Sand Storm (Sufat Chol) Reviews

• Feb 09, 2019

Worst movie I have ever watched. Straight Garbage. Donï¿ 1/2(TM)t waste your life on this crap. The reviews mustï¿ 1/2(TM)ve been paid for by the production company!!!!!! Netflix should be ashamed of themselves offering this so called movie to their customers!!!!

• Jun 08, 2018

Despite holding your interest, the film's oppressively dour tone stamps out a broader range of feelings. - Film Experience

• Jul 30, 2017

You may not have heard about Sand Storm, there was almost no buzz about it, and I certainly hadn't when I found it randomly while surfing Netflix. It's worth a look and do yourself a favor and ignore the meaningless title and the misleading "love story" marketing for the film. Sand Storm is actually about about three Arab women, specifically the mother and two oldest daughters, who belong to a Bedouin family in southern Israel. First-time feature film director Elite Zexer does a really solid job exploring themes of familial responsibility, challenging cultural norms and most prominently, the price for seeking personal happiness. Where does the film excel? The acting and the script, that's where! They work in such perfect synergy, not allowing one to overshadow the other. Brilliant performances from the main cast, especially the mother played by Ruba Blal. Long looks and expressive eyes do much of the heavy lifting and only when needed does dialogue interfere. I think it's also important to note that by "long looks" I don't mean characters staring off into nowhere to show how deep they are. I'm talking about characters looking at each other dead in the eye and conveying everything with context and micro expressions. With a little bit of tweaking this could have been s silent film. I don't think this would improve the film but it's worth mentioning to highlight the wonderful non verbal communication going on. The story is very well crafted as each scene has a specific purpose and is constantly moving the plot forward while informing us about the characters. It gives you the perspective of many complex characters in a natural and non exaggerated fashion. It's compelling and you care for these women. After watching the film, check out the first scene again and just appreciate how this scene subtlety sets up the entire conflict of the film and the nature of the characters. It's quite brilliant. Where does the film miss the mark? Well this film deserved a better director of photography. All the shots where very serviceable and did a good job on communicating the feel of the story but I can't help but imagine what this film would be if they could afford a real superstar cinematographer. Lastly, and kind of a *SPOILER*, I wasn't happy with the way it ended. It ended on a hard cut during a real downer of a moment. This feeling will depend on the type of movie watcher you are but I don't like movies telling me things are bad and and we have to settle for that. The main moral I got from Sand Storm is that cultural patriarchy is putting women in a situation where they have to sacrifice their happiness to live in that society. I was on-board for most of the film and some of the best lines in the film were when the spineless father kept saying he didn't have a choice and he "had to" do the things he did to the women in his family. However, the film ends with virtually no repercussions to him or the other men and all the women give in to their situations and suffer silently. Not my bag. You can your point without saying things are futile. Get a better ending.

• Jun 11, 2017

I thought this was a poignant film which delicately managed unexpected character arcs, each with allowances for criticism and empathy.

• Apr 16, 2017

Stereotyping 101. Insulted as an Arab.

Stereotyping 101. Insulted as an Arab.

• Mar 10, 2017

Brilliantly profound. There are many layers to this movie. A loving Dad who thinks he has to put society before family, a fearless daughter who has to choose between her dreams and family, a strong wife and mother who is suffering inside....all powerless in the face of tradition. Tragic yet entertaining all through!

• Mar 08, 2017

Inequality between men and women takes centre stage and women make all the important sacrifices in this emotion-filled movie, a sensitive Israeli-Arab production.

• Feb 22, 2017

A literary work of art and an honest depiction of life in parts of the Middle East. I have watched it 3 times and have appreciated more about it each time. A gem. My favourite film is Gran Torino, the 2008 American drama film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood to give and idea of my taste.

• Jan 03, 2017

I thought this film was excellent. It kept my attention the entire time. I imagine it is pretty honest in showing what the culture is like in an Arab village. The people starting with the weak dad are trapped in it. The mother and oldest daughter are strong and try to fight back but the strength of the culture is against them. Dad loves his daughters and is flexible with them but when push comes to shove what the other men think is how it goes. He takes a second wife in the beginning of the film probably because he has no son by the first wife. The women are wonderful and the acting is great. It is worth seeing to get an understanding of the pressures people living in this culture face.

• Dec 30, 2016

Story of a Bedouin family in Israel. In spite of a promising beginning when we see father Suliman teaching his daughter to drive, and we find out that he is so proud of her that she goes to college; As the movie progresses we see that he practices age old Bedouin customs (such as taking a 2nd wife); As secrets are revealed, he is prepared to inflict pain on his family in order to stick by tradition and old customs.