Schizopolis Reviews

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

Schizopolis is piled with layers of amusement for the id, ego, and superego. People earn their liberal arts degrees in order to be able to watch and understand this film. Some of it is outright funny (like a man with no pants running around) or weird funny (e.g. an exterminator milkman that talks like the $10,000 Pyramid on Mars), but much of it you have got to get it to get it (not all of it, but some amount); this is, after all, satire and social commentary. So if postmodernism and the contemporary art section of your local museum is not your bag, then you are still probably in the target audience for Schizopolis, but it will likely be a miss. On the other hand, if you are a fan of the 90s era, Office Space and Short Cuts, then Schizopolis may just be your kind of movie.

• May 23, 2015

I like this much better than most other Soderbergh movies. It's hard to watch, but at least it's unique. It somehow manages to be both bland and utterly outlandish.

• Feb 08, 2015

Made me laugh, a lot. The satire is a little obvious (it's, like, we're speaking different languages, think about it, maaaaaaan), but the jokes are first-rate, and Soderbergh the actor has great comic timing and delivery.

• Feb 07, 2014

A modern day L'age D'or, an absurdist treat for those are not deficient in wit. This is a very much a work in the tradition of postmodernism, especially the Foster Wallace kind, fixated on irony and metaphysics.

• Dec 15, 2013

an interesting, fun and sometimes hilarious experimental film. One of the weirder movies i have seen but not in the top 5, there is some sort of plot. Steven Soderbergh stars in this film he directs and is surprisingly a good actor.

• Nov 09, 2013

One of my favorite movies. NOT FOR A QUICK EASY VIEWING, unless you've seen it a lot. If you love Soderberg's films, this is your chance to see directly into his brain and make friends.

• Sep 06, 2013

Nose army. Beef diaper. Mountainous mayonnaise brigade? Falafel. Ambassador jumpsuit landmine. Weevil transgression vociferously imitating squirrels. Pesticide cakewalk, deleterious nun spandex, full river dice moat camp sausage. Crackling oak masters? Plaster dumbwaiter chew. Storms. Simultaneous typewriter storms. Little girl died, old man lightning farther breakage. Salamander baiting principal. Nerve candy marsupials. Quiet obsidian camel files roof wardrobe. Bad nougat chiding, philanthropy hirsute gold shovel. Leaning on Rome makes blue shoes. I should add that I have serious doubts about gravity as well...

• Jul 11, 2013

If its intentionally a failure, I can't say anything bad about it. What I can say is that it might be one of the most thought provoking films ever made.

KJ P Super Reviewer
    Jul 10, 2013

Admiring how bad this film is intended to be, is easy, but accepting the circumstances under which is was made is kind of upsetting. Director Steven Soderbergh had created a film that is truly one of the worst films in cinema, but he is also someone who hates Hollywood and loves the independent Film Industry. It has been very difficult for him to get his films made in the past, even though his films have won Academy Awards in the past. Not one part of this film makes any sense, and that was his intention to give a "F#@K YOU" to the film board. I admire his attempt, but nobody can even comprehend what even happens in this film and every filmmaking aspect is absolutely terrible. This is easily one of the worst films I've ever seen, but because of the circumstances, I'll give it a little credit.

• Mar 24, 2013

While there are some brilliant moments in SCHIZOPOLIS, the sum failed to resonate with me. This is a self-indulgent experiment, and I admire Soderbergh for doing it, but it just never hooked me. Grade: C+