Sand and Sorrow Reviews

• Apr 27, 2015

powerful heart wrenching doc

powerful heart wrenching doc

• Feb 12, 2012

One of the finest documentaries that I have ever seen. This film brought the Darfur Conflict home. Sure., it was very one sided but isn't most documentaries that way? You could tell just by the tone of George Clooney's voice how much this conflict and genocide meant to him. The direction by Paul Freedman was excellent. Very hard hitting and not for the faint of heart. The world should get together, put aside their differences, and help Darfur without worrying about what happens afterwards. Of course since the Sudan does not have any major oil reserves, most of the world will stand idly by while the country tears itself apart. Very sad and powerful film.

• Jan 29, 2012

A new documentary about Darfur by award-winning filmmaker Paul Freedman, and narrated by George Clooney......covering the frustration felt by African Union troops at their inability to protect Darfurians due the strict restrictions of their mandate; the UN non-intervention because of China and other countries with oil interests in Sudan who veto resolutions for intervention; and the breakdown of the media in reporting on the crisis in Darfur. I watched this with my family and cried. The media covered Martha Stewarts cheating and lying, and Janet Jackson's "breast" incident for hundreds of hours, yet only gives the bare minimum for so many innocent people being slaughtered. I hang my head in shame.

• May 23, 2011

Dirljivi dokumentarac koji pokazuje pravu sliku politiÄ?ke stvarnosti velikih (vele) sila i muÄ?ne neÄ?ovjeÄ?nosti ,Å¡ahovske igre na duge staze,na žalost :( Koliko joÅ¡ puta trebamo reÄ?i "We want peace" !!!

• May 27, 2009

Arabs committing massive ethnic cleansing in retaliation to terrorist acts made by non-Arabs who wish to seize control of the country (Both sides are Muslims) and the international community is too impotent to intervene. A Must See!

• May 24, 2009

Genocide is probably the worst crime any human can commit. And the fact that we stand by with closed eyes when terrible things happen to innocent people is just sickening. The fact that what is happening in Darfur is not the first time we have stood idly by when it comes to Africa is also very bad.

• Mar 23, 2009

Only the human-animal is capable of such atrocities that is the genocide in Darfur, but also capable of preventing it as well. The unwillingness to act by those with great ability to do so, is an atrocity by itself. The international community's indifference is shameful.

• Feb 20, 2009

Devastating. Everyone must see this film.

Devastating. Everyone must see this film.

• Nov 13, 2008

Hard-hitting and compelling documentary. A somewhat comprehensive introduction to the attrocities that are taking place in Darfur, its genesis and its unpredictable future all distilled into a very compact hour and a half. The most compelling moments in the documentary are when the images take over. In one riveting and horrifying sequence, the African Union Observers watch helplessly as Janjaweed ride in to the refugee camps and torch civilian huts in full-view, their hands tied because of a 'mandate' decreed by the impotent AU. In another, a montage of drawings by the children of Darfur reveal incomprehensible horrors witnessed by these young eyes. The film effectively conjures outrage and indignation that such horrors are allowed to exist today. The only people who come off less horribly than the politicians in charge are the Janjaweed and the Sudanese Liberation Army. The ultimate lingering question the film leaves us with is best articulated by humanitarian Elie Wiesel in its final postscript: How are they going to live now?

• Oct 18, 2008

powerful advocacy piece. george bush really has his finger in all of the horrible events all over the world