Sami Blood Reviews

• Jan 15, 2020

Good movie. It didn't keep me hooked at all times, and it could use more story after she finally gets the silver belt. But that's just my opinion.

• Dec 29, 2018

Brilliant performance by the young lead. Great drama.

Brilliant performance by the young lead. Great drama.

• Mar 15, 2018

Elle Marja, is a young girl living in the Northern Sweden back in the 1930's. She got skills and is her teachers favorite. Back in those days people from more populated areas and people outside the Sami culture looked down on everyone like Elle Marja. She and other kids attended Sami schools and had plenty of limitations. After getting some knowledge from "the outside world" and after years getting picked on she want's to run away, she wants to see more of this world. When she is stripped down and measured by doctors, treated like some newly discovered race, she just can't take it anymore - she's gotta run. Life outside her normal standards are not easy, they are the direct opposite, but her struggle is worth it. A pretty cool take on this Northern native group. The dark side of the culture that we rearly hear about but definetly know of. The "neighbour racism" stands strong here and paints the entire plot. It's greatly shot - splendid photography, well told and nicely acted out. Some time skipping and plenty of scenes that makes it a hard or unplesant to watch. You feel sorry for out lead, you may relate to some situations - being put up against the wall all by yourself in situations you don't know how to handle. I miss some bigger happenings, but in total this is a solid full lenght debut that wakes some thoughts. 7.5 out of 10 joiks.

• Dec 11, 2017

Colonialism is laid bare in this intimate story of a young Sami woman navigating her identity in the impossible quagmires of early 20th century Swedish society.

• Jun 15, 2017

Such a thoughtful and moving film about identity and how we treat indigenous people.

• Mar 20, 2017

Great Swedish period piece.

Great Swedish period piece.

• Mar 11, 2017

A powerful and important movie about the experiences of the native Scandinavian people (Sami). Sweden has a very troubling history of pioneering the horrible field of eugenics which we mostly seam to ignore but this movie beautifully casts a light on that history and hopefully we can start to correct some of the wrongs done to the Sami. It's my favorite movie for the last couple of years.

• Jan 20, 2017

Propelled by its beautiful locales, escalating emotion, and remarkable acting, this very rare look into a suppressed part of world history is astounding in that right, though it comes with a few holes. [Sundance viewing--Suggested Rating: PG-13]