Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Reviews

• 4d ago

Brings my childhood back in a scary way!

Brings my childhood back in a scary way!

• Feb 17, 2020

While it may be a stale film for those more accustomed to the horror genre, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a fantastic gateway film for younger audiences looking to get into Horror films

• Feb 15, 2020

Disappointing, not as good as the books.

Disappointing, not as good as the books.

• Feb 11, 2020

Honestly, I was surprised. I never get my Hope's up when something like this is adapted for the screen. While it does have it's cheesy moments it more than makes up for it in enough ways. It has a good sense of humor too. Who's ready for More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark?

• Feb 07, 2020

In small town America 1968, there is a dark history that hangs over an old abandoned house regarding the fate of the Bellows family. While escaping the town bullies, a group of teenagers break into the house to hide and it is in this house they find a dusty old book full of terrifying stories but as they take it away with them, new stories begin to appear in the book and the group of friends start to disappear one by one. When I first saw this advertised, I had never heard of the books on which it is based and from the trailer I couldn't figure out who the audience for this story might be. From the trailer I felt it was aimed at young teenagers but then some of the imagery used on screen seemed so terrifying and disturbing i thought it couldn't possibly be. Well it turns out it is aimed at teenagers and if i was a teenager watching this i would probably have loved it. As an adult i did still enjoy it, the horror elements were done brilliantly, scary, disturbing and memorable. It's the bits in between the horror that let it down slightly. I just felt the characters weren't developed enough and didn't really gel together like the young cast of IT did. Visually impressive and a decent story behind it but could have done with some extra time dedicated to character development.

• Feb 05, 2020

The movie felt rushed and not enough character development that I even cared about what was happening to the kids. I feel like this was more a passion project to make monsters look like the amazing book illustrations, and that was perfect. But as a movie, it kinda fell short.

• Feb 05, 2020

The monsters in this caused many interesting and memorable moments. The plot was somewhat lacking, and if the movie was not PG-13, I feel like the directors could have done more things to make the movie scarier.

• Feb 02, 2020

I was looking forward to this movie because it looked scary, turns out it's just another predictable horror movie that makes no sense at all. The characters are poorly written. They make decisions that no one would ever make in those same situations and it constantly takes you out of the movie. The storyline is also unbelievably uninteresting and contains a lot of plot holes that they desperately try to cover up during the film. Don't watch this movie, it's an absolute waste of time.

• Jan 31, 2020

Garbage. If I could give it a 0.

Garbage. If I could give it a 0.

• Jan 27, 2020

Based on Alvin Schwartz children horror stories, this horror flick follows a group of teenagers who enter a spooky mansion and uncover a sinister notebook full of stories that might become too real for their taste. An original plot, despite the presence of the many classic tropes of every horror movie. The anthology format was overall entertaining, not reliant on jump scares and the CGI used for the impressive creepy monsters was outstanding and convincing. The ending could have been better though.