Sagan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sagan Reviews

November 23, 2012
A confusing look on the famed French author's life. The only draw of Sagan is its lead actress, Sylvie Testud, in a performance reminiscent of Marion Cotillard's in La Vie En Rose.
July 25, 2012
Il reste encore de bons film francais! Acteurs impeccables, mention speciale a S. Testud qui est enorme dans ce role.
June 5, 2012
I didn't know Franoise Sagan before watching the movie, so I don't know if they succeed to show who she was really, but I think it's a good movie! I liked the realism of the acting (all the actors were good) and the fact that we see her social life's condition and health when she was old. I dove into a lot of thinking when I was watching her. The movie doesn't have any judgment ! I was fascinated about the character and it gave me the motivation to read some of her books!
August 19, 2011
Bonjour tristesse ...
Harlequin68
December 3, 2010
"Sagan" is an anecdotal and breezy biopic about Francoise Sagan(Sylvie Testud), nee Quoirez, the famed French writer, whose best scene involves a very mischievous dog. Almost as a lark, she writes "Bonjour Tristesse" which turns her into an overnight success and is soon to be a major motion picture starring David Niven, Deborah Kerr and Jean Seberg. I would have liked to have seen a little about this adaptation, as it would have enhanced the surrealism of Sagan's whirlwind life. All is not smooth sailing, however, as she is attacked by critics, who doubt that she in fact wrote her first novel and then her later work as 'minor music.' Otherwise, there is not that much on her writing, giving the emphasis of the movie over to her tumultuous personal life. If she had not spent so much time enjoying herself with her extended family of friends and lovers of both genders, then this could have easily just been another cautionary tale about becoming a success too soon.(She took up an assumed name to write, so her respectable family would not be afraid people thought she was writing about them.) With her first earnings, she buys a sports car, which she eventually crashes. After a win at the roulette wheel, she buys a country estate where Sarah Bernhardt once spent the night. So, it must come as something of a shock when she makes it to old age, despite the copious use of drugs and alcohol(the welcome playing of "One Night in Bangkok" is entirely appropriate), which she never prepared for, encapsulating the very ephemeral nature of life, just as her writing still lives on.

(Originally reviewed in the blog section on 6/22/2010.)
½ October 2, 2010
Yawn. This film is part of the problem, not the solution. For French eyes only. You do not need to see it.
½ September 27, 2010
Intense bio film,loving Sylvie testud as Franoise Sagan, Another jewel in french cinematography..adorable cameo role for Arielle Dombasle
August 27, 2010
Je ne dirai qu'une chose : je trouve ce film superbe, tout comme toutes les citations qui y sont faites !
½ April 22, 2010
desolation malgre une grande testud.
½ April 6, 2010
This is the best movie i saw in this year.
March 30, 2010
????????說?????????????????????被?????座???????????以??妳?起???影??
?????????????姨??????????起??以??????????????....
½ March 26, 2010
monologue galore. well written, well said.
March 15, 2010
Snygg men trist A-B-C-filmatisering av Sagans liv. Som så ofta i biografifilmer så reduceras ett liv till ett antal omständigheter, samboenden och staplade karikatyrmässiga imitationer.
January 17, 2010
Les étoiles sont uniquement pour le jeu de Sylvie Testud !
½ January 16, 2010
Il n'existe pas quinze faons de faire un film biographique ce qui les condamne en un sens tous se rassembler. Reste alors l'intrt pour le personnage en soi ici brillamment interprt par une juste et touchante Sylvie Testud et les mots, magnifiques et troublants de Sagan elle-mme. Pour le reste, c'est de la rembourrure qu'on finit tout de mme par pardonner malgr son ct fade et sans trop d'ambition. C'est assez anecdotique on doit se l'avouer, mais on est pas certain si on s'embarquerait dans le long tlfilm fleuve de 2 parties.
December 13, 2009
Language was big problem to me.(French) This movie was showing one of bad case of woman's life. I hope to spend good life with my special people. If you have children, check this movie. Probably your tear never dry.
½ October 4, 2009
Insupportable ! Je n'ai pas été capable de voir plus de quelques minutes.
½ July 7, 2009
a treasure! beautiful from the first minute to the last. so many wonderful quotes. heartbreaking. cried a bit.
July 6, 2009
the story was very very sad...

it made me sad...; ;
½ June 2, 2009
It was funny when the dog found the cocaine, but other than that it was too slow and did not catch my interest. I love Sagan, though.