Safe Haven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safe Haven Reviews

November 28, 2017
a bizarre slow paced drama with very little to latch onto acting and story wise and the ending is absolutely hilarious or stupid or perhaps both the audience is left to ponder that on their own
½ September 9, 2017
Absolute shit. Bad acting, no reason to make it at all, you could predict the ending as soon as you met her "neighbor", and did I mention it was shit?
September 7, 2017
I liked it, it even took a mystery turn in the end..=)
September 2, 2017
Typical Nicholas Sparks, but also different in its use of an actual antagonist. Disappointing though; the characters lack depth and the twist ending is unnecessary and unanticipated due to limited plot focus in its direction.
August 22, 2017
Must see, good movie
August 20, 2017
Too ridiculous for its own good and come the third act, the film is barely watchable.

When a mysterious young woman arrives in a small North Carolina town, her reluctance to join the tight knit community raises questions about her past. Slowly, she begins putting down roots, and gains the courage to start a relationship with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children. But dark secrets intrude on her new life with such terror that she is forced to rediscover the meaning of sacrifice and rely on the power of love in this deeply moving romantic thriller.

So I've taken some slack for not seeing any Nicholas Sparks films. Granted, this slack has come from a couple of my friends who are in love with him and his novels, but either way, I promised I would watch one soon. It ultimately came down to which film I thought had the more interesting plot, and "Safe Haven" sounded relatively interesting. Sadly, this was just a complete mess of a film. Not only was it not interesting (putting that in a nice way), but there's really no redeeming qualities about this film.

I guess we'll just start with the characters. The actors, whose names I don't know (except for Josh Duhamel), but I guess they were fine. I mean, the talent themselves were likable individuals, but I could've cared less about their characters. I didn't care for their backstories, I didn't have any real interest in their impulsive relationship, and I wasn't invested in the situation.

I thought this movie was at least watchable for the first two acts. I mean, it wasn't like a great film or anything, but I could watch it and be content. Then the third act came, and the movie's story tried to be smart. It tried to pull of twists and turns that it had no right to try, as it was way out of its league. I thought the story was just horrible and insensible, while also being poorly well written.

In the end, there's not really anything to talk about here. It just wasn't a good movie. I get how some people can find some enjoyment in this, but this is a well less than adequate film.
August 18, 2017
This movie reminds me that even with a dark past you can still start fresh. This will always be one of my favorites.
July 8, 2017
2017-07-08 charming and watchable enough, just kind of implausible that they could spend that much time dating and no one ever mentioned the wife (Jo)'s name or showed a photo even one time.
July 2, 2017
His best since The Notebook
June 16, 2017
The best Nicholas Sparks movie I ever seen!!!!! Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough are absolutely stunning, I don't know if I have the courage like Josh did but I do know that Safe Haven is for us to find a new love and a new start because it's about making that individual happy.
½ May 9, 2017
The movie doesn't stick to the book too well, and I think they left out some pretty important book things from the movie. But if you have never read the book, it is phenomonal! There's so many plot twists in this movie that
It keeps you on the edge your seat the whole time. This is one romantic thriller that you don't want to miss. You catch it on Netflix anytime (AND YOU SHOULD!!!)
April 9, 2017
Safe is the word. The actors are enjoyable to watch, but for the film to really work we needed to feel the paranoia for the first two thirds to contrast with the much better calm scenes. The plot twist was unintentionally creepy.
March 24, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie.
March 15, 2017
I loved it! It was a perfect blend of suspense, drama, and romance.
January 29, 2017
Just another pleasant chick flick which kills a couple of hours with its predictable, uninspiring love story. This time, a girl is on the run from what looks like a murder she has just committed, pursued by a hot-shot detective. Having changed her image, name, and location, she then sets about establishing a new life in a desolate coastal resort, where she meets Alex. Alex has recently lost his wife to cancer, and is raising their two kids on his own whilst running the local convenience store. You know what's coming next ....... the two fall in love, until her past catches up with her and its that dramatic conclusion of will they live happily ever after? Of course they will, we all know that, but i admit there were a few clever twists and turns in the final scenes which made for a more credible few moments than i had expected. The titles spells it out really, this film is a safe haven for entertainment. You get what you expect and nothing more. Girls will love it - They will become engrossed and they will no doubt blub a little at the end, even though they too also know it's going to have a positive outcome (they just won't admit to it). It's well produced, well acted, nothing obviously wrong with it, but will clearly appeal to a certain target market, and will no doubt be the type of film many guys may be subjected to on Valentine's Day.
½ January 8, 2017
One of my favorite movies based on Nicholas Sparks. Love this movie. Didn't care for some of the changes from the book to the movie.
October 25, 2016
As some men are oft to say "even when pizza is bad, it's still pretty good" females could be thought to echo the theory (especially on Valentine's Day) "even when a chick-flick is bad, it's still pretty good" but for this emotionally disengaged melodrama with its clunky gear shifts, overly sentimental dialogue and transparently familiar plot was leagues away from a worthwhile choice; even for the supposedly most romantic day of the year.

Adapted from yet another sappy Nicolas Sparks novel, Safe Haven with its picturesque small town locale populated by good-hearted southern folks in candy-box houses and a stunning sprawling coastline hits all the familiar notes but has an undeniable undercurrent of manipulation.

Taking a second giant career leap backwards (after his other schmaltzy Sparks project 2010's Dear John), Director Lasse Hallstrom, who created such dramatic treats as My Life as a Dog and What's Eating Gilbert Grape slips further and further into laughable territory with more predictably formulaically fare.

In an attempt not to divulge too many plot details, here is a really basic summary. But I warn you, not guessing the end may not be an option.

Running, bloody handed in the dead of night, Katie (Julianne Hough) abruptly jumps the nearest bus out of Boston. Stopping on-route to Atlanta in the charming tourist spot of Southport, North Carolina, Katie has a moment of serine clarity on the wharf and decides to remain.

Renting a rustic cottage, Katie hikes daily to the local convenience shop where owner Alex (Josh Duhamel) takes an instant shine. A recent widower and father of two; the willful Josh (Noah Lomax) and curious Lexie (Mimi Kirkland), Alex generous attempts at kindness unnerve the vigilantly alert and connection shunning Katie.

Although her self-preservation shield is slowly brought down by Alex, his children and the help of a close yet myserious neighbor, outrunning her past is not going to be so simple. When her drunkard abusive husband, Tierney (David Lyons) utilizes all means at a police officer's disposal to find her, no-one and nowhere; no matter how remote, is safe.

Dogged by dreadful dialogue and a lack of chemistry, Duhamel's charming warmth and trademark self-deprecating sense of humor has little opportunity to engage beyond the status of eye-candy, whilst trained dancer Hough with her limited acting credits is the weakest link seemingly unable to summon the requisite dramatic skills.

Almost as bad is the manic alcohol-swilling Lyons, who we no-more believe as villainous as gummy bears. Two redeemable and genuine appealing performances are from young Kirkland and Lomax, both terrific scene stealers with talent far beyond vibrant cuteness.

The Verdict: Personally if you're looking for an intriguing balancing act between blossoming love in the midst of suspense and anguish, I would look back 20 years when Julia Roberts slept with an enemy.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 22/02/2013
October 5, 2016
Not bad! Stuck fairly true to the book!!
½ October 5, 2016
Save Haven is a normal Nicholas Sparks movie - damaged girl finding love with a good looking widower - even in the face of the corrupt cop ex-husband hunting her. I didn't like the last five minutes of the movie - too much Stephen-King-like.
½ September 11, 2016
Watchable movie, sometimes slow, with underdeveloped characters. It's slightly predictable but the production values are fine.