Saving Banksy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Banksy Reviews

June 17, 2017
"I can't give away something for free and yet I am offered $700,000 for it (the Haight Street Rat by Banksy). The lengths some Banksy lovers go to to try to preserve his work and yet, street art is meant to be ephemeral ... an interesting dilemma when street artist's work is so sublime and so special in ipictorial messages that the temporary nature of the genre poses a difficult question.
½ June 6, 2017
Another good story of the artist, without featuring him directly. Raises good ethical and business questions on the graffiti art culture, and how property owners, the artists, enthusiasts, and collectors clash in their opinions.
A personal note, I say because the art is done in a public place, but often on private property, it should belong to the property owner, and the artist gives up all rights to it when they illegally place it on the property. The property owner can do with it what they like.
A good short documentary, worth watching for all who enjoy art.
Watched on Netflix at Sam's parents place, June 6, 2017.
½ May 23, 2017
Treat this as a complimentary piece to exit through the gift shop and gives a comprehensive discussion on the value of street art and ultimately, the question of what qualifies as art.
March 8, 2017
This is an incredible, engaging film that will surely invite discussion, and inspire vandalism! Full of great characters, and character alike.
March 6, 2017
Unlike most docs, this one stays engaging from beginning to end. You will forget you're watching a documentary as the storytelling takes you on an invigorating ride through an underground art world we rarely get a glimpse into. This doc will keep you on the edge of your seat and give you unprecedented insight into an artist who leaves us all amazed and scratching our heads in wonder. If documentaries aren't your thing, give this one a try!
February 21, 2017
I loved this contemporary story about art and the people who make it. I even showed it to my boyfriend's mother who knows nothing about street art or Banksy for that matter and she liked it so much she started watching more films on the subject. I highly recommend, 5 stars! Also, points for a great soundtrack.
January 26, 2017
It was great! well made. Great shots. The german art collector is funny and totally aloof.
Good stuff
January 26, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Highly recommend checking it out. It really made me see street art differently and have a whole new appreciation for this type of art.
January 25, 2017
Great Movie!! Awesome interviews. Love the footage and the music. Wonderfully Directed. 5 starts. I'll be watching it again as soon as I can.
January 20, 2017
Saw #SavingBanksy tonight and loved it! Beautifully shot and directed by Colin M Day and featuring some of the biggest artists of our time, the movie asks the question, "Is it ok to take street art meant for the public off the streets and sell in galleries to rich collectors?"

The story centers around an SF art collector who spent over 40k of his own money to preserve Banksy's "Haight Street Rat" but not (unlike other unscrupulous characters portrayed) to sell and line his own pocket book but rather solely to preserve a piece of artistic history for the public to enjoy long after the majority of Banky's work will be destroyed. Artist Ben Eine emerges as an enjoyable moral compass due to his inside knowledge of the street art world, his personal ties to Banksy and cheeky screen presence.

I found myself empathizing w most of the views expressed, realizing that there is no clear answer to this question but that doesn't mean it should stop being asked. A must see for any art lover!
January 14, 2017
not a sequel to Exit Through the Gift Shop
January 13, 2017
True documentary and brilliant sequence of events to show what we face when valuable art work and true talents leave their mark in our everyday quest for success and understanding. Brilliant work!
January 7, 2017
I had the pleasure of watching Saving Banksy at last year's Nashville Film Festival and am very excited for its general release. The film is comprised of amazing interviews with some of the medium's luminaries, all of whom shine a thoughtful and frequently entertaining light on the issue of commercialization of art intended to be public. I have no doubt the film will have an Exit Through the Gift Shop like affect on the public and their relationship to graffiti and street art.
January 3, 2017
Excellent exploration of the commoditization of art.
January 3, 2017
Absolutely love this film. Brought back wonderful memories of San Francisco, as well as got my palms sweaty as all Graffiti related films do. Bravo!