for her work on this film. Not only did she write it, but there is some serious complexity to this acting performance, and she nailed it. This movie is a 5-star winner.

• Mar 20, 2019

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

a very unique romance movie, with a very great performance by Zoe Kazan

• Nov 10, 2018

Love the idea of the authors work coming to life, this film is just missing a little something, interesting plot but had greater potential.

• Aug 30, 2018

Watch this if: You're into comedies that are super clever and more than fluff. Ruby Sparks is one of the best movies no one's ever heard of. Calvin is a novelist who creates his dream girl Ruby in his latest book. And then, the unexpected happens. This one is so, so original. It's also brilliant and playful and quirky and romantic and kinda dark at times.